Can anyone please explain what the hell is going on with my licence?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Klark Trent

28 Jan 2022

Hi all,

I am baffled by my licence. I have one IK (Ignition key) Have only ever had one ignition key. Have only ever bought two licences. One a decade ago for v6 and one this week for 11 suit that has automatically been upgraded to 12. So I have 6 and 12 on my online account. Yet on my IK I only have a licence for 7. Something I have never ever bought but am over the moon too have. Only last week I posted a thread asking if anyone would sell me a 7 or 8 licence. And then one drops out of the sky. My single only IK has only ever had a licence for 6 on it. Now it doesnt. It just has 7. Ive never ever bought 7.

Soooo, I haven't even tried 12 or 11. Couldn't care. Im overjoyed to have 7. Less is more for me and versions 7 and 8 with their integrated recycle is the sweet spot for me. So I woldn gladly give up the v12 licence for 7 any day however I am an ethical person and want to be right with the universe about my licences. I want to LEGALLY own 7. Also I want to buy some rack extensions. But I cannot as these require online registration. And when I do that I am told I only have a licence for 6 and 12. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr So where the hell di 7 come from? Also I really really want 7 and want too keep it. Only version Id like more is 8. It seems very glass half full me getting this then may not even supposed to be using it.

I wrote off to Propellerheads customer service and they are in the midst of explaining what has happend but its the weekend and these companies takes days to reply anyhow whats fine. But I just thought someone knoledgable here could help and put me out of my misery.

Here are cut and pastes of the messages to PH. Edited to make this long post shorter. I d like to say im not knocking PHs. Im happy with then and whats getting said, just wonder if I can find out WTF is going on sooner rather than this coming Wednesday. I have after all been after v7 or v8 for a while now and finally got what I wanted or so I thought...................

Hi
I have a license for 6.5 what has always been on my ignition key. It was the first product I bought from yourselves a decade ago.

Just this week I bought Reason 11 suite. I registered this and now my licenses for 6.5 and 11 (and somehow 12 what I believe I have been upgraded to) are online fine no bother.

However my ignition key ONLY has a license for Reason 7. To be honest, I like 6.5 so much and have used to so much I am very happy with 7 as it adds recycle built in functionality. I would rather give up Reason 6.5/11 and 12 and keep just 7.

The issue is I want to buy some rack extensions from you for 7. But it says I do not have a license for 7? But then I do as its on my ignition key somehow.

Please can you advise.

Regards,

(Me)

Here is a screeny of my licence page
LIcence EDIT.jpeg
LIcence EDIT.jpeg (190.33 KiB) Viewed 3568 times

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello ,

There are two different USB Ignition Keys here. The USB Ignition Key 2-2464672 that's connected to your computer in the screenshot you've sent is not the same USB Ignition Key 2-2385137 that your Reason 6 licence number is written to.

The USB Ignition Key 2-2464672 contains a Reason 7 licence registered to a Reason Studios account owned by someone else - this is why you're not able to see the details of the licence number written to this Ignition Key (i.e. that it's hidden).

Your Reason licence is registered to your Reason Studios account 'KK' and is authorised on your USB Ignition Key 2-2385137.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

How can this be?  I don't think anyone ever has had access to my ignition key ever.

There is only one single key here.  I do not have two keys and never ever have.   The single key I owned until last week (Where I bought a new copy of Reason 11 Suit) only had a licence for 6.5.  Nothing more.  Now that has vanished and 7 has appeared from nowhere?

Regards,

Klark Trent

28 Jan 2022

PS - I should add my online account that has licences for 6 and 12 is registered under my email address name shortened here to KK

And my actual name is Mark S. The name of the IK the licence for 7 is on

So these two different people PH has replied with are both me. I only have one account with PH.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2022

Did you have an account When you registrerad R5 and then made a new account when you registered Suite? Might explain the “other user”.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

28 Jan 2022

I had replied in your other thread...

You receive a free upgrade to R12 if you bought R11 new after May 1, 2021.

It's likely you also purchased R6 during the window to get R7 free and never realized it before?

I'm not sure I follow the other issues you are having.

orthodox
RE Developer

28 Jan 2022

The R6.5 license you had on your Ignition Key has converted to R7 probably due to a glitch. Maybe when you synced it to the account. It doesn't matter because you are not eligible for R7. So, now you have R6.5 and R12 (upgraded from R11 Suite) licenses on your account (I'm assuming these are shown on your product page), and these are the only three versions you can legally use. Not R7-8-9-10.

