Key Command For Cable Routing?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
NMN

27 Apr 2022

Sometimes I have two rack instruments or effects that are far apart on the rack and I need to route cables between them. Rather than waiting sometimes 20 seconds or more to drag a new cable from one instrument to the other, is there a key command that would allow me to click on an output jack on an instrument, navigate using the zoomed out rack view, then click on an input jack on an effect to route the cable? It would be nice if there was.

deeplink
Competition Winner

27 Apr 2022

No key command..

However, I find right clicking on the jack and "route to" extremeley useful.

Also if you're routing a device to a mixer, you can right click and hit "A" to Auto-Route the device.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

joeyluck

27 Apr 2022

If you use something like an Apple trackpad, you can click to create a connection, and then swipe very quickly to navigate the rack with inertia to then make a far connection pretty quickly.

I've requested the feature to double-click to assign connections many times, beginning on the day I saw this video 6 years ago :)

That and the feature of showing possible connections would be really helpful for Reason.

That said, you can right-click to assign connections. Often times the right-click menu can be an overwhelming list.

Caelo

28 Apr 2022

deeplink wrote:
27 Apr 2022
No key command..

However, I find right clicking on the jack and "route to" extremeley useful.

Also if you're routing a device to a mixer, you can right click and hit "A" to Auto-Route the device.
yeah I think right click on the audio or cv jack and selecting from the drop down is the fastest option here.

Bonus tip: the "A" auto-route short cut works also really well for resetting the device quickly or open the patch browser quickly. Just right click on the device and press "R" for resetting or "B" for the patches. This type of quick selection works in every context menu (at least on windows) :)

djsmex

28 Apr 2022

This is one area blind users have little to no access. As screen readers do not read the graphic UI and sockets can be placed anywhere, with no top-menu and the context menu only works if the mouse pointer is on a socket.
Perhaps adding a top-menu item to list all in/out sockets for the selected device with a root-to sub menu that mirrors the rooting context menu is one way to give blind users improved access.
Myself, I have to use high magnification x40 even with app zoom set high and manually scan the back of the device to find sockets before being able to do any custom rooting.
:rebirth: :recycle: :reason: :re: :refill: :refillpacker:
youtube @johnsexton8082
www.reasonremoter.co.uk

NMN

29 Apr 2022

joeyluck wrote:
27 Apr 2022
If you use something like an Apple trackpad, you can click to create a connection, and then swipe very quickly to navigate the rack with inertia to then make a far connection pretty quickly.

I've requested the feature to double-click to assign connections many times, beginning on the day I saw this video 6 years ago :)

That and the feature of showing possible connections would be really helpful for Reason.

That said, you can right-click to assign connections. Often times the right-click menu can be an overwhelming list.
That's exactly the feature I am looking for, thanks. A simple double, ctrl, alt, or shift right-click to toggle the jack seems like a reasonable feature request (pun intended). I did not know about the right-click menu so that does help. I just have to make sure that I name my instruments and effects properly so that I can find them.

joeyluck

30 Apr 2022

NMN wrote:
29 Apr 2022
joeyluck wrote:
27 Apr 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy_-Kt4jfFs&t=390s

That's exactly the feature I am looking for, thanks. A simple double, ctrl, alt, or shift right-click to toggle the jack seems like a reasonable feature request (pun intended). I did not know about the right-click menu so that does help. I just have to make sure that I name my instruments and effects properly so that I can find them.
Yeah and it would seem that all of these features would be possible, because Reason handles all of the cable connections already.

For instance when you hover a cable over a connection, it turns red. Honestly that one has confused me, because usually red means "nope", but the point being is these connections can have visual feedback. You might also have noticed that connections for all devices are in hi-res, whether those devices were updated to hi-res or not. So they already have this very smart system in place, but they just aren't exploiting it.

It seems like highlighting possible connections would be possible and incredibly helpful...and adding a double-click feature to make connections should also be possible. And these features would serve both standalone and RRP users, so it's a win-win. And anything they can do to make the cabling more appealing makes the rack and RRP more appealing.

Fingers crossed they can add these improvements some day.

selig
RE Developer

30 Apr 2022

joeyluck wrote:
30 Apr 2022
i
For instance when you hover a cable over a connection, it turns red. Honestly that one has confused me, because usually red means "nope"…
Further confusion about what red means in the audio world…
Red also means “YES, we ARE recording”. And the Stop button, the one thing you would actually expect to be red, is never red.
And don’t get me started on the channel meters in Reason and why ‘red’ is used there even when levels are well below clipping…
Makes me see red!
Selig Audio, LLC

NMN

05 May 2022

No shortage of odd digressions on internet forums these days

• Information