Using a controller fader to sweep notes?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Advanced Suite
Competition Winner

09 Dec 2017

Is there an Re or a way in Reason to create sweeps through scales using a fader, knob Etc.

Maybe even possibly sweep the entire keyboard?

What I’m looking for is note on note off information sent to a fader. So I can make lush scale sweeps
Last edited by Advanced Suite on 09 Dec 2017, edited 1 time in total.

normen

09 Dec 2017

Sure, any of the CV tuning REs will do.Just route a knobs CV signal through one of them and then connect it as note CV to some instrument. Make sure you also generate a gate signal somehow.

CaliforniaBurrito

09 Dec 2017

normen wrote:
09 Dec 2017
Sure, any of the CV tuning REs will do.Just route a knobs CV signal through one of them and then connect it as note CV to some instrument. Make sure you also generate a gate signal somehow.
CV Tuner is just a tuner but a sweep can be done in conjunction with other devices in the chain. I'd recommend the Lectric Panda PSQ-1684 which has a range knob that can be automated in the quantizer. Here is something I did the other day - all CV of course.

normen

09 Dec 2017

CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
09 Dec 2017
CV Tuner is just a tuner but a sweep can be done in conjunction with other devices in the chain. I'd recommend the Lectric Panda PSQ-1684 which has a range knob that can be automated in the quantizer. Here is something I did the other day - all CV of course.
Sure theres many ways to generate "tuned" CV but wasn't the request that the source for the sweep is a knob or fader?

CaliforniaBurrito

09 Dec 2017

normen wrote:
09 Dec 2017
Sure theres many ways to generate "tuned" CV but wasn't the request that the source for the sweep is a knob or fader?
The PSQ has a knob literally called "range" that can sweep through octaves.

CaliforniaBurrito

09 Dec 2017

Oops maybe in my drunken stupor I mixed up scales with octaves. :lol: Well you can define the "scale" in the PSQ quantizer as well and then sweep through octaves. There is also an "offset" knob in PSQ but this might not be theoretically correct to what is trying to be accomplished. Maybe a solution would be to chain a bunch of PSQ devices together and sweep through them? :) The problem I have with the Ochen K CV tuner is there is not much inversion control.

Advanced Suite
Competition Winner

09 Dec 2017

normen wrote:
09 Dec 2017
Thank you both for the tips.
I guess I am a little confused how to get note information on a fader?

normen

09 Dec 2017

Advanced Suite wrote:
09 Dec 2017
Thank you both for the tips.
I guess I am a little confused how to get note information on a fader?
You just need CV, lots of knobs in Reason have a CV out. Note information is the same as any CV, just that its specific values. The plugin I linked "snaps" the values of any incoming CV to those values, based on a set scale.

CaliforniaBurrito

09 Dec 2017

You can sweep through "scales" as you say by throwing the Ochen K CV Tuner in a Combinator and then mapping a knob to that parameter. Am I missing something?

normen

09 Dec 2017

CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
09 Dec 2017
You can sweep through "scales" as you say by throwing the Ochen K CV Tuner in a Combinator and then mapping a knob to that parameter. Am I missing something?
I don't know. I am talking about taking a vanilla CV signal out of ANY knob or CV generator. Then routing it through CV Tuner so that its not a continuous CV signal anymore but snaps to note values. And then using that CV signal to route it into an instruments "note" CV input, using another gate signal to trigger notes.

CaliforniaBurrito

09 Dec 2017

normen wrote:
09 Dec 2017
I don't know. I am talking about taking a vanilla CV signal out of ANY knob or CV generator. Then routing it through CV Tuner so that its not a continuous CV signal anymore but snaps to note values. And then using that CV signal to route it into an instruments "note" CV input, using another gate signal to trigger notes.
Oh I get it now. You think note on/note off is a matter of gating and I think it is a matter of different note selection. I've often automated specific notes in the CV Tuner to be on/off with a continuous signal just to change the flow of a composition - not to necessarily gate the notes.

CaliforniaBurrito

09 Dec 2017

Ok this is my last post and then I will have had too many sips of beer. How about routing into PSQ to control the octave RANGE and then route from the PSQ to Ochen K CV Tuner to sweep through the SCALE! I hope by scale you mean locrian, aeolian, mixolydian, phrygian (my favorite), etc. etc. because that's what scale means to me. These values are straightforwardly automatable so you can map them directly to a controller knob! Otherwise I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about! :D

normen

09 Dec 2017

I don't know, heres a combinator where you can play through all notes in a set scale just using the mod wheel:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ok9eek1sder28 ... e.cmb?dl=1

Advanced Suite
Competition Winner

09 Dec 2017

One scale isn’t enough. :P

Thank you Normen and Californiaburrito I truly appreciate your help with this. After digging a bit more around the shop I ran across this little beauty. I had bought it a long time ago and forgot all about it.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... h-surface/

I opened it in Reason and after combining it I was able to route all information to one knob on the combinator Making it possible to sweep though 3 octaves in a specific scale. Only using one knob/fader.

• Information