Mathieu Demange's RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer Song Challenge Winners

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Reasonistas
RE Developer

14 Nov 2016

Mathieu Demange's RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer Song Challenge Winners!

As always, we congratulate all participants for their hard work and participation. We listened to all 21 songs and are now ready to announce the top 3 winners chosen by the four judges.

The Winners!

1st Place
Prize: RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer
Entry # 10 - TritoneAddiction - A Day At The Circus

2nd Place
Entry # 20 - God Of Rainbows - nanoBots: EVOLUTION

3rd Place
Entry # 14 - HeavyViper - Cyberdrake Assault (RYM2612)

IMPORTANT: Instructions to the winners
Please send the following items (as download links) to Noel G. via ReasonTalk private messaging:

1. Your Reason song files to verify compliance with all song challenge rules.
2. A .wav version of your song for Mathieu Demange to possibly upload to their SoundCloud page.
2. Your contact email address and PH user account name to coordinator the delivery of your prize(s).

Closing Statement
Congratulations again to each of you for your stellar music, and thank you for taking the time to participate in the Reasonistas and Mathieu Demange's RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer Song Challenge.

You can here all song entries here: https://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.ph ... 71#p286717

All the best!

Mathieu Demange, William Lamy, Yoann Turpin and Noel G.
ImageImageImage

Reasonistas
RE Developer

14 Nov 2016

Accidental double post. Please ignore.
Last edited by Reasonistas on 14 Nov 2016, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

TheGodOfRainbows

14 Nov 2016

Yes! THANK YOU GUYS! I love the synth, and it's a strange feeling to create my own SEGA Genesis game music! The nostalgia is intense. I will enjoy the RYM2612 a lot.

Thank you Mathieu, William, Yoann and Noel! Thanks for keeping the song challenges going. I like all the entries and they are all inspiring and unique. And congratulations to the other winners!

Now about uploading my song file as a download link, is there a specific way, or should I share a dropbox folder with the song and wav in it? What is best?

Reasonistas
RE Developer

14 Nov 2016

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:Yes! THANK YOU GUYS! I love the synth, and it's a strange feeling to create my own SEGA Genesis game music! The nostalgia is intense. I will enjoy the RYM2612 a lot.

Thank you Mathieu, William, Yoann and Noel! Thanks for keeping the song challenges going. I like all the entries and they are all inspiring and unique. And congratulations to the other winners!

Now about uploading my song file as a download link, is there a specific way, or should I share a dropbox folder with the song and wav in it? What is best?
Congratulations. I responded to your message.
ImageImageImage

Kuranes

14 Nov 2016

Congratulations to the winners, you well deserve it! And now I know, what one other user in the Parsec-challenge meant when he said he was happy that you, Tritone, didn't participate! :D You did an awesome job! If I had to develop a new retro-game, I'd hire you instantly!

And TheGodOfRainbows, awesome job too! You'd be my first choice, if I had to organize the soundtrack for a new Tim Burton-movie!

HeavyViper's track rocked, nice 80ies Vibe!

And I too want to thank Noel and Mathieu Demange & Crew, because even if I didn't win the challenge, I won something, that I appreciate very much: Inspiration.

The track I made wouldn't exist without your challenge and RYM2616. And although it is far from being perfect, it (and also the tracks of the others!!) made me realize, what is possible. That there's a place inside of me (and us), where I (we) can be free and do as I (we) will. And in a world like ours, where freedom is becoming more and more a rare thing, such an insight is of high value.

So, thankyou very much, all of you!
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-del-vecchio

TheGodOfRainbows

14 Nov 2016

Kuranes wrote:Congratulations to the winners, you well deserve it! And now I know, what one other user in the Parsec-challenge meant when he said he was happy that you, Tritone, didn't participate! :D You did an awesome job! If I had to develop a new retro-game, I'd hire you instantly!

And TheGodOfRainbows, awesome job too! You'd be my first choice, if I had to organize the soundtrack for a new Tim Burton-movie!

HeavyViper's track rocked, nice 80ies Vibe!

