StudioComp / Bass & Guitar compressor

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
turn2on
RE Developer

21 Apr 2023

https://reasonstudios.com/shop/rack-ext ... ompressor/

STUDIOCOMP is an easily controllable and flexible compressor inspired by the well-known
hardware compressor pedals (Bass Compressor™ and Studio Compressor™) from MXR®

The wide range of Attack times (up to the 800ms) and Release times (up to the 1.1s) with Ratio (from 4:1 up to the 20:1) helps to make STUDIOCOMP a flexible compressor for BASS, Guitar or any other incoming signals.

The basic compressor controls (Attack, Release, Ratio, Input and Output) make it easy to fine-tune your sound compression level from subtle peak limiting to squashed compression with visual feedback.

STUDIOCOMP also includes a Threshold control (with range -60 .. 0 dB), that sets the audio level above which compression is applied.

Available RATIO steps 4:1, 6:1, 8:1, 10:1 work more
as compression, whereas steps 12:1, 16:1. 20:1 work more as a limiter

SLAM option Boosts the compression ratio so much so that the output gets quieter as the input gets louder.

Try out STUDIOCOMP, the easy to use transparent compressor with plenty of headroom and clear perfomance from the Bass and Guitar world.

All product names, artists and bands names, trademarks, and registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners. All company, product, and service names used are for identification purposes only and are not intended to infringe on the copyrights of their respective owners. Use of these names, trademarks, brands, artists’ names does not imply any affiliation or cooperation with or endorsement by them with Turn2on. These product names and descriptions are provided for the sole purpose of identifying the tonal characteristics of specific products that were studied during the sound modeling process and for describing certain types of tones produced with current algorithms.

steff3

25 Apr 2023

Haha, `studiocomp` and compressor pedals somehow does not go well together in my head ;) but of course, on they way to the desk there might be some pedals as well ;)

Cheers

turn2on
RE Developer

25 Apr 2023

:D play of words. Studio Compressor pedal history: Guitarists try to use lovely Bassists pedal "Bass Compressor", and MXR just create the copy of the "Bass Compressor" in new design for all musicians, with absoluely the same parameters, named this pedal as "Studio Compressor"

https://davisguitar.com/wp-content/uplo ... Comp...jpg
https://mirm.ru/info/img_1200/CNT48768.jpg

turn2on
RE Developer

25 Apr 2023

Current Combinator 2 patches have bugs, already fixed in upcoming update.
Patches includes 4 official presets of the pedal, and 18 additional various guitarists and bassists experience settings.
Update coming soon.

moalla

25 Apr 2023

Where are the sound examples, what‘s the especial thing with this comp, if it‘s build by GE and not a direct emulation of the original mxr effect or compared with a lindell 7x500 comp for example what can produce this whomp sound?
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

turn2on
RE Developer

25 Apr 2023

According to the audio examples, they are not available at the moment but at the stage of creating a demo.
If you pay attention to compressors as such, this is not a static effect for certain tasks, but a very intuitive processor. Which can be tested during the trial. Even in the RE store, most of the compressors do not have a demo at all. But this does not mean that this plugin will not have a demo. I agree that audio examples are the most revealing. But often the emphasis on the demo kills the interest in the trial of such devices, not because of the possibilities, but the correctness of the demo.

What is special about this compressor if it is developed within GE?
Let's start with what a compressor is - these are few main components:
- amplifier scheme: FET / OPTO / VCA
- a signal envelope detector that gives the character of the compression curve
- output stage block
GE's capabilities allow you to create compression of various types, as well as to vary the signal env detector that forms the nature of compression.

According to this compressor, it is especially that it is inspired by one of the popular guitar compressors in the pedalboards of guitarists and bass guitarists.
The original pedal uses typical FET compression in the style of Urei 1176. FET-compressors very usable for drums, bass, guitar, vocal. Because FET is about linear-voltage changes. That make sound better for aggressive and heavy sounds like electric guitar,
StudioComp is a compressor based on FET algorithms that is based on the field-effect-transistors scheme.
It is a mistake to believe that GE is a constructor of a pair of blocks that allow you to statically screw a pair of knobs on the compression unit, which will not affect the sound in any way.
This compressor is the first in a series of our boutique pedal plug-ins, and not the last, so you will be able to compare them yourself in the near future. Putting a clear question, whether you should try and compare them. Or solve the issue of their work exclusively by demo.

at the time of the development of several plug-ins in the pedal series, it will take some time to create worthwhile comparative demos for several types of compression pedals that are being worked on.
At near future we present VCA-chip based compressor (we not write "emulation"), inspired by DynaComp line.

mdcmdcmdc

16 May 2023

Hi there - just want to clarify, when you say the ATTACK times are up to "800ms" (milliseconds) is that a typo? The range of the attack on the original is 20μs to 800μs (microseconds).

turn2on
RE Developer

17 May 2023

You were not mistaken.
In mass, compressors have a range in the flow of studio work in the ranges of 1-10 ms as fast, 10-30 as normal, 30-300 ms and above as slow compression. These ranges are characterized as the most suitable for studio tasks.

If we take the drums as a basis, then 15-30 ms is the most acceptable range in operation.

1-10 ms range, measured in ms, is suitable for dynamic control, and the situational moment there is no need to eliminate interference. It is well suited for vocals, voices, wind instruments, strings.
A value of less than 1 ms is to emphasize the veil of compressed sound.

Many hardware compressors have, among other things, a range in microseconds too.

