Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
SoundObjects

28 Jan 2021

can't use reason+ as it can't work fully offline.

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... n-offline-

Cause secuity risk I mostly have my DAW seperated from the internet and
only goes online shortly when I have to update RS or get a new RE.
(then using other computers for the internet)

Otherwise I maybe would have consider Reason+ ;)
The Universe Is Vibrating

elMisse

28 Jan 2021

I think this update is just silly, but maybe there are some who appreciate a subscription for the whole daw/sounds-package.

Applying constraints (limiting tools etc.) before starting to work, is one of the first advice for creativity in EVERY friggin' book about it.

Now, browsing the "new" sounds week after week.....

QVprod

28 Jan 2021

seqoi wrote:
28 Jan 2021
QVprod wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Putting an end to feature requests? One would think that a person paying a subscription would feel far more entitled to updates as they should vs people here so have payed for an as is product.
How did you made that leap? No wonder you are moderator.

Basically you are saying that customers money and their feature requests - which made Propellerheads exist in all these years - is less valuable then someone subscribing for a short period of time.

Nice one matte. I truly wish you everything best in life. I am not surprised at all at your forum position.
Yep misunderstanding. Joey and avasopht summed this up perfectly.

Thanks guys!

hiroshima

28 Jan 2021

unless i am doing something wrong, you cannot even download rack extensions as trial anymore !

also, new here. greetings !

QVprod

28 Jan 2021

Canister wrote:
28 Jan 2021
joeyluck wrote:
28 Jan 2021

I think you're misunderstanding. When someone buys a license, such as Reason 11, they are paying for that product as is. You expect bugs to be fixed and if new features are added, it's a bonus, but not an expectation. When you subscribe to something, it is more expected that you see new things offered to keep you subscribing.

So if I buy a Lord of the Rings DVD, that's what I have. I can watch the same movie over and over...maybe I buy the next movie in the trilogy. If I subscribe to Netflix, I expect to not be streaming the same shows and movies every month. I expect new content. I can't expect a DVD to constantly offer me new content and features. I already got exactly what I paid for from that DVD.
Such a silly analogy. So each time you open your licensed DAW you expect the same results? Good one, not. " I can't expect a DVD to constantly offer me new content and features" So what content are we getting exactly other than 3 free refills a week as nothing has been clarified other than that.
Actually, yes I do expect the same results when I open a DAW. To have the same access to every feature or function that was included in the purchase. Reason + is more than just 3 packs every week (in addition to the many packs already in companion). Subscribers also get the latest version of Reason and every RE that RS has made and ever will make.

If you’re on R11 and own all the RE you want, then it’s understandable that you may not see much value at this point. A newer or a returning user may see things differently though. Service just launched though. Seeing as April is the cut off for the deal price, I’m sure you’ll see more value added sooner than later.

MaMue

28 Jan 2021

In the end its very simple if you push all this marketing - subscription stuff aside:

Is it:

1. a good core product ?
2. is it not (not developed further and doesnt interact with its user base)?

You cannot be succesful without a good product in the long run, so reason12 will be a very important point, because people are at the limit with their tolerance, like the videos yesterday proofed. People are frustrated about the companys philosophy just not listening to us users.

I hope they just stop feeding us with more and more marketing, sounds and stuff and just concentrate on a good core product again.

It can't be that difficult to listen to the user's, can't be?

Barriott

28 Jan 2021

I purchased suite. Just checking im not being stoopid. Other than getting friktion and pattern mutator I'd be subscribing for the refill packs? I'm really not interested in the packs. Does anyone know if the hi Res update will be free for reason suite users or is that gonna be just for the subscription lot? Man. This is such a weird turn of events. I'm pretty disappointed. Just seems like an almighty cash grab to me

doze

28 Jan 2021

Barriott wrote:
28 Jan 2021
I purchased suite. Just checking im not being stoopid. Other than getting friktion and pattern mutator I'd be subscribing for the refill packs? I'm really not interested in the packs. Does anyone know if the hi Res update will be free for reason suite users or is that gonna be just for the subscription lot? Man. This is such a weird turn of events. I'm pretty disappointed. Just seems like an almighty cash grab to me
It sounds like the next update will be part of the subscription, and available as an upgrade (not update) for regular users. The suite was just a catchup pack for people who didn't have reason studios REs...

Reasonable man

28 Jan 2021

75% are not even interested in trying this (including myself). Simiilar figures on social media and livestream (which should never have happened). Thats a wrap in any communcation.
Reason 12 ..will there be any workflow and midi updates to aid music production? I think so ..and some of us are waiting since Reason 10 for that!

doze

28 Jan 2021

The subscription isn't worth it for existing reason peeps who have a lot or all of the reason studios REs... and the sound packs, if released in that frequency are surely going to turn to audible diarrhea real quick...

