Expanse 1.1 Update in the Shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Breach The Sky

11 Dec 2016

Mysterygrimms wrote:
Breach The Sky wrote: I also noticed that some people will not take reason-exclusive synths seriously and will only get exited when a "real" plugin like Spire is on the horizon. It makes me salty.
This is pretty sad and I agree. Reason is such a great piece of software to be creative and get your musical ideas down and into a sequencer fast!!! And I completely fell in love with reason.. ever since the release of Thor. The legend and Antidote are also fantastic synths as well.

It's a shame that Reason gets such a bad stigma, for practically being the only daw that doesn't support Vst's. I personally love the RE system though. Hopefully one day Reason will get the true respect it deserves.... I'll be honest, I cannot wait for RESpire though.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk
Yes, I to really look forward to ReSpire, it's an excellent synth. Might even bring some people to the platform, who knows.

Mysterygrimms

11 Dec 2016

Breach The Sky wrote:
Mysterygrimms wrote:
Breach The Sky wrote: I also noticed that some people will not take reason-exclusive synths seriously and will only get exited when a "real" plugin like Spire is on the horizon. It makes me salty.
This is pretty sad and I agree. Reason is such a great piece of software to be creative and get your musical ideas down and into a sequencer fast!!! And I completely fell in love with reason.. ever since the release of Thor. The legend and Antidote are also fantastic synths as well.

It's a shame that Reason gets such a bad stigma, for practically being the only daw that doesn't support Vst's. I personally love the RE system though. Hopefully one day Reason will get the true respect it deserves.... I'll be honest, I cannot wait for RESpire though.

Yes, I to really look forward to ReSpire, it's an excellent synth. Might even bring some people to the platform, who knows.
Definitely. We all hope for some vast development and improvement in the SDK as well, so Reason can truly take off!

miscend

11 Dec 2016

I would be very surprised if ReSpire sounds better than Expanse imho. Because of all the excitement on this forum I downloaded the Spire AU demo and honestly it doesn't break any new ground, sound wise it is just really solid synth but doesn't live up to the all hype. I'm actually failing to understand how Spire became so popular. Once the excitement of having a new synth to play with dies down people will soon realise our own homegrown RE's are just as good as the best VSTs.

EnochLight

11 Dec 2016

miscend wrote:I would be very surprised if ReSpire sounds better than Expanse imho. Because of all the excitement on this forum I downloaded the Spire AU demo and honestly it doesn't break any new ground, sound wise it is just really solid synth but doesn't live up to the all hype. I'm actually failing to understand how Spire became so popular. Once the excitement of having a new synth to play with dies down people will soon realise our own homegrown RE's are just as good as the best VSTs.
Spire became so popular for a few reasons.. for starters, when it released - it had one of the easiest programmable UX/GUI's to come a long in quite some time. It sounded balls-out fantastic (and still does). It gets constant patch libraries added to it (for a price). And it gets frequent updates (like several a year, at least - many of which add new features). It still ranks in the top 10 synth plugins, and has since it hit the market 3 & 1/2 years ago. The dual-stepper is unique and a blast.

Granted, what Blamsoft/eXode has done with Expanse is truly remarkable, and really does meet a good majority of the things Spire brings to the table, so.. there's that... :puf_bigsmile: But Expanse is still missing some features that Spire brings (the dual-stepper, Hard FM mode oscillator, skins - though that's Reason/RE's fault - 4 LFO's versus Expanse's 3 LFO's, 15x Matrix slots each of equipped with 2x sources and 4x targets, a *BUILT-IN* Multiband Compressor, etc).

It should be noted, Spire didn't even get an arp until 4 months after it released, and took 3 & 1/2 years to reach 700 factory presets included (Expanse already has 775, and I'm not sure if that even includes the 100 that were just added)! I'm hoping more features are added to Expanse to keep making it even more amazing, but out of the gate - it really does already a lot of what Spire can do.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

miscend

11 Dec 2016

Listen to this

jayhosking

11 Dec 2016

Sorry to be late to the party, but I'm just trying this now (after seeing miscend's video^ in another thread). Couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know if they're adding bitcrushing to the effects chain at a later point? I know I can send the dry audio into another RE (e.g. Decimort) and then run it into a second eXpanse to get the effects chain, but it kind of takes away the "in the box" advantage of using this synth if I have to chain two of them together.

2. Am I right that there's no drop-down menu for the waves? I can get a drop-down menu for the source/destination for the mod matrix, for example, but I can't seem to get one for the different waves in the oscillator. If I'm right, does anyone know if they're going to add this feature later? It's nice to have so many wave varieties, but if I can't pop up a list and see them quickly, it's much less likely I'll branch beyond the first few available if I'm working quickly.
Last edited by jayhosking on 11 Dec 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Breach The Sky

11 Dec 2016

I actually think that the oscillators in Expanse is better, the range of tones you can get out of it just staggering. The possibility of adding harmonics post or pre modulators is also very useful. The possibility to freely arrange the effects... Expanse doesn't have every feature Spire has. But Spire lacks some that Expanse do have.

And oh, don't forget the CV!

