Radical Piano vs Reason Piano"s...Which is better?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mreese80

07 Mar 2017

I was browsing youtube videos today and came across radical pianos. I know it's been out but i never paid it no mind. It sounded pretty good. How do you guys rate it or compare it to reason pianos?

Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

sonicbyte

07 Mar 2017

Hi,

I have Reason Pianos refill and Radical Piano RE. Both are great, however the RE are more versatile in my opinion, for instance, you can use the sustain pedal in between on/off stages (like a real piano), or you can make external audio (like a voice) to be feed into Radical Piano modelling core to "resonate" with it and that will give you lots of crazy possibilities, among other things the refill can't do.

Regards

mreese80

07 Mar 2017

sonicbyte wrote:Hi,

I have Reason Pianos refill and Radical Piano RE. Both are great, however the RE are more versatile in my opinion, for instance, you can use the sustain pedal in between on/off stages (like a real piano), or you can make external audio (like a voice) to be feed into Radical Piano modelling core to "resonate" with it and that will give you lots of crazy possibilities, among other things the refill can't do.

Regards
It really sounds good. For some reason i thought it would sound like a damn toy so i never gave it a listen.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

PGR

07 Mar 2017

I prefer Radical Piano Re for the feel when playing but Reason Piano Refill for the sound. If that makes sense?

But there is still room for more and better pianos for Reason.

riemac

07 Mar 2017

If you are searching for a good dance piano, the F9 piano is the best.

mreese80

07 Mar 2017

PGR wrote:I prefer Radical Piano Re for the feel when playing but Reason Piano Refill for the sound. If that makes sense?

But there is still room for more and better pianos for Reason.

You think the reason pianos's have a more realistic sound?

miscend

07 Mar 2017

Reason Pianos sounds quite a bit more realistic. Radical Piano doesn't quite sound 100% authentic.

mreese80

07 Mar 2017

miscend wrote:Reason Pianos sounds quite a bit more realistic. Radical Piano doesn't quite sound 100% authentic.
I truly believe there is something about those wave samples. I prefer refill's over rack extensions. Thank you for your info.

Olivier

07 Mar 2017

RadPi may not sound as authentic as some sample based piano's, but as a piano player i enjoy RadPi far more then Reason Piano's because it reacts much more natural to dynamic playing and is therefor for me the more musical of the two.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

kuhliloach

07 Mar 2017

I really like Radical Piano with the Roland DP-10 pedal assigned to the Sustain function for being smooth and gradual. I have the DP-10 plugged into the Volume port on an M-Audio 88es, then mapped properly in Reason. I had my eye on Radical Piano for a year or more, then finally bought it when it went on sale / bundle. Radical Piano is a piano monster that can do wild and crazy things. Even on sale Radical Piano remains one of the most expensive pieces of software I have ever purchased.

The Refill is a traditional style in-the-box piano that does sound amazing, but the Rack Extension is all about the user interface.

They did a great job on the "noise" in Radical Piano. Very convincing. It fakes me out.

What I don't understand is the insane cost of these pianos. They must think we are rich. It remains unclear to me why a typical iOS piano is so much more affordable than a Reason piano. Korg's Module for example, or IK's Grands. Is there something incredibly costly about developing a Reason piano that would make them charge so much? Is someone trying to get rich from selling software pianos? There are plenty of ways to bring iOS piano tracks into Reason. You could potentially afford 2 iOS pianos, Audiobus, and Audioshare for less than half the cost of one of these Reason pianos. Probably a few dinners too. Add an iPad MIDI adapter and the total cost is still below one single Reason piano.

Gulale

07 Mar 2017

I will go with Reason Piano Refill all day every day. Radical doesn't sound natural to me.
Gulale aka Bereket

QVprod

07 Mar 2017

If you want authentic and natural sound, go for the refill. Not because it's a refill, but because Radical is a modeled piano (with some sampling) and quite honestly not a very impressive one.

Radical is better for tweaking the sound into anything that isn't authentic though. It's more like a piano synth.

However, as I say in all threads with this comparison (it seems to come up a few times a year lol), There are considerably better piano options outside of Reason. Recently got Arturia Piano V with a Keylab 88 purchase. For a modeled piano, it's very impressive.

