Question about Mono/Stereo in Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Propellerhands

10 Aug 2022

Hi, it's rather dumb question but I wanted to know if this knob that appears in a Mixer of an instrument (if you add for instance a delay or reverb), a quick setting to turn whole channel into MONO? I mean, does it act as true Mono or not?

Reason I am asking is that on Reason Studios tutorials about mixing everything in mono they go into elaborate ways of creating special combinator patch which can turn a device into Mono. I tried doing it and it is very cumbersome. Is it not easier to just go into Mixer and just pull the Knob all the way to the left and thus making that specific (or all) channels mono?

See attached image.
Attachments
lol.jpg
lol.jpg (43.91 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

deeplink
Competition Winner

10 Aug 2022

There is already a Combinator patch in the Factory Sound Bank that forces mono, so you can just use that.

Yes, you could pull the Width down on every track, however this will not affect your Sends FX.

Also, usually you would want to quickly check your mix in Mono and revert back - therefore, placing a Mono Combinator on your Master Bus is a better and more efficient way to go about it.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

selig
RE Developer

10 Aug 2022

Easiest is to use a monitor controller that has a mono button, second easiest is to use a device or combinator on the master that makes the entire mix mono (but be sure to not export mono!). Another option would be to bus everything to a Mix Channel before the Master and make THAT one channel mono with the Width knob. Most difficult would be to turn the Width knob of every mixer channel to mono but you would have to make sure any FX returns were also made mono.
I have a monitor controller so I just hit the mono button there when I need a quick mono check, but I also have a mono speaker that I can send the mix to and it makes it mono at the speaker (Roland Monitor Cube, fairly excellent mono dual-concentric powered monitor). Does that help?
Selig Audio, LLC

miyaru

10 Aug 2022

What Selig said: use a decent monitor controller. Doesn't have to cost the world. I use a Presonus Monitor Station V2, and like it a lot. Plenty of routing on the device, can connect up to 4 sources when used thoughtfull, and three destinations to speakers. Also 4 headphones outputs with independend source and volumes.

https://www.presonus.com/products/Monitor-Station-V2
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

motuscott

10 Aug 2022

So the width knob on the channel strip actually turns that track mono?
Or duo mono?
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

DaveyG

10 Aug 2022

selig wrote:
10 Aug 2022
Easiest is to use a monitor controller that has a mono button
BIG KNOB!

That is, Mackie Big Knob Passive. The easiest, and almost the cheapest way, to switch/mute/dim/mono two pairs of monitors.

https://mackie.com/en/products/studio-m ... ssive.html

Street price about fifty quid.

Propellerhands

10 Aug 2022

Thank you all for answers!

Well for me it is easier to just turn all tracks to Mono in a Mixer, I never exceed 7-10 tracks anyway and practically never use Send FX (if I correctly understand it).

And the option with combinator does not seem easier to me, can't understand from a video how to do it properly. Maybe will try for the 5th time later. (Ok, now I made it work!)

I have no idea what "bus everything to a Mix Channel before the Master" even means, honestly, so no go there. (Ok, after some thinking I understand what you meant but would still be impossible for me to do it)

As for monitor option, I do not know how to do it either on my external audio interface.

P.S. Ok, now it seems that Stero/Mono flip patch suddenly works for me. It did not before. Perhaps I did not put it in master chain.
Last edited by Propellerhands on 10 Aug 2022, edited 2 times in total.

Propellerhands

10 Aug 2022

deeplink wrote:
10 Aug 2022

Yes, you could pull the Width down on every track, however this will not affect your Sends FX.
Weird, first time I tried, and you were right, it did not affect my Send FX on that channel, then tried again and somehow now that width knob affects it suddenly. What kind of sorcery is this? I am sure I did not click anything, now everytime I re-open reason and if make an instrument and insert fx into channel then turn width knob all the way to the left it goes to mono.

integerpoet

10 Aug 2022

If you ever mix on headphones, having a mono button handy in your master section is pretty great.

I bet it's also pretty great even if you have a monitor controller and you don't like shifting your attention.

The easier a button is to hit, the more likely you are to use it. And you probably want to use it a lot.

