(New EP / Electronic) - Unknown Species

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2023

I've tinkered with these tracks endlessly the last couple of weeks. Many of you have already heard the work-in-progress versions. And it's finally time to let go of them. The project is DONE! No more tweaks.

This is my project "Unknown Species".
Even though every track is very different from each other, the project has circled around a couple of themes/ideas. The main part is the album image, which I generated with the use of AI. For whatever reason the picture inspired me to start of a new musical project. So all the tracks have in some way drawn inspiration from the album image and it set the tone for the entire project.
Musically I've kept things electronic, yet I wanted to have somewhat of an organic feel to it. Meaning a lot of sounds in this project are a bit randomized. Oscillators and LFOs behaving a bit unpredictable. With every render of a song I got a sligthly different "take". Many sounds (even drums) are also not perfectly quantized.
The Valley Plateau reverb by Murf has been a big part of this project. It's in every track for both "regular" and more experimental (heavily modulated) reverb use. The songs would not have ended up the way they did without it.

Some instruments used in this project: Objekt, Oberon, ProjectSAM, Legend, Ivoks, ES101, FM4, Malström, Transcendent 2000, Megasaur, Parsec, Europa.

The album and individual tracks are available for free at my Bandcamp page in case anyone is interested in that.
Enjoy! :puf_smile:

TheMiles

19 Aug 2023

Thats a very nice ep. Listenened to all of it and i liked it very much :)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Aug 2023

TheMiles wrote:
19 Aug 2023
Thats a very nice ep. Listenened to all of it and i liked it very much :)
Thanks. Nice to hear. I worked pretty hard on this project and became quite obsessed towards the end of it. The last phase with the endless tweaking is always the worst. So it's kind of a relief to finally let go of it. :puf_smile:

Quarmat
Competition Winner

20 Aug 2023

Great work, stellar sound design and clean production: hitting hard and with sniper-like elegance. This could be amazing BG music for a videogame. Good job.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Aug 2023

Quarmat wrote:
20 Aug 2023
Great work, stellar sound design and clean production: hitting hard and with sniper-like elegance. This could be amazing BG music for a videogame. Good job.
Thanks, appreciate it.
Yes I can see how this could fit in a game, though that wasn't the original intention behind it.

TheGodOfRainbows

11 Sep 2023

Great stuff. "Squashed" and "Preparation" just get me pumped. The drums are so nice. The mix sounds huge. Yes, compatible with game music me thinks as well. A lot of your stuff is I think. But, still it's great music in it's own right. Solid work as always Tritone.

Very interesting collection of devices used. Thanks for including it. I have the Transcendent 2000 as well. Pretty simple device, but it has such a cool lo-fi quality that really gives it character. I bought it almost right away.

selig
RE Developer

12 Sep 2023

Love this, very 'visual' because I immediately drifted off in my imagination when this started playing. Nice work all round, writing/arranging/mixing etc.
Selig Audio, LLC

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

13 Sep 2023

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
11 Sep 2023
Great stuff. "Squashed" and "Preparation" just get me pumped. The drums are so nice. The mix sounds huge. Yes, compatible with game music me thinks as well. A lot of your stuff is I think. But, still it's great music in it's own right. Solid work as always Tritone.

Very interesting collection of devices used. Thanks for including it. I have the Transcendent 2000 as well. Pretty simple device, but it has such a cool lo-fi quality that really gives it character. I bought it almost right away.
Thanks. :puf_smile:
Yes the drums are a huge part of those two songs. Lots of processing going on.

Agree, Transcendent 2000 is a cool device. And adding distortion to it, especially on basses makes it even better. I like how T2000 randomizes the pitch slightly every note as well.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

13 Sep 2023

selig wrote:
12 Sep 2023
Love this, very 'visual' because I immediately drifted off in my imagination when this started playing. Nice work all round, writing/arranging/mixing etc.
Thanks. Lately I've watched a lot of videos on art. I'm pretty sure that has affected how I've written these tunes. So if you feel they are "visual", I don't think that's a coincidense. I think I mentioned in an earlier thread that with the "Butterfly" track I almost see it more as a painting than a song.

Even though there are melodies and stuff on this EP. They aren't very complicated. I feel like the sounds themselves played a bigger role in this project.

FrankJaeger

13 Sep 2023

This is a great body of work.
The person who said it would fit well in a video game was right. Preparation especially sounds like theme music for a final boss. I also liked butterfly which to me sounded like a gentle interlude before Preparation kicks you in the teeth (the most pleasant tooth kicking I've ever experienced by the way XD).
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

16 Sep 2023

FrankJaeger wrote:
13 Sep 2023
This is a great body of work.
The person who said it would fit well in a video game was right. Preparation especially sounds like theme music for a final boss. I also liked butterfly which to me sounded like a gentle interlude before Preparation kicks you in the teeth (the most pleasant tooth kicking I've ever experienced by the way XD).
Thanks, glad you like it. :puf_smile:

• Information