Expanse 1.1 Update in the Shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
eXode

17 Nov 2016

New in Expanse version 1.1

Drag to connect Mod Matrix destinations
17 new wavetables (includes Prophet VS waveforms)
3 new oscillator mods
50 presets by Speo + 50 presets by Aiyn Zahev Sounds
Filter type popup menus

Aiyn Zahev 1.1 Patches demo.

Enjoy!
Last edited by eXode on 17 Nov 2016, edited 2 times in total.

eXode

17 Nov 2016

First of all, the star of the show - Drag and drop modulation:
This is similar to Parsec 2. You left click an arrow and while holding you drag to the target you want and drop.
Note that you can also use the targets in the LFO section, so you can actually target PAN, AMP, and FILTER (both filters cutoff) via LFO 1.

The Filter popup is accessed by the button with the down arrow, the display itself is still click 'n' drag.

There are three new mods in Expanse 1.1:
In and Out: Similar to the Bend- and Bend+ function found on other popular VST synths
Sine: basically a sine shaper, it's effect can be similar to FM in some scenarios.

Finally there are 17 new wavetables, including all 96 waveforms from the Prophet VS (cleared). The VS waveforms are divided into three tables with 32 waveforms each. These do not have a smooth fade between them. The rest of the waveforms were designed by myself mostly, with some help from Andrew.

Special note about the three XTable PWM tables. These are basically two squares.
PWM1: Square wave with additional square with variable pulse width +1 octave
PWM2: Square wave with additional square with variable pulse width +2 octaves
PWM3: 25% Pulse with additional square with variable pulse width +19 semi tones.

The idea with the XTable PWM tables is that you drop it's tuning -1 or -2 octaves which will make it sound like an oscillator with PWM and a sub oscillator, inspired by the Juno/Alpha Juno synthesizers. The difference from doing this with i.e. two oscillators in Expanse is that you can have them free running but the two waveforms are always in phase with each other (like a true sub oct generator). Since the PW goes from 0-100% (silence) you can do some creative things with them.
Last edited by eXode on 17 Nov 2016, edited 1 time in total.

nikonovs

17 Nov 2016

eXode wrote:New in Expanse version 1.1

Drag to connect Mod Matrix destinations
17 new wavetables (includes Prophet VS waveforms)
3 new oscillator mods
50 presets by Speo + 50 presets by Aiyn Zahev Sounds
Filter type popup menus

Enjoy!
WOW! I`m great fan of what you are doing for Reason. that`s why Expanse was an instant buy. Thanks for the big news! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
:reason: 8,9.1 :ignition: :re: Expanse, Solaris, FM4
:reason: Musician, :post: Composer

Arrant
Competition Winner

17 Nov 2016

Nice! Best synth in Reason just got even better :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Majestik Monkey

17 Nov 2016

Cheer's Exode n Blamsoft !

Great update, Love the fact that you have thrown in the PV5 Wave tables :thumbs_up:
& the 3 New Osc Mods .... & D&D.... Super stuff :mrgreen:

chimp_spanner

17 Nov 2016

Awesome! Getting this now. Just a quick one; it doesn't show up in Products/Rack Extensions or auto-update when I press "Sync All". Not sure why that'd be. Maybe a PropShop error, but I had to manually go to the product page to get it. Anyone else find the same?

Thanks so much for the update. Drag and drop mod matrix should be standard on everything now IMO, especially with the loooong list of destinations in many plugins!

eXode

17 Nov 2016

chimp_spanner wrote:Awesome! Getting this now. Just a quick one; it doesn't show up in Products/Rack Extensions or auto-update when I press "Sync All". Not sure why that'd be. Maybe a PropShop error, but I had to manually go to the product page to get it. Anyone else find the same?

Thanks so much for the update. Drag and drop mod matrix should be standard on everything now IMO, especially with the loooong list of destinations in many plugins!
I actually had the same issue. :D

Not sure why that is, I'll run it with Andrew once we hit office hours. =)

chimp_spanner

17 Nov 2016

eXode wrote:
chimp_spanner wrote:Awesome! Getting this now. Just a quick one; it doesn't show up in Products/Rack Extensions or auto-update when I press "Sync All". Not sure why that'd be. Maybe a PropShop error, but I had to manually go to the product page to get it. Anyone else find the same?

I actually had the same issue. :D

Not sure why that is, I'll run it with Andrew once we hit office hour. =)
Cool man! Just letting you know as it might slip past people who don't check the forum or the product page :) Update is fantastic. Love the new modifiers, and thanks for the drop down filter menu! I know it's not possible everywhere on the instrument but it helps where it is. Thanks again!

Loque

17 Nov 2016

Thumbs up :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
Reason12, Win10

VHS

17 Nov 2016

This is an epic update. I can't express how happy I am. You guys are the greatest!

alex

17 Nov 2016

eXode wrote: Special note about the three XTable PWM tables. These are basically two squares.
PWM1: Square wave with additional square with variable pulse width +1 octave
PWM2: Square wave with additional square with variable pulse width +2 octaves
PWM3: 25% Pulse with additional square with variable pulse width +19 semi tones.

