Announcing Reason 13

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
guitfnky

02 May 2024

deigm wrote:
02 May 2024
guitfnky wrote:
02 May 2024
auto punch? markers? track folders? dear god please say yes.
If R13 is all about workflow then fingers crossed this is just the beginning and those features are still to come.

Everything shared so far looks great, but the features you mention are the sort of thing we're really talking about when we ask for workflow improvements, rather than workflow improving rack extensions like Auto Sidechain..

Don't get me wrong though, smart browser and sequencer tweaks are very, very welcome, and if they set the tone for what else will come in the R13 cycle then I'm excited.
yeah, totally agree. I think maybe the browser is the biggest real change here. most of the rest is just smart (and overdue) repackaging of existing functionality. it’s great to see they’re focusing on the core experience more and not just the RRP. will definitely be interested to learn more specifics.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

deigm

02 May 2024

Hey Mattias with 13 coming out will ReasonStudios start releasing roadmaps again?

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

02 May 2024

Pepin wrote:
02 May 2024
A couple questions that come to mind...
- Does this floating browser let us create devices without touching the mouse?
- Can the editor panel automatically open/close based on the selected clip? I'm trying to imagine the workflow on a laptop or a setup with less than 3 monitors, where you'd already be splitting the view between the rack and sequencer for instance. It could feel cramped to also split the sequencer on top of that, unless there's some kind of automatic show/hide behavior.
Yes, you can invoke and navigate the browser with keyboard only. That includes adding category and tag filters, and previewing patches, and picking patches.

There are a lot of nuances to how the Edit Area can be opened/closed to focus on what you want, we'll show this in more detail in the near future.
dusan.cani wrote:
02 May 2024
Okay, but we lost permanently opened sidebar list of presets. So If i want to see the patches, browse and load them, then I have to every time open the floating window which would visually cover the devices behind it ? Is it possible to shrink the browser and make a custom position to "emulate" the size and placement of the previous integrated browser ?
We'll have more to show and share about how this all works in detail in the near future.

WaxTrax

02 May 2024

I can't imagine what it must be like to be a software PM and dealing with people's constant negativity. No matter what you do, there will always be someone there to complain about it.

ambi

02 May 2024

Looks all good so far. I'm also a bit sceptical about the new browser but let's better not complain too early.

I have a suggestion though:
Add a favorites tab to the device selection window so that you can find you most used devices easier.

spacepluk

02 May 2024

Mattias, should we expect any changes in the Remote system?

I'm in the middle of making a proper script for the Native Instruments Kontrol S-Series and I would hate to do all the work and then have it break in June :D

spacepluk

02 May 2024

MattiasHG wrote:
02 May 2024
Yes, you can invoke and navigate the browser with keyboard only. That includes adding category and tag filters, and previewing patches, and picking patches.
This already justifies the upgrade for me hahaha

deigm

02 May 2024

WaxTrax wrote:
02 May 2024
I can't imagine what it must be like to be a software PM and dealing with people's constant negativity. No matter what you do, there will always be someone there to complain about it.
Any public facing position is like this, people being what they are..

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

02 May 2024

WaxTrax wrote:
02 May 2024
It's mostly the most rewarding job in the world, but I reckon my blood pressure's perhaps not ideal. :lol:

dusan.cani

02 May 2024

I wonder if the wrong scroll behaviour of the sequencer was fixed as it is major flaw of workflow:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7514067

Pepin

02 May 2024

MattiasHG wrote:
02 May 2024
Great news! The new browser sounds like a massive improvement.

Liimusic

02 May 2024

Omg finally. This is the right direction.

My only question is: can we sync and preview long samples to the bpm now? Mattias cmon….

CaptainBlack

02 May 2024

ambi wrote:
02 May 2024
Can't wait to add Ripley to my Nostromo.
I demand a Jones device.

Chi-Individual

02 May 2024

MattiasHG wrote:
02 May 2024
Here it is, we just announced Reason 13!

Check out what's new here: https://www.reasonstudios.com/new-in-13
And read my customary blog post here: https://www.reasonstudios.com/news/post ... ct-manager

We'll share more info and content leading up to the release on June 18th. Make sure you sign up for the beta too, while you're at it. We really appreciate the help testing this!
Let’s get to the real question. Who got the tattoo? :D
Great announcement. Can’t wait to beta test it. Thank you.

robgs

02 May 2024

After 12 versions will we finally get step input of notes? Literally every other DAW / Sequencer since the late 80's offers this function.. :?
:reason: :record: :refill: :reload: :re: :PUF_take: :refillpacker: :recycle: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Last Alternative

02 May 2024

Thank you RS!

