Make it go slower!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jonheal

05 Jul 2017

I am looking for a slow LFO. It seems Thor's bottoms out at .07 Hz. Pulsar, .06 Hz. Elements DS-LFO, .05HZ.

I am looking for something 10 times slower. Does such a thing exist??
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Raveshaper

05 Jul 2017

My first question is can you hear the progress of the LFO that gives you 0.05hz? Why do you need a 0.005hz speed LFO?
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

jonheal

05 Jul 2017

Raveshaper wrote:
05 Jul 2017
My first question is can you hear the progress of the LFO that gives you 0.05hz? Why do you need a 0.005hz speed LFO?
Well ... yeah, it's audible. A .07 Hz cycle (in Thor) is only about 14 seconds. A 14 second filter sweep is quite noticable, so yes, I would like a 140 second filter sweep.

selig
RE Developer

05 Jul 2017

jonheal wrote:
Raveshaper wrote:
05 Jul 2017
Well ... yeah, it's audible. A .07 Hz cycle (in Thor) is only about 14 seconds. A 14 second filter sweep is quite noticable, so yes, I would like a 140 second filter sweep.
You can get around half of that (roughly 45 seconds IIRC maybe longer) with Thor by driving the rate lower using a rotary assigned to the LFO rate with a negative value.
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

jonheal

05 Jul 2017

Thank you, good sir! :)

etyrnal

05 Jul 2017

Why don't you just use an automation Lane to do what you're doing?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

etyrnal

05 Jul 2017

You could create a slow change over time that starts at a CV value of one at the beginning of your song and ends at a CV value of 2 at the end of your song If you really really wanted to.

jonheal

05 Jul 2017

etyrnal wrote:
05 Jul 2017

Yes, that is an option.

The way I am using Reason right now is pretty unstructured and un-song-like. I am not using the Sequencer at all. I use Reason in a way analogous to an aspect of modular synthesizer sound creation in that I connect some stuff together, then generally feed a constant open gate signal to it and then slowly and semi-randomly "help" the mysterious sound(s) evolve over a period of time.
Last edited by jonheal on 05 Jul 2017, edited 1 time in total.

selig
RE Developer

05 Jul 2017

jonheal wrote:
etyrnal wrote:
05 Jul 2017

Yes, that is an option.

The way I am using Reason right now is pretty unstructured and un-song-like. I am not using the Sequencer at all. I use it in a way analogous to an aspect of modular synthesizer sound creation in that I connect some stuff together, feed a constant open gate signal to it and then slowly and semi-randomly "help" the unknown sound(s) evolve over a period of time.
I love working that way - hope you share what you're up to!

Selig Audio, LLC

jonheal

05 Jul 2017

selig wrote:
05 Jul 2017
jonheal wrote: Yes, that is an option.

The way I am using Reason right now is pretty unstructured and un-song-like. I am not using the Sequencer at all. I use it in a way analogous to an aspect of modular synthesizer sound creation in that I connect some stuff together, feed a constant open gate signal to it and then slowly and semi-randomly "help" the unknown sound(s) evolve over a period of time.
I love working that way - hope you share what you're up to!

I'm scared to. It's probably crapolla.

CephaloPod

05 Jul 2017

He's creating the slowest wobble-bass known to man.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

f2f2111d

06 Jul 2017

Little LFO's range is 0 to 4096hz, starting in 0.001hz increments. THAT is the LFO you're looking for, I think.

Gaja

06 Jul 2017

f2f2111d wrote:Little LFO's range is 0 to 4096hz, starting in 0.001hz increments. THAT is the LFO you're looking for, I think.
Yeah I remember when beta testing little LFO, one user reported to have calculated that the slowest cycle times to be something like several years.(!)
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Gorgon

06 Jul 2017

jonheal wrote:
05 Jul 2017
I am looking for a slow LFO. It seems Thor's bottoms out at .07 Hz. Pulsar, .06 Hz. Elements DS-LFO, .05HZ.

Ammo1200BR

Unlike basic Rack Extension CV devices such as Pulsar, which offer a handful of basic analogue waveform
shapes with largely unpredictable results created by combining basic shapes, Ammo can provide
predictable results with 136 high-calibre waveforms from basic to complex variants, with a huge rate of
fi re, from 0.001 Hz to 8.4 kHz.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Gorgon

06 Jul 2017

f2f2111d wrote:
06 Jul 2017
Little LFO's range is 0 to 4096hz, starting in 0.001hz increments. THAT is the LFO you're looking for, I think.
That one is a lot cheaper than Ammo :) But Ammo has all these awesome waveforms.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

centomila

06 Jul 2017

Very very happy to see this upgrade. I will test soon as possible.

I still don't understand the version numbering. Adding hyperthreading support is a little more than a 0.0.1 upgrade for me :p
http://semver.org

jonheal

06 Jul 2017

I had neglected Ammo and Little LFO. I have both and yes, they go slow. My problem is solved. Thanks everyone. Let the drones commence.

AttenuationHz

06 Jul 2017

I've been meaning to ask this but was too lazy to start a thread. How would you convert the cycles of a LFO frequency to musical time. Is there an online chart or calculator to do so. There is crossover for sync in the frequency for various tempos 32/1 would be x Hz when sync is not active if you change the tempo the Hz for the frequency would be off beat to the tempo so you would have to change that also but what is the value it should be changed to. In context what is a 64/1 LFO in Hz and at what tempo?
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

emilng

30 Mar 2018

I was playing around with making drones with Europa and I remembered this thread. For devices with tempo/beat syncable LFOs you can set Reason's tempo as low as 1 BPM. In Europa's case you can get an 8 Bar cycle LFO which combined with a slow tempo setting was slow enough for what I was doing.

wils

01 Apr 2018

Raveshaper wrote:
05 Jul 2017
Why do you need a 0.005hz speed LFO?
How's that relevant? He needs one, he's asking how to do it. He doesn't have to justify why...

emilng

01 Apr 2018

wils wrote:
01 Apr 2018
Raveshaper wrote:
05 Jul 2017
Why do you need a 0.005hz speed LFO?
How's that relevant? He needs one, he's asking how to do it. He doesn't have to justify why...
I revived this thread from many months ago hoping to share a technique I learned because I thought it was cool, but we all appreciate your relevant and positive contribution to this thread.

ravisoni

03 Apr 2018

emilng wrote:
01 Apr 2018
wils wrote:
01 Apr 2018

I revived this thread from many months ago hoping to share a technique I learned because I thought it was cool, but we all appreciate your relevant and positive contribution to this thread.
I'd heard about the enemy of the enemy being a friend. First time I'm seeing the friend of a friend being the enemy. :lol:
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

chrischrischris

03 Apr 2018

jonheal wrote:
05 Jul 2017

I have struggled to find a slow Envelope setting for a while but after many purchases I found that the curve from The Matrix goes "Very" Slow. It's a little bit jittery but works fine if You set it up correctly.

I was only trying a 16 Bars gradual build for reverbs and delays etc at 118ish (It Is Capable Of Twice That IIRC).

This is actually probably not relevant to you but just in case someone needs to do this in the future I Though I could post this here. I have been meaning to comment in RT about it for a while now but have never got around to it.

Chris

Raveshaper

03 Apr 2018

The reason i asked is because that would have a wave whose period has a cycle once every 200 seconds. That's longer than some charted songs.

I think the easiest way to do this would be to print a faster LFO by recording automation applied to a control by the CV using a combinator, then time stretching the clip to the desired size and making adjustments or smoothing by filling in points. No?
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

BRIGGS

05 Apr 2018

r11s

• Information