Announcing Reason 13

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Reminiscence

03 May 2024

The only feature I want - is video preview with a timeline and stamps.

tewoc

03 May 2024

Reminiscence wrote:
03 May 2024
The only feature I want - is video preview with a timeline and stamps.
Why they do not adress ex- / long time- / potential new- DAW users with features like video support? Is it so hard to implement?
For example a VST-like Window that plays WAV or MP4 files in sync. Is this that hard to implement?

There would be so many sound designers out there who wait for this since ages!

Thousands of dollers of new income - espeacially in visual film industry! And because Reason has the great new interface, it would be a dream for movie guys! But it need track folders, too, because large projects needs some good structure!

So many of us really would like to see a "quick and dirty" video-sync-player and a folder system for organizing a lot of tracks in this new R13 release. THIS is truly indispensable for film and really big music project organisation!

@CEO: Please think about it!!
Last edited by tewoc on 03 May 2024, edited 6 times in total.

Reminiscence

03 May 2024

Exactly, but we're speaking about ver. 13 only supposedly. ;)

Maybe it comes in a point update. I'll jump immediately, until Bitwig does the same. Maybe VJ capabilities.

EnochLight

03 May 2024

luckygreen wrote:
03 May 2024
EnochLight wrote:
02 May 2024
... I do hope people reserve judgement until they've tried it. So sad to see the doom and gloom posts. ...
On one side: true. Save the final judgement until 13 is out in the wild. And yes, maybe we get one or another small features afterwards.
I dunno - let's look at 12's trajectory since it released. Would you consider the added features that appeared between 12.0 and 12.7 "one or another small"? :shock: :o :?

12.1: Mimic sampler (+ stability, high res speed, and general optimizations)
12.2: All New Custom Combinators, +1200 new presets
12.2.x: New Combinator widgets for Combi customization; a crap ton of bug fixes & performance fixes; new Remote support; complete rebuild of how Reason handles multicore audio
12.5: VST 3 support (including added audio inputs and outputs)
12.5.x: Search filters
12.6: Seamless Offline mode; Native Apple M1/M2 support; new Remote support
12.7: Companion replaces Authorizer; new Remote support

I'd argue that while - yes - 12's run did include a massive amount of bug fixes and performance enhancements/fixes- throughout the entirety of 12's product cycle, I'd argue it had far more than just "one or another small feature" added. Some of those were fairly significant. And this has happened during more than just 12's run - earlier versions often had significant feature updates appear in point releases.

All I'm saying is - let's reserve judgement until we all have 13 in our hands, and then lets see what 13.1-whatever brings. In the meantime, I've got Ableton Live as a fallback. :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Reminiscence

03 May 2024

True - but maybe there is a v1d3o feature coming. :P

tewoc

03 May 2024

Reminiscence wrote:
03 May 2024
True - but maybe there is a v1d3o feature coming. :P
V1D3O

Awesome idea.

Now do the same idea for track folders and send it to Reason Studios please :-)

Loque

03 May 2024

EnochLight wrote:
03 May 2024
luckygreen wrote:
03 May 2024

On one side: true. Save the final judgement until 13 is out in the wild. And yes, maybe we get one or another small features afterwards.
I dunno - let's look at 12's trajectory since it released. Would you consider the added features that appeared between 12.0 and 12.7 "one or another small"? :shock: :o :?

12.1: Mimic sampler (+ stability, high res speed, and general optimizations)
12.2: All New Custom Combinators, +1200 new presets
12.2.x: New Combinator widgets for Combi customization; a crap ton of bug fixes & performance fixes; new Remote support; complete rebuild of how Reason handles multicore audio
12.5: VST 3 support (including added audio inputs and outputs)
12.5.x: Search filters
12.6: Seamless Offline mode; Native Apple M1/M2 support; new Remote support
12.7: Companion replaces Authorizer; new Remote support

I'd argue that while - yes - 12's run did include a massive amount of bug fixes and performance enhancements/fixes- throughout the entirety of 12's product cycle, I'd argue it had far more than just "one or another small feature" added. Some of those were fairly significant. And this has happened during more than just 12's run - earlier versions often had significant feature updates appear in point releases.

