Red Rocks Multiband Compressor is in the Shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TheMiles

17 Mar 2016

Looks awesome and it isn't too expensive (49 Bucks) as well !

Link : https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... ompressor/

boobytrap

17 Mar 2016

finally-scanner[1].jpg
finally-scanner[1].jpg (54.99 KiB) Viewed 3151 times
This is the future of RE. Good Bye 80's
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

Shokstar

17 Mar 2016

Looks similar to the old Cubase multiband comp from cubase 4

Kategra

17 Mar 2016

boobytrap wrote:
This is the future of RE. Good Bye 80's
Shokstar wrote:Looks similar to the old Cubase multiband comp from cubase 4
Yup, the RE's have now reached deep into the 90's :D

Rant aside, CONGRATULATIONS TO RED ROCKS FOR DELIVERING ANOTHER SOUGHT AFTER RE!!!

lowpryo

17 Mar 2016

seems very nice to have a GUI like that on a multiband compressor RE. great job Red Rocks. I'd love to hear what people think of the sound of this compared to 4dyne though

boobytrap

17 Mar 2016

Kategra wrote: Yup, the RE's have now reached deep into the 90's :D
I hate to bring this up, but that's true .... really
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

normen

17 Mar 2016

lowpryo wrote:seems very nice to have a GUI like that on a multiband compressor RE. great job Red Rocks. I'd love to hear what people think of the sound of this compared to 4dyne though
I personally never liked the sound of 4dyne, it seems completely program INdependent, I was never able to dial in good sounding compression with it. Maybe thats just me not knowing how to handle it though, who knows. Gonna try this one when I'm home but I seldom use multiband compression these days, if at all I compress a single problematic band or use DSM by Paul Frindle, which is basically a "hyperband" compressor - great for really problematic material.

joeyluck

17 Mar 2016

Looks great! Only thing I would change is the color-coded numbers.

I would coordinate colors another way... Even though it's self-explanatory without it as to which section applies to what.
But you could do it either via coloring the meters or the knobs. Maybe whole section panels?
Could even make little blocks of color with white or black numbers on them. Or just do away with the colors on the numbers.
That's just a tiny gripe. Wouldn't even bother noting it if I didn't think the GUI was great to begin with :)

It's handy that the display at the bottom right gives focus whenever you click on a control for a particular band.
However, I don't think it should switch when you select to bypass a band.

Looking forward to trying this out!

pjeudy

17 Mar 2016

Not home to try this yet....but looks modern !
Red Rock is one of my favorite developers °great job on the UI. Question. ..does it have a spectral dislplay?
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

tibah

17 Mar 2016

TheMiles wrote:Looks awesome and it isn't too expensive (49 Bucks) as well !
Looks aren't everything, but the UI is decent. It's on intro price though.

lowpryo

17 Mar 2016

pjeudy wrote:Not home to try this yet....but looks modern !
Red Rock is one of my favorite developers °great job on the UI. Question. ..does it have a spectral dislplay?
oh, that is a very good question... I assumed it did, probably because the display reminds me a lot of the GQ-7. but I guess it's not explicitly stated. can anyone with a trial confirm? i'm also in the "can't try til i get home" boat.

Loque

17 Mar 2016

I just tried it and that is my quick review
* why does the GUI doesnt offer a spectrum?
* any plans for separate outs?
* limiter? Gater? Expander?
* dry/wet per band?
* lookahead?
+ sound quality is good, a bit clearer in the hights and more dirty in the lows than 4dyn. All in all its good
+ the separate gain reduction outs are nice fir additional dynamic EQs and more
i like the filter curves, but maybe more than 2 would be nice

I personaly dont had good results with multiband compressors, but this may be because of lack of skill. If the asked features will be added i would buy it. Without them i may think it twice or more...
Reason12, Win10

gullum

17 Mar 2016

NO spectral but the reflect when and where compression hits in.

It was insta buy for me.

gak

17 Mar 2016

Something to be excited about (party)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

17 Mar 2016

Looks great. But since I have DQ I'm not sure I really need this. I might look into it if it's on sale sometime. Not that it's super expensive right now but I have so much new stuff already that I need to dive into before I buy more REs.

But if a really good exciter gets in the shop I'm buying right away.

challism

18 Mar 2016

EDIT: I'm not trying to derail the thread... congrats to Red Rocks, one of my favorite devs. Thank you for contributing another fantastic looking RE to the Reason platform.

