Does the GUI matter to you?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Jan 2016

To me it kind of does. I know it shouldn't but if I really hate the look of a RE I just don't want to make music with it.

I can deal with playful and weird for the most part and sometimes I even find it more inspiring to make music when it's not all just grey and safe.
But there's a fine line between playful and butt ugly. If the colors are all wrong, or there are too many colors, or a device looks cluttered it almost gives me a headache to look at. That's when it's a no no for me.

What do you think? Is it all about the sound and functionality?

dvdrtldg

04 Jan 2016

An ugly GUI will make me hesitate before buying/using, but if I like the results, then I won't let visual aesthetics stop me. There are a few REs that I think look hideous, but i still use them all the time. Snakebite, Noxious, REQ 131, Synchronous, Vecto, those terrible yellow Quadelectra CV utilities... ugly as shit but totally great

dioxide

04 Jan 2016

The GUI matters to me. Disclaimer: I am a graphic designer so maybe I am biased, but on the other hand I care about design, function and aesthetics a lot.

There are some REs I have not demoed because of the way they look. Obviously sound and function matter more but a device has to be really good or useful for me to ignore a bad GUI. On the other hand there are REs I have bought that aren't especially convincing from a functionality and sound point of view but I like the overall package. I would guess that an ugly RE needs to be about twice as good for me to want to buy it than an equivalent with a good looking interface. I already have a lot of options when it comes to making music and modifying sound, so I feel like it is a buyers market and I can afford to skip some options. Sometimes the main reason for me not demoing a RE is the way it looks.

Although it sounds shallow, part of the appeal for me with Reason is the visual aspect. I want the REs that I use to hit a PH level standard in their visual quality. In my opinion RE revs are selling themselves short by not putting in effort with the interfaces, although I obviously respect budgetary limitations given that the market for REs isn't as big as for VSTs and AUs. The real problem is that some devs have poor taste and don't recognize the need to get someone else to do the GUI.

Ostermilk

04 Jan 2016

In as much as it impacts on usability but otherwise I don't really give a monkeys about skuemorphism. colourways, textures and the like.

Smooth acting knobs, faders and switches which are clearly labelled and are well-thought out toward quick and easy operation of a device trump slick looks for me every time.

satyr32

04 Jan 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:An ugly GUI will make me hesitate before buying/using, but if I like the results, then I won't let visual aesthetics stop me. There are a few REs that I think look hideous, but i still use them all the time. Snakebite, Noxious, REQ 131, Synchronous, Vecto, those terrible yellow Quadelectra CV utilities... ugly as shit but totally great
Synchronous? But I agree with the others.
For me the design is very important, sometimes I can also accept a mediocre design.

One of the ugliest is SubBoomBass. It is not only the colors, but everthing else, how the knobs are laid out (looks pretty random to me), the typefaces (well, to call them typefaces is an insult to all other typefaces). Worst is its sequencer, you cannot even see the knobs positions. But since the presets are great I use them, but I never made a patch myself with it, I would go crazy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

satyr32

04 Jan 2016

dioxide wrote:The GUI matters to me. Disclaimer: I am a graphic designer so maybe I am biased, but on the other hand I care about design, function and aesthetics a lot.

There are some REs I have not demoed because of the way they look. Obviously sound and function matter more but a device has to be really good or useful for me to ignore a bad GUI. On the other hand there are REs I have bought that aren't especially convincing from a functionality and sound point of view but I like the overall package. I would guess that an ugly RE needs to be about twice as good for me to want to buy it than an equivalent with a good looking interface. I already have a lot of options when it comes to making music and modifying sound, so I feel like it is a buyers market and I can afford to skip some options. Sometimes the main reason for me not demoing a RE is the way it looks.

Although it sounds shallow, part of the appeal for me with Reason is the visual aspect. I want the REs that I use to hit a PH level standard in their visual quality. In my opinion RE revs are selling themselves short by not putting in effort with the interfaces, although I obviously respect budgetary limitations given that the market for REs isn't as big as for VSTs and AUs. The real problem is that some devs have poor taste and don't recognize the need to get someone else to do the GUI.
Absolutely agree. I am graphic designer too. (Obviously also biased)

I think an important point is also the price of the RE. If a solid synth costs 20 Euro I am totally fine with zero design or ugliness. You get what you pay for, I cannot ask for a visual pleasure and I am fine with that. (e.g. https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... ce-creator). But from high-priced devices I expect that skill and money went into the design.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

pjeudy

04 Jan 2016

In my experience the look of a device can Make or Break it...regardless of it's quality!

