mDSQ - Lectric Panda Micro Drum Sequencer in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
rootwheel

31 Oct 2021

rcbuse wrote:
29 Oct 2021
rootwheel wrote:
29 Oct 2021
Anyone heard any further word on this? I love me some Prop's Drum Sequencer but this looks like it'll be off the hook for driving beats in a different way...
Wrapping up the manual, everything else is ready to rock. Should be within a week or two at most.
LP, you are an RE developer of rockstar proportions. Btw are you ever going to make your Lectric Panda Generates ReDominator available publicly? :cool:

challism

31 Oct 2021

I thought the original back panel was pretty good. I was sad to see it go during the beta. Glad to see you shared that publicly on your Twitter.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (156.38 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

rootwheel

01 Nov 2021

challism wrote:
31 Oct 2021
I thought the original back panel was pretty good. I was sad to see it go during the beta. Glad to see you shared that publicly on your Twitter.

Capture.JPG
Hopefully been left in but as an easter egg :)

Loque

01 Nov 2021

It directly jumped into my eyes...
prefect.jpg
prefect.jpg (43.76 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
Reason12, Win10

AnotherMathias

01 Nov 2021

This is probably not the time for feature requests, but here's one:

It would be useful if you can set the value for each of the four preset levels of step velocity.
My kits (mostly multisampled acoustic) don't have all that much happening between v30 and v60, those are both quite soft hits. Most of the dynamic action happens in the v80-120 range. If I could adjust the levels for my needs, I'd probably put mine around v50, v90, v110, v125.

rootwheel

02 Nov 2021

Loque

02 Nov 2021

AnotherMathias wrote:
01 Nov 2021

It would be useful if you can set the value for each of the four preset levels of step velocity.
My kits (mostly multisampled acoustic) don't have all that much happening between v30 and v60, those are both quite soft hits. Most of the dynamic action happens in the v80-120 range. If I could adjust the levels for my needs, I'd probably put mine around v50, v90, v110, v125.
There are Players available allowing you to change the dynamic of the Velocity.
Reason12, Win10

lowtom

02 Nov 2021

Thanks! Looks good.
I see there is no Remote info in manual. Is it implemented?
:reason: :refill: :re:

rcbuse
RE Developer

02 Nov 2021

AnotherMathias wrote:
01 Nov 2021

You really don't need to use the presets, if you hold down Ctrl and drag a step, you modify and set the velocity, which can then be applied to the other steps.
mDSQ_Velocity.gif
mDSQ_Velocity.gif (510.19 KiB) Viewed 1766 times

rcbuse
RE Developer

02 Nov 2021

mDSQFront.jpg
mDSQFront.jpg (148.14 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
mDSQBack.jpg
mDSQBack.jpg (158.91 KiB) Viewed 1990 times

MDSQ is a minimal drum sequencer player for Reason that allows the user craft beats in a compact form. MDSQ was Inspired by the ReDrum sequencer and expanded into the player format to control all percussion sound generators. It supports 8 patterns and 16 drum parts per pattern.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack-extension/mdsq/

rcbuse
RE Developer

02 Nov 2021

lowtom wrote:
02 Nov 2021
Thanks! Looks good.
mDSQ Remote Info.txt
(3.59 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

lowtom

02 Nov 2021

rcbuse wrote:
02 Nov 2021
lowtom wrote:
02 Nov 2021

Thanks! Looks good.
mDSQ Remote Info.txt
Thanks! :) I'm now playing with the trail.
:reason: :refill: :re:

RoryM0

02 Nov 2021

Sequencer from the Panda? No demo required. Purchased :)

Loque

02 Nov 2021

Nice. Lot of power in a small Player. Good for Combinators and quickly setting up some triggers from easy and simple to pretty complex.
Reason12, Win10

RandomNoise

02 Nov 2021

Nice! Been waiting for that one, downloading now! :D

RandomNoise

02 Nov 2021

Super cool! Are there any keyboard shortcuts for the different velocity levels?

artotaku

02 Nov 2021

You´ll notice that the individual steps of a part are neither remotable, automatable nor assignable in combinator programmer. And you can only have one note per part. Well, it´s a drum sequencer :-)

However, you can also use it as a 16 step note sequencer e. g. in C2. The trick is to use one consecutive step per part, Part 1 - Step 1, Part 2 - Step 2, etc. Since you can map/assign note and width per part in C2 and there are 16 parts you can control up to 16 steps.
The gate/note CV outputs can then be joined with MoPol (free RE device by LectricPanda).

