Re173 Preamp & EQ

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Bes
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2022

- Certified Reason expert

Bes
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2022

The Neve 1073 was an instant hit, and it remains the most desirable Class A discrete transistor mic preamp to this day. What made the original 1073 stand out was the tone. Thick and warm with a mid-forward presence and a smooth top end, it created a tone that sat beautifully in the mix. As Rupert himself admitted, this was mostly due to the input and output transformers. The input transformer was manufactured by Marinair (Radar) of Harlow, UK, and later by St. Ives Windings (now Carnhill). The output transformer was developed for over a year prior to the release of the 1073, and was co-designed and manufactured by Marinair.
- Certified Reason expert

Steedus
Competition Winner

25 Apr 2022

Looks good 👍 I use the IK 81 a lot. Great eq. this is much cheaper.

selig
RE Developer

25 Apr 2022

Bes wrote:
24 Apr 2022

The Neve 1073 was an instant hit, and it remains the most desirable Class A discrete transistor mic preamp to this day. What made the original 1073 stand out was the tone. Thick and warm with a mid-forward presence and a smooth top end, it created a tone that sat beautifully in the mix. As Rupert himself admitted, this was mostly due to the input and output transformers. The input transformer was manufactured by Marinair (Radar) of Harlow, UK, and later by St. Ives Windings (now Carnhill). The output transformer was developed for over a year prior to the release of the 1073, and was co-designed and manufactured by Marinair.
Indeed, the EQ curves are easy to duplicate with most EQs (I include starting points with ColoringEQ), its the iron thats a bit more difficult to replicate IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

dvdrtldg

25 Apr 2022

This sounds pretty good, I've been running a very unscientific comparison with Waves Scheps 73 and to these ears it holds up well. Lacks the Drive function of the Waves version, which is too aggressive anyway so no great loss

Mataya

25 Apr 2022

So is this just a curve eq in a familiar designed box, or does it at least tries to emulate input output transformers?

M

dvdrtldg

25 Apr 2022

The preamp is very subtle - no audible colouration at all unless you also crank the input to max/output to zero. Then you'll get some nice harmonics via the mic gain - and some not so nice ones via the line gain, which only seem to kick in at the very top of the dial

Red Rock

26 Apr 2022

Mataya wrote:
25 Apr 2022
So is this just a curve eq in a familiar designed box, or does it at least tries to emulate input output transformers?

M
The fact is that analog filters are not as accurate as digital ones. If you set the Q and Freq parameters on the digital filter, then over the entire gain range this will be the same parameters. In analog filters, every 0.1 dB has a shift of all parameters, only full step-by-step filter emulation can repeat this, plus an emulation of the behavior of transformer blocks. Therefore, equalizers like ColoringEQ are a compromise solution that conditionally emulate analog Eq curves, and they do not emulate the behavior of transformers at all
IMO

selig
RE Developer

26 Apr 2022

Red Rock wrote:
26 Apr 2022
Mataya wrote:
25 Apr 2022

M
The fact is that analog filters are not as accurate as digital ones. If you set the Q and Freq parameters on the digital filter, then over the entire gain range this will be the same parameters. In analog filters, every 0.1 dB has a shift of all parameters, only full step-by-step filter emulation can repeat this, plus an emulation of the behavior of transformer blocks. Therefore, equalizers like ColoringEQ are a compromise solution that conditionally emulate analog Eq curves, and they do not emulate the behavior of transformers at all
IMO
Hugs from your friends at Selig Audio, makers of fine compromise solutions such as ColoringEQ!
Selig Audio, LLC

Red Rock

26 Apr 2022

Without a doubt, ColoringEQ is a great equalizer.
But, it is far from emulating analog equalizers (meaning the exact behavior of all sections of the equipment, and not just an approximate repetition of equalizer curves).
IMO

moofi

03 May 2022

Thank you, trialed, put it on a sum, bought it :-D
Btw love your EQs :thumbs_up:

dioxide

01 Apr 2023

Demoing this and it sounds good but there is a digital squeaking / crackling as I change settings. I think there needs to be some smoothing on the controls as this is something I've encountered when beta testing other REs.

supersmarter

18 May 2024

dioxide wrote:
01 Apr 2023
Demoing this and it sounds good but there is a digital squeaking / crackling as I change settings. I think there needs to be some smoothing on the controls as this is something I've encountered when beta testing other REs.
Reviving this thread. I don't hear any squeaking and crackling. That must be something with your audio interface setup otherwise other people would have reported it.

I compared this EQ to the UAD version and I got almost the same result sometimes a bit different and better. You can drive the drums with this (input-output is important to tweak) and it sounds amazing and almost the same as the UAD version. And UAD version is known to be the best of all of them.

One notable difference is that the input on UAD is stepped while here you need to continuously drive. I prefer this one as it is a much finer way to drive,

I am purchasing this while it is on sale. A little of this goes a long way. Fantastic.

Since this developer is so good I wish him to replicate Helios 69 from UAD. Make it so that you can drive it like you did with Re173 - continuously instead of stepping. UAD Helios whose saturation and EQ curves are fantastic. There are only two versions of Helios 69 on the market. UAD and Pluginalliance. So it seems to me there could be place for another.

• Information