Newbie VST Midi question

Discuss VST stuff here!
worldphoenix

25 Apr 2024

hi all!

I'm using UJAM Royal Bassist on Reason 12 - I loaded it as an instrument and the VST loads and I can play it fine - however when I hit record nothing records. From what I've read I need to record it as a midi track. How do I do that?

Thanks

huggermugger

25 Apr 2024

I don't have Royal Bassist, but I have Mellow which I'm sure operates the same. UJAM's Virtual Basses and Guitars don't output MIDI. You trigger their Phrases with single notes on your keyboard. When you record, all you'll get in the track is long single notes that keep the Phrase going. You may also change the Phrase with single notes (the Phrase selection notes are below the chord selection notes). In this image, the long red notes at the top are in the Play Range, and they keep the pattern going in a certain key. The short pale notes in the octaves below select Phrases.

The actual notes of the bass pattern will never appear in a Reason track. Even if UJAM did output MIDI (like Matrix or a Player), Reason doesn't work with VSTs that output MIDI.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 8.58.10 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 8.58.10 AM.png (545.87 KiB) Viewed 84 times

worldphoenix

25 Apr 2024

Hi thanks for the reply I can't trigger it manually each time I play the track so I obviously I need to record it. When I record the track appears lights up as if its it recording, but when I finish there is nothing recorded onto the track?

WaxTrax

25 Apr 2024

This might not be part of your issue, but just in case you weren't aware, all of the phrases can be dragged and dropped into the Reason sequencer as MIDI files. That's not the same as using it as a traditional instrument, of course, but I just wanted to put it out there in case you (or anyone else) wasn't aware of that feature.

DaveyG

25 Apr 2024

I think Drag and Drop is only a feature of the V2 instruments.

• Information