Expanse 1.1 Update in the Shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mind2069

19 Nov 2016

eXode wrote:
mind2069 wrote:With a synth like expanse, if you would add oscillators and filters like the ones in Legend or any legendary synth, could you basically get the same sound (or near), meaning without the effects. by adding waveforms and filters coupled with the versality of the oscillators on expanse, can you come close to many synths.

Being french, I hope I formulated that question well.
I'm not sure if I understand your question completely, but Expanse does a good job of approximating several classic synthesizers by using the included waveforms (1. Basic Analog, 2. Basic PWM, and 50. Viking in particular) and the various filters.

The S-K (Sallen-Key) filters are based on the filters found in the Korg MS20
The SVF (State Variable) filters are based on the filters found in the Oberheim SEM (L P12, BP 6, and HP 12 in particular)
The LD (Ladder) filters are based on the filters found in the Moog synthesizers (LD LP 24 in particular)

I hope this helps! :)
I know it does it well but what I mean is that with 4 osc, and many parameters to modify them, any synth would would want to emulate, would it be just basically adding the waveform and filter. I mean everybody rave about the legend, but other than the osc and filter, what prevents Expanse souding just like The legend. If the synth does not have any effects on.

miscend

19 Nov 2016

mind2069 wrote:
eXode wrote:
mind2069 wrote:With a synth like expanse, if you would add oscillators and filters like the ones in Legend or any legendary synth, could you basically get the same sound (or near), meaning without the effects. by adding waveforms and filters coupled with the versality of the oscillators on expanse, can you come close to many synths.

I'm not sure if I understand your question completely, but Expanse does a good job of approximating several classic synthesizers by using the included waveforms (1. Basic Analog, 2. Basic PWM, and 50. Viking in particular) and the various filters.

The SVF (State Variable) filters are based on the filters found in the Oberheim SEM (L P12, BP 6, and HP 12 in particular)
The LD (Ladder) filters are based on the filters found in the Moog synthesizers (LD LP 24 in particular)

I know it does it well but what I mean is that with 4 osc, and many parameters to modify them, any synth would would want to emulate, would it be just basically adding the waveform and filter. I mean everybody rave about the legend, but other than the osc and filter, what prevents Expanse souding just like The legend. If the synth does not have any effects on.
Just because synths have the same waveforms doesn't mean they will sound the same. Different synths have different sound characters.

alex

20 Nov 2016

Hi all, here's a new video tutorial on how to create a couple of thick reese bass sounds using eXpanse 1.1 with the new oscillator modifiers like "sine" and "out":
https://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7497677

This synth gives hours of fun! :)
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

mind2069

20 Nov 2016

miscend wrote:
mind2069 wrote:
eXode wrote:

Just because synths have the same waveforms doesn't mean they will sound the same. Different synths have different sound characters.
Beside the waveform and filter, what gives a synth character (without effects or course) or do they have "hidden" built in effects

miscend

20 Nov 2016

mind2069 wrote:
miscend wrote:
mind2069 wrote:
eXode wrote:

Beside the waveform and filter, what gives a synth character (without effects or course) or do they have "hidden" built in effects
The entire signal path does. Even the shape of the envelopes will make one synth different from another. The sound character of a synth is largely determined by the choices of implementation made by the designer. You can recreate sounds from the Legend, very easily with Expanse, but the character will not be exactly the same.

bpmorton

21 Nov 2016

I have not trialed this yet but looks like something I would part cash for. Just waiting for some free time where I can try it out.

theshoemaker

22 Nov 2016

Creating quality patches is really enjoyable with this synth. Is it possible to also create Properties of all the Seq and CC section within a combinator?
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

eXode

22 Nov 2016

theshoemaker wrote:Creating quality patches is really enjoyable with this synth. Is it possible to also create Properties of all the Seq and CC section within a combinator?
It's possible, but there's a limited amount of properties available for regular automation (not to be confused with Remote control), which means that we would need to remove some other existing automation properties to make room for the sequencer and CC section. We will not do that. :)

theshoemaker

22 Nov 2016

Ah... didn't know about the limitation while looking at the SDK. Now it makes sense why not all properties are automatable
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

alex

23 Nov 2016

Dear eXode and Blamsoft,

thank you for this amazing update! :thumbs_up:

Speaking about possible future features request, I was wondering if it is possible to add "FM from OSCx" as modifier, where OSCx is one of the 4 oscillators.
As far as I understand (but please correct me if I'm wrong) the FM modifier currently available uses a Sine wave as modulator but sometimes I think it could be useful to have a triangle (for example) or a more complex waveform as modulator. What do you think about that? :puf_smile:
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

eXode

23 Nov 2016

alex wrote:Dear eXode and Blamsoft,

thank you for this amazing update! :thumbs_up:

Speaking about possible future features request, I was wondering if it is possible to add "FM from OSCx" as modifier, where OSCx is one of the 4 oscillators.
As far as I understand (but please correct me if I'm wrong) the FM modifier currently available uses a Sine wave as modulator but sometimes I think it could be useful to have a triangle (for example) or a more complex waveform as modulator. What do you think about that? :puf_smile:
Audio rate modulation of the oscillators would fry your CPU. :P

We've actually discussed it before, and it will not be implemented for the time being. :)

stratatonic

26 Nov 2016

Great update.

A couple of things:
Was having trouble accessing the Filter dropdown menu, until I finally realized that the arrow box is offset somewhat. If you click halfway (and lower) in the box the dropdown will not show.

