RE compressors

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Emian

04 Apr 2015

hey !

The only REcomp i own so far is FET, & i really like it. the moment i trial'd it & used it on my drum buss i never stopped doin' so. i often do as Tincture said, TRY it on other things along the production process...
besides FET there's the SSL comps, pulverizer (!) , & MClass, so a lot of variation. also, if you own Antidote, you can use the compressor of its FX-chain on other instruments (i love it on pads).
i guess RE-2A/Dynamite/d-cam are Comps i'll probably buy in time.... but i never regretted buyin' FET first :)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

ReasonUser

04 Apr 2015

Slightly off topic, but what's the best way to learn about all the different kinds of compressors and their use? I mean, I know what they are and what they do to audio, but I don't really know when to pick one over the other and how to "dial in the right settings". Is the audio quality on YouTube video lessons actually good enough for a novice to hear the difference in settings? In lots of cases I'm having a difficult time hearing the adjustments.

tronam

04 Apr 2015

gak wrote:@Dynamite: That's for another time :)

@The others mentioned by tincture: Yeah, I can certainly see myself in that boat someday, but for now, I'm thinking the "attack" of FET is ace. I got the leveler on sale (even though it wasn't a priority) 

I'd LOVE to spend 29 bones on the dcam bus comp! That would be ACE in the extreme, but I'm not just looking for a bus comp. I'm looking for smaka rama. For twangy gooy, goodness. For "that" comp that isn't available in reason "included" .... 

Again, I'm nervous about simple demoing in an a/b environment because if for any reason (no pun intended) that I might want to revisit something.......I can't :frown:
A less expensive alternative to FET would be the D.CAM ChanComp which also strives to emulate the 1176 compressor. It doesn't have the same distortion/overdrive characteristics of Softube FET, but theoretically you could follow up ChanComp with Softube Saturation Knob (which is free) for some similar effects. Worth a try and comparison anyway. :)
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

EthicistBeats

05 Apr 2015

ReasonUser wrote:Slightly off topic, but what's the best way to learn about all the different kinds of compressors and their use? I mean, I know what they are and what they do to audio, but I don't really know when to pick one over the other and how to "dial in the right settings". Is the audio quality on YouTube video lessons actually good enough for a novice to hear the difference in settings? In lots of cases I'm having a difficult time hearing the adjustments.
Truthfully, you have to figure out exactly what the compressor is doing [i.e. knowing how each knob affects audio] before you will know which compressor is good for what, that parts just trial and error - as well as taste. Not the most helpful answer, but thats about it.

Getting your ear to hear compression, as well as knowing why you might want to use compression, is essentially "knowing the right settings". So anything will help, in that regard, as long as some video or article "makes things click" for you as to why you should use compression.

Everything we hear is compressed. *hears the room gasp*. So its best to learn how to use it. Basic compression ideology: Do you want to keep the transients, or take them away? If you want to KEEP the transient, or "punch", go with a slow attack. If you feel you want to CATCH the transient, or "spike", go with fast attack. Thats rudimentary, but it will help you decipher what you want to do, and where to start.

Just pick the most versatile compressor you have [think fastest and slowest, attack and release times] and use only that compressor for a lil while. Then grab all your other tools once you know you're hearing what you want to hear.

Peace & Happy Hunting. ;)

ReasonUser

05 Apr 2015

Thank you EthitiscBeats for your reply. I did just purchase the "outboard rig" so that will give me a number of compressors to play with. I thought when someone described a compressor as "fast vs slow" or "punchy vs mushy" that this was something I actually had to listen for (ie a sound character unique to the plugin) and not a setting on the compressor itself. I do understand that attack and release times and compression ratio can be changed. But my ears have a hard time hearing the changes unless the knobs are turned to near extreme values.

Djstarski

05 Apr 2015

ReasonUser wrote:Thank you EthitiscBeats for your reply. I did just purchase the "outboard rig" so that will give me a number of compressors to play with. I thought when someone described a compressor as "fast vs slow" or "punchy vs mushy" that this was something I actually had to listen for (ie a sound character unique to the plugin) and not a setting on the compressor itself. I do understand that attack and release times and compression ratio can be changed. But my ears have a hard time hearing the changes unless the knobs are turned to near extreme values.
what helped me understand compression was , when i guy called David Gibson said that , a compressor helps stabilize your sounds , so that it makes it easier for the listener to focus on the sound .

That i believe is the main reason for a compressor ( keeping volume levels even ) .The other stuff that a compressor can do can be confusing if you do not understand the basics .

Now how all the compressors out there handles the job is different . some add more bite ,some add more crunch , some are smooth where you can not notice that compression has been applied .

Focus on the sound your looking for not on the tools .

The tools were invented to help make music , not the other way round . 

selig
RE Developer

05 Apr 2015

ReasonUser wrote:Thank you EthitiscBeats for your reply. I did just purchase the "outboard rig" so that will give me a number of compressors to play with. I thought when someone described a compressor as "fast vs slow" or "punchy vs mushy" that this was something I actually had to listen for (ie a sound character unique to the plugin) and not a setting on the compressor itself. I do understand that attack and release times and compression ratio can be changed. But my ears have a hard time hearing the changes unless the knobs are turned to near extreme values.
Compression took me YEARS longer than anything else to 'hear' exactly what it was doing, so hang in there.