My only question is did you fix colors & order of tracks to match every window? I never understood why you make a track blue in one window but it’s some random color in a different window and why the order of tracks you make in one window is different in the others.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

RandomNoise

02 May 2024

Nice! Was waiting for these news, stoked to check it out!! :clap:

I don't see the Block/Song toggle in the screenshots, please tell me you didn't took it out.. :?

stp2015

02 May 2024

Is the old browser gone? I like flipping through presets using the keyboard while seeing the corresponding rack.

madwurmz

02 May 2024

wow amazing news! Ripley from Aliens is such a cool chick! :D :D :clap: :puf_wink: :lol:
( I don't dare to ask will it be available without subscription ..)
madwurmz from planet verbs

Harthooft

02 May 2024

I'm assuming there's no grouping features (yet)? They probably would've mentioned that. I guess we'll have to wait longer for this.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

02 May 2024

stp2015 wrote:
02 May 2024
Is the old browser gone? I like flipping through presets using the keyboard while seeing the corresponding rack.
The old browser is now exclusively a device palette. But the new browser definitely still allows flipping through presets using the keyboard while seeing the corresponding rack.
madwurmz wrote:
02 May 2024
wow amazing news! Ripley from Aliens is such a cool chick! :D :D :clap: :puf_wink: :lol:
( I don't dare to ask will it be available without subscription ..)
Ripley's included in both Reason 13 and Reason+, as is all the other devices.

dusan.cani

02 May 2024

"the browser has been redesigned as a floating window that you open when you need it and resize as you see fit. The previous browser area is now a dedicated Device Palette that takes up less space and is focused solely on devices. " =>

I don't understand why sidebar style browser had to be discarded. If the area is still dedicated for device list, what's the point to discard the other views of this panel like presets, samples, etc ?

The worst thing for users of software is to discard something that worked well and that was MAJOR part of the workflow and force user ( if you want to use up-to-date software) to change workflow by using another method without ability to choose whether the user prefers the new way or not.

Preserving sidebar style browser which was introduced long time ago and make option to use this new but "historic" style browser would be easy and elegant solution to please everyone.

"However, workflow is a tricky word because it means different things to different people and how they make music. So with Reason 13 we had to start out doing a lot of research and design discovery." =>

I am not sure that discarding sidebar style browser and making floating window instead was something that users badly wanted. After all those years, tons of posts on forum were produced to express what users really would like to see in the future versions of Reason. Many of these requests were specific flaws which were unnoticed or ignored for years. Many of these requests are just basic functionalities which MANY users would appreciate and INSTANTLY pay for it but how many of them are implemented ?

If Reason Studios want to make their software for users, it's not bad idea to just listen to users and make decisions based on this. Nothing is easier than creating a dedicated page for big list of categorized feature requests with a poll/voting which would instantly show what are the priorities for users and what users want. Every request could have discussion with images, animations, etc.

Thanks to this official Reason Studios page, it would be very easy to know what users want. So is it better approach to secretly cooking something without users involved for long time with controversial results in the end or is it more successful to be open and communicate the feature ideas together with users and deliver something which would please majority who will instantly pay for this without any doubt ?
Last edited by dusan.cani on 02 May 2024, edited 4 times in total.

Mataya

02 May 2024

WaxTrax wrote:
02 May 2024
Should we just mindlessly clap our hands? I've been paying for every update and will continue (probably), but expressing what you hope for also and putting a little pressure like that should be positive and not negative.
To be honest, all those new devices seem like they have a third party Re counterpart. At least, I'm pretty sure I have similar devices in my arsenal. So, not very excited. Browser, tags...don't give a s*** about it. Will see about seq improvements. Dark reason? Isn't there a dark version already?
So yeah, not very excited about 13, but I've found a way to get excited beyond Reason. ;)

M

RandomNoise

02 May 2024

RandomNoise wrote:
02 May 2024

I don't see the Block/Song toggle in the screenshots, please tell me you didn't took it out.. :?
:?

Billy+

02 May 2024

• Information