I use the mono button on this RE a lot. The RE does a whole lot more than that. I only occasionally use the other stuff.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -splitter/

Here's an alternative which is cheaper and has fewer controls.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... converter/

If my employer didn't believe it owns my every thought, by now I might have made an RE which is just a single big button for this.

selig
RE Developer

10 Aug 2022

Propellerhands wrote:
10 Aug 2022
deeplink wrote:
10 Aug 2022

Weird, first time I tried, and you were right, it did not affect my Send FX on that channel, then tried again and somehow now that width knob affects it suddenly. What kind of sorcery is this? I am sure I did not click anything, now everytime I re-open reason and if make an instrument and insert fx into channel then turn width knob all the way to the left it goes to mono.
You just said two different things: that the Width knob not affect your SEND FX, and then you said the Width knob affected your INSERT FX. These are both “as expected”. Send FX have a separate RETURN channel, Insert FX are a part of the source channel.
If you mono the source channel, the send effect (even if the send was mono) will still likely output a stereo signal. So that means you ALSO need to “mono” the FX RETURN. But if there are Insert FX on that channel, it will indeed make the FX mono too.
But as you have already discovered, if you make the entire stereo mix “MONO” you cover all your bases.
Selig Audio, LLC

Propellerhands

11 Aug 2022

selig wrote:
10 Aug 2022
Propellerhands wrote:
10 Aug 2022

You just said two different things: that the Width knob not affect your SEND FX, and then you said the Width knob affected your INSERT FX. These are both “as expected”. Send FX have a separate RETURN channel, Insert FX are a part of the source channel.
If you mono the source channel, the send effect (even if the send was mono) will still likely output a stereo signal. So that means you ALSO need to “mono” the FX RETURN. But if there are Insert FX on that channel, it will indeed make the FX mono too.
But as you have already discovered, if you make the entire stereo mix “MONO” you cover all your bases.
My mistake. I vaguely knew the knob should not affect the Send FX and when I tried it for the first time, it did not (or maybe thought it didn't). Only affected the FX that was added below the Instrument, not the one inside channel SEND zone. Then the second try suddenly I could not reproduce it. Maybe I'm retarded and do it wrong?

So turns out I am and you explained it, because I confused Insert FX and SEND FX. I thought those things are the same. Embarassing.

Here is attached image which got me confused.

P.S. Ok, tried attaching Delay to Master channel and enabled SEND fx on that instrumen and indeed, the width knob did not affect it. Learned again something new today :-)
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (163.86 KiB) Viewed 1261 times

robussc

11 Aug 2022

I created a combinator with both "mono" and "small speakers" buttons which is patched between the master output and the hardware interface. It goes though a Line mixer, before hitting the hardware interface, which also takes the direct outputs from any reference tracks so I can easily A-B my mix without worrying about the reference tracks going through any master bus fx or fader rides etc.
Screenshot 2022-08-11 at 10.37.06 AM.jpg
Screenshot 2022-08-11 at 10.37.06 AM.jpg (969.77 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

bxbrkrz

18 Aug 2022

You could check if the user interface of your audio card provides a mono/stereo switch also.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

napynap

21 Aug 2022

The width knob on the main mixer channel just moves the left and right signals of the source closer together in the stereo output. When you put that knob all the way to the left, then both signals are at equal strength in the stereo output. This could cause some phasing issues depending on the source channels. Insert FX would be part of the width change. It doesn't affect any send FX.
visit http://www.napynap.com to learn more about me. Thank you.

selig
RE Developer

22 Aug 2022

napynap wrote:
21 Aug 2022
The width knob on the main mixer channel just moves the left and right signals of the source closer together in the stereo output. When you put that knob all the way to the left, then both signals are at equal strength in the stereo output. This could cause some phasing issues depending on the source channels. Insert FX would be part of the width change. It doesn't affect any send FX.
Maybe I missed something, but IMO that’s the whole point of checking your mix in mono, to reveal any phase issues.
Also, the width knob keeps both signals at equal strength at every setting, not just all the way to the left. Maybe what you meant to say is that at the far left both signals appear equally in both channels (thus, centered)?
And one correction - all changes to panning DO affect send FX, mainly if they are stereo. This is because the sends always follow mute and pan, even when pre fader (something I’ve complained about in the past!). So if you have The Echo on a track that has wide panning, then you collapse that channel to mono with the Width knob, the FX will also be mono because the send goes from stereo to mono. Make sense?
Selig Audio, LLC

