mDSQ - Lectric Panda Micro Drum Sequencer in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MattLeschuck

02 Nov 2021

dioxide wrote:
02 Nov 2021
Redrum has 3 velocity levels (30, 80 and 127) so it would be nice if mDSQ was able to set default velocity levels when programming.
The little squares next to the velocity toggle allow you to do exactly this.

rcbuse
RE Developer

02 Nov 2021

dioxide wrote:
02 Nov 2021

Finally there is still no way to match how Redrum handles pattern changes relative to the sequencer. That's on RS/PH though as they still haven't figured out a solution for this in their own devices.
Can you elaborate on this ? I can't think of what more could be added for pattern changes...

artotaku

02 Nov 2021

rcbuse wrote:
02 Nov 2021
dioxide wrote:
02 Nov 2021

Finally there is still no way to match how Redrum handles pattern changes relative to the sequencer. That's on RS/PH though as they still haven't figured out a solution for this in their own devices.
Can you elaborate on this ? I can't think of what more could be added for pattern changes...
Pattern change in Redrum and Matrix is synced to the next bar. This is what none of the pattern player devices do, including the RS ones.

RandomNoise

02 Nov 2021

This might be off topic but ever since I'm using Reason Rack in Ableton Live I wished there was a way to switch patterns with keyboard notes instead of automation. Not sure why as far as I know none of the sequencers with patterns work like that..
The automation works amazing inside of Reason as a native however.

artotaku

02 Nov 2021

RandomNoise wrote:
02 Nov 2021
This might be off topic but ever since I'm using Reason Rack in Ableton Live I wished there was a way to switch patterns with keyboard notes instead of automation. Not sure why as far as I know none of the sequencers with patterns work like that..
A workaround at least - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7524537&p=571941&hi ... ns#p571941

rcbuse
RE Developer

02 Nov 2021

artotaku wrote:
02 Nov 2021
rcbuse wrote:
02 Nov 2021

Pattern change in Redrum and Matrix is synced to the next bar. This is what none of the pattern player devices do, including the RS ones.
Ah! that is interesting, I never knew that.. it behaves differently when live then when using the Pattern Lane Automation. That might might be an easy optional feature to add in the future..

RandomNoise

02 Nov 2021

artotaku wrote:
02 Nov 2021
RandomNoise wrote:
02 Nov 2021
A workaround at least - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7524537&p=571941&hi ... ns#p571941
Ah! very interesting :thumbup:

artotaku

02 Nov 2021

rcbuse wrote:
02 Nov 2021
artotaku wrote:
02 Nov 2021

Ah! that is interesting, I never knew that.. it behaves differently when live then when using the Pattern Lane Automation. That might might be an easy optional feature to add in the future..
I had a discussion with RoboticBean about this exact topic since I also wanted this for Sequences and seems to be of a quite unfortunate way how RS implemented the pattern handling in the SDK for players (conflict between pattern change automation and syncing the device from another source, e. g. user input, CV input, etc).
It´s funny that not a lot of people know that the old stock pattern devices Redrum and Matrix are always synced to next bar when pattern is changed by user input or CV input but none of the newer RS player devices do.
Synced pattern switching is important in live performance to have all devices in sync (similar to clip triggering in Ableton).

dioxide

02 Nov 2021

artotaku wrote:
02 Nov 2021
dioxide wrote:
02 Nov 2021
It would also have been nice if there was a way to extend a 16 step pattern to 32 or 64 step pattern. On Redrum I have to do this manually and mDSQ is the same.
Isn´t this in the mDSQ Menu -> Duplicate Expand Pattern X -> ...
or do you mean something different?
Oops, missed that. Thanks!

dioxide

02 Nov 2021

MattLeschuck wrote:
02 Nov 2021
dioxide wrote:
02 Nov 2021
Redrum has 3 velocity levels (30, 80 and 127) so it would be nice if mDSQ was able to set default velocity levels when programming.
The little squares next to the velocity toggle allow you to do exactly this.
There's no way to set a default though.

dioxide

02 Nov 2021

artotaku wrote:
02 Nov 2021
rcbuse wrote:
02 Nov 2021

Yes, exactly. For some reason most REs and Players have omitted this. As far as I understand it is a problem to do this, but Peff's Director has timed Gate latch buttons that snap to bar / beat, so I'm not sure exactly what the limtation is.

dioxide

02 Nov 2021

RandomNoise wrote:
02 Nov 2021
You can now map Keys to Pattern Select in Combi 2. It might take a bit of fiddling but it works.

AnotherMathias

02 Nov 2021

rcbuse wrote:
02 Nov 2021
AnotherMathias wrote:
01 Nov 2021
This is probably not the time for feature requests, but here's one:

It would be useful if you can set the value for each of the four preset levels of step velocity.
My kits (mostly multisampled acoustic) don't have all that much happening between v30 and v60, those are both quite soft hits. Most of the dynamic action happens in the v80-120 range. If I could adjust the levels for my needs, I'd probably put mine around v50, v90, v110, v125.
You really don't need to use the presets, if you hold down Ctrl and drag a step, you modify and set the velocity, which can then be applied to the other steps.

mDSQ_Velocity.gif
Yes, nice feature!
But it would get a little tedious to do that for every single note. Perhaps running everything through a velocity scaling player is the way to go.

