Nostromo Synth is in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
rcbuse
RE Developer

23 Jun 2016

Ottostrom wrote:What am i doing wrong with the attack?
Even when i put it on max and it says 10.3 s the sound still starts to play super fast (sounds more lika 0.5 sec attack) :(
I want reallt slow attack but i cant seem to figure out how to get it.
post a patch or screenshot?

Loque

23 Jun 2016

rcbuse wrote:
Ottostrom wrote:What am i doing wrong with the attack?
Even when i put it on max and it says 10.3 s the sound still starts to play super fast (sounds more lika 0.5 sec attack) :(
I want reallt slow attack but i cant seem to figure out how to get it.
post a patch or screenshot?
I had some similar problems. The envelope filter and amp felt buggy sometimes, but i didnt investigated the problem, i just thought i am too stupid... Well maybe i am... Dunno...
Reason12, Win10

kuniklo

23 Jun 2016

Here's a very simple patch with a slow attack on the amp envelope. Maybe you're not changing the right envelope?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4akacbj2e4ujs ... patch?dl=0

Ottostrom

24 Jun 2016

rcbuse wrote: post a patch or screenshot?
Even this patch has a pretty fast attack. Im only trying the synth and have not bought it yet.

Ottostrom

24 Jun 2016

kuniklo wrote:Here's a very simple patch with a slow attack on the amp envelope. Maybe you're not changing the right envelope?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4akacbj2e4ujs ... patch?dl=0
When i try to load the patch nothing happens? :?

rcbuse
RE Developer

24 Jun 2016

Ottostrom wrote:
Even this patch has a pretty fast attack. Im only trying the synth and have not bought it yet.
The envelopes times and curves were modeled after Thor with about 10 seconds required to come to full volume. This is the first request for a longer attack time. I would suggested using the modulation matrix with a src of 100 and the attack time as the destination, but it appears I have them all limited, I'll put that on the todo list to change and then people can use the mod matrix to blow those values way out.

WongoTheSane

24 Jun 2016

rcbuse wrote:
Ottostrom wrote:
The envelopes times and curves were modeled after Thor with about 10 seconds required to come to full volume. This is the first request for a longer attack time. I would suggested using the modulation matrix with a src of 100 and the attack time as the destination, but it appears I have them all limited, I'll put that on the todo list to change and then people can use the mod matrix to blow those values way out.
There's another way. The attack curve is not linear but logarithmic (which is why the sound seems to rise very quickly in volume); by applying an inverse log curve (sorta) on it, you can almost turn it into a linear curve.

In this picture, the first graph shows my flattened curve on top, the LFO I applied in the middle and the original attack curve at the bottom:
counter-log2.PNG
counter-log2.PNG (175.18 KiB) Viewed 3068 times
Here's how to do it (I've outlined the important settings):
counter-log.PNG
counter-log.PNG (88.32 KiB) Viewed 3068 times
- Enable Key Sync on the first LFO (we want this LFO to start on every key press)
- Enable "Once"
- Choose wave #8 (the downward slope with the "+" sign at top right, which means that this wave has a positive range only)
- In the Modulation Matrix, set "LFO1" as source, "100" as amount and "Env1Attack" as destination.
- Finally, set the rate for LFO1 to something like in the above picture. Depending on the average length of your notes, you'll have to adjust it: to the left if you're playing slow, to the right if you're playing fast. It's easily done by ear.

That's it, Thor-like attack!

Tumble

25 Jun 2016

Who named the factory presets? Lone? :thumbs_up:

Ottostrom

25 Jun 2016

WongoTheSane wrote: There's another way. The attack curve is not linear but logarithmic (which is why the sound seems to rise very quickly in volume); by applying an inverse log curve (sorta) on it, you can almost turn it into a linear curve.
A logarithmic curve was my guess on why it sounded so fast, thank you for doing the research!
And great tip on how to smooth it out to be more linear :)

Ottostrom

25 Jun 2016

rcbuse wrote: The envelopes times and curves were modeled after Thor with about 10 seconds required to come to full volume. This is the first request for a longer attack time. I would suggested using the modulation matrix with a src of 100 and the attack time as the destination, but it appears I have them all limited, I'll put that on the todo list to change and then people can use the mod matrix to blow those values way out.
Thank you for listening to the users! This kind of care is greatly appreciated by the community :thumbs_up:

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

05 Jul 2016

Grumbleweed wrote:Am I being lame or does this device not have pop ups to tell you the settings of the controls? I wanted to set a delay time (dotted eighths), noticed it has a sync button but I'm not seeing any info to be able to set the time.

Grum.
Turns out that Reason has an option to turn "Show parameter tool tip" on and off and it decided to turn it off. I've been using Reason for over 10 years and it's never done that to me before.