Pretty sure the answer is no, because of the signal path image on the backside, but is there any way to put external audio through the filters using the mod section somehow? I don't see it, but maybe I'm missing something.
eXode wrote:
Michaellos wrote: Is it possible to make pop-up menues for wavrforms, or it is all about sdk limitations?
It's not possible with either wavetables, mods or tuning. Sorry.
Is it possible to have dropdown/pop-up menus for OSC ONE only?

That would help in visualizing what is available in the synth, and then you could just copy and paste OSC 1 settings into the other Oscs if you still needed the dropdowns.

eXode

26 Nov 2016

stratatonic wrote:Great update.

A couple of things:
Was having trouble accessing the Filter dropdown menu, until I finally realized that the arrow box is offset somewhat. If you click halfway (and lower) in the box the dropdown will not show.

Ok, noted. I'll report it.
stratatonic wrote:Pretty sure the answer is no, because of the signal path image on the backside, but is there any way to put external audio through the filters using the mod section somehow? I don't see it, but maybe I'm missing something.
No, it's not possible at the moment.
stratatonic wrote:Is it possible to have dropdown/pop-up menus for OSC ONE only?

That would help in visualizing what is available in the synth, and then you could just copy and paste OSC 1 settings into the other Oscs if you still needed the dropdowns.
No, sorry.

stratatonic

28 Nov 2016

eXode wrote:
stratatonic wrote:Pretty sure the answer is no, because of the signal path image on the backside, but is there any way to put external audio through the filters using the mod section somehow? I don't see it, but maybe I'm missing something.
"at the moment"...so this is something that is being considered in a future update?

Creativemind

28 Nov 2016

We could do with a video showing the new features ;-)
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

eXode

28 Nov 2016

stratatonic wrote:
eXode wrote:
"at the moment"...so this is something that is being considered in a future update?
Not really, no. :)
Creativemind wrote:We could do with a video showing the new features ;-)
What a coincidence! Speo has done a tutorial that also showcases some of the new features in 1.1 ;)

stratatonic

10 Dec 2016

eXode wrote:
stratatonic wrote:Great update.

A couple of things:

Ok, noted. I'll report it.
Looks like the new 1.1.1 update fixed that.
Thanks. :)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

10 Dec 2016

I can't believe Expanse only has a 4 star rating in the shop. I mean what more do people want from the synth?
If this isn't a 5 star RE I honestly don't know what is.
The only possible downsides to the synth I can think of is the CPU usage or the "expensive" price. Both are easily justified by the quality and depth it offers.

EnochLight

10 Dec 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:I can't believe Expanse only has a 4 star rating in the shop. I mean what more do people want from the synth?
If this isn't a 5 star RE I honestly don't know what is.
The only possible downsides to the synth I can think of is the CPU usage or the "expensive" price. Both are easily justified by the quality and depth it offers.
Agreed. There is absolutely no reason why this shouldn't be rated 5-stars, solid through and through. I'll bet the farm it was the cheapskates and users of old hardware who rated it anything less than 5.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

dvdrtldg

10 Dec 2016

I don't get the importance of the star rating system - it's easily gamed, and so is virtually meaningless right?

Mysterygrimms

10 Dec 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:I don't get the importance of the star rating system - it's easily gamed, and so is virtually meaningless right?
You can say "it's easily gamed" all you want dvdrtldg (which may be the case). Unfortunately, a large segment of people (including myself) rely on the rating system, when it comes to making purchase decisions. So I definitely can understand Tritoneaddictions frustration with Expanse having 4 instead of 5 stars. Unfortunately... I also agree, some people give lower ratings out of spite, design, UI choices and other stuff including prices of an RE etc...

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

fieldframe
RE Developer

11 Dec 2016

Mysterygrimms wrote:some people give lower ratings out of spite, design, UI choices and other stuff including prices of an RE etc...
Only one of these is an invalid consideration to weigh when rating a product.
Last edited by fieldframe on 11 Dec 2016, edited 1 time in total.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

11 Dec 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:I don't get the importance of the star rating system - it's easily gamed, and so is virtually meaningless right?
Well it's not that important imo. I just found it interesting and kind of sad actually.
I never really base my purchases on the ratings, at least I'd like to thinks so, but who knows how it affects me (and everyone else) subconsciously.

It's just that Expanse is like the biggest synth for Reason coming out in a long time and it's so well done. To me it feels like the developers really made an effort to make the best synth they possibly could for us Reason users. They set a new standard with this one.

Oh well can't please everyone I guess. Maybe someone wanted it as a free download for being a long time loyal Reason user or something. :lol: Who knows?

Breach The Sky

11 Dec 2016

A few extensions that previously was rated 5 stars (like Vecto, Zero and FM4) is now rated 4 stars and all att the same time. Disgruntled black friday buyers? Change in the rating system? Kuassa's new effects appeared in the shop whit a rating of 3, which is a bit weird. Unless someone hit 3 stars faster than light...
I also noticed that some people will not take reason-exclusive synths seriously and will only get exited when a "real" plugin like Spire is on the horizon. It makes me salty.

Mysterygrimms

11 Dec 2016

Breach The Sky wrote: I also noticed that some people will not take reason-exclusive synths seriously and will only get exited when a "real" plugin like Spire is on the horizon. It makes me salty.
This is pretty sad and I agree. Reason is such a great piece of software to be creative and get your musical ideas down and into a sequencer fast!!! And I completely fell in love with reason.. ever since the release of Thor. The legend and Antidote are also fantastic synths as well.

It's a shame that Reason gets such a bad stigma, for practically being the only daw that doesn't support Vst's. I personally love the RE system though. Hopefully one day Reason will get the true respect it deserves.... I'll be honest, I cannot wait for RESpire though.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

• Information