[TECHNO] I HATE BELLEVILLE

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
danc

02 May 2022

It's believed that Detroit Techno all began with the BELLEVILLE THREE - 3 guys.... Juan Atkins, Derrick May and Kevin Saunderson. They all went to high school in Belleville, which is 30 miles from Detroit. Hence the band name. Racism was a serious issue at their school and they experienced it first hand as they were among the very few blacks students. In a rare interview they frankly talk about the abuse they received in Belleville. The track I made today takes snippets from that interview - hence the name I HATE BELLEVILLE. I've left ONE "N" word in there - just to keep it authentic, as they are talking about the despicable names they were called and how much they hated it, wanted to get back to Detroit as fast as possible. They said it loads in the interview... but I know it's highly offensive and so... I decided to blur it out in most places.

I wanted this track to have a very loose groove - as if it were created back in the early days of techno... in the days when not everything was super tight in a modern DAW. The drums in places intentionally go out of time - whilst trying to not make them annoying! The melody drifts. Tuning drifts. Loads of LFO, detuning, automation. Etc. I've left in the rough audio quality of the interview, as it kind of helps the track gel and feel authentic.

The kick is created from scratch in KICK 2. The bassline is something I created from scratch in SERUM. Most of the drum top/perc are 909's. With a little bit of 808.

No doubt UMAN will tell me that melody and vocals are an abuse on his ears. Good!!! I'm glad they are.
Check my Soundcloud:

dioxide

02 May 2022

Interesting bit of trivia: the Belleville three myth was created by a journalist hired by the guy who did the first UK Techno compilations, Neil Rushton. It effectively wrote out everyone else involved in the scene and made it look like the music was invented by three people. It's also taken years for it to come out that one of the three, Derrick May, stole some of his music from other people. Some of this music was credited to Derrick and collaborators, but in at least one case the track was entirely written by someone else.

Uman's

02 May 2022

Danc wrote:No doubt UMAN will tell me that melody and vocals are an abuse on his ears. Good!!! I'm glad they are.
Oh the rascal ! :lol:

What do you want me to say ? it is very bad ! :puf_bigsmile:

well no ! i like it so much ! :clap:

I like what you did, it reminds me of my youth with "Afrika Bambataa" but also up to the "Chemical Brothers".

Your voices are well placed, well mixed, well worked in their sound and the
person who speaks adds something terrible.

In my favorites ! :exclamation:
- Former member of the disappeared forum "Reason France" -

danc

04 May 2022

Uman's wrote:
02 May 2022
Danc wrote:No doubt UMAN will tell me that melody and vocals are an abuse on his ears. Good!!! I'm glad they are.
Oh the rascal ! :lol:

What do you want me to say ? it is very bad ! :puf_bigsmile:

well no ! i like it so much ! :clap:

I like what you did, it reminds me of my youth with "Afrika Bambataa" but also up to the "Chemical Brothers".

Your voices are well placed, well mixed, well worked in their sound and the
person who speaks adds something terrible.

In my favorites ! :exclamation:
THANKS UMAN... glad you appreciate it. I've just posted another track CONTROL... which I think you might like (HATE!)
Check my Soundcloud:

Uman's

04 May 2022

I'm going to listen to this song again, for me the best these days.

Thanks again !
- Former member of the disappeared forum "Reason France" -

craste

07 May 2022

Great stuff! Like it.

Neo

07 May 2022

Interesting listen/read here:

:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

Dabbler

07 May 2022

groovy