Scales and Chords question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Nielsen

26 Apr 2018

So I'm currently playing around with the Scales and Chords player device. I'm only wondering why the C Major chord starting at B isn't B Diminished, which consists of the notes B D F. Instead Scales and Chords makes it a chord consisting of the notes B D G - i.e. Bm#5 according to screen on the device. Various sources around the internet suggest that B Diminished is part of the C Major scale, so why does it behave differently when using Scales and Chords? Is there a way to make it recognize B Diminished (B D F)?

cognitive

26 Apr 2018

Since so much music is I-IV-V with a couple of minors thrown in, the algorithm is probably assuming that your intent is to play an inversion of the V chord (G), based on your C Major center. Bm#5 = Gmaj

I haven't found a mode that preserves triads up and down the scale, other than chromatic, and that isn't what you want either. Even a custom scale seems to do the same thing.

Maybe a Reason-head with more extensive Scales and Chords experience can chime in on this. I would be interested in a workaround too.

normen

26 Apr 2018

The Scales and Chords thingymajib seems to work based on a relatively rigid classical interpretation of harmony theory. There is also no "sus" chords - they technically don't really exist in classical music theory either. So I guess it's more meant for a functional approach?

Reasonable man

26 Apr 2018

I think its cause the Aflat In the b diminished chord fits outside the realm of c major and it only allows for notes that are strictly speaking in the c major realm. The chord generated is therefore a compromise. I have yet to delve into it deep enough but i think if you put a note echo player device underneath it and automate the bypass switch on when you hit a b (bass) note then both devices combined should generate i a b diminished chord . The note echo device would have to be set on pitch = +3 and the other two knobs on 1. But i have yet to try it and there is probably and easier way!

PortendingHonor

27 Apr 2018

Thankfully, it can make custom chords.

Lov2sing

28 Apr 2018

:ugeek: If I would change or create a new chord player it would have to follow the likes of the Midi VST' players like Scaler, Insta chord, Captain chords and Scale Player. They are players which have multiple syncpation playing abilities while Reason only has a single strike upon the chord; which is static without their humanizing functions. The other function needed would be to have a chord progression feature based on circle of 5ths, 4ths or other music theory progressions. A neat feature would allow us to replace a chord by highlighting it and have a chord menu to choose from. Other than that I am not complaining the players have helped me create. We just need to see a few more features within the player Rack. Maybe on this update; however, if Props does not want to invest in that right now then they only have to give some of the midi functions that Live and FL Studio possess. Either case it would be a welcome change. Oh yeah! A personal want of mine is having ghost notes, that too would be nice.
We make music for a reason

cognitive

28 Apr 2018

As an alternative, there is an RE in the shop called ChordSet that allows for 12 custom chords per preset, each mapped to a key within a single octave. It also has a "humanize" function that adds some randomness to each note strike, which is especially nice for piano sounds. There is also a variable "strum" setting.

AutoTheory does a lot of the same (and more), but this has a more basic UI and might be worth a look for a "quick fix" if you just want to trigger a set of custom chords.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-extension/chordset/

Marco Raaphorst

28 Apr 2018

In C major B is half diminished (B-7b5)

WongoTheSane

28 Apr 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
28 Apr 2018
In Scales & Chords, the fifth is augmented instead of diminished (i.e. it's not a B diminished at all, just a G in first inversion). In the same way, in a minor scale, the ii is a #5 instead of a ° (effectively a seventh in first inversion).

Marco Raaphorst

28 Apr 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
28 Apr 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
28 Apr 2018
In Scales & Chords, the fifth is augmented instead of diminished (i.e. it's not a B diminished at all, just a G in first inversion). In the same way, in a minor scale, the ii is a #5 instead of a ° (effectively a seventh in first inversion).
Weird, wrong naming. 7th chord in major scale is half diminished.

Reason flaw.

WongoTheSane

28 Apr 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
28 Apr 2018
WongoTheSane wrote:
28 Apr 2018

Reason flaw.
I have a vague recollection that this was a design choice. They might have considered that the target audience for that particular device wasn't keyboard (or theory) savvy enough to know how to handle diminished chords, and that it would be easier for them to turn those chords into either a dominant or a subtonic. Don't quote me on that though, there might be another better reason...

Marco Raaphorst

29 Apr 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
28 Apr 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
28 Apr 2018

Reason flaw.
I have a vague recollection that this was a design choice. They might have considered that the target audience for that particular device wasn't keyboard (or theory) savvy enough to know how to handle diminished chords, and that it would be easier for them to turn those chords into either a dominant or a subtonic. Don't quote me on that though, there might be another better reason...
I have a fague memory about this as well.

Still weird desicion. I am a guitar player. The 7th step chord in major is half diminished. Standard music theory.

Sometimes the Props make weird descions 😎

• Information