Argonaut Synthesizer is in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Olivier

29 Mar 2017

The Argonaut Synthesizer by Skrock Music is in the shop.

The Argonaut Synthesizer is a mono/poly synthesizer designed for Bass & Lead Sounds.

Product details

Fast Workflow Interface
Two Oscillators & One Sub Oscillator
Mangle Control, Unique Shaping for Oscillator One & Two
Sub Oscillator Always One or Two Octaves Under Osc One
Sine/Triangle/Sawtooth/Pulse
Envelope + Manual + LFO Controlled Pulse Width Modulation
Envelope + LFO Controlled Pitch Modulation
LP24, LP12, BP6 & HP12 Filters
Modulation Wheel LFO and Filter Amount Controls
Phase Reset Option
Spread Amount Control

Please note that this product requires Reason 9.2
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

EdGrip

29 Mar 2017

I mean, I know I said there would be a lot of new synths on the way, but jeez. Guys. Seriously.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2017

Nektar remote mapping for this Synth can be found on this thread viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7491466&start=300

ltbrunt00

29 Mar 2017

I have a theory....Just listen....Don't call me crazy yet........I think Skrock Music is trying to take all my money.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Benedict
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2017

ltbrunt00 wrote:I have a theory....Just listen....Don't call me crazy yet........I think Skrock Music is trying to take all my money.
Yeah, I heard him say exactly that around the water cooler. He even said your name. LOL

Argonaut is a lot of fun. I went into making Patches (after Kraft) expecting it to be a bit limited but found a lot of inspiration as a result of the simplicity.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

lowpryo

29 Mar 2017

what's the main appeal of this? the only unique thing I see is the "mangle" knob, which I'm guessing is a distortion/waveshaper? but not a very flexible one?

Skrock's business model definitely seems to be quantity over quality. I'm really not a fan, but if there's other people who get inspiration out of these things, more power to them.

WongoTheSane

29 Mar 2017

lowpryo wrote:what's the main appeal of this? the only unique thing I see is the "mangle" knob, which I'm guessing is a distortion/waveshaper? but not a very flexible one?

Skrock's business model definitely seems to be quantity over quality. I'm really not a fan, but if there's other people who get inspiration out of these things, more power to them.
The way I see it, a Benedict ReFill with a Skrock custom UI for 19€ is an absolute steal. Every time I buy a Skrock synth, even though they have nothing "special" in terms of novelty, I find several beautiful patches and an original workflow that makes me create something unexpected. So there's that.

MDTerps2015

29 Mar 2017

lowpryo wrote:what's the main appeal of this? the only unique thing I see is the "mangle" knob, which I'm guessing is a distortion/waveshaper? but not a very flexible one?

The appeal of it is that someone sat down to put a toy in the shop. You know the time, money, and brains to do it. I think Skrock is doing a fine job. Like Papen, Ocher K, SKrock, and a host of others, I have every one of their toys. Wouldn't it be a shame if all developers thought there was enough RE's in the shop and just quit taking their time, money, and brains to make new ones. Personally, i think all of the negative criticism and opinions when a new RE comes out is really un-called for. If it doesn't fit you, your workflow, or music, then don't buy it. You know opinions are like "a-holes", everyone has one but no one runs around sniffing everybody's "a-hole" to fine the perfect smelling one.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Benedict
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2017

MDTerps2015 wrote:You know opinions are like "a-holes", everyone has one but no one runs around sniffing everybody's "a-hole" to fine the perfect smelling one.
Finally, I work out what is wrong with my life LOL

As I said, I went into Argonaut with a feeling that after Kraft, the simple architecture would make it a bit meh. Not only did I come out with some sounds that I liked and would use (and Skrock's own demos show some sounds people would pay $120 to get) but I came away with a technique or two I could apply to Thor. Try the RE and see if it offers you value for the asking price, that is all anyone could ask of you.

And Thanks Mr Sane. That means a lot to me.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Majestik Monkey

30 Mar 2017

Marcus & the Argonaut's :puf_bigsmile:

I was quite surprised by its Sonic scope ' from such a Cute little Synth ................. Well done SKRock ,Tester's / Preset designer's !!

I think it deserves a little Gui Update with an actual jpeg or something of an Argonaut from the Movie , :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I bet a Bit'crusher on Argonaut ' would give it a real Nice n Nasty edge ! ;)

Oquasec

30 Mar 2017

considering the price of the synth I'm not surprised.
Also requires 9.2 so yep can't get it till 10 then :P
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

lowpryo

30 Mar 2017

MDTerps2015 wrote:

The appeal of it is that someone sat down to put a toy in the shop. You know the time, money, and brains to do it. I think Skrock is doing a fine job. Like Papen, Ocher K, SKrock, and a host of others, I have every one of their toys. Wouldn't it be a shame if all developers thought there was enough RE's in the shop and just quit taking their time, money, and brains to make new ones. Personally, i think all of the negative criticism and opinions when a new RE comes out is really un-called for. If it doesn't fit you, your workflow, or music, then don't buy it. You know opinions are like "a-holes", everyone has one but no one runs around sniffing everybody's "a-hole" to fine the perfect smelling one.
If you look at synths like Papen's Quad & Vecto, or Ochen's 4mer & Driver, they have a core workflow feature that is unique to them in the RE market. and IMO this is what creates the inspiration potential and the "value".