MaMue

28 Jan 2021

@ Reasonstudios

LiSTEN MORE TO YOUR USER'S !

NO MORE SOUNDS, REFILLS OR FANCY NEW PLAYERS!!!! WE NEED A MUCH BETTER DAW FUNCTIONALITY & INNOVATIONS (Combinator 2, Controller,..)!!!

PLEEEEEAAAAASSSSEE NO MORE FAST FOOD!!! TURN BACK 180° AND REMEBER WHATS MAKING REASON UNIQUE BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!
Last edited by MaMue on 28 Jan 2021, edited 4 times in total.

BonsaiMacKay

28 Jan 2021

Hmm... 🤔
antic604 wrote:
01 Jan 2021
Well, well! That's really great to hear & makes me hopeful & eagerly looking to the future! :clap:

jamespember wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Hi there :)

One might say corporate fluff, but let me explain how we are thinking about this.

Reason has struggled of recent times to break out of our niche. We have a very loyal and engaged audience (this thread is evidence of that), but we have struggled to attract new users. There are a variety of reasons for that (which we can go into at another time) but one of the things we think is really holding Reason back is the way we talk about it. Making music isn't about the gear. And we think we've talked too much about the gear in our marketing. Reason+ is an attempt to look up a little, and realise that making music is about being creative and expressing yourself.

And we think Reason's BIG superpower, compared to say, Splice or Arcade is that Reason is a sound design machine. The best music has always been unique, and we think Reason can give a music maker the tools to sound unique, hence Sound Like You.

Perhaps my "marketing" hat is sitting a little too tight, but I do believe this and think Reason+ can vastly expand the number of Reason users out there. And that can ONLY be a good thing for you all, the hardcore fans who want us to invest more in the core product.

ksniod

28 Jan 2021

Until now, they generally added some stuff (a player, a synth...) to a Reason update as an incentive for us to upgrade (some might say because of the lack of improvements in the core features...)

What would from now on refrain them to offer "only" daw improvements in future Reason version update for the "standard" buyers, stop adding new plugins in the "core daw" and keep them separate, as in incentive to subscribe (or buy them separately)?

If this happens, things about updates would be different than it's been until now for "standard buyers", with less value at each update

antic604

28 Jan 2021

ksniod wrote:
28 Jan 2021
If this happens, things about updates would be different than it's been until now for "standard buyers", with less value at each update
It would be completely the other way around for me - I'd prefer to get folder tracks, upgraded blocks mode or MPE support rather than a new device I might not be interested in at all.

I'd actually love them to go that road - put new devices in Shop and "+", focus on new & improved features for Reason DAW.

Hell, that would actually even encourage me to buy new REs again! I'm not planning on getting "+" ever, so if I knew the new RE synth to be launched in March won't end up in Reason 12 or 13 for free, I'd just go out and get it.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604

28 Jan 2021

BonsaiMacKay wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Hmm... 🤔
It's not necessarily a contradiction.

Many more people - technically "current users" - could've upgraded to 11 than previously upgraded to 9 or 10, to:
- finally be able to leave Reason for another DAW & take their RE & native toys with them
- upgrade an old license that was collecting dust, to access the native & RE devices in DAW they've been using
- get lots of great REs for cheap in Suite bundle
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Heigen5

28 Jan 2021

Hey, can I subscribe for lets say month, then cancel it and THEN pay an annual right after cancelling a month plan?

4filegate

28 Jan 2021

According to my mathematics, it does not (so far so good and ride my paid R 10), robots ride camels.
In the live chat noticed, “the Reason Community” being called “the internet”.

BonsaiMacKay

28 Jan 2021

antic604 wrote:
28 Jan 2021
BonsaiMacKay wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Hmm... 🤔
It's not necessarily a contradiction.

Many more people - technically "current users" - could've upgraded to 11 than previously upgraded to 9 or 10, to:
- finally be able to leave Reason for another DAW & take their RE & native toys with them
- upgrade an old license that was collecting dust, to access the native & RE devices in DAW they've been using
- get lots of great REs for cheap in Suite bundle
I don't know anything, I just find it funny that a company claims that a new generation of musicians have joined, all-time high sales record, etc., and a few weeks later claims they have struggled to attract new users. Just spotted that and it made me laugh. But I don't care what Marketing Pete says and that doesn't affect me. It is just funny.

ksniod

28 Jan 2021

antic604 wrote:
28 Jan 2021
ksniod wrote:
28 Jan 2021
It would be completely the other way around for me - I'd prefer to get folder tracks, upgraded blocks mode or MPE support rather than a new device I might not be interested in at all.