Klark Trent

28 Jan 2022

@MrFigg. Sorry it was that long ago when I first bought Reason 6 (When it was the latest version) I can't remember now how I originally registered 6. I do know when I reistered 11/12 it was done to the same account 6 was on. 7 just appeared. No one ever asked for 7 or anything.

@Joeyluck - Yes its possible 6 could have been upgraded to 7 but in all these years I have never ever noticed a 7 anywhere. Like I say its like it has dropped from the heavens as I have been wanting a copy of 7 or 8 for a while now. I have never had access to 7. Until I bought and registered 11 suit. But that seems somehow to be on a different account with the exact same email address one with my real namer and one with kk??? My head feels like it will explode ha

@Orthodox So realistic speaking I shouldn't be using 7?? Flippin heck!!! sick as!! Id gladly swap 11 suit and 12 for 7 anyday. You can have 6 too.

orthodox
RE Developer

28 Jan 2022

Could you snapshoot your products page on the site? Not ignition/computer keys, because they are derivatives. Like the one I posted before, with upgrade paths unfolded:
https://d.radikal.ru/d03/2201/8d/06b4dbc242c6.png

Klark Trent

28 Jan 2022

Sure mate. Ill do it now. Thankful for any help and getting this sorted.

LIcence EDIT.jpeg
LIcence EDIT.jpeg (63.39 KiB) Viewed 3506 times

orthodox
RE Developer

28 Jan 2022

I'd install R12/11 and just avoid using the 'distracting' features. It has also many small useful things like the improved browser, sequencer additions, dark theme, more colors and such.

arqui

28 Jan 2022

Hi
Try to Deautorize and autorize the ik in the web site, to reload the corresponding licenses again, if you have not already done so.
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

orthodox
RE Developer

28 Jan 2022

arqui wrote:
28 Jan 2022
Hi
Try to Deautorize and autorize the ik in the web site, to reload the corresponding licenses again, if you have not already done so.
I think it won't help, it was the reason why R7 appeared on the key. I'm guessing it happened when R7 was installed with its Authorizer, which wrote that R7 license on the key, because it makes relaxed checks on the account licenses.

Klark Trent

28 Jan 2022

Hi,

Why exactly did reason 7 appear on the key? It seems odd I want 7 or 8 and 7, I mean Id only just set up another thread asking if anyone would sel me it.

Then out of thin air it just magics itself onto my IK. Had I known I was being granted a wish that day Id have picked more selectively and asked for a million pound. Its highly coincidental don't you think. Very odd indeed

jam-s

28 Jan 2022

Are you 100% sure that you haven't accidentally swapped your IK with an IK of someone else at a gig or somewhere?

Klark Trent

28 Jan 2022

Mate I am 5000% certain.

I basically bought Reason 6 when it first came out. Preferred Ableton so stuck with that. Then I looked back into Reason a decade later. I had no clue I had a Reason account. I 'did' know I had a red peg that hung around the bottom of one of my studios cable boxes. So I dug that out.

I put it in and cant remember what order this happened in, logged into Reason website. I have had the same email addy for 25 years. So sure enough it sent a password around 3 months ago. I go online and I find I have a copy of reason 6. I then really fall in love with Reason 6. However I use slicing alot both in physical hardware (MPC chop shop) and Ableton (Slicing) I then realise Recycle isnt implemented in Reason till v7. So I join thios forum and ask for 7 or 8 (need 32 bit)

Anyhow have client in Brazil wanting to send a project so I buy 11 and get auto upgraded to 12. At this point only my IK stops my licence for 6.5. My IK has NEVER said I can run 11 or 12. And now as if by magic turn into 7.

This is my honest whole Reason story from start to finish. Im certain if required the Props could back me up re account activity matching dates and such I mention here.

The short of it is, I bought V6 when first out, never used it, IK lived in bottom of cable box with other (at time) useless objects, reinterested in Reason so bought 11, 7 appears on my IK.

Klark Trent

28 Jan 2022

The annoying thing is,

* I wanted a licence for 7 or 8. I even asked PH. Got told no, fair enough.
* Buy 11.
* 7 magically appearers and I'm over the moon thinking this is normal.
* I want to add reason extension to Reason 7 (More money for PH)
* Now I don't even own 7

pfft :puf_unhappy: :(

orthodox
RE Developer

28 Jan 2022

Did you download and install Reason 7? Did you notice R7 on your IK after that?
If so, it can be explained. You could as well install R8 and then find it on your key.

Klark Trent

28 Jan 2022

No I thought and tried that. Reason 8 being my holey grail ha.

