(Space Music) Other Places / Other Spaces

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Benedict
Competition Winner

05 Oct 2016

Hi All

https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2016/10/0 ... er-spaces/

Rather proud of this one. Music by me and paintings by Shane Drinkwater
http://www.facebook.com/shane.drinkwater.7
http://www.instagram.com/shane_drinkwater

I made all of this pretty quickly after my last record "Monuments of Man" partly because I felt that I had missed some of the main things I wanted to do; freeform playing and longer tracks with less structure. With 20 min tracks and sometimes no moused-in notes at all I think I got that covered.

Of course 100% Reason:

"Releasing Events" has a great pitch slide and it was Solaris that stepped up for this. This is a sound you can't use or even get right too often but when it works... I have to thank Billy Idol (or maybe Keith Forsey) for introducing me to this sound/effect.

"A New Sense of Order" is 95% eXpanse and was my Comp entry.The choir sound is Thor. Still conflicted about buying eXpanse in part because I am so tempted by UVI Falcon - but that means the PITA of a second app or even another computer as while UVI claim low CPU I see some concerning numbers on demo vids.

"Becoming Transformation" completes my promise to Love One when I scored their catalog in the Vibro Song Comp; lots of Vibro, Neutron and Phone Simulator.

"Cosmos of Peace" is essentially 7 gong sounds made in Thor, Sub, Mal, Vibro, JPS Harmonic & Parsec. I think the Parsec sound is the winner for accuracy. This track is my take on Gong Meditation - sans gongs of course. I found that Onyx really let me down on Finalizing this one as the peaky sounds caused some really nasty distortion, no matter how much I limited before Onyx. Meant I had to default to M-Class and lose the lovely sparkle I usually use Onyx for. It does seem a shame that a mastering unit can't be used because it is unable to handle levels.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2016

Have only listened to 10 mins and so far, really like it... Will have proper time over the next few days to sit down and really listen to it.

Wish there was more pics and with a very subtle movement..A koyaanisqatsi type movie would fit this music very well....(feeling inspired)..

Benedict
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2016

Thanks Carly

I knew it would be only 10 mins before some said more pics and make em move.

Sure it may seem nice o the surface but that would be to miss the idea. Think of it as like meditation. You generally don't do that whilst skipping about the shopping center. if you look at the image steadily, it is only a matter of time before it starts to "move" of its own accord.

Of course, I would LOVE to score to some sort of movie so if you have one...

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2016

Benedict wrote:Thanks Carly

I knew it would be only 10 mins before some said more pics and make em move.

Sure it may seem nice o the surface but that would be to miss the idea. Think of it as like meditation. You generally don't do that whilst skipping about the shopping center. if you look at the image steadily, it is only a matter of time before it starts to "move" of its own accord.

Of course, I would LOVE to score to some sort of movie so if you have one...

Totally understand where you are coming from as it was moving for me as I had it full screen on my 49" 4k screen.

However I just did a little test playing your music over the star\circular pic (end one), with it zooming in over a ten min period and then slowly rotating again over several minutes, I found doing that took me on more of a journey, it enhanced the whole experience lifting your sound track making it deeper and seeing a lot more different aspects of the picture. Would love to put a video together with just the pics you have (no ties, you can have the full rights etc)...

Benedict
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2016

Thanks Carly. No need to skite about your uber tv LOL

Also thanks for the offer. I'm suddenly getting a lot of Facebook friends thru Shane so maybe one or two of them will want the Benedict treatment too. I only use Windows Live Movie Maker so options are a bit limited. This is where I would really like to make the video inside of Reason. That way things would be really easy to sync and control.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2016

I use powerdirector and also have VideoStudio, I think Videostudio is more powerful however I mainly use PowerDirector as it's easier and quicker, you can add labels\markers to tracks (talking video \ sound \titles\ tracks here)which helps a lot and they both have a lot effects and beat markers.

If you were to look at them I would wait until Black Friday as they do silly deals also go to coupon sites and get even more discounts.

But my offer still stands if you would like me to do something...

Benedict
Competition Winner

07 Oct 2016

Thanks Carly. I will have to remember that as I don't feel that I am good at video at all. Always hopd someone who liked video and wanted music would ask to team up but seems people rarely ask these days.

I will try to offer you the next video tho and see what you do for me.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Koncide

07 Oct 2016

Now I feel like the first human to reach Alpha Centauri.

Really nice vibes man, great work :)

How did you make the two pad sounds at around the 7:30 mark may I ask?
Ambient garage vibes.

jappe

08 Oct 2016

I'm on a short visit in Winchester UK, sitting in the hotel bar enjoying a nice Irish Coffee after a day of photography.
Perfect time to listen to Other Places!

Your music paints a beautiful complex audio landscape. It's inspiring and doesn't just disappear after listening.
Almost like some psychachoustic brainwave modulator.

I've played world of warcraft and other mmorpgs quite a bit, and some of what I hear here would fit very well into the music played in some darker or mysterious zone.
It triggers the imagination, which I think is the most important part of any art.

There must be some movie or game yet to come that will be complete with your music!

Technically, I have nothing else to say than Very Well Done.

Benedict
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2016

Koncide wrote:Now I feel like the first human to reach Alpha Centauri.

Really nice vibes man, great work :)

How did you make the two pad sounds at around the 7:30 mark may I ask?
Thanks Jappe. I would be happy to do a game soundtrack but like movies it is more in who you know.

The lower one was, if I recall correctly, an NNXT with two samples (or more) I have made from sampling other synth patches; and while designed to play really low, had a really lovely flutey sound up high. The other is a stringy thing that is most likely pure Thor.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

altron

09 Oct 2016

Nice work Benedict! Are you on Soundcloud by any chance? I'd like to follow you since you're also producing ambient and drone music.
Trap is where music goes to die.

Benedict
Competition Winner

09 Oct 2016

altron wrote:Nice work Benedict! Are you on Soundcloud by any chance? I'd like to follow you since you're also producing ambient and drone music.
yes, on SC but it is not a serious platform for me

Benedict Roff-Marsh

yeahright31

13 Oct 2016

Benedict, Love the tunes, very relaxing.
I remember making a space sounding tune and wanted to create a few of them, then started the 2nd track and found out it's no easy task to get that space feel/sound and just bang out one after the other. Made me feel it was some fluke because it all formed fast like about 20 minutes, ha, happy accidents for me sometimes.

Anyway great tunes buddy thanks for the share.

Benedict
Competition Winner

13 Oct 2016

Thanks.

It is another art to learn not to fill the space as dance music tends to, but define, or shape, it with your sounds. All whilst still keeping some sense of story...

Benedict Roff-Marsh

• Information