Exclusive first look at Blamsoft and eXode's VK-2 synth Rack Extension

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
pjeudy

20 Mar 2017

My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

raymondh

20 Mar 2017

Loque wrote:
raymondh wrote:I was interested up to the point it is pitched as a whole new synth rather than upgrade to VK-1.

I already own The Legend and VK-1. My only gripe with VK-1 is it is monophonic. We will see I guess when the pricing is announced...
Distributor is they key in all cases you need more voices,eg some synths have only 4 voices or if you have FX that is tracked by notes. A bit fiddling of cables though... Things are easier if PolyCV is supported by devices in some cases.
I bought distributor, and find it is ok for presets, but no good for sound design. In practice I never use it.

If you are creating a patch from scratch, each time you want to audition it by playing a chord, you have to save the patch then re-load the same patch into every instance of Viking hooked up to the distributor. It's a workflow killer.

If you can live with monophonic auditioning, then that's fine of course...

Abstrax

20 Mar 2017

raymondh wrote:
Loque wrote:
raymondh wrote:I was interested up to the point it is pitched as a whole new synth rather than upgrade to VK-1.

I already own The Legend and VK-1. My only gripe with VK-1 is it is monophonic. We will see I guess when the pricing is announced...
Distributor is they key in all cases you need more voices,eg some synths have only 4 voices or if you have FX that is tracked by notes. A bit fiddling of cables though... Things are easier if PolyCV is supported by devices in some cases.
I bought distributor, and find it is ok for presets, but no good for sound design. In practice I never use it.

If you are creating a patch from scratch, each time you want to audition it by playing a chord, you have to save the patch then re-load the same patch into every instance of Viking hooked up to the distributor. It's a workflow killer.

If you can live with monophonic auditioning, then that's fine of course...
What I do to get around this problem is make Distributor Combinator presets. If I got a sound I like, I just copy patch, then bring in the combinator. Paste the patch x4 in the already wired up combi.

Fretless Fingers

21 Mar 2017

manisnotabird wrote:Does the VK-1 not do audio rate modulations?
Gotta respond as this is a great question.
As I say in the video (I did the upcoming advert video) "All modulation in VK-2 is audio rate, freeing you to get your creative routing juices flowing."
:reason: v10 :record: :recycle: :refill: :re: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :ignition:
reason-expert.com Author, video maker, producer

spacefarmer

22 Mar 2017

Hello exode,
is it possible to inform us about the releasedate (around) or is it to early to talk about?

tiker01

22 Mar 2017

spacefarmer wrote:Hello exode,
is it possible to inform us about the releasedate (around) or is it to early to talk about?

Be patient!!! ;)

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

spacefarmer

22 Mar 2017

Be sure I am.
It is not a question of impatience, but of medium-term strategy.
But thank You tiker01, I'll wait and see. ;)

Auryn

22 Mar 2017

Here's one more VK-2 demo to tide you guys over till release:

~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

Creativemind

22 Mar 2017

Koshdukai wrote:
noelcampbelljnr wrote:Most important info right now for VK-1 owners is can we upgrade for an upgrade price? yes or no :)
Most important info right now for VK-1 owners is: It's VK-2, not VK-1 V2.0 ;)

Like many already said, it's VK-2 as in "the 2nd synth in the Viking product line of Blamsoft synths"
not "VK-1 done a 2nd time" or "a better version of VK-1" or "VK-1 2.0" :)

Mmj85 wrote:But wait, is that an icon (Bottom Right on top of the VK-2 Logo) to fold the bottom portion of the device like THOR's? Is it compatible with RE's now? :shock:
or maybe, also like Thor's OSCs and Filters or Kong FX, to switch it to another module/page, maybe?
(now that the RE SDK 2.5 allows that).
Or simply just to change the effect that's selected? and how many voices of unison can you have?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Faastwalker

23 Mar 2017

VK2 Vs Legend. That is the question.

Loque

23 Mar 2017

Faastwalker wrote:VK2 Vs Legend. That is the question.
Yes...
Reason12, Win10

Majestik Monkey

23 Mar 2017

Tis naught but a Question ' should ye move too Expanse it ! :lol:

nscerri

23 Mar 2017

The looks alone are spot on. Can't wait to try out this beast.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

selig
RE Developer

23 Mar 2017

It's out now! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

WhiteShark

23 Mar 2017

based on the intro price and the demo's alone it's an instabuy for me - this thing sounds fabulous! I have Legend, but this offers something a little bit different imo. Yet again huge congrats to Blamsoft and Exode for playing their part in bringing something top quality to the Rack :thumbs_up:

FLVZ

23 Mar 2017

My thoughts upon reading the description were "can you create a Legend from this!"

manisnotabird

23 Mar 2017

Fretless Fingers wrote:
manisnotabird wrote:Does the VK-1 not do audio rate modulations?
Gotta respond as this is a great question.
As I say in the video (I did the upcoming advert video) "All modulation in VK-2 is audio rate, freeing you to get your creative routing juices flowing."
Yeah, I saw the description of the VK-2. But I was asking about the VK-1.

Auryn

23 Mar 2017

manisnotabird wrote:Yeah, I saw the description of the VK-2. But I was asking about the VK-1.
It's been a while since I used VK-1 but IIRC VK-1 does several audio rate modulations, like filter FM and also AM via the mixer/mod bus. It even does some things that VK-2 doesn't do (for example, in VK-1 you can select resonance and spacing as a mod destination) but on the whole VK-2 is a lot more advanced. It's possible to do fairly elaborate oscillator FM in VK-2, as well as ring modulation via the mod bus.

In the end, they are different synths.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

• Information