The best workflow enhancement I've ever come up with. What are yours?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EdGrip

13 Jan 2020

You know you can get the trackpad separately, right?

groggy1

14 Jan 2020

esselfortium wrote:
11 Jan 2020
Hold shift when dragging a rack device to automatically re-route it to where you're dragging it, so you don't have to spend time plugging and unplugging the audio cables manually. This one ought to be loudly announced somewhere in the GUI because I keep encountering people who've used this program since dinosaur times without knowing about it.
Nice one. Didn't know this, but always wondered why it didn't work this way even though I kept yelling at the screen.

Proboscis

16 Jan 2020

reddust wrote:
13 Jan 2020
Alt + click on fold instruments in the rack or tracks in the sequencer to fold/unfold all of them at once
AH yes, that is a CRITICAL command everyone should know.

I really wish they extended that command to the browser window, it would be especially useful for patch folders that have a lot of subcategories.

Proboscis

16 Jan 2020

There was a thread from a couple months back discussing Tuners, and a few people expressed surprise to know that Reason has one.

When an active rack device is selected,

Ctrl+F3 opens a pop up tuner.

You may need to press the tuning fork icon to activate it. By default it a recording meter display, but the the tuning fork will open the tuner right below.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

17 Jan 2020

Like others have said, the best enhancements are memorizing the shortcut keys. Also I like that Corsair gaming mouse that Edgrip linked to....

PhillipOrdonez

17 Jan 2020

craste wrote:
11 Jan 2020
I'd like to link the bellow to the two puttons on the side of my mouse, how would I go about doing this?

F6 key brings up the rack
F7 key brings up the sequencer
Get a free program called X mouse button control. I'm not sure if it will work on Mac though.

You can map the scroll button as well (it can be clicked), plus that program let's you map more than one command per button, so no need for a new mouse; each button can have like 3 different functions (click, it will do f5, hold for x milliseconds, it will do control c, a little longer, and it will do control v, for example) you got to think well about what commands you set each button). The right click button can also be at to different functions depending your chosen amount of milliseconds. I love the middle button set to delete.

GRIFTY

17 Jan 2020

I use an audio splitter to split off the main signal from Reason into the sampling input. This way, any sound that gets made within Reason, I can just immediately hit the "sample" button in Kong, etc, and have it cued up.

craste

18 Jan 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
17 Jan 2020
craste wrote:
11 Jan 2020
I'd like to link the bellow to the two puttons on the side of my mouse, how would I go about doing this?

F6 key brings up the rack
F7 key brings up the sequencer
Get a free program called X mouse button control. I'm not sure if it will work on Mac though.

You can map the scroll button as well (it can be clicked), plus that program let's you map more than one command per button, so no need for a new mouse; each button can have like 3 different functions (click, it will do f5, hold for x milliseconds, it will do control c, a little longer, and it will do control v, for example) you got to think well about what commands you set each button). The right click button can also be at to different functions depending your chosen amount of milliseconds. I love the middle button set to delete.
Virtual Pint of beer sent to you mate, this is brilliant - thank you ever so much!
Works like a dream!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

18 Jan 2020

Nothing fancy.

For me it's probably F5, F6, F7. Just switching between the different windows quickly. I can't stand having them all visable at the same time.
Also P. Just mark the part/block you want looped and press P. It's so much faster than moving the left and right loop markers by hand.

PhillipOrdonez

18 Jan 2020

craste wrote:
18 Jan 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
17 Jan 2020

Virtual Pint of beer sent to you mate, this is brilliant - thank you ever so much!
Works like a dream!
Thanks for the virtual gluten free pint of beer, mate! Glad I could help! :)

EdGrip

19 Jan 2020

FWIW, I think the on-mouse shortcut button I use most is tab/flip the rack. (Another good reason to learn the keyboard shortcuts - you'll know which ones you use most if you have limited spare mouse buttons to spend!)

groggy1

20 Jan 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Jan 2020
Nothing fancy.

For me it's probably F5, F6, F7. Just switching between the different windows quickly. I can't stand having them all visable at the same time.
Also P. Just mark the part/block you want looped and press P. It's so much faster than moving the left and right loop markers by hand.
Yes, P is brilliantly fast way to loop a section.
If someone told me I needed a monthly subscription just for P & Z, I'd probably give-in eventually

nooomy

20 Jan 2020

Loque wrote:
11 Jan 2020
Curved automation lines and multiple lane editing at once. Was waiting too long for such simple features.
I have never used curved automation lines. How do you use them, when and for what?