VHS

11 Dec 2016

jayhosking wrote:
1. Does anyone know if they're adding bitcrushing to the effects chain at a later point? I know I can send the dry audio into another RE (e.g. Decimort) and then run it into a second eXpanse to get the effects chain, but it kind of takes away the "in the box" advantage of using this synth if I have to chain two of them together.

2. Am I right that there's no drop-down menu for the waves? I can get a drop-down menu for the source/destination for the mod matrix, for example, but I can't seem to get one for the different waves in the oscillator. If I'm right, does anyone know if they're going to add this feature later? It's nice to have so many wave varieties, but if I can't pop up a list and see them quickly, it's much less likely I'll branch beyond the first few available if I'm working quickly.

1. I didn't watch the video, but you can add bit depth reduction (quant) and sample rate reduction (dec) in either the mods section or the distortion effect section of expanse, might not be as good as decimort (haven't tried it).

2.I'm sure they would love to have drop downs for wavetables, but it seems they aren't able to at this time due to SDK restrictions. Might come later, might not :(

Also, as insanely awesome as expanse is, I have a request for Blamsoft/Exode....PEAK FILTERS. Been using the EQ mid paramater, it's not the same. You have a distortion unit, I need peaks to feed it. Please.

ps, the reso filters are great, but I just want a single peak.

jayhosking

11 Dec 2016

Thanks for the quick reply, VHS! I'll take a look at those distortion types and see if I can get the sound I'm looking for. Having fun playing with this thing.
VHS wrote: 2.I'm sure they would love to have drop downs for wavetables, but it seems they aren't able to at this time due to SDK restrictions. Might come later, might not :(
That's strange. Solaris has the drop-down feature for wavetables, and I find it helps for quickly selecting a starting point, as well as that "huh, never tried that" factor. Here's hoping it's something they add.

VHS

11 Dec 2016

jayhosking wrote:Thanks for the quick reply, VHS! I'll take a look at those distortion types and see if I can get the sound I'm looking for. Having fun playing with this thing.
VHS wrote: 2.I'm sure they would love to have drop downs for wavetables, but it seems they aren't able to at this time due to SDK restrictions. Might come later, might not :(
That's strange. Solaris has the drop-down feature for wavetables, and I find it helps for quickly selecting a starting point, as well as that "huh, never tried that" factor. Here's hoping it's something they add.
I think it has something to do with the custom displays for the waveforms, like they had to forgo drop downs so we could see the waveforms in real time. The RE SDK is a mysterious beast it seems.

fieldframe
RE Developer

11 Dec 2016

VHS wrote:
jayhosking wrote:Thanks for the quick reply, VHS! I'll take a look at those distortion types and see if I can get the sound I'm looking for. Having fun playing with this thing.
I think it has something to do with the custom displays for the waveforms, like they had to forgo drop downs so we could see the waveforms in real time. The RE SDK is a mysterious beast it seems.
The custom waveform displays aren't the sticking point with the SDK; it's the fact that everything in Expanse's oscillator section has to do double duty (or rather quad duty). There's no way right now in the SDK for a drop-down to remember which wavetable was selected when you switch between oscillators. Solaris can have drop-downs right now because all its slots are laid out separately; if Expanse showed the entire oscillator row four times, it could have drop-downs in the current SDK (although then it would be too big for the limit of 9U!).

jayhosking

11 Dec 2016

Thanks for the explanation, fieldframe. I take it from what you said, then, that oscillator drop-downs aren't in the cards for the future of eXpanse. Anybody out there made a handy cheatsheet of the oscillator wavetables so that at least I can look at a pdf (or paper)? Wait, I'll check the manual first... nope, though it was great to see a comprehensive list of what the mods are.

joeyluck

11 Dec 2016

jayhosking wrote:Thanks for the explanation, fieldframe. I take it from what you said, then, that oscillator drop-downs aren't in the cards for the future of eXpanse. Anybody out there made a handy cheatsheet of the oscillator wavetables so that at least I can look at a pdf (or paper)? Wait, I'll check the manual first... nope, though it was great to see a comprehensive list of what the mods are.
Matt (JiggeryPokery) made this: viewtopic.php?p=280961#p280961

jayhosking

12 Dec 2016

joeyluck wrote:Matt (JiggeryPokery) made this: viewtopic.php?p=280961#p280961
Beauty! This is perfect. Thanks, Matt and Joey! Really appreciated.

eXode

12 Dec 2016

Here's a PDF with a list of all the wavetables in Expanse 1.1. :)
Tables.pdf
(37.29 KiB) Downloaded 107 times

jayhosking

12 Dec 2016

Thanks so much! I've been tinkering with this synth for a day and I'm pretty impressed with its versatility. This will make me more likely to dig into the different wavetables.

svenh

12 Dec 2016

eXode wrote:Here's a PDF with a list of all the wavetables in Expanse 1.1. :)

Tables.pdf
Thanks for taking the time eXode!

eusti

23 Dec 2016

Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 14.58.14.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 14.58.14.png (558.89 KiB) Viewed 2050 times
Has the this (KDB vs KBD) been fixed so far?

D.

• Information