Offline authorization will be discontinued for R11 and earlier - This is serious

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
dusan.cani

31 Aug 2023

_andreypetr_ wrote:
01 Jun 2023

Now that make sense
HAHAHA, excellent :clap: ...

MadGadget

31 Aug 2023

WOO wrote:
30 Aug 2023
I have an old usb stick" red with propellerhead" written on it that came with a version of reason, I believe it was record. I also have codemeter installed on my desktop. How do I make sure sure that all my re's are stored on my usb device, so that I can run version 11, on another computer whenever I purchase a new one? I need the step by step procedure. When I open the usb stick this is what it shows as stored on it. The CM- Stick folder contains the file codemtr.io that is 1 kb. in size. Thanks in advance.
The process is quite simple, just do the following:

1) Insert the Propellerhead Ignition Stick into your machine
2) Now go to https://reasonstudios.com,
3) Now, click the 'Login' in the top right corner and log into your account if you haven't done so before, if you have, it will show 'My Account' instead
4) Click the ''My Account' option once you have successfully logged in and you will be presented with a drop down list of options, select the 'My Products' option
5) Once you are presented with the page titled 'My Products' there should be a button on there that says 'AUTHORIZE', click that
6) You might get a pop up about allowing AUTHORIZER to start (depends on whether you are macOS or Windows) accept those messages
7) Now you should be presented with a page titled 'AUTHORIZE COMPUTER AND KEYS'

On that page, it should show you the status of your computer and the Ignition Key in terms of the Offline authorisation.

You should have the option to 'AUTHORIZE' or 'DEAUTHORIZE' your stick, once authorised, it means that you can remove it and you have your license(s) including RE's etc permanently stored on the stick.

MadGadget

31 Aug 2023

dusan.cani wrote:
31 Aug 2023

If you want to stay on R11 or below, it will not work offline at all after specified date (if you reinstall Reason or if you update / buy RE).

It is actually possible to get everything you need so that once the deadline has passed, you could still install Reason 'and' your Rack Extensions without having to go online or need to talk to the authorisation servers, but you need to do it before the deadline and you need an Ignition stick.

The steps depend on whether you are on macOS or Windows.

Basically, you need to install everything you have on a machine and then make sure you have an Ignition stick also setup now because if you have to reinstall post-deadline, you can't then put the offline license on the machine anymore as that would require the authorisation servers.

I have tested this in readiness on both macOS and Windows and I can now install Reason12.5.3.d5 and all my purchased REs on a machine that is never connected to the internet and I can then run everything authorised using the Ignition stick.

This is different to simply cloning the machine, which is a working solution for protecting your machine against drive failure, but not totally, ie. if the motherboard dies in the future, you would have to revert to the Ignition key.

This allows me to install the build I want, in this case, 12.5.3.d5, on a completely new machine without having to connect to the authorisation servers, but I still need my license on the key.

In readiness for the impending doom :(

dusan.cani

31 Aug 2023

MadGadget wrote:
31 Aug 2023
dusan.cani wrote:
31 Aug 2023

If you want to stay on R11 or below, it will not work offline at all after specified date (if you reinstall Reason or if you update / buy RE).

It is actually possible to get everything you need so that once the deadline has passed, you could still install Reason 'and' your Rack Extensions without having to go online or need to talk to the authorisation servers, but you need to do it before the deadline and you need an Ignition stick.
Yes, I understand it as this approach was explained in the thread, thanks. Unfortunately, the ignition key costs 70 bucks :(

MadGadget

31 Aug 2023

Ah, I can see that would be a problem if you haven't got one already - sorry about that

ambi

31 Aug 2023

dusan.cani wrote:
31 Aug 2023
I really wonder that this is not violating the customer rights. And if you use those Reason versions online, you will experience that stupid and extra bothering pop-up login window EVERY TIME before Reason starts. At least they could fix this pointless appearing of the popup after all those years, but they don't care.
It's also sad that many users are defending this nasty and disrespectful decision and they don't understand that there are still users who just want to stick to R11 or R10 and don't want to upgrade to R12 because of various reasons.
I fear that from a legal perspective you can't do much. I checked the website (even with waybackmachine) and it always said in the software requirements that Reason needs an active internet connection.