Loque

21 Jan 2020

nooomy wrote:
20 Jan 2020
Loque wrote:
11 Jan 2020
Curved automation lines and multiple lane editing at once. Was waiting too long for such simple features.
I have never used curved automation lines. How do you use them, when and for what?
I uee them mostly for filter, MW and PB automation to get the right flow into it compared to linear automation. You need Reason 11 for it.
Reason12, Win10

tobypearce

31 Jan 2020

Curved automation is excellent. A real time saver. Filter sweeps are much easier to make sound exactly how you want them: curves can sound both more natural and interesting than a straight line.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

selig
RE Developer

31 Jan 2020

Proboscis wrote:
16 Jan 2020
There was a thread from a couple months back discussing Tuners, and a few people expressed surprise to know that Reason has one.

You may need to press the tuning fork icon to activate it. By default it a recording meter display, but the the tuning fork will open the tuner right below.
AND, there is also a tuner in every audio track in the sequencer as well, when record enabled (again, click on the tuning fork icon).
Selig Audio, LLC

Heigen5

31 Jan 2020

selig wrote:
31 Jan 2020
Proboscis wrote:
16 Jan 2020

AND, there is also a tuner in every audio track in the sequencer as well, when record enabled (again, click on the tuning fork icon).
That's what I've always used, didn't know about the pop-up one though.

tobypearce

06 Feb 2020

Selig you're quite right - Z key!
How is it I've been using Reason pretty much since version 3 and never got that one inside my skin.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

06 Feb 2020

The best workflow enhancer for me was introducing autohotkey scripts alongside reason. From accelerating project navigation to better integrate my surfaces to quickly export a song between locators and converting it to mp3, autosaves, etc... I have a multitude of functions! Of course a lot of the keyboard enhancers you talk about are at use for the automation to occur.

It has improved the "console" feel a lot!!!

PS. : if you're interested in seeing it in action you can see my video about it here:

aeox
Competition Winner

06 Feb 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
13 Jan 2020
EdGrip wrote:
11 Jan 2020
...even more basically but maybe it needs saying, who knows:
Use a mouse. Don't use the trackpad on your laptop. They are the WORST input device for productivity, despite what anyone's marketing department might have us believe.
Nah. For +10 years I've been producing with mouse at work, trackpad at home. Trackpad wins, no question
In what way?

tobypearce

16 Feb 2020

Another new one for me today.
I never realised that you can create a new instrument or an effect via the help menu (at least on a Mac).
If you know what you're looking for, you can simply type the name into the help search and click enter - then it appears in the rack.

If you use the normal way - in the browser search, you have to select instrument or effect first, so this saves a quick step. Also, since you can assign a keyboard shortcut to help, it's possible to create a new plugin instance from the keyboard alone.

plaamook

16 Feb 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
13 Jan 2020
Trackpad wins, no question
Absolutement. Apple track pad with or without BTT is a game changer.

On a laptop it's like you've got the whole thing right in your hands somehow with all the gestures you can program etc.
Last edited by plaamook on 16 Feb 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

plaamook

16 Feb 2020

On a mac you can customise key commands System Pref>Keyboard>Shortcuts>App Shortcuts.
You can load any dropdown command from any list as a key command. Changed everything for me.
Moved f4,5,6 to easier commands, etc. Have commands forall sorts of things.
(Thanks again Mathias!...)
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

BRIGGS

16 Feb 2020

Because, mice are a drag. :puf_smile:
r11s

selig
RE Developer

16 Feb 2020

plaamook wrote:
16 Feb 2020
On a mac you can customise key commands System Pref>Keyboard>Shortcuts>App Shortcuts.
You can load any dropdown command from any list as a key command. Changed everything for me.
Moved f4,5,6 to easier commands, etc. Have commands forall sorts of things.
(Thanks again Mathias!...)
Oh yea - I’ve been doing this for so long I’d forgotten about it!
If I sat down at someone else’s setup I’d be lost...
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information