Ozone 8 Advanced in Reason - Any problems?

Discuss VST stuff here!
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Nov 2017

So I think I'm gonna buy Ozone 8 Advanced. But first I just want to see if there's any been any problems using it in Reason.

Let me know your experiences.

AttenuationHz

26 Nov 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Nov 2017
So I think I'm gonna buy Ozone 8 Advanced. But first I just want to see if there's any been any problems using it in Reason.

Trailed it and it went swimmingly! JRR-shop is the cheapest ;) If you buy elements $29 and Ozone 8 advanced elements upgrade $299.25 it will work out even cheaper again. Just activate elements first before installing advanced!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

woodsdenis

26 Nov 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Nov 2017

Unfortunately totally unusable in Reason due to CPU usage, I know its not CPU light but this is crazy. Immediately on instantiation it takes up 2 bars on the CPU meter and starts spluttering. I use it all the time on relatively heavy projects in Cubase and no issues. I don’t know if there is a timeframe for fixing VST CPU issues, it would be great to have an idea.

Mac 6 core 3.33 Sierra

AttenuationHz

26 Nov 2017

woodsdenis wrote:
26 Nov 2017
TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Nov 2017

Unfortunately totally unusable in Reason due to CPU usage, I know its not CPU light but this is crazy. Immediately on instantiation it takes up 2 bars on the CPU meter and starts spluttering. I use it all the time on relatively heavy projects in Cubase and no issues. I don’t know if there is a timeframe for fixing VST CPU issues, it would be great to have an idea.

Mac 6 core 3.33 Sierra
It is made to be used in standalone.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

woodsdenis

26 Nov 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
26 Nov 2017
woodsdenis wrote:
26 Nov 2017

Mac 6 core 3.33 Sierra
Sorry totally incorrect , it can be used as a standalone
Its also made as a AU/VST/VST/AAX plugin so you can use it a DAW which what most people do. Reason is the only DAW the it is totally unusable in, even with a 4096 buffer size. The reality is that VST implementation in Reason is appalling at this time, hopefully it will get better.

AttenuationHz

26 Nov 2017

woodsdenis wrote:
26 Nov 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
26 Nov 2017

Sorry totally incorrect , it can be used as a standalone
Its also made as a AU/VST/VST/AAX plugin so you can use it a DAW which what most people do. Reason is the only DAW the it is totally unusable in, even with a 4096 buffer size. The reality is that VST implementation in Reason is appalling at this time, hopefully it will get better.
I can use it just fine in reason. I agree that the DSP code needs to be optimised though.

JacobiusWrex

26 Nov 2017

I have a pretty good pc and I get lots of artifacting around 4 instances of Neutron advanced, whereas in pro tools I have instantiated 10 + neutron advanceds with no artifacting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JacobiusWrex

26 Nov 2017

Its really a bummer if you want to use neutron as the channel strip it is advertised to be, reason just doesn't have the dsp worked out well enough. But if you are just interested to use Ozone on a 2 track for mastering I'll bet you can get away with that.

I grabbed that O8n2 bundle which is pretty cool but honestly something I only use in pro tools

woodsdenis

26 Nov 2017

JacobiusWrex wrote:
26 Nov 2017
Its really a bummer if you want to use neutron as the channel strip it is advertised to be, reason just doesn't have the dsp worked out well enough. But if you are just interested to use Ozone on a 2 track for mastering I'll bet you can get away with that.

If thats all your doing just use the standalone I would say .

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Nov 2017

Well I went ahead and bought Ozone 8 Advanced from PluginDiscount for $338 (seemed to be the cheapest deal I could find, about €100 less then the sale price in the Propellerhead Shop) and then saw some negative comments here that it's very DSP heavy in Reason. Hopefully it works out ok. Tried Ozone 7 in Reason 10 at a friends place and it seemed to work alright, no stuttering or other problems.

The best thing for me would be to be able to put it on the master bus in the actual song project. I know some people have strong opinions about that but that would fit my workflow best. But if that's too DSP heavy then I can always export to another project and use it there.
Since it's the advanced version I'm hoping that I can put a couple of individual effects here and there in the mix, instead of using the whole suite. Maybe it'll be lighter on the DSP that way. I've been missing a good exciter in Reason for a long time so that's what I'd like to use on some individual channels. We'll see how that works out.