All I'm saying is - let's reserve judgement until we all have 13 in our hands, and then lets see what 13.1-whatever brings. In the meantime, I've got Ableton Live as a fallback. :lol:
12.2.x was not the new threading model, right? I think this came later and improved the overall performance at least on my machine around 25%.
Reason12, Win10

Harpuia

03 May 2024

Really nervous about the new browser. I like having the new one as an option, but I hate to give up my muscle memory for favorite samples and devices right there in the window. Most of the time I'm using it I'm browsing for samples and dropping them into the sequencer.

I think if there was an option to retain legacy functionality I'd be a lot less worried, but I'm definitely still going to try it during beta to see how it feels.

New devices and sequencer updates look awesome though, really happy about the built in ducking tool.

joeyluck

03 May 2024

Free upgrade from January 1... Is this the most gracious grace period for Reason we've seen? I feel like usually it's 2 or 3 months at the most before release and not usually 5 1/2 months. Or am I mistaken?

crimsonwarlock

03 May 2024

joeyluck wrote:
03 May 2024
... not usually 6 (nearly 7) months.
Not sure about your calculation :lol: but June 18 is closer to five and a half months from January first. So definitely not 'nearly 7 months' :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

sublunar

03 May 2024

MattiasHG wrote:
02 May 2024
Here it is, we just announced Reason 13!
I read the blog post and the announcement and I'm excited for the new workflow features!

I didn't see anything about it specifically so I have to ask: any updates to editing audio clips, like improving the weird "comp edit" mode? Having long ago switched from other DAWs that were powerful audio editors, that's been an area I always felt Reason could improve upon. That and adding video support.

Anyway, I love what I'm seeing so far in this announcement.

SynthGang

03 May 2024

selig wrote:
02 May 2024
The order of the track is the same in every window, until you change it. I've requested an option to force all views to stay in sync with the device order, but for now the oddly named "Sort Selected Device Groups" command does the job after the fact.
Oh my God... I literally never even noticed this command existed :lol: Hilarious I never knew but thanks for pointing it out, lol. And +1 to this request!

joeyluck

03 May 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
03 May 2024
joeyluck wrote:
03 May 2024
... not usually 6 (nearly 7) months.
Not sure about your calculation :lol: but June 18 is closer to five and a half months from January first. So definitely not 'nearly 7 months' :puf_wink:
Lol yes of course! 🤦‍♂️ I had originally typed 6 then changed it and totally messed it up. I'm going to edit it now though the right way. Still longer than the usual grace period, right?

crimsonwarlock

03 May 2024

joeyluck wrote:
03 May 2024
Still longer than the usual grace period, right?
Absolutely. But it doesn't work for me anyway, I got 12 the day it dropped :lol:

Pretty sure 13 won't be different for me :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Chi-Individual

03 May 2024

I do like how they’re addressing some small features for the new comers to Reason. Us seasoned Reasoners may not be wowed by them but I’m happy to see the 3 new tools added. If I was considering switching from another DAW these are things I’d expect to see in a DAW this old plus more. So I feel like they’re on the right track.

djadalaide

03 May 2024

Regarding the updates to the sequencer and the browser, just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should do it.

AfterAudio

03 May 2024

Reason Sequencer + Tools = :puf_smile:

But I'm wondering about this :think:
"We even snuck in some new editing feature here that are quite useful."

and hello everyone, this is my first post on ReasonTalk. :wave:

Creativemind

03 May 2024

Eclipxe wrote:
02 May 2024
Creativemind wrote:
02 May 2024

You didn't explain this very well but linked clips has been a feature I've wanted for 10 years, it's absolutely baffling anyone would not want this feature and blocks isn't the same thing before anyone states that.