I'm also not a supporter of that move but to be honest, I stopped caring for these things at some point because almost all companies are doing it nowadays. So switching to another software will probably not help in the long term either.

And I don't know how it is in older versions but in Reason 12 you can choose to auto-login so that the login window does not appear anymore.

NostraDAWmus

31 Aug 2023

ambi wrote:
31 Aug 2023

I fear that from a legal perspective you can't do much. I checked the website (even with waybackmachine) and it always said in the software requirements that Reason needs an active internet connection.
Yes, for authorization of the Ignition Key or the computer !
And for downloads,- p.ex. essential 'factory' and 'orchestra' library files.
But it was never all about permanent internet connection to do your work.
That´s new.

And like dusan.cani, I too think it violates customer rights,- cause when you own an Ignition Key w/ all your licences and don´t want to upgrade to Reason 12 or later, possibly because you don´t want to upgrade your DAW machine(s) all the time, it MUST be possible to install all Reason versions up to latest v11, all your RE´s you payed for as also applications (ReCycle etc.) on ANY machine matching system requirements of the to be installed/ re-installed version and as long as the Ignition Key works,- period.
And when RSNStudios want to get rid of the iterative re-autorization process of the Ignition Key,- it should work w/ just only the key as it is and w/o need to be connected to the web.

The "September 25, 2023" deadline alone is a violence of customer rights and a re-installation of the "old" software you own should not depend on your system drive or computer mainboard currently still working.
A legal user should be able to replace whatever computer hardware in case of failure and be able to re-install his licenced software products.
If not, it is no less than unbounded cheek and a sneaky trick forcing long time customers upgrading to Reason 12(+).

I´m pretty sure there are ways to organize that,- maybe individually for given customers w/ problems and via customer service.
ambi wrote:
31 Aug 2023
I'm also not a supporter of that move but to be honest, I stopped caring for these things at some point because almost all companies are doing it nowadays. So switching to another software will probably not help in the long term either.
They only do because they can.
Customers are too much of good nature,- and too lazy in addition.
They know that.
When finding enough customers willing to fight, filing a case might change behaviour of software manufacturers in general.
Reason Studios and lots of other companies aren´t that rich like Apple, Google, Microsoft etc.,- so there´s a chance they might think about.
ambi wrote:
31 Aug 2023
And I don't know how it is in older versions but in Reason 12 you can choose to auto-login so that the login window does not appear anymore.
There are enough pro users and studios not willing to be connected to the web w/ their DAW machines always,- this by good reasons.
The manufacturers know that too, but don´t care,- and a gazillion of amateurs does too unfortunately.
They don´t learn it´s all about subscription and I´m pretty sure, Reason Studio´s target is "subscription only".
It will be one of the next steps.

:thumbs_down:

P.

jam-s

01 Sep 2023

MadGadget wrote:
31 Aug 2023
This allows me to install the build I want, in this case, 12.5.3.d5, on a completely new machine without having to connect to the authorisation servers, but I still need my license on the key.
Could you kindly post the exact file name of the .zip file so one could still download it just in case? Thanks.

MadGadget

01 Sep 2023

jam-s wrote:
01 Sep 2023
Could you kindly post the exact file name of the .zip file so one could still download it just in case? Thanks.
Do you mean the zip used to install Reason that I mentioned or the steps to go through to install Reason completely offline?

What operating system do you use?

jam-s

01 Sep 2023

MadGadget wrote:
01 Sep 2023
Do you mean the zip used to install Reason that I mentioned or the steps to go through to install Reason completely offline?

What operating system do you use?
Yes, exactly that .zip for Windows. I had only saved Reason_1261_d72-Stable-710-Win.zip but that might be too recent.