Except for the Ozone stuff I will only use REs instead of VSTs so hopefully I'll be ok. The way I see it is there wasn't really a RE alternative for this anyway. The RE exciters were not an alternative for me, neither was the Mclass stereo imager.

AttenuationHz

27 Nov 2017

I got it on JRR-Shop for $299.25 (upgrade from elements). I also got Reason 10 upgrade, Devaster 2, and Ozone 8 elements all for the price of iZotope's official sale price.

Plug-in Boutique were/are also selling it at a cheaper rate than iZotope.
Last edited by AttenuationHz on 27 Nov 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Iggster

27 Nov 2017

Guys,

Could someone briefly explain the main differences between the Elements, Standard and Advanced versions of Ozone & Neutron? I'm being offered a good price on Elements and Standard but not sure which package to go for (or indeed whether I should consider Advanced or not!).

I'm no professional, just a hoppyist! Thanks in Advance!

AttenuationHz

27 Nov 2017

Iggster wrote:
27 Nov 2017
Guys,

Could someone briefly explain the main differences between the Elements, Standard and Advanced versions of Ozone & Neutron? I'm being offered a good price on Elements and Standard but not sure which package to go for (or indeed whether I should consider Advanced or not!).

I'm no professional, just a hoppyist! Thanks in Advance!
Neutron is for shaping Ozone is for mastering.

The elements have very limited features, Standard has no individual plug-ins and some missing vintage stuff in Ozone. There is a comparison thing on the sight for all versions.

Ozone
Neutron

If you are getting standard or advanced buy off JRR-shop much cheaper! And buy elements first then the upgrade from Elements to Advanced/Standard

EnochLight

27 Nov 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
26 Nov 2017
TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Nov 2017

Trailed it and it went swimmingly!
:puf_bigsmile:

happy_trails.jpg
happy_trails.jpg (318.5 KiB) Viewed 5537 times

I'm glad to read all of this feedback, because I already own Neutron 2 Advanced and have been batting around picking up Ozone 8 Advanced for some time now. I can only use a few instances of Neutron on some of my larger/heavier projects, and have found that bouncing the mixer channels down to an audio-only project is the only way I can put 10-15 instances of Neutron 2 on each channel to use as channel strips, as it's intended. I suspect if I were to add Ozone to my master as I intend, it might bring things to a halt on my 5-year old machine.

I've recently started experimenting with some aggressive overclocking, though, and will have to try again. Just didn't want to miss out on these Ozone deals.

EDIT: holy crap - I don't think I can pass this up:

holy_crap.jpg
holy_crap.jpg (107.99 KiB) Viewed 5534 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

XysteR

27 Nov 2017

woodsdenis wrote:
26 Nov 2017
TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Nov 2017

Mac 6 core 3.33 Sierra
I use 7, but never within Reason. It's for mastering, so ideally meant to be used on an exported WAV file in standalone mode. I've not tried the individual elements in Reason, as I already have all the EQ's Compression etc that i'd ever need without complicating things further.

EnochLight

27 Nov 2017

Well, if you own Neutron 2, you can now use Ozone 8 in conjunction with it as they communicate with eachother, so Ozone 8 is best used in your actual session - if your machine can handle it. :lol: :lol:

I couldn't resist - I just scored Ozone 8 Advanced for just $149 USD (and I didn't even own a previous version)! Even if my machine can't handle it during an actual session, I'm more than happy with this deal!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

AttenuationHz

27 Nov 2017

EnochLight wrote:
27 Nov 2017
Well, if you own Neutron 2, you can now use Ozone 8 in conjunction with it as they communicate with eachother, so Ozone 8 is best used in your actual session - if your machine can handle it. :lol: :lol:

I couldn't resist - I just scored Ozone 8 Advanced for just $149 USD (and I didn't even own a previous version)! Even if my machine can't handle it during an actual session, I'm more than happy with this deal!
Sick! Lucky sod :lol:

BananaSkins

27 Nov 2017

EnochLight wrote:
27 Nov 2017
How did you manage that?

