Expanse 1.1 Update in the Shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
eXode

17 Nov 2016

Michaellos wrote:Cool thanks for the update, Blamsoft and Exode )) Is it possible to make pop-up menues for wavrforms, or it is all about sdk limitations?
It's not possible with either wavetables, mods or tuning. Sorry.

eXode

17 Nov 2016

joeyluck wrote:Have the images in the shop been updated?
I believe that's the old images still. I'll mention it to Andrew.

Michaellos

17 Nov 2016

Michaellos wrote:
Cool thanks for the update, Blamsoft and Exode )) Is it possible to make pop-up menues for wavrforms, or it is all about sdk limitations?

It's not possible with either wavetables, mods or tuning. Sorry.
Could it be created with the new sdk release ?

ojiisan

17 Nov 2016

Just like Vecto I had to hit the free update knob on the shop page. Why can't we just sync this?
Anyway, very happy with the update :) looking forward to mess with this.

challism

17 Nov 2016

Excellent! Thank you so much!! <3
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

eXode

17 Nov 2016

Aiyn Zahev 1.1 Patches demo:

alex

17 Nov 2016

eXode wrote: The Filter popup is accessed by the button with the down arrow, the display itself is still click 'n' drag.
And I just noticed that the down arrow button support "Edit Automation" which lets us to automate the filter type in a sequencer lane...
This is even better than I thought at first sight, sweet! :)
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

plasticpulse

17 Nov 2016

Regarding cpu, I feel like the expanse is actually pretty optimized. I do have a powerful computer, but in my contest songs I had several expanses operating at any given time, and at least two different "drum kits" that consisted completely of expanse instances (no samples, live instances). My cpu only started choking when an insane number of things were all happening at once. I'm sure if I'd used samples for the drum sounds it would have had no problem whatsoever. There are other synths which I won't name, which suck up cpu like crazy. But the expanse is pretty efficient in my opinion.

unisyn

18 Nov 2016

eXode wrote:The Filter popup is accessed by the button with the down arrow, the display itself is still click 'n' drag..
This :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

...any plans to implement something similar to OSC and LFO as well?
Would love to see it happen.
Obviously not a drop-down, since it'd be too long.
Maybe a +- button for increment/decrement?

I have a very difficult time trying to select when using a track pad.
Need to swipe several times back and forth to get it land on the correct one.

tiker01

18 Nov 2016

unisyn wrote:
eXode wrote:The Filter popup is accessed by the button with the down arrow, the display itself is still click 'n' drag..

Have you tried it with Shift held down?

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

unisyn

18 Nov 2016

tiker01 wrote:Have you tried it with Shift held down?
Thanks! didn't know this
But it seems to only work for a limited distance, and also one way?

Also it's a bit fiddly trying to work with the keyboard at the same time.

Still, this is good to know :)

fieldframe
RE Developer

18 Nov 2016

unisyn wrote:

Somehow, I literally woke up in the middle of the night with this idea: What if a single-click on the field advanced it to the next value?

This wouldn't be quite as useful when you know exactly which option you want (like, you know you want the waveform to be eXode PWM 1), because you only have to drag once to get there. But if you're trying out a few options in sequence (especially if you're learning the synth), going through one by one, dragging to advance one by one becomes very fiddly.

If a single-click could step the value to the next one, that would be a big usability win for "auditioning" oscillator values (waveforms, mods, etc) on Expanse.

theshoemaker

18 Nov 2016

fieldframe wrote:
unisyn wrote:

Somehow, I literally woke up in the middle of the night with this idea: What if a single-click on the field advanced it to the next value?

This wouldn't be quite as useful when you know exactly which option you want (like, you know you want the waveform to be eXode PWM 1), because you only have to drag once to get there. But if you're trying out a few options in sequence (especially if you're learning the synth), going through one by one, dragging to advance one by one becomes very fiddly.

If a single-click could step the value to the next one, that would be a big usability win for "auditioning" oscillator values (waveforms, mods, etc) on Expanse.
Jupp. I second that. I never liked click'n'drag. Especially because right now I'm just on my MacBook in the middle of nowhere. And with the touchpad it's ... ahh
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

GRIFTY

18 Nov 2016

Gasp..... Amazing update........ And it's..... FREE?! you're telling me this doesn't cost forty dollars?? I'm a loyal Blamsoft customer and pledge my continued loyalty. This is fan service right here.

