(Slow)dive in

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Taff

25 Sep 2016

Would anyone know how to recreate in Reason the "guitar" sounds used by the band Slowdive?

EnochLight

28 Sep 2016

Taff wrote:Would anyone know how to recreate in Reason the "guitar" sounds used by the band Slowdive?

I absolutely adore Slowdive, and the late 80's/early/mid 90's shoegaze/space sound in general. I tend to use a metric shit ton of tried and true studio staples: reverb, delay, and chorus. Which ones you choose really depends on what you prefer.

I'm a fan of the stock RV7000 MK2 (impulse response FTW!), as well as Synapse Audio's DR-1, DC-2, and Rob Papen's RP-Verb Rack Extensions. I also pair my guitar with Kuassa's amp sim RE's, as well as some others. That said, I only own an acoustic electric at this point, so my sound varies a bit.

When I get a chance, I'll post some audio examples of what can be done with these from a space/shoegaze approach.

That said, to be clear - do you have a guitar?? Or are you trying to recreate spacerock/shoegaze guitars in Reason using synths/samplers + effects?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Taff

28 Sep 2016

Thanks Enochlight, it's in Reason I'd like to do it though.

I do have an electric guitar and a lexicon Alpha, I don't know if i can connect those into reason

EnochLight

28 Sep 2016

Taff wrote:Thanks Enochlight, it's in Reason I'd like to do it though.
Gotcha. Well, the effects principles are the same, but you're going to lose the nuance that is unique to playing guitar by using synthetic/samples instead. Still, a close approximation can be achieved - just use a string like synth bed. A touch of cab sim and distortion will make it sound more like actual guitar.
Taff wrote:I do have an electric guitar and a lexicon Alpha, I don't know if i can connect those into reason
Of course you can! A Lexicon Alpha is a 2-channel audio interface - recording in DAW is what it's made for. Assuming you have it installed on your computer, you just have to select it in Reason as your audio input. Plug your guitar in, and play! Add your effects in Reason, etc. Doing this via guitar is really the way to go - Slowdive was all guitar. No synth/strings on 'Catch the Breeze', nor any other songs on "Just For a Day" (great album, BTW). I saw them twice, live, during those times. Amazing performances.

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Taff

28 Sep 2016

Cheers mate, you're a gem!!

I saw them live in Bristol, just after "Just for a Day" was released.

Agreed they were great, and Rachel G is a real babe.

Taff

29 Sep 2016

Taken to hardware

EnochLight

01 Oct 2016

Taff wrote:Taken to hardware
Well, software can do it too. Here's a short example of all Reason + my acoustic electric guitar and bass guitar:

https://allihoopa.com/s/T5I4U1Pj

• Information