New Reason User ! Hello! Korg M1 Question

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
SWEAT1984

12 Dec 2016

Hi folks new user here, loving Reason after using Ableton for years - I ALWAYS was dying to use reason and am glad i took the chance to jump ship

A question about RE's - Is there any similar RE's to the good ol Korg M1 ? I bought the Monopoly Already and it's simply Awesome ! but i miss using the Old M1 and Wavestation VST's -

I do a lot of 80's style Funk / Jazzy Paul Hardacstle stuff so i need some decent Rompler type sounds (don't care about how super realistic they etc..I like the dated sound haha!)

Cheers

doctecazoid

12 Dec 2016

Hi and welcome to the forum! We hope you enjoy your time here and your use of Reason. (I'm especially interested, once you get the hang of the software, to hear your observations regarding comparisons between Ableton & Reason, e.g. features, workflow, programming flexibility etc.)

As for your question: while not similar in interface and programming, I believe Rob Papen's "Vecto" RE would come closest to what you are looking for in terms of its synth engine, architecture and overall sound...

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... nstrument/

Others here may disagree with me, and I'm certainly open to other opinions on this topic. (I know many Reason users are hoping Korg decides it's worth their while to create an M1 and/or a Wavestation RE for Reason at some point.)

Creativemind

12 Dec 2016

You could if using a Mac, use Soundflower and the EMI (External Midi Instrument) wire in the Korg M1 as audio into Reason, only audio mind. Think you can do it on Windows using LoopBE think it's called but never got my head round it. Google or You Tube it.

Another alternative would be to use Abelton with the Korg M1 and bounce the audio out and import into Reason.

I for one though would love to have the Korg M1 and Wavestation as Rack Extensions.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Lizard

12 Dec 2016

Vecto is nice but I think more along the line of Hydronexius Workstation ROM when making comparison to the M1. You may give a close look to that one and listen to some of the samples. Quite honestly however the M1 was one of the first workstation synths. A good ole Combinator and some NN-XT is all you need. :) Factory sound bank is your friend if you like some nice comparable M1 sounds.
Creativemind wrote:You could if using a Mac, use Soundflower and the EMI (External Midi Instrument) wire in the Korg M1 as audio into Reason, only audio mind. Think you can do it on Windows using LoopBE think it's called but never got my head round it. Google or You Tube it.

Another alternative would be to use Abelton with the Korg M1 and bounce the audio out and import into Reason.

I for one though would love to have the Korg M1 and Wavestation as Rack Extensions.
Expanding on Creativemind for the Windows group you can run something like Loopbe1 or LoopBe30 (paid) to bridge MIDI between the two. You could also run M1 and several other VST in something like VSTHost (free) and use Reason's EMI to record them in Reason's Sequencer. Cool thing about VSTHost is that you could record the audio from that in there and save someplace then import it into a Reason Audio File. Some audio devices have audio loopback which allow you to record back into Reason. The below link is to a short video I made of the process. Nothing fancy but demonstrates the concept.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oj0pxzp61z9uk ... 0.mp4?dl=0

Creativemind

12 Dec 2016

Oh not heard of VSTHost. Is that for Windows?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Lizard

12 Dec 2016

Yes. VSTHost is by Hermann Sieb. He also makes a nice little program called SAVIHost which allows you to save the file in the same directory as the VST Dynamic Link Library that when you rename it is acts as a stand alone executable. His products are at below address :

http://hermannseib.com/midi.htm

It is a cool little program that is offered for free and can me modified to your needs. It allows for several Workspace Environments that you can set up an name. So if you load a song in Reason you could pull up it's environment just as quickly in VSTHost. It can be skinned to your liking. IN fact with the right free VST out there you could almost build your own DAW out of it with mixer channels and step recorders... and so on. I've attached a setup I run mostly with common free plugins and of course M1. ;) In the base set up I have a simple 8 channel mixer, VU Meter and a notepad for taking notes on the track.
vsthost.jpg
vsthost.jpg (834 KiB) Viewed 2184 times

SWEAT1984

13 Dec 2016

Thanks so much guys for the replies really great tips here !

It does look a tad complex though to get M1 audio into Reason, so much so I'm considering buying a Hardware Korg M1 !!

kuhliloach

13 Dec 2016

an extremely cheap idea to perhaps consider if you own an iPad:

Korg Gadget for iOS supports Ableton Link and is on sale right now
Korg iM1 for iOS works with Korg Gadget and is on sale right now
Reason supports Ableton Link - This means you could sync M1 audio out of the iPad and send it into Reason as audio, or use a digital path

EdGrip

14 Dec 2016

Welcome, SWEAT1984 ! Have you spotted the Paul Hardcastle reference in Reason - the NN-19 sampler?

SWEAT1984

14 Dec 2016

EdGrip wrote:Welcome, SWEAT1984 ! Have you spotted the Paul Hardcastle reference in Reason - the NN-19 sampler?
Haha Nice !! I did actually spot it last night

theshoemaker

15 Dec 2016

kuhliloach wrote:an extremely cheap idea to perhaps consider if you own an iPad:

Reason supports Ableton Link - This means you could sync M1 audio out of the iPad and send it into Reason as audio, or use a digital path
I second that, if you have an iPad. Grab midi LE as companion and you are fine (http://www.s-r-n.de/midile/). You can than route the audio to reason quite easy ;) I don't know which version of MacOS they added the iOS device support for Core Audio in the Audio/Midi Setup. I believe it's been Yosemite. I'm running El Capitan and it works fine. Create an Aggregate Device and you are ready to go. With Reason 9 and link timing/syncing is also no more issue. External Midi Device and you can sequence, too. Just no preset saving.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

fieldframe
RE Developer

15 Dec 2016

theshoemaker wrote:
kuhliloach wrote:an extremely cheap idea to perhaps consider if you own an iPad:

I second that, if you have an iPad. Grab midi LE as companion and you are fine (http://www.s-r-n.de/midile/). You can than route the audio to reason quite easy ;) I don't know which version of MacOS they added the iOS device support for Core Audio in the Audio/Midi Setup. I believe it's been Yosemite. I'm running El Capitan and it works fine. Create an Aggregate Device and you are ready to go. With Reason 9 and link timing/syncing is also no more issue. External Midi Device and you can sequence, too. Just no preset saving.
Wait, there's a way to get digital audio from iOS directly into an aggregate device on MacOS over Lightning?

kuhliloach

18 Dec 2016

Yes fieldframe the "digital path" I said above could mean a few things in terms of workflow, and then the digital bits could be placed onto a Mac or PC via lightning or Wi-Fi. Audioshare, AudioCopy, exporting files within an app, exporting to "iTunes", all could be considered options within a "digital path".

theshoemaker

19 Dec 2016

fieldframe wrote:
theshoemaker wrote:

Wait, there's a way to get digital audio from iOS directly into an aggregate device on MacOS over Lightning?
Yes, it's easy. Open ... Audio Midi Setup > Window > Show iOS Device Browser > Klick Enable on the connected device. Thats it, now just create the aggregated device and you are done. I'm using midi LE just for handling the midi over USB.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Bonkhead

19 Dec 2016

Voor windows vst I now use pedalboard 2. not all vst's work on it but it has a great modular cable routing system simular to reason:

http://www.niallmoody.com/apps/pedalboard2

• Information