Mix and Mastering Rig 2 Bundle worth getting?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
balthuseuro

24 Nov 2016

Hi looking I am looking for some advice. I am thinking of buying the mastering Rig Bundle......

Would the bundle make it easier for me to master tracks and make my mixes sound better, or could I get great mixes still using and mastering the stuff I already have?

I make mostly Synth tracks with the odd vocal and Guitar track.

I am not yet totally sure what I am doing when it comes to mastering with the MClass suite yet.

I also already have an RE2A compressor which I kinda of know how to use.

Your input would be appreciated.

Thanks....

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2016

balthuseuro wrote: Would the bundle make it easier for me to master tracks and make my mixes sound better, or could I get great mixes still using and mastering the stuff I already have?
No matter how good your tools are it comes down to you, as you will be the one using them...

I do own all 3 rigs however I purchased them as I was going to buy a couple of items that were included and for a few more bucks I went for the rig, so what I'm saying there is look at the rig and is there anything that you would have brought outside of the rig.

For the Master Rig at the time I was interested in buying the Ozone Maximiser, GQ-7 and the Selig stuff (there may have been another item but they have changed them), so for me it was well worth it.

The RE-2A was just given away for free and there was a lot of noise about it, I got it ages ago with the rig, looked at it but never used it. Horses for courses

Irelle

24 Nov 2016

Hi there guys, I actually had the same question. In my case it would be more an impact on the vocals rather than the beat itself. Half of what the bundle includes does not seem pretty useful, but there are still a few good looking Re. : - )

balthuseuro

24 Nov 2016

Thanks Carly for your reply and perspective.....

Irelle it's not just me then....

Skullture

24 Nov 2016

Why don't you try some of the plugins out and check wheter it suits you or not? Also in the Mix & Mastering Refill there are some decent examples on how to implement some RE's into your mixes, not to mention you get some free tutorial vids.

balthuseuro

24 Nov 2016

Thanks Skullture took your advice just loaded a Selig leveller into the rack and it did straight away what I was trying to do with ease that I had difficultly with other compressors. Am there only needs to be 2 more processors that I can use in the Bundle to make it worth my while so have taken a punt and bought it!

plasticpulse

24 Nov 2016

Definitely worth it. Almost every rack extension in that bundle is great. Plus it comes with some mastering templates that are pretty good.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2016

I did hear that the prices for rigs may drop even more tomorrow...
Giles Reaves on Facebook wrote: Trying to spread the word that some Black Friday sales don't even start until Black Friday (stating the obvious, I know). This can mean a "rig" will be cheaper after any components go on sale, so many wait until tomorrow if you want to be absolutely sure you don't miss any deals.

clone

24 Nov 2016

balthuseuro wrote:Hi looking I am looking for some advice. I am thinking of buying the mastering Rig Bundle......

Would the bundle make it easier for me to master tracks and make my mixes sound better, or could I get great mixes still using and mastering the stuff I already have?

I am not yet totally sure what I am doing when it comes to mastering with the MClass suite yet.

Thanks....

Go for it!

I already own DCam Bus Comp, DCam Chan Comp and just got Re-2A for free! Still going to buy Mix and Master bundle, it is way worth it.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2016

The REs I like the most in that bundle is GQ-7 and Ozone Maximizer.
I own a couple of the other ones as well which can be worth the money.

Imo GQ-7 is a step up compared to the Mclass EQ for sure, both in sound (sounds cleaner, less harsh), flexibility and visual feedback. After I bought GQ-7 I never use Mclass anymore. It also has a bunch of different filter slopes.

I've tried most limiters in the shop and Ozone to my ears was the most transparent sounding, so if that's what your looking for then it might be for you.

Lots of people love the Softube FET compressor. For me it's good for some things, while other times it doesn't work at all.

Like someone said the most important thing is your skill level in mixing and mastering. If you don't know how to use the tools then buying "better" plugins won't help that much.
And in the end what plugins works for one person might not work for you. It's up to you to figure out what fits your music and workflow best and that can take some time.
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 25 Nov 2016, edited 1 time in total.

