Analogue sequencer - advices?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Chizmata

07 May 2017

hey im looking into abandoning everything without an analogue surface in reason, which means also the sequencer. i have some requirements for an analogue one though:

- not hardware hungry
- polyphonic (chord programming must be possible)
- free setting of multiple rhythms and measures. (5/4, 7/5 etc), ideally even on different tracks in the same instance of a multi-track sequencer
- free movement of notes around their hit (like in the groove mixer), also an ideally customizable groove function

any input on this? thx a lot.

Olivier

07 May 2017

Chizmata wrote:hey im looking into abandoning everything without an analogue surface in reason, which means also the sequencer. i have some requirements for an analogue one though:

- not hardware hungry
- polyphonic (chord programming must be possible)
- free setting of multiple rhythms and measures. (5/4, 7/5 etc), ideally even on different tracks in the same instance of a multi-track sequencer
- free movement of notes around their hit (like in the groove mixer), also an ideally customizable groove function

any input on this? thx a lot.
Short answer:
There aren't any analog sequencers that have all these features.
Closest thing, not analog, and not covering all your requests, is Korde.

Long answer:
To me, what you are looking for is a bit of a contradiction. The advanced kind of features you are looking for are the reason we now have computers in our sequencers. Polyphony in an "analogue style" sequencer we do not have in the shop.

Free movement of notes around their hit for example, you will find in no analog sequencer. The way an analog sequencer was build is that you had an amount of steps with their associated values, and a clock signal made the device switch from one to the other. So to be able to move 1 note around their hit you'd have to modify the clock signal. Analog sequencers didn't do that, this only became a possibility with computerized/digital sequencers.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

chimp_spanner

07 May 2017

Yeah I think really your best bet is to just use Reason's actual sequencer. Then you've got polyphony, access to ReGroove, change part lengths to whatever you want. I think it's a mistake to think of pattern sequencers and the sequencer in the arranger as two different things. Really, they're not. One is just infinitely more flexible than the other :)

Chizmata

07 May 2017

thx for your answers guys, i guess i only want that machine workflow. i tried them all for a bit and korde comes the closest even though thats just an arpeggiator...

i have one more question, is there a way reasons current step sequencers like matrix work with players or can those only be triggered by sequencer/keyboard? fiddling with the r9 demo a bit right now...

buddard
RE Developer

07 May 2017

Chizmata wrote:thx for your answers guys, i guess i only want that machine workflow. i tried them all for a bit and korde comes the closest even though thats just an arpeggiator...

i have one more question, is there a way reasons current step sequencers like matrix work with players or can those only be triggered by sequencer/keyboard? fiddling with the r9 demo a bit right now...
Yes, via a combinator:
  1. Put your instrument and players inside a combinator
  2. Connect the sequencer CV/Gate outs to the CV/Gate inputs on the combi
As a bonus, you can now use "Send to track" on the players to render the output to a sequencer track.

PSoames

07 May 2017

To my mind, the closest thing is;

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... sequencer/

These is also a free device from DLD that allow you to chain multiple instances together.

chimp_spanner

07 May 2017

Chizmata wrote:thx for your answers guys, i guess i only want that machine workflow. i tried them all for a bit and korde comes the closest even though thats just an arpeggiator...

I think you can put your synth in a combinator, connect the matrix to that, then put a player above the synth inside the combinator and have your matrix notes filtered through scales and chords or whatever else!

And just saw someone else beat me to it. Haha. Doh.

Loque

07 May 2017

Dont forget Thor sequencer. It can also be transposed, that is quite interesting with Players or and arpegiator.
Reason12, Win10

Chizmata

07 May 2017

on topic, an advanced step sequencer as player might do the impossible to convince me of reason past 8.3

• Information