The best way to learn what a compressor is doing is do what you describe - exaggerate the settings and listen! Lower the threshold so the compressor is REALLY compressing, increase the ratio, then listen to what the attack and release do (it will be different on each compressor).

There's really only four controls you need to learn, but each compressor sounds different even when they have the same controls (not every compressor has all four controls available on the front panel). Threshold is the easiest to understand, especially if you understand how it works in a gate, and is basically defining "when" compression will happen (when the audio level crosses the threshold). Ratio is next, and it's basically a "depth" control that described how much compression will take place WHEN it takes place. Then you have attack/release, which describe how long it will take to reach the desired "depth" after you cross the threshold, or return to the original level after the signal goes back below the threshold. 

From there you can start by learning which compressors are favored for which source. For example, an LA-2a is commonly used on vocals and bass, so try them on those sources for starters. Here's an excellent article that may help get you started:
https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep09/ ... essors.htm
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

clone

05 Apr 2015

I purchased DCAM Bus Comp a month ago, now I'm looking to buy Chan Comp.

devilfish

07 Apr 2015

I use RE-2A, DCAM Bus and FET all the time.
Valley is good too, but i have my 3 favorites ;)

gak

08 Apr 2015

I think the red rocks one is going to work out nicely. It's not TOTALLY what I want, but for 45 bucks it's slick. I found myself in awe of it right away. A tad bit hungry, but no issues that I can see. Not quite as "squishy" as I'd like but until the FET goes on sale I'd really like to avoid that price tag and don't need that. 

What I like best about this comp is it has "that" sound. For example, with minimal effort it can bring up the hats w/o making the snare or kick too extreme. This is especially useful for dr octorex stuff. The SSL is "ok" to some degree but isn't quite the ticket. I really don't care for the mclass. It doesn't suck, but it's not what I'm looking for.

Emian

09 Apr 2015

i was wondering how the DCAM's are on CPU ? i read  the McDSP's are a dream on CPU, but never read a lot about the DCAMs ....

just wondering for a potential future "outboard rig" purchase :)

ProfessaKaos

10 Apr 2015

Emian wrote:i was wondering how the DCAM's are on CPU ? i read  the McDSP's are a dream on CPU, but never read a lot about the DCAMs ....

just wondering for a potential future "outboard rig" purchase :)
I loaded up 6x DCAm BusComp's, 6x ChanComp's and 6x EnvShapers all routed in series passing audio which gave my system 3 DSP bars. I did the same with the McDSP Comp's 6x C670, 6x FRG-4RE, 6x MooTube all routed in series passing audio which gave my system 1 DSP bar. Took me 9 of each of the McDSP's comp's to reach 2 DSP bars.
So in my result's the McDSP comp's use far less power, Hope this help's.

Tincture

10 Apr 2015

The DCAM's are still pretty good on CPU though IMO. I find them very useful. The BusComp is a staple on my drums so if you've liked the sound of my drums on my tracks that's been at least partly down to the BusComp. The EnvShaper is great for getting punch as well or for taking some reverb off. I don't use the ChanComp as much as the other two because it adds distortion pretty quickly but there have been times when that's exactly what I've needed - it's pleasant noise :)

Emian

10 Apr 2015

Thx both above posters for reply :)

mrj1nx

11 Apr 2015

Speaking of compressors, anyone tried this one? https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... c-channel/

Ive been wondering, why one would get an expensive EQ unit such as that one (besides the compressor), what is the difference between different eq units? The selling point of something like this: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... t-a-range/ i guess is the colouring of the sound combined with how the UI guides the user to certain frequencies instead of just giving full freedom. Does it make a big difference? Since i got the outboard bundle I've been spending a lot of time playing around with production technique and getting a better more professional sound which makes me want to learn more about this.

nooomy

11 Apr 2015

Last Alternative wrote:When in doubt I reach for Kong's transient shaper. God do I wish that was a half-rack device! It really makes things pop.
yes!! god i want all of kongs fx in half rack devices. the compresdor is just great too!

gak

11 Apr 2015

mrj1nx wrote:Speaking of compressors, anyone tried this one? https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... c-channel/

Ive been wondering, why one would get an expensive EQ unit such as that one (besides the compressor), what is the difference between different eq units? The selling point of something like this: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... t-a-range/ i guess is the colouring of the sound combined with how the UI guides the user to certain frequencies instead of just giving full freedom. Does it make a big difference? Since i got the outboard bundle I've been spending a lot of time playing around with production technique and getting a better more professional sound which makes me want to learn more about this.
I don't care how good it is, I'm not spending 350 bucks on it :rofl:

dvdrtldg

11 Apr 2015

Last Alternative wrote:When in doubt I reach for Kong's transient shaper. God do I wish that was a half-rack device! It really makes things pop.
nooomy wrote: yes!! god i want all of kongs fx in half rack devices. the compresdor is just great too!
+1 they really are excellent

theshoemaker

22 Nov 2015

What are your experiences with compressors regarding electronic music, like Dance, House, Techno (and maybe added a vocal track)?
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

• Information