The_G

24 Nov 2016

I use about half the plugins extensively, so for me it was definitely a good purchase. But it will be on sale again so don't feel boxed in.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

balthuseuro

25 Nov 2016

plasticpulse - Thanks for comments, am feeling good about purchase...

clone - Great Have gone for it, feel have made the right decision

TritoneAddiction - Thanks for that in depth reply.... The OZONE caught my eye. Also, I was finding the Mclass eq but not really enough for me, good to here about the GQ7

Carly
- Thanks again for your advice, won't check out the price though as I have already purchased it!

The G - Your track has a lot of elements that I would like for some of my mixes too, the drums are super solid and it has a good width, yep I have made the correct choice in purchasing!

Bloma

26 Nov 2016

I have it and use a lot of those plugins constantly. I highly recommend it! Selig gain and de esser, GQ7 EQ, Softube FET Compressor, LA-2A, blacknight EQ, Softube Reverb...

clone

26 Nov 2016

clone wrote:
balthuseuro wrote:Hi looking I am looking for some advice. I am thinking of buying the mastering Rig Bundle......

Thanks....

Go for it!

I already own DCam Bus Comp, DCam Chan Comp and just got Re-2A for free! Still going to buy Mix and Master bundle, it is way worth it.

I just purchased this bundle. It was fun downloaded all new RE's and always wondered what happens if you already own some, well it just downloads the ones you don't have.

Catblack

27 Nov 2016

I pulled the trigger on this last night too. Am enjoying what's there so far.

Anyone have the manual for the G8?
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

MitchClark89

01 Dec 2016

clone wrote:
balthuseuro wrote:
:lol: me too - i had already bought the FET comp, synapse eq and the ozone maximizer :shock: but i still bought the bundle as the value was still there and it led me to the cakewalk re2a which i love, seligs 3 re's which i am learning to use now (i have heard the great things about them) 4dyne (will take a while to learn) and the rest of the package i am looking forward to use!

balthuseuro

01 Jan 2017

Bloma thanks been using it over a month now haven't regretted my purchase, reminded me about time to check out the Blacknight Eq....

CatBlack Welcome to the club

MitchClark yeh love the cakewalk re2a still not completely sure what I am doing with the Seligs but they seem pretty good.

Catblack

01 Jan 2017

balthuseuro wrote:
CatBlack Welcome to the club
Thanks, it was this thread that got me to pick it up. (Or was it another one?) I haven't regretted it so far, even if I haven't used everything in it -- yet.

Making a good mastering template is high on my list this week.
balthuseuro wrote: MitchClark yeh love the cakewalk re2a still not completely sure what I am doing with the Seligs but they seem pretty good.
Read this thread here. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7273948

So far I've used Leveler to take shorter plucky type sounds (guitarish, or harpsichordish sounds) and stretch out their tails and make them last longer. It's been great.

Damn.

balthuseuro

01 Jan 2017

Great thanks CatBlack will have a look.....

WongoTheSane

03 Jan 2017

Catblack wrote:I pulled the trigger on this last night too. Am enjoying what's there so far.

A bit late, but here you go:

http://www.unfilteredaudio.com/G8_OperationsManual.pdf

Catblack

03 Jan 2017

WongoTheSane wrote:
Catblack wrote:I pulled the trigger on this last night too. Am enjoying what's there so far.

A bit late, but here you go:

http://www.unfilteredaudio.com/G8_OperationsManual.pdf
Yeah, the link was down when I posted that. I still have no idea how to use the G8, but I'm slowly working through the REs I've gotten to understand them a bit more fully.

I will say that the AskAudio tutorials that come with the bundle are just brief overviews and really not much of a value add at all. They'd be more useful if they were free and used to sell the bundle. I'd expect them to all be twice as long and have example project files so I can really understand how each part fits.

Damn.

hadmyrackextended

06 Jan 2017

Yes it's worth it mate . At first the tools we're overwhelming but once you get used to what does what you'll reach for them often. I use the env shaper on snares and kicks and it gets a great punch immediately. Lots of the tools have shortened my work flow by half. Take the Hit.

• Information