New RE prices (for all EURO buyers) june 1st

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
pbc278

30 May 2015

Found this post on Facebook yesterday, 
https://www.facebook.com/OchenKREs/post ... 69?fref=nf

I forgot all about it, but it's true...
Heads up that on June 1st, the euro prices for most(all) REs will increase. So if you're thinking of picking one up, this weekend might be a good time.
EURO will be equal to USD from june 1st..

Mixfood Orange will also be 35 EURO, (just like it's 35 USD) this weekend it's still 29 EURO.

So Get It Now for a little less...

Greets from the Netherlands,
Studio Corbach
Bou

----------------------------     
GET MIXFOOD HERE

Dave909

30 May 2015

Damn, well it was fun while it lasted ;)

Tumble

30 May 2015

It's like they want it the format to fail.

ScuzzyEye

30 May 2015

Tumble wrote:It's like they want it the format to fail.
By allowing the developers to charge the same amount of money regardless of if the purchase price was in USD or EUR?

I don't know if you checked the exchange rates recently, but developers have been getting screwed for most of this year. That's how a format fails, if the people building the product aren't getting paid a reasonable share for their work, they'll stop making the product.

Now it seems that Propellerhead is aware that one fixed exchange rate isn't going to work for all of time, hopefully they'll update it a little more often to keep things fair for everyone (I'd assume that Eurozone based developers could lower their prices to keep their devices earning the same for Euro purchases, and give a break to people who use USD).

submonsterz

30 May 2015

yeah just like they did with the euro when the dollar was flying high "not"
lets just make stronger currencies pay more that's all.
ill not be buying no more re`s if this trend carries on . no one gave a flying f**k when some of us moaned back on ph about it when we couldn't get better rates back then for the euro.
hopefully more will see the trend to favour the far side of the water .
that's me done with re`s for what I can see now. :sneaky:

selig
RE Developer

30 May 2015

OR, it's exactly the opposite of what you suggest (see ScuzzyEye's statement above).
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

30 May 2015

submonsterz wrote:yeah just like they did with the euro when the dollar was flying high "not"
ill not be buying no more re`s if this trend carries on . no one gave a flying f**k when some of us moaned back on ph about it when we couldn't get better rates back then for the euro.
That's an odd reason to stop buying a product, just because you lost an artificial advantage? Or would you rather not see the developers get paid the same for each sale? Not following your logic here…
Selig Audio, LLC

ScuzzyEye

30 May 2015

submonsterz wrote:yeah just like they did with the euro when the dollar was flying high "not"
Developers who get paid in Euros can lower their prices (at least if they're above the $9 mark) so they still make the same. Not saying that any one will, but it isn't Propellerhead that's setting the prices, they're only setting the equivalency rates.

EDIT: You can see in my official pricing statement...
ScuzzyEye wrote:I should add one foot note. This is from the perspective of US Dollars. If there are adjustments made for changes in currency values, the dollar amount will be the reference point.
...that I will always keep the dollar amount the same, regardless of which way corrections are made.

pbc278

30 May 2015

In a few weeks we're all used to it... all change hurts ;-)
Greets from the Netherlands,
Studio Corbach
Bou

----------------------------     
GET MIXFOOD HERE

submonsterz

30 May 2015

selig wrote:
That's an odd reason to stop buying a product, just because you lost an artificial advantage? Or would you rather not see the developers get paid the same for each sale? Not following your logic here…
Logic is easy to follow as in unless all prices change as the dollar fluctuates up or down which I cant see happening as no one ever reduced the euro because of the dollar getting stronger before when it did . I see nothing but us over the water constantly paying more as the dollar is up and down sometimes by quite a margin. Why did no one reduce the euro before to be in line with the dollar to be fair .it will be interesting watching the rates to see who does follow and adjust accordingly both ways not just onesidedly as it has been untill the euro weakend.

EnochLight

30 May 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote: By allowing the developers to charge the same amount of money regardless of if the purchase price was in USD or EUR?

I don't know if you checked the exchange rates recently, but developers have been getting screwed for most of this year. That's how a format fails, if the people building the product aren't getting paid a reasonable share for their work, they'll stop making the product.

Now it seems that Propellerhead is aware that one fixed exchange rate isn't going to work for all of time, hopefully they'll update it a little more often to keep things fair for everyone (I'd assume that Eurozone based developers could lower their prices to keep their devices earning the same for Euro purchases, and give a break to people who use USD).
Well said.

Frankly, I'm surprised this didn't happen earlier. If I were a EU-based dev, I would have wanted this change a long time ago. I also hope the rates are updated more often. Definitely needs to happen.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Tincture

30 May 2015

US dollars don't pay VAT. Euros do. So we (Euro payers) get screwed as the Euro loses against the dollar (due to developers getting x.y % less due to VAT). So I can see the reason for developers paid in Euros. But for me, a Euro based customer my prices just went up 20.7% !!

Fuck that.

frog974new

30 May 2015

selig wrote:
Be carefull ^^
a consummer happy always follow a company/dev , a consummer hungry leave off .

on the video game market , many Dev and company have done this 1$=1€ ( EA , Sony , Microsoft ) , just see all the badbuzz for those companys ( specialy EA with their store ) ..
Indeed dev need money but ...

so what'll happen , like as the video game market , consummers just won't pay with Euro and use all paiement in dollars , finally Dev just create badbuzz and don't earn any more sell in Euro

ScuzzyEye

30 May 2015

frog974new wrote:on the video game market , many Dev and company have done this 1$=1€ ( EA , Sony , Microsoft ) , just see all the badbuzz for those companys ( specialy EA with their store ) ..

so what'll happen , like as the video game market , consummers just won't pay with Euro and use all paiement in dollars , finally Dev just create badbuzz and don't earn any more sell in Euro
Right now $1.00 ≈ 0.92€, so they might as well be equal. Last year I could see people complaining about companies treating them as equal, but the Euro was much stronger then (or the Dollar was weaker—it's difficult to directly compare to volatile values). So go ahead, and create a US account on Prop's site, and pay in USD. You'll be paying the same amount, and the developer will be making more, because tax isn't included in the USD price.

frog974new

30 May 2015

frog974new wrote:on the video game market , many Dev and company have done this 1$=1€ ( EA , Sony , Microsoft ) , just see all the badbuzz for those companys ( specialy EA with their store ) ..