napynap

23 Aug 2022

selig wrote:
22 Aug 2022
napynap wrote:
21 Aug 2022
Maybe I missed something, but IMO that’s the whole point of checking your mix in mono, to reveal any phase issues.
Also, the width knob keeps both signals at equal strength at every setting, not just all the way to the left. Maybe what you meant to say is that at the far left both signals appear equally in both channels (thus, centered)?
And one correction - all changes to panning DO affect send FX, mainly if they are stereo. This is because the sends always follow mute and pan, even when pre fader (something I’ve complained about in the past!). So if you have The Echo on a track that has wide panning, then you collapse that channel to mono with the Width knob, the FX will also be mono because the send goes from stereo to mono. Make sense?
@Selig,
Thanks for the clarification. For the phase mono check, that's why I use your Selig Gain RE :thumbup: , but it's good to know what can cause phase issues before they get to that point. For the send FX, I mostly use mono tracks so I don't notice what you pointed out. Thank you.

selig
RE Developer

24 Aug 2022

napynap wrote:
23 Aug 2022
@Selig,
Thanks for the clarification. For the phase mono check, that's why I use your Selig Gain RE :thumbup: , but it's good to know what can cause phase issues before they get to that point. For the send FX, I mostly use mono tracks so I don't notice what you pointed out. Thank you.
Even with mono tracks, the pan knob affects stereo FX. I take advantage of that function by swapping the send (or receive) cables L > R to R > L which is great on stereo delays or reverbs (when using full/true stereo effects). The result is if you pan the dry signal towards the left, the delay or reverb will pan opposite, which can be shared with any other track doing it's own independent pan for dry and wet. So one instrument panned center would delay center, another instrument panned left will delay right, and anything panned right will delay left with all in-between settings covered.
So basically with one delay, you can have 'smart panning' delays on multiple track that all pan independently!
This also works in the default routing where the FX will 'follow' the panning of the dry signal. Works on any full stereo FX like The Echo. For mono/stereo FX like RV-7000 you'd need to build a full stereo version using two RV-7000s, one for left and one for right (then link the controls in the Combinator).
Selig Audio, LLC

FrankJaeger

25 Aug 2022

Selig is probably to modest to tell you so I will for him. In the shop he has a very cheap device called Selig Gain and it has a mono enable button on it. I use that thing on EVERY single track I make in the master section. I prefer to do my full mix down in mono then switch back to stereo when I'm 95% done to see if it's to my liking. That device is one of the most useful ones I've purchased. Shout out to Selig as he made a good product, reasonably priced it and I've gotten tons of use out of it over the years.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

napynap

26 Aug 2022

selig wrote:
24 Aug 2022
napynap wrote:
23 Aug 2022
@Selig,
Even with mono tracks, the pan knob affects stereo FX. I take advantage of that function by swapping the send (or receive) cables L > R to R > L which is great on stereo delays or reverbs (when using full/true stereo effects). The result is if you pan the dry signal towards the left, the delay or reverb will pan opposite, which can be shared with any other track doing it's own independent pan for dry and wet. So one instrument panned center would delay center, another instrument panned left will delay right, and anything panned right will delay left with all in-between settings covered.
So basically with one delay, you can have 'smart panning' delays on multiple track that all pan independently!
This also works in the default routing where the FX will 'follow' the panning of the dry signal. Works on any full stereo FX like The Echo. For mono/stereo FX like RV-7000 you'd need to build a full stereo version using two RV-7000s, one for left and one for right (then link the controls in the Combinator).
@Selig,
Okay I never thought of doing that, and it reminds me of the Hendrix or even early Van Halen guitar mixes where there was extreme panning, and direct guitar on one side, but its corresponding reverb on the other side. Thanks for the creative tip! I'll try it out.

• Information