And I too want to thank Noel and Mathieu Demange & Crew, because even if I didn't win the challenge, I won something, that I appreciate very much: Inspiration.

The track I made wouldn't exist without your challenge and RYM2616. And although it is far from being perfect, it (and also the tracks of the others!!) made me realize, what is possible. That there's a place inside of me (and us), where I (we) can be free and do as I (we) will. And in a world like ours, where freedom is becoming more and more a rare thing, such an insight is of high value.

So, thankyou very much, all of you!
Thank you! BTW I don't think Tritone entered the Parsec challenge, or did I miss it? :lol: :cry: And like you, all the songs I've made for the challenges wouldn't have existed otherwise. The Golumn-like greed for winning a synth was primary motivation D: :mrgreen: But like you said, we won something else - motivation and inspiration to create something and finish it. Finishing a song is my biggest problem.

Thank you for thinking of my song as a Tim Burton-esque soundtrack! Danny Elfman is one of my all time favorite composers!!! :D

alex

15 Nov 2016

TheGodOfRainbows wrote: The Golumn-like greed for winning a synth was primary motivation D: :mrgreen: But like you said, we won something else - motivation and inspiration to create something and finish it. Finishing a song is my biggest problem.
Where is the like button?!? [emoji2]

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Nov 2016

Thanks guys. This was surprising since I had/have a really hard time understanding this synth. Sound/tweaking wise was all guess work and I was just happy I managed to make a song with it. The only FM synth I have is Zero and to be honest I haven't really figured out that one yet either.
I need to look into FM synthesis a lot more and why not start with RYM2612.
This synth will be great since I have plans to move into the field of video game music and you never know when you might need some nice retro vibes.

Congratulations to God Of Rainbows and HeavyViper. And big thanks to Mathieu, William, Yoann and Noel for arranging this Song Challenge.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Nov 2016

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:I don't think Tritone entered the Parsec challenge, or did I miss it? :lol: :cry: And like you, all the songs I've made for the challenges wouldn't have existed otherwise. The Golumn-like greed for winning a synth was primary motivation D: :mrgreen: But like you said, we won something else - motivation and inspiration to create something and finish it. Finishing a song is my biggest problem.
No I didn't enter the Parsec competition :) I started writing on a song but I didn't have enough time to finish it.

The greed factor can be a motivation for sure. But like you guys said the most important thing with these competitions is to actually have fun creating songs and try out new REs. And if you're lucky enough to win something that's a bonus. And yes actually finishing tracks is the hardest thing. Starting a track is the easy part.

TheGodOfRainbows

15 Nov 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:Thanks guys. This was surprising since I had/have a really hard time understanding this synth. Sound/tweaking wise was all guess work and I was just happy I managed to make a song with it.
This synth will be great since I have plans to move into the field of video game music and you never know when you might need some nice retro vibes.
Congratulations to God Of Rainbows and HeavyViper. And big thanks to Mathieu, William, Yoann and Noel for arranging this Song Challenge.
I enjoy modulating the TL (Operator Total Level) knobs individually for expression. FM synthesis is hard for me too. It's interesting though. Good luck on your video game music plans! And thank you!

TheGodOfRainbows

15 Nov 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:...But like you guys said the most important thing with these competitions is to actually have fun creating songs and try out new REs. And if you're lucky enough to win something that's a bonus. And yes actually finishing tracks is the hardest thing. Starting a track is the easy part.
We need the like button back! And it's too bad you skipped the Parsec challenge. I'm curious to hear what you came up with so far.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Nov 2016

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:We need the like button back! And it's too bad you skipped the Parsec challenge. I'm curious to hear what you came up with so far.
Yes the like button is missed for sure.

My Parsec song so far is rather weird sounding, with a lot of voicy (is that a word?) sounds. But I have plans to write some sort of EP with The Legend as the only instrument, no drum samples either, like I did with my Legend song in the Song Challenge. I guess it will be my own EP Challenge :)
It's funny reading about The Legend when it dropped in the shop I initially didn't think I'd be interested in it and now after trying it out I'm almost obsessed with it.
So the Parsec so will probably wait for some time to be finished.