OK here is my question: Couldn't you just run your signal thru a band splitter, such as Yoko or Air Raid, and then run each of those bands into the compressor of your choice to get the same desired effect? Perhaps even adding an EQ of your choice along the chain. I like this solution because A) I already own a shit ton of compressors, and B) it gives me much more control over my sound, I can use McDSP on one band, RE-2A on another band, and C1L1 on the 3rd band.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

joeyluck

18 Mar 2016

challism wrote:EDIT: I'm not trying to derail the thread... congrats to Red Rocks, one of my favorite devs. Thank you for contributing another fantastic looking RE to the Reason platform.

OK here is my question: Couldn't you just run your signal thru a band splitter, such as Yoko or Air Raid, and then run each of those bands into the compressor of your choice to get the same desired effect? Perhaps even adding an EQ of your choice along the chain. I like this solution because A) I already own a shit ton of compressors, and B) it gives me much more control over my sound, I can use McDSP on one band, RE-2A on another band, and C1L1 on the 3rd band.
Well the interface is nice and handy for sure. Maybe this could be a lead into a separate band splitter which utilizes the great interface/screen and crossover control?

It's interesting that this doesn't include the separate outputs for that very application. But maybe that's because they plan a smaller device that that does just that? Which would omit the bottom half / internal compressors?

pjeudy

18 Mar 2016

challism wrote:EDIT: I'm not trying to derail the thread... congrats to Red Rocks, one of my favorite devs. Thank you for contributing another fantastic looking RE to the Reason platform.

I think your question is valid. What I can say is its a matter of workflow , convenience and possible different sonic results due in part to the quality of a devices crossovers
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

riemac

18 Mar 2016

I don't know what to think about this Multiband Compressor.
On one side it's UI is very nice and the overall sound seems good.
On the other hand it seems that the crossover filters colour the sound, even when the compressor is off.
It seems, that it didn't pass a null test.

Maybe some experts can test this and give us their opinion. Very intersting would be as well, if it introduce latency?

O1B

18 Mar 2016

4Dyne works just fine. No deep cuts or sharp curves, but very musical. The blue lights are helpful, too.
But Im a RRS fan, so I Gotta try this one.
normen wrote:I personally never liked the sound of 4dyne, it seems completely program INdependent, I was never able to dial in good sounding compression with it. Maybe thats just me not knowing how to handle it though, who knows.

sonicbyte

18 Mar 2016

I have 4dyne and It works fine for me, but how this new multiband compressor compare to it?... its sound better, has better latency or lower cpu usage ??
Thanks

decibel

18 Mar 2016

still waiting for verdicts from some of the more trusted voices here, will be at intro price for another 11 or so days if im not mistaken ? wish they could have created a good demo vid etc

wendylou

18 Mar 2016

riemac wrote:I don't know what to think about this Multiband Compressor.
On the other hand it seems that the crossover filters colour the sound, even when the compressor is off.

Maybe some experts can test this and give us their opinion. Very intersting would be as well, if it introduce latency?
Not sure how you determined it did not pass the null test. In my test, I fed it an audio source, made a parallel channel that included another Multiband Compressor, clicked the invert channel strip button, and absolutely no sound - a perfect null.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

riemac

19 Mar 2016

wendylou wrote:
riemac wrote:I don't know what to think about this Multiband Compressor.

Not sure how you determined it did not pass the null test. In my test, I fed it an audio source, made a parallel channel that included another Multiband Compressor, clicked the invert channel strip button, and absolutely no sound - a perfect null.
You want to make shure that the bandsplitters in the compressor don't change the original signal. So you have to compare the first channel with the compressor with a parallel channel invertet WITHOUT the compressor. And this doesn't null in my test.

I've got the Splex three band compressor from Ben Gold which uses the same method for the bandsplitters and it nulls. So something seems not right with the splitters in the red rock compressor.

MDTerps2015

19 Mar 2016

decibel wrote:still waiting for verdicts from some of the more trusted voices here, will be at intro price for another 11 or so days if im not mistaken ? wish they could have created a good demo vid etc
I second that. Need honest opinions as im trialling it but i have so many compressors already but i like the look of it except the band numbers colors in the bottom. Those colors are weird.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

• Information