Grum.

selig
RE Developer

05 Jul 2016

rcbuse wrote:
Ottostrom wrote:

+1 for "unlimited" control destinations - it was one of the nicest discoveries of Thor's modulation matrix, and I even produced a few tutorials on how to extend LFO and Envelope times (as well as extending the LP filters down to use a lag generators). Not everyone allows this, but for those of use who like to go down the rabbit holes this gets around you having to have extended envelope times and LFO rates!
:)

BTW, you can create more "snappy" (exponential) decay rates by scaling the envelope with itself as you can do in Thor. Wish more envelopes had "shape" controls…
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

WongoTheSane

13 Jul 2016

I don't know if anyone noticed, but 1.0.2 is available in the shop:

New in version 1.0.2
- Extended possible envelope times via modulation matrix.

Thaat was fast...

Vyckeil

13 Jul 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:I don't know if anyone noticed, but 1.0.2 is available in the shop:

New in version 1.0.2
- Extended possible envelope times via modulation matrix.

Thaat was fast...
Yeah, Lectric Panda is top-tier RE developer, at least in my opinion.

Faastwalker

13 Jul 2016

Vyckeil wrote:Yeah, Lectric Panda is top-tier RE developer, at least in my opinion.
Agreed. This was the case before Nostromo but this monster synth elevated Lectric Panda to new heights.

challism

13 Jul 2016

Yes, I agree, too. Lectric Panda is top-notch.

Thanks for the added feature and continued support, Panda!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

plasticpulse

31 Jul 2016

The synth is great, definitely one of the best I've tried. The patches are really nice too. But the PSQ is proving difficult to work with for me. It would be really helpful if the synth came with some combinators that use the PSQ. As a longtime Reason user, I'm no stranger to hooking things up and routing signals, but even so, the PSQ has a daunting number of outputs. I am trying out the power bundle and would like to see how the PSQ and synth both work together. Are there any example combinators out there which use the PSQ?

WongoTheSane

31 Jul 2016

plasticpulse wrote:The synth is great, definitely one of the best I've tried. The patches are really nice too. But the PSQ is proving difficult to work with for me. It would be really helpful if the synth came with some combinators that use the PSQ. As a longtime Reason user, I'm no stranger to hooking things up and routing signals, but even so, the PSQ has a daunting number of outputs. I am trying out the power bundle and would like to see how the PSQ and synth both work together. Are there any example combinators out there which use the PSQ?
It's true PSQ is a mysterious beast at first glance. I don't have a combinator handy but I found the 4 tutorials made by Hydlide on ReasonExperts invaluable in understanding how everything clicks together:

http://www.reasonexperts.com/video-tuto ... nsion.html

It spans about an hour of dense, in-depth explanations of every setting. But by the end of the first video you'll already have a pretty good understanding of how it all works, the rest is just icing on the cake (worth it though).

XysteR

03 Aug 2016

Faastwalker wrote:
joeyluck wrote:A better example instead of a screenshot like I shared on the last page...

Here is picture of Nostromo zoomed to full screen on my MacBook Pro:

See what I'm saying? Why would you want it any taller? :puf_smile:
Wish I could do this in Windows 10 ....... I don't think I can ....... can I?!

Does it stay sharp ..... or as sharp as Reason devices look, which sometimes is not all that sharp. Do you have a retina display?

Would be great if there were an option in Reason to zoom device to display width / height. Would be great for synth programming.
Hold the 'Windows' key, then - or +

Works perfectly for me in Windows 10. 4K resolution with Reason is not much fun with out this nifty lil Win10 zoom tool.

rcbuse
RE Developer

25 Sep 2016

Nostromo Generation Alpha - Refill for Nostromo Spectral Synthesizer.

2008 Patches
Bass 267
FX 323
Mono 299
Pads 284
Percussion 228
Poly 290
Textures 317

Download at http://lectricpanda.com

Loque

25 Sep 2016

2008?sorry man , its 2016 :P
Reason12, Win10

dvdrtldg

25 Sep 2016

rcbuse wrote:Nostromo Generation Alpha - Refill for Nostromo Spectral Synthesizer.
Oooooooo some of these are nice, thanks very much

Nostromo is fast becoming my favourite synth for bleepy queasy oscillator-drifty alien soundscapes

kuniklo

26 Sep 2016

Thanks for all the new, free sounds!

Skullture

09 Oct 2016

Did Nostromo just drop in price (it's 109EUR now) ?
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... nthesizer/

martynx

09 Oct 2016

Skullture wrote:Did Nostromo just drop in price (it's 109EUR now) ?
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... nthesizer/
Yes, it was 129 I think. And the Panda Power Bundle seems to have disappeared from the shop too.

• Information