I´m saying this since the only step sequencer device available where you can assign invidual steps in combinator programmer is AS-16. But AS-16 does not sync correctly with Reason Sequencer play position in certain scenario (when rewinded to start position).

RandomNoise

02 Nov 2021

artotaku wrote:
02 Nov 2021
You´ll notice that the individual steps of a part are neither remotable, automatable nor assignable in combinator programmer. And you can only have one note per part. Well, it´s a drum sequencer :-)

However, you can also use it as a 16 step note sequencer e. g. in C2. The trick is to use one consecutive step per part, Part 1 - Step 1, Part 2 - Step 2, etc. Since you can map/assign note and width per part in C2 and there are 16 parts you can control up to 16 steps.
The gate/note CV outputs can then be joined with MoPol (free RE device by LectricPanda).

I´m saying this since the only step sequencer device available where you can assign invidual steps in combinator programmer is AS-16. But AS-16 does not sync correctly with Reason Sequencer play position in certain scenario (when rewinded to start position).
Yeah and I also just discovered the menu on the right side with "templates" for all these settings, very handy! :D

artotaku

02 Nov 2021

RandomNoise wrote:
02 Nov 2021
Step Velocity is remotable and you if you click on a step and then drag up/down while holding CTRL (Windows) you can decrease/increase the velocity of a step.

Loque

02 Nov 2021

artotaku wrote:
02 Nov 2021

Thats an interesting point of a sequencer remoteable via Combinator2, even if its quite offtopic. I had the same issue with my 303 Combinator2, but i thought its ok to have the Sequencer inside or someone can hook it up outside. So everybody is free to use its own sequencer.
More interesting uses cases for a C2 remote would be controlling the character of a sound or some routings and stuff like that. But even for such tasks are other (free) devices available.
Reason12, Win10

RandomNoise

02 Nov 2021

artotaku wrote:
02 Nov 2021
RandomNoise wrote:
02 Nov 2021
Step Velocity is remotable and you if you click on a step and then drag up/down while holding CTRL (Windows) you can decrease/increase the velocity of a step.
Oh nice one!

dioxide

02 Nov 2021

I've been waiting for this! I use Redrum a lot but so far nothing has arrived that can replace it. For me a couple of things are missing from this. As a Redrum user I'd like to easily be able to mimic how Redrum behaves. Redrum has 3 velocity levels (30, 80 and 127) so it would be nice if mDSQ was able to set default velocity levels when programming. The other thing is Redrum now has very good support for programming via Remote. This is missing on all the drum Players I have tried, including mDSQ. It would also have been nice if there was a way to extend a 16 step pattern to 32 or 64 step pattern. On Redrum I have to do this manually and mDSQ is the same.

Finally there is still no way to match how Redrum handles pattern changes relative to the sequencer. That's on RS/PH though as they still haven't figured out a solution for this in their own devices.

Anyway, great little device, it's just not the Redrum replacement I am looking for.

dioxide

02 Nov 2021

Oh, and Mutes would be useful. It's always better to have MIDI mutes than audio mutes, and having them in the device makes it easier to map to a single MIDI controller. My current setup is Redrum controlling several Combinators via CV Gate. As drums usually have a tail of some sort, I automate mutes on the Redrum rather than on the drum devices themselves.

artotaku

02 Nov 2021

dioxide wrote:
02 Nov 2021
It would also have been nice if there was a way to extend a 16 step pattern to 32 or 64 step pattern. On Redrum I have to do this manually and mDSQ is the same.
Isn´t this in the mDSQ Menu -> Duplicate Expand Pattern X -> ...
or do you mean something different?

• Information