A question for Reason 9 users- about the Line 6 Amps

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
yeahright31

15 Jul 2016

What happens to those old refills that contain Line 6 amps to shape the sound, does the distortion effect just get removed? or does the Soft Tube amp replace the missing Line 6 effect within the refill?

I'm still using Reason 8.4 and been wondering if anyone can share what happens in this situation ??
I do own the Soft tube amps.

am0eba

15 Jul 2016

When you try to load a song file that uses Line 6 devices, there's a pop-up that warns you about it, and you can continue - in which case, the Line 6 devices are replaced by Softube devices in bypass mode - or you can cancel loading the song. Unlike earlier versions of Reason, it's fairly easy to keep two versions installed on a single computer. I keep V8.3 in its own folder in the Applications folder on my Mac, and have a shortcut for V9.0 in the dock. Whenever I run into a song that used Line 6 devices, I cancel loading in V9.0, then go to the V8.3 folder and run Reason from there. (Whenever I switch versions, OS X requires me to enter an admin password, as if it is doing an install, but otherwise, Reason loads up and runs at what seems to be the normal speed.)

So then I load up the song with the Line 6 device(s), and just open up every combinator and look for them. When I spot one, I bounce the track to a new audio track in the song, muting the original, but keeping it. Then I save the song from V8.3, switch to V9.0, open the song file, select "continue" from the warning pop-up dialog, and then work on the track. Keeping the original devices allows me to go back - if I ever feel the need - to V8.3 and tweak the Line 6 version. Also, be sure to save the V8.3 version and NOT overwrite it in V9.0. (I give the V9.0 version a new name and save it in a new output folder.) So, now, in V9.0, I can go back and forth between the original track, adjusting the Softube devices, and/or adding other devices or replacing the softube devices, until I get a sound that matches the bounced audio track.

It's harder than it should be, but easier than they might have made it be... At least you get the warning when loading into V9...

_Dave_
:reason: :re: :refill: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :record: :rt:
"F" the ineffable! 
My music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, Spotify and CDBaby - more info:
http://2little2late.org/am0eba/

Last Alternative

15 Jul 2016

I will forever boycott Line 6 due to their neglect of Reason the moment we got those amps, as well as their unacceptable customer service. They never once fixed bugs, never once updated or enhanced their product, and never once responded to me and I wouldn't be surprised if Propellerhead is the one who ended the contract.
Besides, those amps sounded like thin fake guitars anyway. Nothing beats a real amp but the Softube and Kuassa amps are far better than Line 6.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

• Information