MadGadget

02 Sep 2023

jam-s wrote:
01 Sep 2023

Yes, exactly that .zip for Windows. I had only saved Reason_1261_d72-Stable-710-Win.zip but that might be too recent.
Here you go :)

This is the Reason Studios page with versions going back to v7, you'll find the 12.5.3 link near the top.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason/updates

Ichooselife

02 Sep 2023

i just had a free 6 month code i installed reason 12 and felt like i was signing my life away , i completly straight away uninstalled it lol , don’t want it to mess up my 11

and why don’t you get most of all the instruments with a perpetual you get with reason plus it’s silly oh man i hate subs , i really do

if the only way is to sub people will crack more trust me

jam-s

02 Sep 2023

MadGadget wrote:
02 Sep 2023
Here you go :)

This is the Reason Studios page with versions going back to v7, you'll find the 12.5.3 link near the top.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason/updates
Doh. (I even had this page in my bookmarks...) Thanks for sharing it again. :redface:

QVprod

02 Sep 2023

Ichooselife wrote:
02 Sep 2023
i just had a free 6 month code i installed reason 12 and felt like i was signing my life away , i completly straight away uninstalled it lol , don’t want it to mess up my 11

and why don’t you get most of all the instruments with a perpetual you get with reason plus it’s silly oh man i hate subs , i really do

if the only way is to sub people will crack more trust me
You can have both 11 and 12 installed.

R+ cost more than a perpetual license in the long run so those users get the extra bells and whistles…it’s only fair.

Those same RE are also available for purchase if you don’t want to subscribe. You may not even want all of the RS REs

Ichooselife

03 Sep 2023

by the way if anyone is looking for one i found
propellerhead usb stick on ebay ( very cheap atm ) i’m going to be moving to studio one artists to record live so i’m not that botherd

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115905061712

dmitrijsorokin

13 Sep 2023

I can no longer activate extensions on this page:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/user/prod ... license=re

Tell me, is it only me who has this problem?
I've been trying different Codemeter combinations all morning, but no key found.
However, Reason 12.5.3 sees the key and launches successfully.
It still worked in the summer.

dmitrijsorokin

18 Sep 2023

dmitrijsorokin wrote:
13 Sep 2023
I can no longer activate extensions on this page:

Tell me, is it only me who has this problem?
I've been trying different Codemeter combinations all morning, but no key found.
However, Reason 12.5.3 sees the key and launches successfully.
It still worked in the summer.
If you have 2 keys, and have a Reason 12 license on one key and Reason 11 Lite on the other, you will run into a problem.
Activation of RackExtensions and Manage License no longer works.
The key is not detected (it worked in the summer).

Attachments
1694952638845.png
1694952638845.png (120.65 KiB) Viewed 41861 times
1694952462032.png
1694952462032.png (116.82 KiB) Viewed 41861 times

WOO

20 Sep 2023

I just ran into a similar problem authorizing my ignition key moments ago. I had to use a different browser in my case the brave browser to log into my account then after hitting the authorize button it initially found the ignition key but when I hit authorize ignition key it suddenly said it could not find it. So I removed the ignition key and plugged it into another usb port and that worked. Make sure you have the latest version of codemeter installed btw.

WOO

20 Sep 2023

Thanks for the easy to follow directions. Got my ignition key authorized this afternoon. FYI. I had to log into my account using brave in order to authorize my ignition key. Logging in and trying to authorize using google chrome just wouldn't work.

The process is quite simple, just do the following:

1) Insert the Propellerhead Ignition Stick into your machine
2) Now go to https://reasonstudios.com,
3) Now, click the 'Login' in the top right corner and log into your account if you haven't done so before, if you have, it will show 'My Account' instead
4) Click the ''My Account' option once you have successfully logged in and you will be presented with a drop down list of options, select the 'My Products' option
5) Once you are presented with the page titled 'My Products' there should be a button on there that says 'AUTHORIZE', click that
6) You might get a pop up about allowing AUTHORIZER to start (depends on whether you are macOS or Windows) accept those messages
7) Now you should be presented with a page titled 'AUTHORIZE COMPUTER AND KEYS'

On that page, it should show you the status of your computer and the Ignition Key in terms of the Offline authorisation.