I'd actually love them to go that road - put new devices in Shop and "+", focus on new & improved features for Reason DAW.

Hell, that would actually even encourage me to buy new REs again! I'm not planning on getting "+" ever, so if I knew the new RE synth to be launched in March won't end up in Reason 12 or 13 for free, I'd just go out and get it.
I might agree, if that really means they focus more on important improvements in the core daw.
I'm ok to trust them on this, let's see.

guitfnky

28 Jan 2021

Reasonable man wrote:
28 Jan 2021
75% are not even interested in trying this (including myself). Simiilar figures on social media and livestream (which should never have happened). Thats a wrap in any communcation.
Reason 12 ..will there be any workflow and midi updates to aid music production? I think so ..and some of us are waiting since Reason 10 for that!
that number is likely very skewed. their target audience is those who don’t already have any Reason license. almost everyone here (and in user groups elsewhere and on social media) already have licenses, so it makes sense that Reason+ isn’t that interesting for the vast majority of us. but even if that number were accurate, 25% is a significant potential audience.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

exxx

28 Jan 2021

Paying for an update is not simply reporting the content on the day of the update.

With the accumulated experience, the company continues its business and makes a paid update when it feels that it consistently provides attractive benefits.

But what about Reason Studio? They make high resolution support and vst3 or so updates. And will they show off like they did something great in the live stream? Looking at the history of their support for users, will our wallet open?

Gothi

28 Jan 2021

Good morning (depending on where you are in the world). So after the ride yesterday, I feel settled today. I need to keep things simple and straightforward, so I will just line up a few points as to how I understand the deal:

1. RS is not going to cancel my licenses to what I already own and start to extort me on a monthly basis. That would certainly have been a public business suicide if they did, but true paranoia knows of no limits.

2. The new subscription model has not anything to offer Suit owners, especially not me, because I already vacuum-cleaned the shop for every RE I could possibly want. Actually, the kind-of-silly 50% offer tells me RS knows that. They have nothing to offer, but for the sake of order, we get some symbolic recognition. Obviously, Suit owners are not the target group. Newcomers and entry levelers are.

3. I find no reason to predict Ragnarok from here. I see no straight line from this move to forced subscriptions as far as R13 or R14 goes. This is pure conjecture, and Paranoia has already had his saying (that stalking pr*ck).

4. I have no problems with RS trying to make profit from their great product. No one ever fooled me to believe they are a charity organization. As long as subscription is a choice, any pain in the arse on behalf of upcoming subscribers seems pretty hypotethical (as well as hysterical).

So that's that, unless I have missed something?

In other words: It is all fine with me, RS. Keep up the good work. Going from 6.5. to 11 was a blast to me. The slam of Mjølnir, the precision of Gungnir, the wisdom of Odin and the grace of Freya.

Hail
Last edited by Gothi on 28 Jan 2021, edited 2 times in total.

DecafDreams

28 Jan 2021

elMisse wrote:
28 Jan 2021
Applying constraints (limiting tools etc.) before starting to work, is one of the first advice for creativity in EVERY friggin' book about it.
This. Reason+ is like some sort of credit card. You get an amazing feel upfront because you spent £20 on the first month and you got loads to play with. But with each passing month you're being more and more shafted by a financial arrangement that is not good for you, regardless of what the marketing spin says. At the same time you're simultaneously being forced to buy into a post-modern idea of creativity that isn't really about proper creativity at all.

Ad0

28 Jan 2021

groggy1 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I would figure that if you outright buy Reason12, then any new features that come out until Reason13 would be given to you for free, and delivered on the same exact day as folks that are signed-up for subscription get it. Once Reason13 comes out, if you choose NOT to buy it, I imagine you stop getting new features. So pretty much what stp2015 said. But who knows for sure? :)
I am pretty sure it will be the same as before. Again the sub seems to be an addition. It seems mostly focused on REs and the preset packs.
Also it would be more complicated for Reason Studios to have a totally different logic for people who paid for it cash to deny them updates. That would be nuts :)

DaveyG

28 Jan 2021

So someone asked about how the launch and reception of Reason+ compared with the launch of Presonus Spehere (their new subscription service).

Well, there were two absolutely massive differences:

1. They launched Sphere at the same time as launching Studio One V5 so there was something new for everyone rather than established users feeling a bit left out.

2. And this is the really big one. At launch, Sphere required users to connect online at least every three days. Some users complained about this citing unreliable internet connections, offline studios and the need to work anywhere regardless of internet connection. And guess what. Presonus listened and change the requirement to every 30 days. When was the last time Reason Studios made any changes based on user feedback???

You reap what you sow.

• Information