Make it: a device GUI can literally stop you in your track and make you want to inquire more about it ! Simply on it's looks without hearing a single sound come out of it, that's powerful!
A Good looking UI can even make you think that it's sounds are better then what it actually is! VERY POWERFUL!

Break it: If your just surfing the Shop or any other site, a bad looking device might not even catch your eye! unless your where looking for that device in particular. Then there goes month and years of developing said device :-(
So yea a developer should definitely Look into a Good GUI Artist!

Having said that, yes....there are devices that I didn't like the look of but swear by them today, because they sounded fantastic! But that could be a risky thing for those developers... you want a potential customer to want to look into what they are seeing in front of them, not say Eww...let me move on to the next guys device!
Last edited by pjeudy on 04 Jan 2016, edited 2 times in total.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

dvdrtldg

04 Jan 2016

It's true that some UIs hamper basic functionality. E.g. I love playing with CV, but those purple Hamu things make my head hurt just to look at them. I haven't even trialled them, and it's all down to the presentation (hesitate to diss a developer's hard work but I know other people love them)

MDTerps2015

04 Jan 2016

I can see that MACE topic making its way around the forum. Yes GUI matters to me. DVD you were on the same second MACE topic that popped up. MACE is really not that bad looking, i just think the choice of colors is whats setting off this firestorm. I think yellow and that mustard yellow has always been unappealing. Its here we got it and we have to live with it but i think its good that we talk about it so that developers know that "yellow", "purple", and i guess some color combinations dont do their work justice. I will say it for the last time, that im happy with the MACE and it works wonders for my rack. We will eventually all get over this and developers will eventually get the message. Yes GUI's matter and will for the duration.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Lizard

04 Jan 2016

I've been in situations where I have felt bad for commenting on how a device looks and actually had it preventing me find out that the device was a awesome device. My case in point : Snakebite. Not so attractive IMO but it is a unique and great tool. I never regretted making that purchase and it made me look at the developer's other products.

But quite honestly... GUI is going to affect you. It IS important to me even when I try to make it not be. Anyone that would say anything to the contrary would most likely be lying. I mean... even if when I am forced to buy a family vehicle because it is the most practical (i.e. Minivans etc)... I still look for and buy the coolest looking one available. If when you are dating do you date the coolest and easiest person to talk to first before judging how they look and play to your sensuality as a human being? If people's comments are in contradiction to this.... I question if they are sincere.

However to be the most rounded person you can be you should of course allow both sides (or multiple sides) to present itself before making judgements. This I can speak of openly. I've made out better looking at all things from all angles with my purchases in the recent past and moving forward. But how it appears will always weigh in for me. It has to make me want to produce with it.

Jmax

05 Jan 2016

Yes and no..

Kinda like a women..

E.g. I got Zero and to be honest didn't like the GUI at all. I thought it was done quickly and without any highlights. But now, I absolutely love it, not just for the sound but the simple layout. It just works.

Hydronexius - absolutely beautiful GUI but still doesn't sound as nice as Antidote to me.

Then there's Vecto - I'm happy with the look but feel it could be done better. More highlighting like in the Predator. But the sound is fantastic.

The there's the new MACE compressor. I can't stand the GUI at all. Hate the colors and knobs. But maybe it sounds like no other.

superpop

05 Jan 2016

If REs are tools what to say about guitars?

IMO is the sound :lol:

boobytrap

05 Jan 2016

yes, I'm totally agree for GUI. when I use Renoise I can choose many themes that depends on my mood. also I like so much new FL12 vector made. it's make me feel comfortable. first thing before I buy, see the GUI first. I love also bitwig but case of my GUI terms I quite SO2. coz it's looks like win 98 program
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

Ostermilk

05 Jan 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:It's true that some UIs hamper basic functionality. E.g. I love playing with CV, but those purple Hamu things make my head hurt just to look at them. I haven't even trialled them, and it's all down to the presentation (hesitate to diss a developer's hard work but I know other people love them)
LOL this is a classic example.

I bought the Mod Panel bundle exactly because of how well they work so well with my controller. The fact that they are purple so what?