You should have the option to 'AUTHORIZE' or 'DEAUTHORIZE' your stick, once authorised, it means that you can remove it and you have your license(s) including RE's etc permanently stored on the stick.
[/quote]

rcbuse
RE Developer

20 Sep 2023

Hurry.jpg
Hurry.jpg (158.02 KiB) Viewed 41672 times

dmitrijsorokin

21 Sep 2023

WOO wrote:
20 Sep 2023
I just ran into a similar problem authorizing my ignition key moments ago. I had to use a different browser in my case the brave browser to log into my account then after hitting the authorize button it initially found the ignition key but when I hit authorize ignition key it suddenly said it could not find it. So I removed the ignition key and plugged it into another usb port and that worked. Make sure you have the latest version of codemeter installed btw.
The main page works, I can authorize ALL licenses and extensions with ONE key. But I cannot authorize Reason 12 for the FIRST key, and Reason 11 Lite for the SECOND key. It doesn't work like that any more. You can check by going to the separate RE login page: https://www.reasonstudios.com/user/prod ... license=re (it will write that the key was not found, it’s not just me).

Also, do not forget to save your RackExtensions folder, including the RackExtensions cache file - 30f9fffea59c.cache. I assume that if the server is turned off, during a clean installation this file will not be created (and therefore there will be no authorization through the key, even if you download the same versions of RE).

30f9fffea59c.cache - RackExtensions cache file for key
df858d0e909c.cache - RackExtensions cache file for online authorization

And you should no longer update RackExtensions, because new versions are not authorized by the key. Therefore you should save all RackExtensions files.

And you must save all installation files in case they are deleted from the Reason Studios server (it is no longer possible to download Reason 1, 2, Recycle 2.0 updates)

MadGadget

21 Sep 2023

dmitrijsorokin wrote:
21 Sep 2023
Also, do not forget to save your RackExtensions folder, including the RackExtensions cache file - 30f9fffea59c.cache. I assume that if the server is turned off, during a clean installation this file will not be created (and therefore there will be no authorization through the key, even if you download the same versions of RE).

Hi dmitrijsorokin,

Are these cache files on Windows or macOS? And where are they located?

many thanks

jklok

21 Sep 2023

I talked to my children about it. Just put Ableton Lite on a $107 mini PC. It was free with the M-Audio Keystation Mini32.
But I have a waterproof box with some backups of Reason to keep it going here to the grave.

Please don't end up like the great ship Vasa.
Last edited by jklok on 21 Sep 2023, edited 1 time in total.

dmitrijsorokin

21 Sep 2023

MadGadget wrote:
21 Sep 2023
dmitrijsorokin wrote:
21 Sep 2023

Hi dmitrijsorokin,

Are these cache files on Windows or macOS? And where are they located?

many thanks
I have Windows. The files are located here (by default):

c:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\RackExtensions\30f9fffea59c.cache
c:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\RackExtensions\df858d0e909c.cache

I constantly backup the entire folder c:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\RackExtensions

And during a clean installation I copy this folder back.
I don't have to authorize or upload anything. I put the key in and everything works.

PS: CodeMeter User Runtime (newest) https://www.wibu.com/support/user/user-software.html

PPS: Anyone who doesn't have the key will no longer be able to authorize online Record (online authorization Record was disabled a year or two ago). This trend is alarming for owners of Reason 12.5.3, Reason 11 and below. Reason 11 may also be disabled from online login.

1695037730187.png
1695037730187.png (24.3 KiB) Viewed 41575 times

MadGadget

21 Sep 2023

:thumbup: thank you

• Information