I really liked your song by the way. It has a nice nostalgic feel to it even though it's a new song. Lots of interesting things happening throughout.

TheGodOfRainbows

17 Nov 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:We need the like button back! And it's too bad you skipped the Parsec challenge. I'm curious to hear what you came up with so far.
Yes the like button is missed for sure.

My Parsec song so far is rather weird sounding, with a lot of voicy (is that a word?) sounds. But I have plans to write some sort of EP with The Legend as the only instrument, no drum samples either, like I did with my Legend song in the Song Challenge. I guess it will be my own EP Challenge :)
It's funny reading about The Legend when it dropped in the shop I initially didn't think I'd be interested in it and now after trying it out I'm almost obsessed with it.
So the Parsec so will probably wait for some time to be finished.

I really liked your song by the way. It has a nice nostalgic feel to it even though it's a new song. Lots of interesting things happening throughout.
Thanks! One of my problems, other than finishing songs, is staying FOCUSED on what the song is about, and not going off into some undiscovered country that has nothing to do with the rest of the song. I'm fortunate that way, in that I don't have a shortage of ideas - I sometimes have too many and I try to cram a lot of stuff into one song. Editing (cutting) stuff out is very hard for me! But I think that's one of the most important aspects of a good song (or video/movie): removing things that you (the creator) like, but that hurt the song/movie overall.

And there are many synths and effects over the years that I NEVER thought I would have any interest in, but that often changes when I get one in my hands (so to speak), and start playing with it for the first time. I must admit, when Parsec first came out, I totally missed the point and didn't really appreciate what it can do. Now, OMG I realize it's power. But, I have learned a lot just in the last year or two which has woken me up some. Legend is beautiful too, and OF COURSE the RYM2612 is wonderful and I love it. But in the case of the RYM, I knew I needed it from day one.

Oh, like I said before about finishing songs, now that I've won the RYM2612, I can continue working on nanoBots because I feel it's unfinished!!! Now I can spend real quality time with this synth.

PS - A Day At The Circus is great, but all your stuff is great.

HeavyViper

21 Nov 2016

Whoops! Thought the announcement would be in the other thread, my bad. PM sent!

Pretty stoked to snag a copy of this RE! I've been writing YM2612 tracks in a tracker interface for a while now, so it was interesting to see how the chip fares in a DAW environment. I especially like the DAC direct in - nice, grungy, lo-fi samples in an instant.
Kuranes wrote:HeavyViper's track rocked, nice 80ies Vibe!
Appreciate it! Congrats to the other winners, and nice work to all the entrants. Nice to see some Reason love for my favourite system. :>
Sound Designer and Composer :reason: FM+PSG Chip Sorcerer
https://heavyviper.bandcamp.com

Kuranes

21 Nov 2016

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
Thank you! BTW I don't think Tritone entered the Parsec challenge, or did I miss it? :lol: :cry: And like you, all the songs I've made for the challenges wouldn't have existed otherwise. The Golumn-like greed for winning a synth was primary motivation D: :mrgreen: But like you said, we won something else - motivation and inspiration to create something and finish it. Finishing a song is my biggest problem.

Thank you for thinking of my song as a Tim Burton-esque soundtrack! Danny Elfman is one of my all time favorite composers!!! :D

LOL, the Gollum-like greed for winning a synth certainly plaid a role also in getting me involved in these Challenges! :D And yes, finishing a song is also my biggest problem, so I can say, I'm really happy, that Tritone brought up the idea for a new challenge, that offers not a material prize like a RE, but rather the accomplishment of producing an EP towards a deadline that the contributors can set for themselves.

Will you join us? :)

https://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7497676

And regarding your Tim Burton-esque track: That was initially what I was thinking, when I first heard your track! And yes, Danny Elfman is also one of my favorite composers! :)

Kuranes

21 Nov 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:Thanks guys. This was surprising since I had/have a really hard time understanding this synth. Sound/tweaking wise was all guess work and I was just happy I managed to make a song with it. The only FM synth I have is Zero and to be honest I haven't really figured out that one yet either.