I downloaded 8 and it wont work. I only downloaded 7 when I realised the license was on my IK. Fresh instal of Windows 7 X86 too. So its not like it could have been on there previously.

I gotta be honest, I want to be right with the PH and such, but I don't want to give up 7 here at all. I want to buy a few hundred quids worth of racks too.

orthodox
RE Developer

28 Jan 2022

Klark Trent wrote:
28 Jan 2022
I gotta be honest, I want to be right with the PH and such, but I don't want to give up 7 here at all. I want to buy a few hundred quids worth of racks too.
I'd recommend you once again consider using R12 or R11, especially if you're going to buy Rack Extensions. There's not many REs left that still support R7, most require R10 or higher.

jam-s

28 Jan 2022

orthodox wrote:
28 Jan 2022
I'd recommend you once again consider using R12 or R11, especially if you're going to buy Rack Extensions. There's not many REs left that still support R7, most require R10 or higher.
I also highly recommend this. Just use R11 and simply remove any VST scanning folders from your preferences. Then they won't show up in Reason and you can use it like you intend to do.

Klark Trent

28 Jan 2022

Thanks guys but no.

I have no interest in not being able to run ReBirth so not into 64 bit versions. VSTs a slippery slope where you buy 5 million to try and make up for your (my) lack of tallent, and being able to plug Reason in as a rack?? I get this is for everyone else but not me.

To me Reasons greatest strength was it was a closed eco system. Much Like ReBirth. Still to this day I am constantly surprised how much was rung from ReBirth. Mind blowing tracks I couldn't make with Reason 100. Its not the kit its the person. And honestly I had my everything I needed to excessive option anxiety ratio at 8. 8.1 to be exact.

Re the racks I downloaded BitSpeak and Dominator. There both waiting to be tried and then I had hoped bought but wont run becuase I do have a licence but dont ???

One last thing, if the Reason 7 licence isn't mine? Who the hells is it? They have the same name as me and Email addy and everything? If it turns out this 'is' a legit Reason 7 (That was automatically upgraded from 6 as my 11 was to 12) I would really really like to know, as then it solves all of my Reason problems. Bring on the racks. Again if it isn't mine, how the hell did it get on my IK?? One for Mulder and Skully?

orthodox
RE Developer

28 Jan 2022

Klark Trent wrote:
28 Jan 2022
Fresh instal of Windows 7 X86 too.
Just noticed this. So it's 32-bit? That's sad, the support was deprecated in R9, iirc.

Klark Trent

28 Jan 2022

8.2 mate

Klark Trent

28 Jan 2022

VST came in 9

Like I say my sweetspot 8.1

joeyluck

28 Jan 2022

I would believe at this point the only ones who can help you are Reason Studios. We can only speculate here as to why this or that has happened, but I'm afraid there isn't much more anybody here can offer. I am interested to hear how it turns out!

I understand being stuck behind on an older system. I remember when my powermac G4 Cube couldn't run Reason 6/Record very well! It was completely capable up until then... At the time I thought it was my forever computer lol. Some day at some point perhaps you will have upgraded and you'll have Reason 12 waiting for you. And maybe at that point every bug will be ironed out and all roadmap features introduced.

Like others have mentioned, you don't need to use VSTs. You'll have sequencer improvements like crossfades, automation curves, improved individual track zoom, multi-lane edit mode, etc. These aren't fancy features that bloat the software/workflow. They are basic DAW features and handy to have. I mean with Reason being developed pretty slowly and very particularly, that is one thing we for sure don't have—feature bloat.

orthodox
RE Developer

28 Jan 2022

Klark Trent wrote:
28 Jan 2022
I have no interest in not being able to run ReBirth so not into 64 bit versions. VSTs a slippery slope where you buy 5 million to try and make up for your (my) lack of tallent, and being able to plug Reason in as a rack?? I get this is for everyone else but not me.

To me Reasons greatest strength was it was a closed eco system. Much Like ReBirth. Still to this day I am constantly surprised how much was rung from ReBirth. Mind blowing tracks I couldn't make with Reason 100. Its not the kit its the person. And honestly I had my everything I needed to excessive option anxiety ratio at 8. 8.1 to be exact.
So it's ReBirth stopping the progress? Well that's too tough for me, I ran ReBirth once, I just couldn't write anything without sequencer lanes. I can understand refusing VST, I don't use them myself, so I also work in 'closed ecosystem'. The Rack Plugin is just there, I wouldn't know it was if I didn't use another DAW for mixing.

• Information