The frequency of the lowest string of the bass guitar is 42 Hz. This corresponds to a period of 24 ms. When you compress a bass guitar and set the attack time to less than 30 milliseconds, you can expect distortion at the lowest notes. And the shorter the attack, the more distortion you hear. Or you do not hear under conditions of distortion below the main signal, but it remains represented by distortion.

if we take 40 Hz or as the lowest frequency representing the bass guitar, even though the percussion drum is likely to sound lower, then we can consider 30 milliseconds the shortest safe attack time for anything. Round up these 30 milliseconds to 50 to avoid distortion.

But often when compressing vocals, instruments whose frequency does not decrease to 40 Hz. In this case, you can use a shorter attack.

Now I will answer the question about RE:
There are many opinions on forums that MXR may have a typo in manual, or is it really microseconds that already affect transients.
We released the compressor as slow for basic studio tasks (called StudioComp for a reason), but at the same time we mean using the compressor in the original range. That is why, for the convenience of work when choosing tasks, we decided to divide the work of the attack into three modes.
The version with the modes, include one of the original pedal, the main range and the current mode is waiting for the publication of the device update. The update should be published at near time.

Panel_Front_2Uppy.png
Panel_Front_2Uppy.png (113.68 KiB) Viewed 1028 times

mdcmdcmdc

17 May 2023

Thank you - i'll look forward to the update!

If memory serves, an 1176 has a range of about 50μs-800μs, and the mxr is a clone of that compressor so the 20-800μs range makes sense. I can understand the confusion in the forums about that, since it's so much faster than a standard compressor.

It'll be great to have access to an 1176 in RE format again, now that the softube and DCAM options are gone.

selig
RE Developer

17 May 2023

mdcmdcmdc wrote:
17 May 2023
It'll be great to have access to an 1176 in RE format again, now that the softube and DCAM options are gone.
Is this device actually an 1176 clones, with the odd ratio behavior, time constants, and a feedback (as opposed to feed forward) design internally?

Great story about MXR compressors turn2on!
Selig Audio, LLC

mdcmdcmdc

17 May 2023

My understanding is that the MXR pedal is an 1176 clone, but I haven't tried to track down a schematic or anything. So I would imagine that an RE cloning the MXR box would (indirectly?) be an 1176 clone too...

selig
RE Developer

17 May 2023

mdcmdcmdc wrote:
17 May 2023
My understanding is that the MXR pedal is an 1176 clone, but I haven't tried to track down a schematic or anything. So I would imagine that an RE cloning the MXR box would (indirectly?) be an 1176 clone too...
Not sure MXR is a clone, since no attempt was made to model the transformers from what I’ve read. Folks review the MXR as a ‘clean’ and ‘transparent’ compressor and I’d never use those words on the 1176 which I’d say is a compressor to reach for when you want to obviously compress and color something!
I would only use the word “clone” when a device is designed to replace another device without (or with minimal) compromise. The MXR is not thus in my terms a “clone” of the 1176 but rather an 1176 “style” compressor. With a clone you want to publish specs and produce audio comparison that show how close they are to each other, if just to show off your hard work!

Time will tell, and IMO it doesn’t have to be a clone or even close to a clone to be an extremely useful device!
Selig Audio, LLC

mdcmdcmdc

17 May 2023

Fair enough - "workalike" is maybe a better term.

Based on the few comparison videos out there and some anecdotal reports from forums etc the pedal seems to very competently do 'the thing' to drums and holds up against the hardware and the more accurate software implementations.

All that is to say, I'm looking forward to the update from Turn2On that adds the true-to-original attack times; it would be nice to A/B it against the UAD versions of the 1176 and see how similar it behaves.

turn2on
RE Developer

17 May 2023

MXR before releasing the M87 pedal, make rumours about their pedal as "1176 in the pedal box" at the NAMM. But never write that this is a 1176.
From other side Cali76 pedal as example, is presented as real 1176 pedal. 1176 have transformers, with harmonics addition.
And Cali76 does not use transformers.

Fast attack & release times will result in distortion artefacts, higher harmonics. This is more audible at the low-freq signals.
Urei 1176 is a FET compressor. Allows alteration of the speed of the gain reduction, with attack times that can range between 20 to 800 microseconds.
So we build this StudioComp on the FET typology compressor (based on the FET compression algorithm).
MXR not claim that they duplicated 100% transistor path of 1176, but they are basing same response of ratio, attack, release.

We not have original 1176 to compare, and variant only to test UAD 1176 for compare, but this is a talks more about MXR/1176UAD compare from the start. FET compression, with the same response characteristics.

So, D.CAM BusComp RE have Attack steps as 0.1/0.3/1/30 ms values. Anyway StudioComp RE modes include this values in update.

turn2on
RE Developer

17 May 2023

Also need to add next. The sound would just be distorted If we talk about fast attack in small mms values as the gain changes. Fast mms Attack must be unusable if this is real gain changes in mms.
I think that this fast attack range in mms is no the gain changes, and this is more about work of the fast envelope detector, as pre part of compressor, when real actual gain changes is slower. In this way this can work nice without real distortion, and attack time really at minimal mms values can be smoothed longer than it’s written in specs, where no open info (does it attack time of compression or envelope detection?).
If we listen distortion - this is a gain changes, if not - envelope detector value with very fast env attack and smoothed (longer) comp attack.

As I already written before, envelope detector formally build the compression character.
And we try to open power of this with another DynaComp style VCA compressor

turn2on
RE Developer

17 Jun 2023

STUDIOCOMP 1.1.0 Update:

- 2 new Compressor Attack Time modes:
SLOW attack time mode is used by default (20 .. 800 ms).
MAIN moderate attack time mode (800 mcs .. 20 ms).
FAST attack time mode (20 .. 800 mcs) from the original pedal.
- some GUI changes
- Soft Knee control

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ompressor/

crimsonwarlock

17 Jun 2023

I was waiting for this update. Thanks.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

mdcmdcmdc

22 Jun 2023

Excellent - thanks!

• Information