I wish you good luck, that you'll make it into that field, without a doubt you have the talent to create great music!!!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2016

Kuranes wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:Thanks guys. This was surprising since I had/have a really hard time understanding this synth. Sound/tweaking wise was all guess work and I was just happy I managed to make a song with it. The only FM synth I have is Zero and to be honest I haven't really figured out that one yet either.

I wish you good luck, that you'll make it into that field, without a doubt you have the talent to create great music!!!
Thanks, I really appreicate it. It just seems that whenever I write music people tell me it could be used in video games. So since my music apparently sounds video gamey even when I don't try, why not actually try to write for games?
"A Day At The Circus" is supposed to sound like it could be used in a game though, with a Sega synth I felt like that would be appropriate :)

Kuranes

21 Nov 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:
Kuranes wrote: I wish you good luck, that you'll make it into that field, without a doubt you have the talent to create great music!!!
Thanks, I really appreicate it. It just seems that whenever I write music people tell me it could be used in video games. So since my music apparently sounds video gamey even when I don't try, why not actually try to write for games?
"A Day At The Circus" is supposed to sound like it could be used in a game though, with a Sega synth I felt like that would be appropriate :)
Honor, to whom honor is due ;) Do it, because "A Day At The Circus" is truely great! It is the score you'd expect from a real fine retro-style million-seller!

inphonik
RE Developer

22 Nov 2016

Hi!
Again, congratulations and thank you for entering the competition with your awesome entries! It's a bliss to listen to what you guys can do with the synth.
Below, the jury's fast-compiled notes for every submitted song.
Yours,
Mathieu & William

Entry # 01 - K.Markov - Fantasy
Very well thought and executed song with a pleasant "perpetuum mobile". Great arpeggio progression in a peaceful, majestuous and classical feel. Excellent harmony progression, nice bell textures and dreamy soundscape.

Entry # 02 - bsp (bsp604) - Rym2612 - Test - 11Oct2016 Rec A
Impressive and creative "glitching" musical development gives this composition movement and direction. Great use of percussive sound design. Nice ambient buildup and glitch effects. Quite trippy with efficient pads. Great drum programming and bit crushing effect.

Entry # 03 - teddymcw-playground - 'Autumn' - Using the RYM2612
Nice usage of both typical and original sound patches. Nice mixing, great use of stereo. Nice tribute to RPG music genre, beautiful nostalgic mood in the music writing. Lovely blend of sounds.

Entry # 04 - Loque - Mr. Coman
Very good usage of the RYM2612 in a sophisticated and contemporary way. Awesome breaks ! Nice distorted sound design. High energy that gives new ideas on texture possibilities. Nice driving beat.

Entry # 05 - Plasticpulse - You Don't Look Real
Very organic and nice textures give a unique atmosphere to this song. Nice intensive sound design ! Excellent craftsmanship in musical colors, very convincing contrasts. Nice drop toward the last half.

Entry # 06 - plastic fractal - yellow eyes
Fresh and creative sound patches nicely highlight the RYM2612 versality. Awesome feel. Very cute. Impressive sound design and stereo mixing. A dramatic progression that reminds the best moments of SNES platformers ! Liked the backwards percussion effect and the delay on the tubular sound.

Entry # 07 - VNUProd - RYM2612 Demo Song
Really punchy and yet subtle combination of metal, FM and chiptune influences. Massive sound ! Great use of chip-oriented sounds in your production. A very well managed epic note, as well as a true tribute to a famous vampire hunter. Nice arp sequence.

Entry # 08 - Coding - RyM
Creative usage of wisely choosen FX brings a lot of different flavours. Awesome sound design, crisp and trippy. Great automations and mix. A more than welcome touch of sound-design. Very spacious soundscape.

Entry # 09 - ThisIsNotTheMusic - TITNM V2
Nice jumpy and powerful drum beat. Nice pads and sidechain effects. A very atypical ambiance. Nice swing on the beat.

Entry # 10 - TritoneAddiction - A Day At The Circus
Great authentic and fun composition. Sounds like a Genesis soundtrack. Great use of the chip's videogame music style capabilities. Very good arrangements. Quite impossible not to smile and to gloat by listening to this track. Lovely melody.