I applaud Hamu in this case as not only did he use the kitch colours he wanted to use he did a black version for those that were worried about their RE's clashing with their home funishings for some reason and charged extra for them!!!... :D

I can see however, that there is a seemingly clear consensus that states style does indeed triumph over content when it comes to Rack Extensions, all of which I find rather sad.

phasys

05 Jan 2016

Where's Scotty when you need him?

pjeudy

05 Jan 2016

phasys wrote:Where's Scotty when you need him?
Shhhh :shh:
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

MannequinRaces

05 Jan 2016

If the GUI is done well I'll be much more inclined to even bother checking out and learning more about the RE. If the GUI is not done well the sound examples will have to grab me by the throat and knock my socks off... even then that might not be enough.

C//AZM

05 Jan 2016

Sometime with hardware, it's the other way around. an 1176, a pultec or a la2a don't really look great but they're coveted over much more beautiful gear. Here, sound and the way they work trumps all else. Also, retro instruments makes their gear look ugly(for my taste) on purpose. I suspect that many makers decide to make utilitarian looking gear on purpose for the engineery "function over fit" esthetic.

But the opposite can also be true. I remember getting a Focusrite red3 and loving how it worked as well as the sheer beauty of the thing. It's a work of art down to the vent holes. Likewise, Shadow hills makes such georgeous pieces that you have to resist the temptation of buying them just for their looks.
I would say that beyond the reasonable expectation of working very well for a particular purpose, the look of the device does a lot to the buy urge.

Noplan
Competition Winner

05 Jan 2016

Fashion doesn't matter to me.

MDTerps2015

05 Jan 2016

C//AZM wrote:Sometime with hardware, it's the other way around. an 1176, a pultec or a la2a don't really look great but they're coveted over much more beautiful gear. Here, sound and the way they work trumps all else. Also, retro instruments makes their gear look ugly(for my taste) on purpose. I suspect that many makers decide to make utilitarian looking gear on purpose for the engineery "function over fit" esthetic.

But the opposite can also be true. I remember getting a Focusrite red3 and loving how it worked as well as the sheer beauty of the thing. It's a work of art down to the vent holes. Likewise, Shadow hills makes such georgeous pieces that you have to resist the temptation of buying them just for their looks.
I would say that beyond the reasonable expectation of working very well for a particular purpose, the look of the device does a lot to the buy urge.
That said, i have bought RE's with no need for them just because they look good. I have around 120 RE's and use only about 30 -40 of them. More likely the 15 compressors i have or the 10 eqs i have. I have bought synths like Snakebite just because i think it looks cool and have never used it. You are absolutely right about looks giving a person the urge to buy based on looks and that person would be me. Im not mad about anything i bought but a lot of times, if you buy one thing from a developer like Papen or LabONE and love it then (in my case) i continue to support them for their hardwork and hoping they continue to make awesome RE's in the future. I criticized Papens Quad when it first came out but bought because i liked its sound. The MACE is exactly what all Reason users needed and maybe the scrutiny is a little over the top but for the most part i think its constructive criticism. LABONE we love you and appreciate your hard work. KEEP'EM COMING.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

DiZo

05 Jan 2016

but i think RP synths are really ugly (but FX are OK)

dvdrtldg

05 Jan 2016

Ostermilk wrote:
dvdrtldg wrote:It's true that some UIs hamper basic functionality. E.g. I love playing with CV, but those purple Hamu things make my head hurt just to look at them. I haven't even trialled them, and it's all down to the presentation (hesitate to diss a developer's hard work but I know other people love them)
LOL this is a classic example.

I bought the Mod Panel bundle exactly because of how well they work so well with my controller. The fact that they are purple so what?
No you misunderstand me - I couldn't care less about the colour. By "presentation" I don't mean the purple, it's about functionality and the tiny, crowded interface which just looks so user-hostile that I haven't bothered with them

On the other hand, I'm getting a lot of use from PSDN envelope generator, which is just as bad if not worse. So basically ignore whatever I'm saying :lol:

Faastwalker

05 Jan 2016

If it was an important enough device for me to have I wouldn't worry about how it looked or even how it was laid out. On the other hand I really appreciate a well designed GUI and in some cases it's been the difference between a buy and a maybe. I have been guilty of buying devices that I wasn't 100% sold on but was pushed over the edge but the gorgeous GUI. Similarly I've been put off some RE's that sounded interesting but we're really hard to look at and/or use (IMO).

Some examples;

Parsec - looked interesting enough but I wasn't sure I really needed it at the price. Absolutely loved the way it looked in the rack and bought after TRYing for 10 minutes!

Vecto - very interesting looking RE and some amazing sounds. Couldn't stand the overcrowded GUI & itsy-bitsy controls. Put me off and I passed on this one even though I loved the sounds.

decibel

05 Jan 2016

good old first world problems ;) lol

• Information