ScuzzyEye wrote: Right now $1.00 ≈ 0.92€, so they might as well be equal. Last year I could see people complaining about companies treating them as equal, but the Euro was much stronger then (or the Dollar was weaker—it's difficult to directly compare to volatile values). So go ahead, and create a US account on Prop's site, and pay in USD. You'll be paying the same amount, and the developer will be making more, because tax isn't included in the USD price.
and in a few couple of weeks , when 1$ will be above 0, 70€ .. do you change your price again 8-)
i understand your logic , but as i said dont think as a dev when you're selling a product but as a consummer and the "image" of your company .

may be you'll take more cash for a couple of days but finally you may lost your fanbase just for 2 ou 5 dollars during 2 or 3 months.
consummers always :x by price grow up , price changing xxx times ...

the risk ..? consummers only by the products when there's a big discount ( e.g.. steam , 60% CA done during the discount period ) and finally dev loss more money

ScuzzyEye

31 May 2015

frog974new wrote:and in a few couple of weeks , when 1$ will be above 0, 70€ .. do you change your price again 8-)
Yes. If I had my way, the exchange rate would be calculated at the time of purchase, but that's not possible with the RE shop. I, and other developers, will push for more frequent updates to the pricing, so it doesn't get as far out of balance as it did before this first change.

And I don't think we're going to see $1 to 0.70€ again any time soon. It's in the interest of the governments to keep the two in parity with each other.

Juan Rosa

31 May 2015

This is bad! :/

Hydrosonic

31 May 2015

So PayPal doesn't actually do this for them?

avasopht
Competition Winner

31 May 2015

Google "pricing psychology," that may have something to do with this.

steff3

31 May 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote: Right now $1.00 ≈ 0.92€, so they might as well be equal. Last year I could see people complaining about companies treating them as equal, but the Euro was much stronger then (or the Dollar was weaker—it's difficult to directly compare to volatile values). So go ahead, and create a US account on Prop's site, and pay in USD. You'll be paying the same amount, and the developer will be making more, because tax isn't included in the USD price.
frog974new wrote:
and in a few couple of weeks , when 1$ will be above 0, 70€ .. do you change your price again 8-)
i understand your logic , but as i said dont think as a dev when you're selling a product but as a consummer and the "image" of your company .

may be you'll take more cash for a couple of days but finally you may lost your fanbase just for 2 ou 5 dollars during 2 or 3 months.
consummers always :x by price grow up , price changing xxx times ...

the risk ..? consummers only by the products when there's a big discount ( e.g.. steam , 60% CA done during the discount period ) and finally dev loss more money
(I am European) - if you are European it seems quite strange to me to blame PH or developers. The reason for that lies somewhere between the European Central Bank, their policy, European economies totally oriented towards the export of their products, etc.
Of course it is not nice for us as consumers .... but that is not the fault of PH or the developers, who want to get payed correctly for their work.

So, if you want to blame someone, blame those who are somehow reasonable.

best

ScuzzyEye

31 May 2015

Hydrosonic wrote:So PayPal doesn't actually do this for them?
No, because they don't use PayPal for all transactions. They handle credit card billing themselves.

craven

31 May 2015

avasopht wrote:Google "pricing psychology," that may have something to do with this.
then prices should have been adopted much ealier in smaller increments, according to this:
Tactic 26: Use More Frequent (Yet Smaller) Price Increases
The easiest way to control price perception is through the just noticeable difference (JND).
Just Noticeable Difference – The minimum amount of change that triggers detection (i.e., the difference that’s just noticeable)
If your price is $11.79, an increase to $14.99 will be more noticeable than a smaller increase to $12.99.
Duh.
In theory, that concept is really intuitive. Obviously people will notice larger price increases.
In practice, however, that principle is very counter-intuitive. Since businesses are afraid of increasing their prices, they often save that tactic as a last resort. They wait until it’s absolutely necessary to do it.
However, if you reach that point, then you’ll usually be desperate for revenue. You won’t be able to increase your price by a tiny amount. You’ll need to increase it by a noticeable amount.
What should you do?
If you know that you’ll need to increase your price eventually, you should use more frequent (yet smaller) changes. Avoid waiting until the moment of desperation.
With more frequent price increases, you also avoid reinforcing a concrete reference price. If your price stays the same for years, then people will become accustomed to your price at that specific level. Once you change your price, people will be more likely to notice.
:ugeek:

muffins4all

31 May 2015

or want more European customers to wait for sales ;)

avasopht
Competition Winner

31 May 2015

The problem they have craven is that it's not an explicit price increase but policy change which is difficult to integrate in steps.

Personally I'd market it as $=€ BUT with a Euro discount bringing the price back to something comparable. That way you get the accustomed price as well as discount buying behaviour (though it makes it difficult to make real discounts noticeable).

I'm sure that idea can be improved upon though

craven

31 May 2015

avasopht wrote:The problem they have craven is that it's not an explicit price increase but policy change which is difficult to integrate in steps.
but does this new policy come out of nowhere? I hate these new regulations, also the preceding tax thing was a mess. 

I should get a decent income to afford all these nice toys.
:ugeek:

• Information