Propellerhead Releases Reason 10

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
selig
RE Developer

25 Oct 2017

Equalizer wrote:
25 Oct 2017
You guys do realize that there are Reason users besides mrmiyagi who are NOT satisfied with Propellerhead's synths? There are lots of us out there, but only a few of us choose to voice our very loud opinions here at this magnificent place.

Cuz who knows, maybe just MAYBE someone at Propellerhead is actually listening to us.
I assumed those folks either used another DAW or VSTs - why use synths you're not satisfied with, right?

And I'm sure you realize there are Reason users besides myself who ARE satisfied with Propellerhead's synths? I would assume those folks are too busy making music to voice their loud opinions here at this magnificent place.

Thanks for the kind words!
Selig Audio, LLC

sublunar

25 Oct 2017

Equalizer wrote:
25 Oct 2017
Oh really now...my PM to you was merely to show you that your over-zealous Reason evangelism may not actually be as popular as you think it is, based on this forum post which yielded ZERO responses:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7503690&p=358047&hi ... ew#p358047
What a lame attempt at pointing out how unpopular his love for Reason is. Because a thread about a review got no comments. LOL Way to show him. Meanwhile, I just bought and downloaded 10, like a bunch of other people have. Yeah there's things I wish they'd fix, but I'm getting along just fine. I skipped version 9. And 7.

My only complaint so far is the Allihoopa logo on the transport. Get that shit outta here!

Kenni
Site Admin

25 Oct 2017

Equalizer wrote:Oh really now...my PM to you was merely to show you that your over-zealous Reason evangelism may not actually be as popular as you think it is, based on this forum post which yielded ZERO responses:

I'm all for improving this software. I think people like yourself do more harm than good. I want Propellerhead to actually listen to us and not just be given "everything is ok we'll buy anything you put out" pats on the back. When valid criticism hits these boards it is consistently met by name-calling and put downs, where it is normal to berate the criticizer. It's not right.

We have a right to complain without being attacked.

Or do we not?

Mods?
Indeed.

If people can actually do it without the subtle condescending tone towards those who don't agree. A thing that's been proven to be quite hard for most. Let's see how you handle it from now on.

Sendt fra min SM-G950F med Tapatalk

Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

selig
RE Developer

25 Oct 2017

Equalizer wrote:
25 Oct 2017
Oh really now...my PM to you was merely to show you that your over-zealous Reason evangelism may not actually be as popular as you think it is, based on this forum post which yielded ZERO responses:

I'm all for improving this software. I think people like yourself do more harm than good. I want Propellerhead to actually listen to us and not just be given "everything is ok we'll buy anything you put out" pats on the back. When valid criticism hits these boards it is consistently met by name-calling and put downs, where it is normal to berate the criticizer. It's not right.

We have a right to complain without being attacked.

Or do we not?

Mods?
Here!

For the record…I complain about Reason's many problems all the time, and I'm a mod here. Not sure your point?

As someone who's participated in the name calling and put downs, I find it "interesting" you complain about that here. It's not right, I agree, which is why you have a warning!

Funny - I complain about Reason all the time and have never been "attacked" - maybe it's just you?

[also for the record, I'm pissed off this update doesn't include any workflow/sequencer/mixer improvements - my approach is to let the Props know how I feel in a polite professional (I hope) manner.]
Selig Audio, LLC

tiker01

25 Oct 2017

Equalizer, why on earth you have to do this again and again?

Just let it go man!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

sublunar

25 Oct 2017

selig wrote:
25 Oct 2017
Funny - I complain about Reason all the time and have never been "attacked" - maybe it's just you?
This.

I hate the color choices, the audio editing, various MIDI/sequencer limitations. But I love Reason. Just because we like Reason doesn't mean we think it's perfect.

I've used Ableton, Audition, Cubase, Pro Tools, Reaper, Sonar, Traktion, and they all aren't half as fun, to me, as Reason. So here I am.

Electric-Metal

25 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
25 Oct 2017
selig wrote:
25 Oct 2017
This.

I hate the color choices, the audio editing, various MIDI/sequencer limitations. But I love Reason. Just because we like Reason doesn't mean we think it's perfect.

I've used Ableton, Audition, Cubase, Pro Tools, Reaper, Sonar, Traktion, and they all aren't half as fun, to me, as Reason. So here I am.
+1000 :thumbs_up:

Couldn't have explained better, thanks.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

selig
RE Developer

25 Oct 2017

In fact, and to stay on topic and comment on R10, I think the SoundIron devices are a total waste of time and space. Totally useless to me. Maybe some will love them, but I would much rather have had my LONG list of missing basic features addressed than had the Props waste their development time on these useless devices!

