A strange reason 12 bug on Mac

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
moneykube

03 May 2024

If I open reason 12, and do nothing > or I check a few devices to see if they are installed correctly, but I don't save anything.
Then > when I quit reason without exiting ( an often completely blank session ) > reason freezes indefinitely. I then have to force quit. If I close the session first and then quit reason, it does not freeze. This seems new to me in one of the recent updates. Today I opened reason just to take a snapshot to explain something to a band mate. I did not close the session. I quit reason. Instant freeze. It never closes and becomes non-responsive. Anyone else experiencing this?
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Pepin

03 May 2024

I had this exact issue about a year ago. A few times a week, I'd quit reason and the song file would close but the program would remain open and require a force quit.
I submitted a bug report at the time, but it eventually went away on its own. I never figured out the cause...

robussc

03 May 2024

moneykube wrote:
03 May 2024
If I open reason 12, and do nothing > or I check a few devices to see if they are installed correctly, but I don't save anything.
Then > when I quit reason without exiting ( an often completely blank session ) > reason freezes indefinitely. I then have to force quit. If I close the session first and then quit reason, it does not freeze. This seems new to me in one of the recent updates. Today I opened reason just to take a snapshot to explain something to a band mate. I did not close the session. I quit reason. Instant freeze. It never closes and becomes non-responsive. Anyone else experiencing this?
What you can do when this happens is open Activity Monitor, find the Reason app and "sample" it. That will produce a report indicating where in the code it's stuck. You could then send that to Reason support to help them track it down.

Here's a quick screen shot (using Mail as an example app). Select the app in Activity Monitor, click on the Info button to get the detail window and then hit Sample:
Sample.png
Sample.png (59.66 KiB) Viewed 364 times
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

moneykube

03 May 2024

robussc wrote:
03 May 2024
moneykube wrote:
03 May 2024
What you can do when this happens is open Activity Monitor, find the Reason app and "sample" it. That will produce a report indicating where in the code it's stuck. You could then send that to Reason support to help them track it down.

Here's a quick screen shot (using Mail as an example app). Select the app in Activity Monitor, click on the Info button to get the detail window and then hit Sample:

Sample.png
thanks for this tip... this behaviour drives me crazy. I don't have the issue with any other application.
I know , I know, ... just close the session first. I keep forgetting to do this because it was never a problem before.
Old habits die hard.

Theo.M

06 May 2024

moneykube wrote:
03 May 2024
Hmm this doesn't sound great at all. I still haven't installed it on Mac but will do so very soon and test this thoroughly - Macs are generally more easy to reproduce things from another Mac vs multiple Windows users trying to reproduce something, cause of the huge hardware variable there.
If I can reproduce it on such a fresh install and new machine with barely anything on it yet, well I'll let you know either way anyway. If I can't, at least we know it could be pointing to something on your system.

Oh, I do have a few background apps open at all times. Splice, for a plugin sub, which I will never do again as it's a very invasive app, UAD connect for UAD native, Apollo and UAD DSP monitor, as well as istat menus. Will see if any of those cause any conflicts too, although TBH I'd been using all of those bar Splice and UAD native on previous Macs for years and never had an issue, but we'll see.

moneykube

09 May 2024

Theo.M wrote:
06 May 2024
moneykube wrote:
03 May 2024
Hmm this doesn't sound great at all. I still haven't installed it on Mac but will do so very soon and test this thoroughly - Macs are generally more easy to reproduce things from another Mac vs multiple Windows users trying to reproduce something, cause of the huge hardware variable there.
If I can reproduce it on such a fresh install and new machine with barely anything on it yet, well I'll let you know either way anyway. If I can't, at least we know it could be pointing to something on your system.

Oh, I do have a few background apps open at all times. Splice, for a plugin sub, which I will never do again as it's a very invasive app, UAD connect for UAD native, Apollo and UAD DSP monitor, as well as istat menus. Will see if any of those cause any conflicts too, although TBH I'd been using all of those bar Splice and UAD native on previous Macs for years and never had an issue, but we'll see.
I have no background apps running... I am currently using OSX12.7.4
I would be interested, and appreciate it> if you can reproduce it, or not. :thumbs_up:
I have not checked the problem solving idea above yet... it's been crazy in my neck of the woods :exclamation:

stratatonic

09 May 2024

moneykube wrote:
03 May 2024
I quit reason. Instant freeze. It never closes and becomes non-responsive. Anyone else experiencing this?
I had a similar issue last year. I could close Reason when I had my Ethernet cable unplugged or wasn't connected, but had hangs when it was.
I'm offline with music computer so haven;t experienced that for a while. I just checked on 12.6.1 and it opened and closed, fyi.

Theo.M

14 May 2024

moneykube wrote:
09 May 2024
Theo.M wrote:
06 May 2024

I have no background apps running... I am currently using OSX12.7.4
I would be interested, and appreciate it> if you can reproduce it, or not. :thumbs_up:
I have not checked the problem solving idea above yet... it's been crazy in my neck of the woods :exclamation:
haven't installed it yet, I have been too unwell to even leave the bedroom for days now, very sorry. Haven't stepped into the music room at all even though it's just next door.

I'll get to it as soon as I can. When I disappear from the forums for a few days, you can pretty much be assured I am not feeling well and sleeping a lot, and it usually just comes out of the blue.

I'll try very hard to get it done by the weekend.

Sorry again.

• Information