What happens if you have bought their RE 'Ozone Maximizer'; would that come into the equation for any upgrade?

AttenuationHz

27 Nov 2017

BananaSkins wrote:
27 Nov 2017
EnochLight wrote:
27 Nov 2017
How did you manage that?

What happens if you have bought their RE 'Ozone Maximizer'; would that come into the equation for any upgrade?
Sadly not. The RE is completely different than the VST versions both sound and quailty!

EnochLight

27 Nov 2017

BananaSkins wrote:
27 Nov 2017
EnochLight wrote:
27 Nov 2017
How did you manage that?
See my post from above (the screen cap of the conversation with iZotope). Basically, there were upgrade coupons showing up in my account. I have no idea why an upgrade coupon for Ozone 8 Advanced was showing, since I literally did not own any previous versions (aside from the free Ozone Imager plugin). But as you can see from my conversation with iZotope above, they said to "go for it". I did, and now have a full version of Advanced in my account!
BananaSkins wrote:
27 Nov 2017
I doubt it, since they have no idea if you bought it or not (owning any RE's does not register in your iZotope account). Have you logged into your iZotope account to see if you have any upgrade coupons available?

EnochLight

27 Nov 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
27 Nov 2017
The RE is completely different than the VST versions both sound and quailty!
Actually, the Ozone Maximizer RE sounds identical to the Maximizer component of Ozone 5. At the time it was released, that's the component it was taken from and matches it, function to function, and sound/quality, with the exception of IRC3 and waveform display missing in the RE. One could even argue the RE looks better/holds up better, GUI/UX-wise (that's a whole lot of GREEN). :lol: :lol: :lol:

ozone_compare.jpg
ozone_compare.jpg (262.37 KiB) Viewed 5508 times

AttenuationHz

27 Nov 2017

EnochLight wrote:
27 Nov 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
27 Nov 2017
The RE is completely different than the VST versions both sound and quailty!
Actually, the Ozone Maximizer RE sounds identical to the Maximizer component of Ozone 5. At the time it was released, that's the component it was taken from and matches it, function to function, and sound/quality, with the exception of IRC3 and waveform display missing in the RE. One could even argue the RE looks better/holds up better, GUI/UX-wise (that's a whole lot of GREEN). :lol: :lol: :lol:

ozone_compare.jpg
There is very subtle differences in both. The VST would not distort as much at higher volumes.

EnochLight

27 Nov 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
27 Nov 2017
There is very subtle differences in both. The VST would not distort as much at higher volumes.
I never experienced that myself, but admittedly - it was 5 years ago when I a/b'd them. I actually own the Ozone RE, but I was using a demo of Ozone 5 at the time.

AttenuationHz

27 Nov 2017

May aswell keep this thread for ozone 8 tips i'd say a few people got it.

The one thing I do not understand is how the Tonal Balance works it takes an absolute age to get the curves down at which point you are after taking them down too much and it takes an age to get them back up at with point its too much and on and on... :lol: . Is it based on feedback/resonance or what?

BTW, There is a free PDF on the iZotope site about Mastering and about Dithering also.

EnochLight

27 Nov 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
27 Nov 2017
May aswell keep this thread for ozone 8 tips i'd say a few people got it.

The one thing I do not understand is how the Tonal Balance works it takes an absolute age to get the curves down at which point you are after taking them down too much and it takes an age to get them back up at with point its too much and on and on... :lol: . Is it based on feedback/resonance or what?

BTW, There is a free PDF on the iZotope site about Mastering and about Dithering also.
I've only started to scratch the surface, so I might be a poor choice to respond.. but what I've found is that it takes time for Tonal Balance to register your EQ changes, as it's analyzing your playback in realtime. And obviously, depending on where you are during playback affects things as well. I'm just playing through the entire track to see how close/off my changes come and averaging out.

I haven't even begun messing with Ozone 8 in the mix, now - I feel like I have to learn an entirely new DAW even though I'm staying inside Reason! :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Information