I give Skrock props for Thermal & Iridium, those ones are more out-of-the-box. but the other 6 just seem like oscillator/wavetable, filter, fx - unless I'm wrong, which is why I asked. if you can be inspired by any new patch or workflow (like Wongo said) - and that's enough for your money - awesome! I envy that. but some of us want more technical variety.

and by the way, forums are for presenting opinions. I did not present mine in an offensive way - unless you think every negative opinion is an offensive one. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. but to me, a forum that only allows positive opinions isn't a very fun one.

ltbrunt00

30 Mar 2017

I love Kraft and Solaris, for the the price they are rock solid. They may not be worth $299.99 but for the 50/60 bucks I would buy these synths every time.

Everybody has their opinion which is the beauty of music, a great sound to one person is trash to another.

I think part of any virtual instrument is to inspire you to want to use it weather it be sounds or GUI that draws you in.

I have some VSTs that our loaded but the GUI design and sounds (Massive) really doesn't make me want to jump.

The Skrock REs allow me to load up a good default sound, not spend all night tweaking it to get the right sound and then throw it in the mix. There are other devices to spend all day tweaking but then again Reason is a tweak-coholics wet dream.

artotaku

30 Mar 2017

I had a go with this synth and I find it sounds very good and has a nice clean and well organized UI and the price is right.

However, some polyphonic patches are quite taxing to the CPU, e. g. "SY SQ Root PB" jumps right away to four bars on the DSP workload meter on my machine with just one instance (and on par with VK2...). Maybe there is some optimiziation possible for this synth?

artotaku

30 Mar 2017

After some further investigation it seems that there is an issue with the OSC range setting. The higher the setting the more DSP it uses. After setting it to 2 for both OSCs on patch "SY SQ Root PB" it maxed out and I got the "Computer too slow" error message.

MDTerps2015

30 Mar 2017

lowpryo wrote:
MDTerps2015 wrote:

If you look at synths like Papen's Quad & Vecto, or Ochen's 4mer & Driver, they have a core workflow feature that is unique to them in the RE market. and IMO this is what creates the inspiration potential and the "value".

I give Skrock props for Thermal & Iridium, those ones are more out-of-the-box. but the other 6 just seem like oscillator/wavetable, filter, fx - unless I'm wrong, which is why I asked. if you can be inspired by any new patch or workflow (like Wongo said) - and that's enough for your money - awesome! I envy that. but some of us want more technical variety.

and by the way, forums are for presenting opinions. I did not present mine in an offensive way - unless you think every negative opinion is an offensive one. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. but to me, a forum that only allows positive opinions isn't a very fun one.
No, no, no. You didn't offend me but my defensive reaction is that we have very few developers who keep the toys coming and i think petty complaints run them away as a "you can't satisfy everybody" or i tried and I'm done" attitude. How many developers have one or two rack extensions in the shop. How many have been in there for far less time and have five or six RE's. Skrock has been consistently rolling them out. DNA has two within the last year, Papen is pretty consistent, and there are a host of others. I don't know, I would hope that none run away when the whole idea of trying to grow Reason is the goal. I didn't mean to sound like an ass but there was a hint of sarcasm with the last line. To be truthfully honest, I have 250 RE's and haven't made a dime of any of them. Its just my thing to come after work and play. Half of them i don't even play with like most of the stuff in utilities. Every synth I buy I experiment with in some shape or form. Just my two cents.

Creativemind

30 Mar 2017

Nice looking synths but where's the video?

Re's with no video in the shop shouldn't be allowed lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

lowpryo

30 Mar 2017

MDTerps2015 wrote:No, no, no. You didn't offend me but my defensive reaction is that we have very few developers who keep the toys coming and i think petty complaints run them away as a "you can't satisfy everybody" or i tried and I'm done" attitude. How many developers have one or two rack extensions in the shop. How many have been in there for far less time and have five or six RE's. Skrock has been consistently rolling them out. DNA has two within the last year, Papen is pretty consistent, and there are a host of others. I don't know, I would hope that none run away when the whole idea of trying to grow Reason is the goal. I didn't mean to sound like an ass but there was a hint of sarcasm with the last line. To be truthfully honest, I have 250 RE's and haven't made a dime of any of them. Its just my thing to come after work and play. Half of them i don't even play with like most of the stuff in utilities. Every synth I buy I experiment with in some shape or form. Just my two cents.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think the end goal of Reason should be to have as many developers and "toys" in the shop as possible. of course I don't want to scare away developers, but like I said before, I prefer quality over quantity.

but at the end of the day, people in this thread are clearly enjoying this synth so I guess I'm the odd man out here.

