What's your favorite synth/instrument RE under 40 $/€?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2016

I'm talking full price REs, if you got it under 40 on sale it doesn't count.
Also no refills.

I haven't included any drum/percussion REs or stuff like Mixfood Ambi Nature.

A list in no particular order:

Meteora
Lithium
Solaris
Orbis
4mer
Iridium
Black Pole
Megasaur
Aurora
Nautilus
MS-34
FM4
Mixfood Orange
Mixfood Unison
Chip64
Snakebite
VO-1
All of the Organ instruments from Jiggery Pokery

I think that's all of them, if not feel free to add any instrument I've forgotten.

boobytrap

05 Jun 2016

FM 4
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

Loque

05 Jun 2016

Snakebite! Awsome and unique bass synth. I also had said 4mer, but its still a bit buggy and still not fixed yet.
Reason12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2016

Of the ones I've tried or own I would probably go for Megasaur or Snakebite.

Megasaur is very easy to work with and limited and I like that. It makes you write a song rather than spend all your time tweaking synths.

Snakebite has a very distinctive sound that I haven't got from any other synth in the rack, so for me it brings something new and different.

Zac

05 Jun 2016

I'm trying Solaris at the minute and I'm very impressed with its sounds.

Megasaur gets my vote out of those I have. It's very well thought out and sounds great.

Ahornberg

05 Jun 2016

A-Series by Ochen K.!

16BitBear

05 Jun 2016

Ahornberg wrote:A-Series by Ochen K.!
Yeah, that is one of my favorites as well.

FM4 and the A-Series were two very inexpensive purchases that I use often. :thumbs_up:

riemac

05 Jun 2016

Megasaur, because I'm into trance and Megasaur is very good for that. I also like it, that Megasaur is focused and not overcomplex.

Skullture

05 Jun 2016

FM4, no doubt!

sdst
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2016

Also no refills
the sample base synth for me are refills.lol

i pick the FM4

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2016

sdst wrote:
Also no refills
the sample base synth for me are refills.lol
I was wondering how long it would take before someone would make a "IDT synths are not real synths" type of comment.
Well at least we got through 8 comments before it happened. That's better than I expected. ;)

Maybe it's a valid opinion but please let's not turn this into a debate about IDT synths being real synths or not. Before you know it people will argue about Mac vs PC. I've seen it happen before. We can do it people, come on. :)

By the way sdst, I'm not directing all of this towards you, it's just I've seen how fast these threads here at Reasontalk can go off topic or end with endless arguing, even if it starts with a simple joke.

Shokstar

05 Jun 2016

Fm4, 4mer and Ammo 100 LA

dvdrtldg

05 Jun 2016

FM4
Snakebite
Iridium
Mixfood Orange

Breach The Sky

05 Jun 2016

I'm gonna echo FM4 and Megasaur. Megasaur does the big supersaw stuff better than anything in reason att the moment imo.
FM4 has a gritty sound that lends itself to raw cyberpunk-ish sounds.

Haven't tried Solaris yet but it sounds interesting.

Deep Schulzz

05 Jun 2016

Megasaur brings fantastic value for the money. I like these specialized synths for less money that can do one thing really good. Would like to see something like Megasaur for things like bells, tuned percussions or whatever......

:recycle: :re: :reason: :record: :refill: :ignition:

challism

05 Jun 2016

I'm not sure if it's still available, but Robotic Bean put out a mean instrument a little while ago.... the cowbell RE. It's probably my favorite for under $40.

Seriously, from what I own, I would say Snakebite and 4MER. I guess 4MER still needs some bugs worked out or something, but it's great fun to program, and I really like the way you can warp the oscillators.

I'm curious about Megasaur. I haven't really looked at it at all before, until seeing so many ppl on this thread loving it. Then I just looked and saw that it is made by DLD, the same ppl that did Snakebite. I'm a DLD fan. So, yeah, now I am very curious about this synth. Didn't it go on sale during May Madness? What was the sale price, out of curiosity?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Loque

05 Jun 2016

challism wrote:I'm not sure if it's still available, but Robotic Bean put out a mean instrument a little while ago.... the cowbell RE. It's probably my favorite for under $40.

Seriously, from what I own, I would say Snakebite and 4MER. I guess 4MER still needs some bugs worked out or something, but it's great fun to program, and I really like the way you can warp the oscillators.

I'm curious about Megasaur. I haven't really looked at it at all before, until seeing so many ppl on this thread loving it. Then I just looked and saw that it is made by DLD, the same ppl that did Snakebite. I'm a DLD fan. So, yeah, now I am very curious about this synth. Didn't it go on sale during May Madness? What was the sale price, out of curiosity?
Megasaur was 19€, and its nice, but not awsome imo. I miss lots of controls in that synth...
Reason12, Win10

Libraquaricorn

05 Jun 2016

I was going to say ivoks, but that's probably over 40 then...

Melody303

05 Jun 2016

Mixfood Unison and 4MER.
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

electrochoc (PRX-A)

05 Jun 2016

I'm still limited to SDK 1 REs, so I haven't tried/got most of those less-than-40$ REs... My favorite up to now is Chip64, for fast chiptune-like sounds that I can use as "special effects" in my projects...
Libraquaricorn wrote:I was going to say ivoks, but that's probably over 40 then...
I think its regular price was 39$ at first... It's now 49$. Inflation... ;)
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

dvdrtldg

05 Jun 2016

Libraquaricorn wrote:I was going to say ivoks, but that's probably over 40 then...
Yeah I came in here to mention Ivoks, pretty sure it was under 40 when I bought it. Love that synth

challism

06 Jun 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:
Yeah I came in here to mention Ivoks, pretty sure it was under 40 when I bought it. Love that synth

I was gonna mention Ivoks too, but had to look it up to be sure. Yup, it's $49 now. I'm happy I got it upon release for $25, I think.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

flightONE

07 Jun 2016

chip64!!!! I love it! but it crashes sometimes:(

DLDTech

07 Jun 2016

Thanks for all the votes for Megasaur and Snakebite! Plan is to continue with unique devices around that price range, so keep an eye out for a new release later in the year...
Megasaur Supersaw synth now released Follow @DLDTechnology for new stuff!

• Information