The idea with the XTable PWM tables is that you drop it's tuning -1 or -2 octaves which will make it sound like an oscillator with PWM and a sub oscillator, inspired by the Juno/Alpha Juno synthesizers. The difference from doing this with i.e. two oscillators in Expanse is that you can have them free running but the two waveforms are always in phase with each other (like a true sub oct generator). Since the PW goes from 0-100% (silence) you can do some creative things with them.
This is awesome! I'm stretching my fingers...
Thank you eXode and Blamsoft! [emoji106]

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

Karim
Competition Winner

17 Nov 2016

Have you guys maybe optimized the CPU load? :question:
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

eXode

17 Nov 2016

lemec wrote:Have you guys maybe optimized the CPU load? :question:
Are you trying to wind me up? :evil:

Expanse IS and HAS _always_ been optimized for what it does. It's time to wake up from the synths in Reason that is 9+ years old bubble and realize that simple truth. This kind of quality is heavier on CPU. Period. :)

chimp_spanner

17 Nov 2016

CPU creep is kind of inevitable as synthesis techniques get more complicated. Most of the presets in synths like Serum, Dune 2 and Bazille use 50%+ if I play a chord, on a 2 year old i7 laptop. It's just the way it goes! Making presets from scratch though, and using simple 1 or 2 osc setups I find eXpanse to be no heavier than most, for the quality and variety of sound I'm getting.

Karim
Competition Winner

17 Nov 2016

eXode wrote:

Expanse IS and HAS _always_ been optimized for what it does. It's time to wake up from the synths in Reason that is 9+ years old bubble and realize that simple truth. This kind of quality is heavier on CPU. Period. :)
I apologize for the blank question :)
of course I realize that expanse is not comparable to any synth in terms of power

I try to explain myself :

My 2 Mac ( a Pro and a Imac 2016) starts to "fry" the audio . It is because of a recent refill i bought yesterday (of which shall remain nameless)
with a pair of combinator I can already quit and go home. :)
Anyway on my recent trance songs normalty when I use individual patches I can I upload at least 5-6 patches along with a dozen of antidotes and relatives percussion etc. So it's ok. I can survive with it.
I will avoid using combination for the moment. Trance tracks are particularly complex and the idea of doing many bounces still not pass me through my head.

P.s. And now with your permission I go suddenly to put my twaeky fingers to new Expanse feature and listen to the Speo ' s patches.

Cheers!
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

jfrichards

17 Nov 2016

There are lots of sound setups that will take most CPU's to the limit. I guess we need to note them down for our own studio and own typical songs. One thing I have found recently is that for complex synth patches, putting a 6:2 mixer in a combinator is good, especially with very low CPU devices. One example is using the free Pink Noise refill patches on 6 different NN-XT's in one combinator:
http://reasonbanks.com/news.html
These days, I use low CPU setups for most tracks and set the prominent tracks, like for leads and melodies, on the cooler high-CPU devices. Another method is to only use the full hit devices for say a chorus, and not have them playing in other parts (this is a "block" arrangement approach). So many great improvements in Reason are dependent on the high-CPU devices. This goes back to the days of Revival and Vermilion, when we had to adjust arrangements to accommodate them.
I hope developers keep bringing great devices to the table, but we have to keep CPU-saving methods in mind. Maybe a separate thread just on 20 or more CPU-saving methods would be helpful. Speo? Adam F? Exode? Mattias? Rob A?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

17 Nov 2016

Great update.

It's always nice to see developers updating their products. Much appreciated.

Exowildebeest

17 Nov 2016

Such a big update, so soon! Awesome :)

alex

17 Nov 2016

lemec wrote: Anyway on my recent trance songs normalty when I use individual patches I can I upload at least 5-6 patches along with a dozen of antidotes and relatives percussion etc. So it's ok. I can survive with it.
I will avoid using combination for the moment. Trance tracks are particularly complex and the idea of doing many bounces still not pass me through my head.
Karim, just few hints I use from time to time to lower CPU usage. For each eXpanse instance inside the combinator try lowering the quality settings on the back of the device. Also try reducing the unison voices (density) on each oscillator and finally see if you can disable or replace some CPU heavy effects like reverb/distortion/phaser with the stock one! Oh, also you can lower polyphony/notes on some chords especially on busy parts. Ciao!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

eXode

17 Nov 2016

lemec wrote:
eXode wrote:

I apologize for the blank question :)
of course I realize that expanse is not comparable to any synth in terms of power

I try to explain myself :

My 2 Mac ( a Pro and a Imac 2016) starts to "fry" the audio . It is because of a recent refill i bought yesterday (of which shall remain nameless)
with a pair of combinator I can already quit and go home. :)
Anyway on my recent trance songs normalty when I use individual patches I can I upload at least 5-6 patches along with a dozen of antidotes and relatives percussion etc. So it's ok. I can survive with it.

P.s. And now with your permission I go suddenly to put my twaeky fingers to new Expanse feature and listen to the Speo ' s patches.

Cheers!
No worries, and I understand. I hope you understand that my reply was supposed to have a little ;) in it. :)

Like others have commented on, esp on Combinators you can probably save CPU by lowering the quality on each device, and also by trying to use shared FX instead (esp for Reverb).

fieldframe
RE Developer

17 Nov 2016

eXode wrote:The Filter popup is accessed by the button with the down arrow, the display itself is still click 'n' drag.
Thanks for implementing this! Thanks as well for making this such a big update that my top wish list feature got overshadowed by everything else. :)

Shokstar

17 Nov 2016

Great update, the new waveforms are well sounding for new growl Sounds :D

Michaellos

17 Nov 2016

Cool thanks for the update, Blamsoft and Exode )) Is it possible to make pop-up menues for wavrforms, or it is all about sdk limitations?

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

17 Nov 2016

Nice one, thank you .... :thumbs_up:

• Information