Entry # 11 - Hazel (Azrael's Amblyopia) - Broken Ouija
Nice morphing and FX techniques. Nice ambient take ! Great use of reverbs. As good as an actual original soundtrack, beautiful work on textures. Nice long drone on this one.

Entry # 12 - Advanced Suite - Simultaneous
Great demonstration of what the RYM2612 can achieve in a lot of different contexts. Solid production, nice sound design ! Catchy filtered pads. A very efficient trip-hop track, with a special care on sound-design programming. Nice reggae/dub feel.

Entry # 13 - Overneath The Skybridge - The Siren
Impressive sound programming skills. Great mix and noisy sound design ! Total immersion, special points for originality ! Nice intro.

Entry # 14 - HeavyViper - Cyberdrake Assault (RYM2612)
This is an hYMn! Impressive production ! Extensive use of distorted sounds, thank you ! Lots of ancient memories of adventure in your beautiful melodic lines, and in the sound-design colors. Nice complex sequencing.

Entry # 15 - Renato Amu - THE CHIP
A creative song with an evolving approach of the typical YM textures. Nice oldschool funk, great mix. Can be danced on, could easily be featured on a OST ! Nice clean sounding track and playful melody.

Entry # 16 - Ghosts In The Attic - Owls
Rich combinations of RYM2612 sounds. Solid mix, great patch programming. Pop-colored tones that sound great, an interesting serial aspect. Great synth layering.

Entry # 17 - Dalle - Gates
Nice RYM2612 palette demo. Nice progression and automations. Great ambient feel. Gives the feel that RYM2612 is a UFO. An unexpected, bluffing take. Nice drum programming.

Entry # 18 - Zhi Zhu - AJ 3000 - Magic Carpet
Interesting FM patches. Bold beat, hypnotic chords ! A dense creation, quite coherent. Relentless noise.

Entry # 19 - God Of Rainbows - Legend Of The Ancient nanoBots
Great storytelling song with very well conducted RYM2612 skills. Epic! I want to play the game. Perfect soundtrack in many aspects. A very rich composition that respects every code of the genre. Interesting transitions.

Entry # 20 - God Of Rainbows - nanoBots: EVOLUTION
Great contemporary usage of the (R)YM2612 in a moving soundtrack style. Massive realisation. Winner track, thank you so much! Beautiful progression with thrilling effects. Surprises throughout the song.

Entry # 21 - Zhi Zhu - AJ 3000 - Grits (RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer)
Interesting automations on the RYM2612. Nice rhodes and gritty bass sounds. A harmonic throbbing grid. Interesting chords.

Kuranes

22 Nov 2016

Hi Mathieu and William, thankyou very much for your differentiated comments on our tracks! It was a pleasure to partake in your challenge, and for sure I'll enter the next challenge you'll hopefully set up for your next synth!

I want to add, that it's really cool to read your comments on all tracks and - listening to the great variety of them again - to realize the vast potential of RYM2612 in particular, and once more of creating electronic music in general.

ThisIsNotTheMusic

22 Nov 2016

mathieudemange wrote:Hi!
Again, congratulations and thank you for entering the competition with your awesome entries! It's a bliss to listen to what you guys can do with the synth.
Below, the jury's fast-compiled notes for every submitted song.
Yours,
Mathieu & William

Entry # 09 - ThisIsNotTheMusic - TITNM V2
Nice jumpy and powerful drum beat. Nice pads and sidechain effects. A very atypical ambiance. Nice swing on the beat.
Thanks for the positive feedback, this was a very fun comp and I loved the synth - very easy to use. It's very good of you to provide everyone some nice comments. Congrats to everyone who entered and thanks to anyone that listened. :thumbs_up:
https://soundcloud.com/hissotheusic

In space, no one can hear your song ....

TheGodOfRainbows

23 Nov 2016

Wow. Thank you for listing each song's individual qualities. It takes time to critically listen to and analyze every song's unique traits, and then comment on each one's strengths. It's encouraging and much appreciated.

• Information