Dr. Octo MIDI loop player ?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
coding
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2016

Some time ago I went back to Reason. I was tired of working in grey scale DAW's/programs like ( live, reaktor, renoise etc.)
Even if it's limited in some aspects (the sample players are old school etc.) if you know what you want to achieve there is always workaround.
But one thing that I'm totally missing is MIDI file loop player as a rack device. I know that on this forum you can find some :re: developers.
I wanted to ask if it's possible to build such device using actual SDK?

groggy1

28 Sep 2016

I would have said that's a crazy idea half a year back. But as a PLAYER, makes total sense.

You may be onto something, maybe this'll be the next player Props build...

Ahornberg

28 Sep 2016

maybe use blocks

coding
Competition Winner

28 Sep 2016

Ahornberg wrote:maybe use blocks
The whole idea behind this device is to use midi loops during live performances. You could play midi clips on the fly, change them in sync. It could provide the "missing" live playing pattern element many of you asked.
Im imaging that it could easily be used like "ableton session view". At the moment you have the ability to play audio loops using Dr Octo. Mangle them with your midi controller. I really would like to see the option to use in such way midi loops. When not synced to "beats" it could also be a great midi rearrange.

Ahornberg

29 Sep 2016

If you do not rely on MIDI, then you can use a pattern sequencer like Matrix or some of the more sophisticated REs.

dana

29 Sep 2016

If you are savvy enough you can use each gate output of propulsion with:

CV8X4 CV Generator, each of the 8 outputs into:
Pepin hazan's RVL-1 (on note recognition mode, just click the display until it shows a note)
then merge each of these using:
Lectric Panda's MoPol (where you merge the notes from the RVL-1 with the gate outputs from propulsion)

To one cv/gate output that can be used anywhere.

dana

29 Sep 2016

Blocks can also kind of be used in a live situation if you draw one block on the timeline within a loop then change that block when you need to, that way there is no interruption to playback like you have when in blocks mode.

electrofux

29 Sep 2016

How about just finally doing a clip launcher ;-)

Ahornberg

29 Sep 2016

Maybe using Live and Rewire?

electrofux

30 Sep 2016

Ahornberg wrote:Maybe using Live and Rewire?
Tried it, didnt like it. Hazzles with Remote (either you control Reason devices from withing Ableton then you have no feedback or you control within Reason then you don't follow the selected track in Ableton- if Rewire would be bidirectional for Midi it would be a different story). On top of that you either need 2 Monitors or switch applications all the time, and you need to save two songfiles.

coding
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2016

I'm now testing the option Renoise Rewire + Reason. It works quite nice you can control the parts of the Reason arrangements going from one pattern to another. Also it's easy to send midi notes to Reason from Renoise.
The Renoise instruments have the same names as the Reason one. The only problem is when I change the preset in Reason instrument the connection start to be broken.

But as electrofux wrote you need to use two programs in the same time :/
I want also try to use Maschine + Reason using virtual MIDI. The instruments in reason rack and the midi from Maschine.

The MATRIX complex sequencers is also a nice option but the problem is that sometimes I record lot of MIDI clips and then I need to convert them into sequences.

Playing solo I use beatstep pro and here I make the most stuff, but from time to time I need additional arrangement elements (I'm not able to make everything on the fly).

Any way thanks for all advices :)

Ollie

30 Sep 2016

dana wrote:Blocks can also kind of be used in a live situation if you draw one block on the timeline within a loop then change that block when you need to, that way there is no interruption to playback like you have when in blocks mode.
Blocks are amazeballs. I use them kinda like a MIDI loop player actually. Every block holds a different chunk of MIDI or audio and then I draw out the song in block pieces.

coding
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2016

Ollie wrote:
dana wrote:Blocks can also kind of be used in a live situation if you draw one block on the timeline within a loop then change that block when you need to, that way there is no interruption to playback like you have when in blocks mode.
Blocks are amazeballs. I use them kinda like a MIDI loop player actually. Every block holds a different chunk of MIDI or audio and then I draw out the song in block pieces.

A nice technique :)

• Information