Linked clips is basically having say for example, a 4 chord progression in a clip and then just being able to drag the clip out to copy it (like FL Studio, Reaper etc does) and it just loops depending on the length of the first clip, 4 bars, 8 bars, 16 bars etc and each loop of the clip is the duplicate of the first clip, changing say a chord in that 4 chord progression from say a major to a minor and all the linked clips change too, saves so much time. The same thing with automation too.
YES. I WANT LINKED CLIPS
So do I, it's a no brainer and if you change or add a note or notes or chord in a clip, to have to delete all the currently duplicated clips and then duplicate all over again, thus remembering where they all went as there will be gaps is antiquated and also frustrating.

:thumbs_up:
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

03 May 2024

dusan.cani wrote:
02 May 2024
"the browser has been redesigned as a floating window that you open when you need it and resize as you see fit. The previous browser area is now a dedicated Device Palette that takes up less space and is focused solely on devices. " =>

I don't understand why sidebar style browser had to be discarded. If the area is still dedicated for device list, what's the point to discard the other views of this panel like presets, samples, etc ?

The worst thing for users of software is to discard something that worked well and that was MAJOR part of the workflow and force user ( if you want to use up-to-date software) to change workflow by using another method without ability to choose whether the user prefers the new way or not.

Preserving sidebar style browser which was introduced long time ago and make option to use this new but "historic" style browser would be easy and elegant solution to please everyone.

"However, workflow is a tricky word because it means different things to different people and how they make music. So with Reason 13 we had to start out doing a lot of research and design discovery." =>

I am not sure that discarding sidebar style browser and making floating window instead was something that users badly wanted. After all those years, tons of posts on forum were produced to express what users really would like to see in the future versions of Reason. Many of these requests were specific flaws which were unnoticed or ignored for years. Many of these requests are just basic functionalities which MANY users would appreciate and INSTANTLY pay for it but how many of them are implemented ?

If Reason Studios want to make their software for users, it's not bad idea to just listen to users and make decisions based on this. Nothing is easier than creating a dedicated page for big list of categorized feature requests with a poll/voting which would instantly show what are the priorities for users and what users want. Every request could have discussion with images, animations, etc.

Thanks to this official Reason Studios page, it would be very easy to know what users want. So is it better approach to secretly cooking something without users involved for long time with controversial results in the end or is it more successful to be open and communicate the feature ideas together with users and deliver something which would please majority who will instantly pay for this without any doubt ?
Very well put and 100% agree. Sadly that would take common sense lol!

Creativemind

03 May 2024

robussc wrote:
02 May 2024
tewoc wrote:
02 May 2024
Still no markers, editable shortcuts and folders?
Markers seems like very low hanging fruit, not sure why they've not been added?
Yeah and another really easily implementable feature and very handy / useful one, a slice by song position pointer shortcut.

Creativemind

03 May 2024

dusan.cani wrote:
03 May 2024
Another example of workflow flaw which is unnoticed or ignored for years:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7509926

And solution / fix would be very easy, as discussed in the dedicated thread.

note-editing.jpg
Yes, I very much want this but a modifier key isn't the best solution, someone mentioned on here years ago, possibly the thread you linked but the best way is to have the arrows absent till you hover the mouse over the beginning or end of the note so to move you'd have to be in the middle of the note.

Creativemind

03 May 2024

dusan.cani wrote:
03 May 2024
dusan.cani wrote:
03 May 2024

And solution / fix would be very easy, as discussed in the dedicated thread.

This GIF shows how editing of the notes should work:

note-editing-fix.gif
:thumbs_up:

+ also a lengthen / shorten together one would be good like a Reaper so like this if you get me ] [ so if you have 2 notes (or works on clips in the sequencer too) you can shorten the note before but also the one after follows it so the start starts earlier on the note after, hard to explain.

spacepluk

03 May 2024

I’m surprised at the amount people triggered by the new browser being in a separate window… I want the browser to help me find my patches quickly so I can close it as soon as possible. With tags and full keyboard control it sounds like it will do the job much better than the current one.

Also having the devices in a separate panel sounds like a good thing. Right now if you drag a device it will go into the patch browser and going back resets the scroll position which isn’t great if you have a lot of plugins.

SebAudio

04 May 2024

I won’t upgrade until they give me 13 Reasons why I should upgrade :lol:

• Information