Ottostrom

08 Mar 2017

kuhliloach wrote:I really like Radical Piano with the Roland DP-10 pedal assigned to the Sustain function for being smooth and gradual. I have the DP-10 plugged into the Volume port on an M-Audio 88es, then mapped properly in Reason.
I was thinking about getting a Roland DP-10, but I'm afraid that it's the wrong polarity for my keyboard.
Does the pedal have a lot of sound when you press it down or let it up?

mreese80

08 Mar 2017

kuhliloach wrote:I really like Radical Piano with the Roland DP-10 pedal assigned to the Sustain function for being smooth and gradual. I have the DP-10 plugged into the Volume port on an M-Audio 88es, then mapped properly in Reason. I had my eye on Radical Piano for a year or more, then finally bought it when it went on sale / bundle. Radical Piano is a piano monster that can do wild and crazy things. Even on sale Radical Piano remains one of the most expensive pieces of software I have ever purchased.

The Refill is a traditional style in-the-box piano that does sound amazing, but the Rack Extension is all about the user interface.

They did a great job on the "noise" in Radical Piano. Very convincing. It fakes me out.

What I don't understand is the insane cost of these pianos. They must think we are rich. It remains unclear to me why a typical iOS piano is so much more affordable than a Reason piano. Korg's Module for example, or IK's Grands. Is there something incredibly costly about developing a Reason piano that would make them charge so much? Is someone trying to get rich from selling software pianos? There are plenty of ways to bring iOS piano tracks into Reason. You could potentially afford 2 iOS pianos, Audiobus, and Audioshare for less than half the cost of one of these Reason pianos. Probably a few dinners too. Add an iPad MIDI adapter and the total cost is still below one single Reason piano.
Everything imo is expensive when it comes to Reason. We have to pay to notch for reason devices. We have to pay for every damn upgrade. Other daws i have like akai, fl studio, ect have free updates. Now with the new akai software 2.0 that is going to be released we may have to pay for that one. How much yet still isnt known. I really don't mind paying for a new version update of reason as long as it's worth it. As far as devices i don't buy. I have way to many vsts and kontakt libraries. i just bounce the audio and drag into reason. I just love the work flow of reason and the sequencer is unbeatable. This is the closest we'll get real hardware in a software world. I take that back. I'll buy fx devices.

mreese80

08 Mar 2017

joeyluck wrote:I have them both and like them both! Although, Abbey Road Keyboards is my favorite :)

I bet you like those Mrs. Chills Piano's dont'cha lol.

joeyluck

08 Mar 2017

mreese80 wrote:
joeyluck wrote:I have them both and like them both! Although, Abbey Road Keyboards is my favorite :)

I bet you like those Mrs. Chills Piano's dont'cha lol.
I do like the Mrs. Mills! But it's actually the Challen that I prefer :D

PGR

08 Mar 2017

Yes, lots of character , like this old Refill from Sonic Flavours Home Piano:

http://www.sonicflavours.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=60

Ottostrom

09 Mar 2017

PGR wrote:
Yes, lots of character , like this old Refill from Sonic Flavours Home Piano:

http://www.sonicflavours.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=60
Oh my, those demos sound exactly like what I'm looking for! Thank you for sharing :)

miscend

09 Mar 2017

mreese80 wrote:
miscend wrote:Reason Pianos sounds quite a bit more realistic. Radical Piano doesn't quite sound 100% authentic.
I truly believe there is something about those wave samples. I prefer refill's over rack extensions. Thank you for your info.
There's a few other piano options. This refill is also good and the price is not bad.
https://www.esoundz.com/sounds/alan-par ... /5248.html

And this is one of the better freeware ones! But you have to convert it to soundfont format to play it in Reason. You can PM me for assistance.
http://sonimusicae.free.fr/matshelgesso ... ro-en.html

mreese80

09 Mar 2017

miscend wrote:
mreese80 wrote:
There's a few other piano options. This refill is also good and the price is not bad.
https://www.esoundz.com/sounds/alan-par ... /5248.html

And this is one of the better freeware ones! But you have to convert it to soundfont format to play it in Reason. You can PM me for assistance.
http://sonimusicae.free.fr/matshelgesso ... ro-en.html
I have the maestreo grando. I converted that one a long time ago. it's in a giga format if i remember right.

jutty P

09 Mar 2017

I actually really like Emotional Piano by Soundiron. I've tried them all but that one just has something special. Fits my style. Give it a try.

mreese80

09 Mar 2017

jutty P wrote:I actually really like Emotional Piano by Soundiron. I've tried them all but that one just has something special. Fits my style. Give it a try.
Wow. I must say i do agree with you man

Ottostrom

10 Mar 2017

mreese80 wrote:
jutty P wrote:I actually really like Emotional Piano by Soundiron. I've tried them all but that one just has something special. Fits my style. Give it a try.
Wow. I must say i do agree with you man
It can be a pain to work with though!
I really like the sound of it but the levels between different notes is somewhat inconsistent, so you have to watch out for clipping.

• Information