And regarding CPU, I have a decent CPU. Part of the reason i bought this synth instantly is that it can FRY my CPU lol. The only synth I've seen in reason that'll tank my rig with one instance. That's power right there

EnochLight

18 Nov 2016

eXode wrote:New in Expanse version 1.1

Drag to connect Mod Matrix destinations
17 new wavetables (includes Prophet VS waveforms)
3 new oscillator mods
50 presets by Speo + 50 presets by Aiyn Zahev Sounds
Filter type popup menus

Aiyn Zahev 1.1 Patches demo.

Enjoy!
This is a fantastic update to what is arguably the best RE synth available in Reason right now - nice! Now, serious question (and I know this may sound self serving, but...) - have you guys considered adding a dual-stepper type function into the custom display page (similar to what Spire has)? In a perfect world, I would want a dual-stepper that can have each oscillator freely routed to each stepper. I'd also like to be able to freely route each oscillator to its own arp, so we would essentially have quad-arps (and perhaps even a quad stepper)!

What do you say? ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

mind2069

18 Nov 2016

With a synth like expanse, if you would add oscillators and filters like the ones in Legend or any legendary synth, could you basically get the same sound (or near), meaning without the effects. by adding waveforms and filters coupled with the versality of the oscillators on expanse, can you come close to many synths.

Being french, I hope I formulated that question well.

Spryx

18 Nov 2016

Wow...that demo track is incredible!

Oddly enough, I am also having issue with my rack extensions not updating with "sync all". It doesn't seem to just affect Expanse... Vecto 1.04 did not install until I clicked download.
latest:

theshoemaker

18 Nov 2016

mind2069 wrote:With a synth like expanse, if you would add oscillators and filters like the ones in Legend or any legendary synth, could you basically get the same sound (or near), meaning without the effects. by adding waveforms and filters coupled with the versality of the oscillators on expanse, can you come close to many synths.

Im pretty sure you can. So versatile this synth.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

eXode

19 Nov 2016

EnochLight wrote:This is a fantastic update to what is arguably the best RE synth available in Reason right now - nice! Now, serious question (and I know this may sound self serving, but...) - have you guys considered adding a dual-stepper type function into the custom display page (similar to what Spire has)? In a perfect world, I would want a dual-stepper that can have each oscillator freely routed to each stepper. I'd also like to be able to freely route each oscillator to its own arp, so we would essentially have quad-arps (and perhaps even a quad stepper)!

What do you say? ;)
I understand your request, In fact a stepper was something I had in mind for the initial design as well, but I am afraid that it's not plausible at this point. That's all I can say for the time being. I do appreciate the input though. :)

raymondh

19 Nov 2016

Congrats and thanks to Blamsoft and eXode. A very inspiring and great sounding synth!

eXode

19 Nov 2016

mind2069 wrote:With a synth like expanse, if you would add oscillators and filters like the ones in Legend or any legendary synth, could you basically get the same sound (or near), meaning without the effects. by adding waveforms and filters coupled with the versality of the oscillators on expanse, can you come close to many synths.

I'm not sure if I understand your question completely, but Expanse does a good job of approximating several classic synthesizers by using the included waveforms (1. Basic Analog, 2. Basic PWM, and 50. Viking in particular) and the various filters.

The S-K (Sallen-Key) filters are based on the filters found in the Korg MS20
The SVF (State Variable) filters are based on the filters found in the Oberheim SEM (L P12, BP 6, and HP 12 in particular)
The LD (Ladder) filters are based on the filters found in the Moog synthesizers (LD LP 24 in particular)

I hope this helps! :)

groggy1

19 Nov 2016

Like everyone else, I also didn't get this update with "Sync all", had to first purchase the $0.00 upgrade.

I think this is a sign that other synths may support *paid* upgrades in the future? (since this seems like a new workflow in the reason shop?)

Exowildebeest

19 Nov 2016

groggy1 wrote:Like everyone else, I also didn't get this update with "Sync all", had to first purchase the $0.00 upgrade.

I think this is a sign that other synths may support *paid* upgrades in the future? (since this seems like a new workflow in the reason shop?)
They already support that. Parsec just got a paid upgrade.

Breach The Sky

19 Nov 2016

The only thing i miss in this synth is filter drive. Would that be possible to add? Other than that it's a great synth and it will probably become my go-to synth, when I can afford to buy it, that is.

eXode

19 Nov 2016

Breach The Sky wrote:The only thing i miss in this synth is filter drive. Would that be possible to add? Other than that it's a great synth and it will probably become my go-to synth, when I can afford to buy it, that is.
We have no plans for adding filter drive for the time being. Sorry.

• Information