There, I've complained (again). Now bring on the attacks!!!
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

ireground

25 Oct 2017

I have to admit, I was an insistent "batch" on the Props forum when Reason 8 came out. I thought it was the lamest update ever, and I'd probably never upgrade Reason again. But frankly, you guys have redeemed yourselves with this one. I've been playing with it only a few minutes, and I'm already impressed. The new devices sound amazing. I'm really digging the "World Music Series". A lot of people ridiculed them, but I think they sound awesome and can get some use in any genre of music you might be creating. So now that you have some more "soundtrack" oriented devices, how about some video support in the next update? And a better sequencer?
Anyway, good job guys. This update brings me back to Reason (yup, double meaning intended).

Props to the Props.

chaosroyale

25 Oct 2017

"Selig: the thinking mans Equalizer" (sorry). Really though, I feel for some of the noisier "anti" posters, because I agree with the core of what they want to say, and to be honest I'm not sure I could say it much better.

If Props hadn't announced 10 as a "big" upgrade I think there would be less controversy.

"Reason 10: its been a few years so this time we've concentrated on bringing you 2 new synths!" - "oh, ok, that's cool I guess"

-then they could spend the rest of their time on the much-needed engine/gui/feature updates.

As it is, I think I'll be skipping 10 unless I REALLY can't live without grain.

Equalizer

25 Oct 2017

Ok Selig, you know that's not fair. Take your moderator label off, give yourself a new name, then say that exactly how you just did. Then let's see what reaction you get.

If my tone is so "subtle" and it affects you so much that I get a warning for it, could it be that maybe you're just a tad bit too sensitive? I mean, particularly since I haven't called anyone any names.

Bottom line is, I'll be here as long as I am a Reason user. I'll keep calling out the Props my way, not the way you want me to do it. But if you guys would like to put together a fund to get me out of here, then I am all for it.

So back on topic - and I apologize for my subtle condescending tone - Reason 10 is a horrible update for me because I am an experienced Reason user who has enough synths and samples and who was looking forward to Propellerhead adding features and functions that have been missing from Reason for years. Europa is already an outdated sounding synth because as usual, the Props chose to handicap their synths with sound fidelity crippling CPU optimizations. The 3 romplers ARE "a total waste of time and space" (c) Selig - and their time should have been spent on improving the Reason experience for EVERYONE, not just little Timmy in ohio who just figured out he wants to make music and is looking for his first DAW.

FlowerSoldier

25 Oct 2017

I don't see what all the fuss is about.
Everyone knows that Acid Pro is the best DAW and it always will be. It's basically common knowledge at this point.
Just like everyone knows that Lil Wayne is the Greatest Rapper of All Time.
Why is this even being discussed?

EnochLight

25 Oct 2017

Funny thing is - I have a metric shit ton of criticism and complaints with Reason as it currently stands, and with virtually every release that has come out since 2.0 - including this one. Maybe it's the way I conduct myself, though, because people seem to think I evangelize Reason or something. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But I don't make condescending posts and snide remarks here hoping "Propellerhead will read them"; I send my suggestions, complaints, and criticisms to them through direct channels. If more people did the same, perhaps we'd see some of these complaints addressed. That said, I could post a lovely reference of all of my posts complaining about things that need to be addressed, but what would that accomplish? I'm not here to gain alignment with people in a batch fest. I came here to shoot the shit and talk shop.

On a side note, I also don't troll users with PM's attempting to get a rise out of them. :roll:

Anyway, R10's release - like every version before - is sure to create some divides. This should surprise no one - certainly not me.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Creativemind

25 Oct 2017

Soft Enerji wrote:But I dare say they'll get by without all the whingers and whiners
Don't think it's whinging and whining to expect professional music making software to do things most daws have been doing since 2010 and before.

You can't even mute a midi note lol! Propellerhead can put all that effort into coding a granular synth and a wavetable synth etc but can't even update the core program? This update only includes content and for me a (predominantly only) Reason user since 2012 (6.5) am wondering how long we have to wait for basic functionality. These synths are indeed superb (from what I see / hear from the streams / vids) but I'm constantly finding myself doing long workarounds for simple implementable features it seems.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

25 Oct 2017

stratatonic wrote:
25 Oct 2017
So, in terms of actual workflow enhancements in Reason 10:

- Devices can now be added to favorite lists
Yep. It sure is a quandry isn't it?