PhillipOrdonez

02 Nov 2021

I love the implementation of steps and pages. All this needs is numbers on each step out at least every 4 as a guide to enter rhythms quickly. 🤷‍♂️

dvdrtldg

02 Nov 2021

I won't get a chance to play with this for a week or so, but in the meantime I'd be interested in opinions on what exactly mDSQ brings to the table that's new... like I'm fully on board the Lectric Panda Is Awesome train, but I've also got a shitload of sequencer options in the rack already

geronimo

02 Nov 2021

Sorry but I can't seem to change the individual notes of a sequence; how do we do it ? :oops:

rcbuse
RE Developer

02 Nov 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
02 Nov 2021
I won't get a chance to play with this for a week or so, but in the meantime I'd be interested in opinions on what exactly mDSQ brings to the table that's new... like I'm fully on board the Lectric Panda Is Awesome train, but I've also got a shitload of sequencer options in the rack already
mDSQ had a few initial goals. 1) Compact. 2) Redrum-ish 3) 128 Steps.
I have been generating combinators with redrum, which goes up to 64, and wanted that same ability with Kong. Kompulsion and the normal drum sequencer didn't fit the bill, so BAM, mDSQ was put together quick like. There are a few nice things that creeped in there, but this isn't some crazy new thing.

rcbuse
RE Developer

02 Nov 2021

geronimo wrote:
02 Nov 2021
Sorry but I can't seem to change the individual notes of a sequence; how do we do it ? :oops:
Each of the 16 parts has an assigned note. There isn't anything that lets you change the note per step.

w1pl0c

02 Nov 2021

looks cool, nice work

rorystorm

02 Nov 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
02 Nov 2021
I love the implementation of steps and pages. All this needs is numbers on each step out at least every 4 as a guide to enter rhythms quickly. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, I wondered about that as well. But if you look in the options menu (hidden away under the M of the logo in the top right corner), there's a setting for 'Display Grouping'. It shades alternating groups of buttons in a number you can specify - so like, 4 light, 4 dark, 4 light, 4 dark, and so on - which does the same thing. I think it's designed to be flexible if you're wanting groups of 3 or 6 if you're writing in 3/4 time maybe, and 5 and 10 if you're writing in 5/4?

Also a thing I discovered that's not in the manual: if you're playing with the number of hits to get a rachetty flam thing going on, you set the number of hits first and then click the step it's for. You have to actively click to set it, rather than the setting automatically changing. If that makes sense. [Edit - and you can also change it by alt clicking and dragging]

This is a cool piece of gear btw. As with everything panda it's quite good just pressing the random button - got some crazy Autechre beats going on (tho truth be told you can get this with Redrum as well). Plus the colour scheme on the back side matches up with Kong's colour scheme which is a nice little touch seeing how this is designed to go together with it.

RandomNoise

02 Nov 2021

rcbuse wrote:
02 Nov 2021
dvdrtldg wrote:
02 Nov 2021
mDSQ had a few initial goals. 1) Compact. 2) Redrum-ish 3) 128 Steps.
I have been generating combinators with redrum, which goes up to 64, and wanted that same ability with Kong. Kompulsion and the normal drum sequencer didn't fit the bill, so BAM, mDSQ was put together quick like. There are a few nice things that creeped in there, but this isn't some crazy new thing.
I can also add on the value it brings to me which is the ability to easily throw into the mix individual polyemeter drum parts for techno and other electronics I'm mostly into.

Drum Sequencer is amazing and great for it, but sometimes I just want to have those parts separate and just move things around.
I've always used the Matrix for that purpose and I still think that with all its simplicity is still on my top list of Reason's sequencers.

After playing around with the mDSQ, I feel like it gives me that and a bit more.
I actually see it as a mix between ReDrum, Drum Sequencer and Matrix in a way that still keeps it simple and quick :D

Now if you could only add probability into this thing in the future somehow that will be perfect for me :lol:

PhillipOrdonez

03 Nov 2021

rorystorm wrote:
02 Nov 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
02 Nov 2021
Yeah, I wondered about that as well. But if you look in the options menu (hidden away under the M of the logo in the top right corner), there's a setting for 'Display Grouping'. It shades alternating groups of buttons in a number you can specify - so like, 4 light, 4 dark, 4 light, 4 dark, and so on - which does the same thing. I think it's designed to be flexible if you're wanting groups of 3 or 6 if you're writing in 3/4 time maybe, and 5 and 10 if you're writing in 5/4?

Also a thing I discovered that's not in the manual: if you're playing with the number of hits to get a rachetty flam thing going on, you set the number of hits first and then click the step it's for. You have to actively click to set it, rather than the setting automatically changing. If that makes sense. [Edit - and you can also change it by alt clicking and dragging]

This is a cool piece of gear btw. As with everything panda it's quite good just pressing the random button - got some crazy Autechre beats going on (tho truth be told you can get this with Redrum as well). Plus the colour scheme on the back side matches up with Kong's colour scheme which is a nice little touch seeing how this is designed to go together with it.
Oh that sounds great! Thanks!

geronimo

03 Nov 2021

rcbuse wrote:
02 Nov 2021
geronimo wrote:
02 Nov 2021
Each of the 16 parts has an assigned note. There isn't anything that lets you change the note per step.
Okay, I understand better; in each Pattern, work with the different Parts to change the notes within a Pattern.
It's special and original but once understood, it's fluid _

ddrex
Competition Winner

03 Nov 2021

The visuals are great and the way it adapts to the number of steps really cool

rorystorm

04 Nov 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
03 Nov 2021
rorystorm wrote:
02 Nov 2021

Oh that sounds great! Thanks!
No wux. It threw me at first because I'd had the same thought. Turns out to be quite a clever and elegant little piece of design so no surprises there. Now if only [trails off into a rambling diatribe about a random feature request no one in their right mind would support and if it existed would only use twice if at all].

• Information