ltbrunt00

31 Mar 2017

lowpryo wrote:
MDTerps2015 wrote:No, no, no. You didn't offend me but my defensive reaction is that we have very few developers who keep the toys coming and i think petty complaints run them away as a "you can't satisfy everybody" or i tried and I'm done" attitude. How many developers have one or two rack extensions in the shop. How many have been in there for far less time and have five or six RE's. Skrock has been consistently rolling them out. DNA has two within the last year, Papen is pretty consistent, and there are a host of others. I don't know, I would hope that none run away when the whole idea of trying to grow Reason is the goal. I didn't mean to sound like an ass but there was a hint of sarcasm with the last line. To be truthfully honest, I have 250 RE's and haven't made a dime of any of them. Its just my thing to come after work and play. Half of them i don't even play with like most of the stuff in utilities. Every synth I buy I experiment with in some shape or form. Just my two cents.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think the end goal of Reason should be to have as many developers and "toys" in the shop as possible. of course I don't want to scare away developers, but like I said before, I prefer quality over quantity.

but at the end of the day, people in this thread are clearly enjoying this synth so I guess I'm the odd man out here.

Don't feel to bad, I think NI's Massive kind of sucks which gets you killed in the NI forums for saying that.

Skrock
RE Developer

04 Apr 2017

artotaku wrote:After some further investigation it seems that there is an issue with the OSC range setting. The higher the setting the more DSP it uses. After setting it to 2 for both OSCs on patch "SY SQ Root PB" it maxed out and I got the "Computer too slow" error message.
Im looking into this. Thank you!
https://www.skrockmusic.com/
https://soundcloud.com/derekstrike
https://soundcloud.com/marcusbits
I make music in Reason using using Skrock synths and the creative tools from other developers!

Skrock
RE Developer

04 Apr 2017

I understand how you feel. I am not a big company, I am just myself. Obviously I like 80's style music as many demos has that sound.

I've been using Reason since v1, I used Rebirth before Reason came. So once again I understand how some users might feel, but for me as a musician and a graphic designer I always try to make something I myself want to use. One project can take months, and when it's right then I release it. Quantity over quality is not what I want, I want interesting products, I want stuff that I myself and others have fun with.

I am humbled by the positive response I have gotten with all my projects, and I will release more synthesizers until my ideas fades out.
I make music in Reason using using Skrock synths and the creative tools from other developers!

MDTerps2015

04 Apr 2017

Skrock wrote:

I understand how you feel. I am not a big company, I am just myself. Obviously I like 80's style music as many demos has that sound.

I've been using Reason since v1, I used Rebirth before Reason came. So once again I understand how some users might feel, but for me as a musician and a graphic designer I always try to make something I myself want to use. One project can take months, and when it's right then I release it. Quantity over quality is not what I want, I want interesting products, I want stuff that I myself and others have fun with.

I am humbled by the positive response I have gotten with all my projects, and I will release more synthesizers until my ideas fades out.
Skrock I really don't know why you feel the need to come in here and explain yourself to someone who doesn't appreciate hard work. I have every one of your synths because I support those who support us. No need to come in and explain yourself. Trust that 90 percent of Reason users appreciate what you do. When some of these critical posters start making rack extensions then I guess they can criticize something being bad or useless. Thanx and thats my two cents.

Skrock
RE Developer

05 Apr 2017

MDTerps2015 wrote:Skrock I really don't know why you feel the need to come in here and explain yourself to someone who doesn't appreciate hard work. I have every one of your synths because I support those who support us. No need to come in and explain yourself. Trust that 90 percent of Reason users appreciate what you do. When some of these critical posters start making rack extensions then I guess they can criticize something being bad or useless. Thanx and thats my two cents.
Thank you.

Although I wasn't going for a "explaining myself" post.

My point is that I do what I do, because I like doing it. :thumbs_up:

Oh, and obviously I'm working on something new. haha :lol:
But don't tell anyone... It's secret. :puf_wink:

Also, Kraft is on sale this month for those interested:
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... nthesizer/

/Skrock

Majestik Monkey

05 Apr 2017

Skrock wrote:
MDTerps2015 wrote:Skrock I really don't know why you feel the need to come in here and explain yourself to someone who doesn't appreciate hard work. I have every one of your synths because I support those who support us. No need to come in and explain yourself. Trust that 90 percent of Reason users appreciate what you do. When some of these critical posters start making rack extensions then I guess they can criticize something being bad or useless. Thanx and thats my two cents.
Thank you.

Although I wasn't going for a "explaining myself" post.

My point is that I do what I do, because I like doing it. :thumbs_up:

Oh, and obviously I'm working on something new. haha :lol:
But don't tell anyone... It's secret. :puf_wink:

Also, Kraft is on sale this month for those interested:
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... nthesizer/

/Skrock
Haha Deep sarcasm ' love it :mrgreen: It's true a good 90+% of user's I would say, love what you do with IDT ! :thumbs_up:

Maxsu

13 May 2017

Short feedback from me, bought it yesterday and I am very happy with the Argonaut! The sound is amazing and defenitely worth the money!!! Big up!

• Information