Guess I'm waiting till at least the first point update before upgrading. I for one (after the great update of 9) was really looking forward to what was coming in 10. A more powerful midi editor and more inline audio editing features and ganged faders, an undo events list, sync'ing the browsers and windows on the fly, track folders, a notepad (for lyrics and notes), curved automation and track freeze I was hoping for. Them plus Grain and Europa would've been superb.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Adabler
Competition Winner

25 Oct 2017

Arg! The download rate is around 300kb/s. Over an hour left. Sigh...
:reason: 12, Win10

chimp_spanner

25 Oct 2017

Creativemind wrote:
25 Oct 2017
stratatonic wrote:
25 Oct 2017
So, in terms of actual workflow enhancements in Reason 10:

- Devices can now be added to favorite lists
Yep. It sure is a quandry isn't it?

Guess I'm waiting till at least the first point update before upgrading. I for one (after the great update of 9) was really looking forward to what was coming in 10. A more powerful midi editor and more inline audio editing features and ganged faders, an undo events list, sync'ing the browsers and windows on the fly, track folders, a notepad (for lyrics and notes), curved automation and track freeze I was hoping for. Them plus Grain and Europa would've been superb.
I think the two biggest features for me in any subsequent version would be track folders, and an option to automatically sync mixer, track and rack views. Not terribly exciting I know but they would save me a lot of work! I like your other suggestions too.

AttenuationHz

25 Oct 2017

It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

electrofux

25 Oct 2017

Equalizer wrote:
25 Oct 2017
electrofux wrote:
25 Oct 2017
Just a little tip when comparing Europa to other Synths from the outside... look at the CPU consumption. It is insanely low.
You do realize that there's a price to pay for that and that is lower sonic quality. Have you ever tried any synths OUTSIDE of Reason, like say Serum or Massive? Maybe you should. Then you'd hear the difference.

I wish we had the option to enable a "high quality" mode on all of the Props' synths. I would gladly deal with the CPU consequences. At least give us the CHOICE.
Yes i have actually compared Europa to Serum and Respire and yes i hear a little sonic difference. But being able to field tons of voices is still a big advantage in my book when the difference is imho not that big. I find Synths where i hit a chord and my CPU spikes out pretty useless ( i have good PC) but that is just me. But what i specially like about europa is that you have a hard time to miss a knob that has no sonic impact which is different to the other synths. I think it is very well done and i am sure there will be crazy good patches for it in the future.

Honestly i will most likely update at a later stage because i have quite a few Synths and didnt actually wanted a content update. But i cant deny to say the update is worth the price and it came quicker than updates before. Given the fact that there won't ever be an update where there is no whining and i have accepted that, i don't see any reason to be specially upset by the direction of this update.

Electric-Metal

25 Oct 2017

Creativemind wrote:
25 Oct 2017
A more powerful midi editor and more inline audio editing features and ganged faders, an undo events list, sync'ing the browsers and windows on the fly, track folders, a notepad (for lyrics and notes), curved automation and track freeze I was hoping for. Them plus Grain and Europa would've been superb.
^This^ is nothing but wishful thinking, and I'm sure your're aware of that. ;)
Some of them plus Grain & Europa, and I'd be with you. But all of those? C'mon, no way. That not how Props are working.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

XysteR

25 Oct 2017

Ah been messing with R10 all day: Love it, love it, love it, love it, love it, love it, love IIIIIIIIT!

Retired Mangle... Grain, Soundtoys Echoboy, Vallhalla Shimmer. BANG! head explodes..........

Reason is 'Sonically' inferior *cries laughing*

Please stop arguing and go make some music!! :D

Oquasec

25 Oct 2017

Europa is a very capable synth, glad it came with reason 10. Grain is a new way to do granular synthesis so that's also find in my book.
Will def be combining europa with Expanse :O
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

AttenuationHz

25 Oct 2017

Really don't need a notepad, Really! Notepad++ is and would be far superior.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

chimp_spanner

25 Oct 2017

I mean remember, there's always Song Information still. And if you need notes in the rack, I believe there are some free ones out there already. Not saying you should HAVE to use workarounds but if you really need that kinda thing in your project there are solutions currently. I do use blank panel rack devices with note areas as track dividers and sometimes to store ideas or settings I may forget!

Adabler
Competition Winner

25 Oct 2017

Cool! If someone has problems with slow download speed, PH released it as a torrent too!
https://www.propellerheads.se/support/d ... ittorrent/
:reason: 12, Win10

• Information