Shuffle/Regroove Newbie

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
graeme75

02 Jul 2019

Hi all

Although I have used Reason for a while, I have shied away from Regroove and Shuffle and have some basic questions about it.

I have a 2 bar shaker loop audio file and want to apply 57% shuffle to it

1) Can i just import the audiom set global shuffle to 57% and choose quantise shuffle on audio clip

2) Would bouncing to rex file and then copy loop to track, and assigning A1 to midi, have the same effect

3) If I put the sample in NN19 or NNXT and drew the C3 midi note in for 2 bars and assigned A1, shuffle the sample?

4) When using Drum Sequencer or Sequences and apllying shuffle. When you choose send to track is the shuffle applied or do you have to then assign a regroove once its in the sequencer?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Cheers
Graeme

PhillipOrdonez

02 Jul 2019

1 never tried to do that, no idea.
2 that should do it
3 no
4 hmm it should be applied, but I don't send to track from drum sequencer so I can't tell, but it definitely should!

guitfnky

02 Jul 2019

these questions drive at my main issue with the Regroove Mixer--that there's no visual feedback to see what's actually being applied. yes, you should always use your ears, but the whole "I moved a knob, so I'm convinced I'm hearing a change even though I've forgotten that the effect is bypassed" phenomenon is a very real thing.

I would love to see the Regroove Mixer and related functionality get an update to provide more clarity, so I can directly see the results of my tweaks. it would all but eliminate my constant quest for a 'humanizer' for MIDI performances (especially drums).
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

reggie1979

02 Jul 2019

I didn't think that regroove worked for audio.

Marco Raaphorst

02 Jul 2019

graeme75 wrote:
02 Jul 2019
Hi all

Although I have used Reason for a while, I have shied away from Regroove and Shuffle and have some basic questions about it.

I have a 2 bar shaker loop audio file and want to apply 57% shuffle to it

1) Can i just import the audiom set global shuffle to 57% and choose quantise shuffle on audio clip

2) Would bouncing to rex file and then copy loop to track, and assigning A1 to midi, have the same effect

3) If I put the sample in NN19 or NNXT and drew the C3 midi note in for 2 bars and assigned A1, shuffle the sample?

4) When using Drum Sequencer or Sequences and apllying shuffle. When you choose send to track is the shuffle applied or do you have to then assign a regroove once its in the sequencer?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Cheers
Graeme
1. you can't shuffle audio-files, only midi parts or rex files. if you put the shuffle at 57% of the Groove Mixer and apply it to a lane that lane gets shuffled perfectly. no need to load a Groove patch, just the shuffle on 57% is a perfect "Roger Linn" shuffle (MPC).

2. yeah you need to bounce it to rex because audio can't be regrooved.

3. no won't work. you need midi notes or rex slices to shuffle, one note can't be shuffled.

4. depends on the device, Redrum when in shuffle mode and then the notes send to the sequencer, the notes are shuffled in the lane. Just try it, you can see the notes being moved on the grid.

If you want to learn everything about groove shuffle, I wrote a long blog post about it: https://melodiefabriek.com/blog/mpc-swing-reason/

[edit: changed you can shuffle into: you can't shuffle]
Last edited by Marco Raaphorst on 02 Jul 2019, edited 1 time in total.

reggie1979

02 Jul 2019

Oh, I didn't know you could do rex files. BTW Marco, I think you meant "can't" after number 1?

Marco Raaphorst

02 Jul 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
02 Jul 2019
Oh, I didn't know you could do rex files. BTW Marco, I think you meant "can't" after number 1?
yes sorry, you can't indeed

reggie1979

02 Jul 2019

I'll have to have a play with the rex files and that. Every day I learn something new in Reason, it's the gift that never stops giving......

reggie1979

02 Jul 2019

Ok, so it's kinda complex and can introduce unwanted artifacts.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

02 Jul 2019

You CAN shuffle audio.
Open the audio clip in slice edit
Make sure/adjust markers so the are at the right place and at each transient you want to quantize (especially every second/odd 1/16th)
Select all markers (ctrl+A)
In the sequence transport bar select groove and click on quantize - done!
Not happy, check you GLOBAL quantize setting in the Groove Mixer, that is what is being used (default is 62%)
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

soroc sosta

02 Jul 2019

guitfnky wrote:
02 Jul 2019
visual feedback to see what's actually being applied.
Yes, Please!

PhillipOrdonez

02 Jul 2019

guitfnky wrote:
02 Jul 2019
these questions drive at my main issue with the Regroove Mixer--that there's no visual feedback to see what's actually being applied. yes, you should always use your ears, but the whole "I moved a knob, so I'm convinced I'm hearing a change even though I've forgotten that the effect is bypassed" phenomenon is a very real thing.

I would love to see the Regroove Mixer and related functionality get an update to provide more clarity, so I can directly see the results of my tweaks. it would all but eliminate my constant quest for a 'humanizer' for MIDI performances (especially drums).
You can definitely hear shuffle though. If you want to see it, commit to groove... I don't see a benefit to have any visual feedback on something that is about feel, and whose fishes are so minute you have to be zoomed right in to be able to see anything 🤷‍♂️

guitfnky

03 Jul 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
02 Jul 2019
guitfnky wrote:
02 Jul 2019

You can definitely hear shuffle though. If you want to see it, commit to groove... I don't see a benefit to have any visual feedback on something that is about feel, and whose fishes are so minute you have to be zoomed right in to be able to see anything 🤷‍♂️
I don’t use the shuffle very often, but you’re right about hearing shuffle easily. that said, there would definitely be benefits to actually being able to see what’s going on. maybe not useful for you particularly, but it would help me out immensely (and I assume others as well).

for instance, sometimes I’ll record audio and extract the groove from that to apply it to a stale-sounding beat. without any sort of visual feedback, I have to crank the settings every time I do just to be sure it worked. I shouldn’t have to. it’s too easy to think “okay, that feels better”, even though—as I mentioned—the psychological effect of “hearing” a change that isn’t even applied can easily cloud your decisions. seeing what’s happening would alleviate that.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information