Reason 9.5 – VST in Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Chizmata

28 Apr 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
Chizmata wrote:the day reason stopped to be what it was intended to be and became "another DAW". im out. everything after R6 was pointless or simply wrong and this is the conclusion of the developement. there is no point in using reason over any other DAW anymore.
What do you think they should've focused on instead of this? I mean Reason as it is now is pretty much perfect for me. It has been for a while tbh. So I'm just interested to know what you think Reason should be, if not what it is right now? This seems like such a great time for the platform. It'd be a shame to abandon it because of something like optional VSTs!
it should have stayed an emulation of analogue studio equipment and refine on that more and more. thats just what reason is. more sound design, luxurious "analogue" sequencing tools (which dont exist at all right now) and CV. a world in its own that no other DAW has to offer. super-stable, very live-capable and with a unique feel. the streamlining as modern DAW makes it a mediocre one among others and the introduction of VSTs is actually the last step there, while the things im looking for havent been touched in years.

Oquasec

28 Apr 2017

Dude, the vsts behave like rack devices.
EMI part 2. 129$ upgrade worthy right there.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

zakalwe

28 Apr 2017

the possibilities with CV in and combinator use are pretty amazing. you can kind of do this with mu labs from what i hear but i've never used it myself. to have that sort of control over VST in reason is going to be very interesting.

Oquasec

28 Apr 2017

It means refill packing is going to get even more retarded is what that means.
Propeller-head wtf. How am I going to stop refill packing now?
Producer/Programmer.

shropshirelad

28 Apr 2017

I guess this also opens the door for Props to offer VST versions of their RE's - a smart move!

chimp_spanner

28 Apr 2017

Maxsu wrote:
chimp_spanner wrote:
Chizmata wrote:the day reason stopped to be what it was intended to be and became "another DAW". im out. everything after R6 was pointless or simply wrong and this is the conclusion of the developement. there is no point in using reason over any other DAW anymore.
What do you think they should've focused on instead of this? I mean Reason as it is now is pretty much perfect for me. It has been for a while tbh. So I'm just interested to know what you think Reason should be, if not what it is right now? This seems like such a great time for the platform. It'd be a shame to abandon it because of something like optional VSTs!
Reason is one of a few programs who never crashed! My only really concern is the stability on this but I have full trust in PH. I hope it will push RE´s with new costumers and VST Support in Reason!

Stay positive but critiscm is always important so let us watch how it will be for the future use.
Well as Matthias said, VSTs won't impact on stability unless you use them. Obviously I imagine there's the possibility that some plugins won't play nice, and perhaps that will require a greater deal of collaboration between PH and other devs, although it'd be in their interest to support the platform now as it's a whole new customer base for them.

With that said, as I mentioned earlier, VST plugins don't really crash for me. Early 2000s...yeah that was a bad time for plugins. Because I didn't own any haha. So 9/10 if something crashed, it was because it was cracked to hell. Since I've gone legit, honestly can't say I've had any issues.

I think the big name developers...won't cause any problems. Smaller devs, or free/old/32-bit plugins, well, we'll see. I hope people don't place unrealistic demands on PH in regards to that.

Deep Schulzz

28 Apr 2017

It feels a little bit like being expelled from paradise. :puf_unhappy:
But the curiosity prevailed. :mrgreen:

zakalwe

28 Apr 2017

honestly, my audio driver crashes more than any plugins i have. the plugins that are bad are usually unusablely so and get deleted.

danc

28 Apr 2017

With such a radical step-up to VST you would have thought it worthy of being called Reason 10. It easily earns a new number. Would love to know the reason for a micro increment from 9.2 to 9.5.
Check my Soundcloud:

EdGrip

28 Apr 2017

Chizmata wrote: yeah bye. have fun with your DAW for 3 year olds. you probably need it.
Don't cry, mate. :(
Last edited by EdGrip on 28 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

pjeudy

28 Apr 2017

I'll say this real quickly...hey Propellerhead
THIS IS F*CKING AMAZING...GREAT JOB !!!!!!BRAVO !!!!

This how you get out of the way of musicians making music...by not having them wait years on years to get a chance to use the many tools at there disposal...but instead finding a way to help them use those tools in there DAW of choice.!!

So again BRAVO @ Propellerhead BRAVO !!!!!!!
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Maxsu

28 Apr 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
Well as Matthias said, VSTs won't impact on stability unless you use them. Obviously I imagine there's the possibility that some plugins won't play nice, and perhaps that will require a greater deal of collaboration between PH and other devs, although it'd be in their interest to support the platform now as it's a whole new customer base for them.

With that said, as I mentioned earlier, VST plugins don't really crash for me. Early 2000s...yeah that was a bad time for plugins. Because I didn't own any haha. So 9/10 if something crashed, it was because it was cracked to hell. Since I've gone legit, honestly can't say I've had any issues.

I think the big name developers...won't cause any problems. Smaller devs, or free/old/32-bit plugins, well, we'll see. I hope people don't place unrealistic demands on PH in regards to that.
Millions of new options are coming to us and it is great, I think they thought this out well.

I am really happy about that anouncment :puf_bigsmile: . I heared often "you have made this in Reason? Nice!" ^^ Now it would be "aha you use Reason, which VST do you use" :lol:

jfrichards

28 Apr 2017

Deep Schulzz wrote:It feels a little bit like being expelled from paradise...
Or like your icon photo, the little Reason user staring up at the giant world of VST plugins.

(imagine Trillian into Cerberus into Kalthallen)
Last edited by jfrichards on 28 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

gullum

28 Apr 2017

I have honestly always been skeptical about VST in reason bur Propellerhead do what Propellerhead and make it feel like natural part of Reason. Now I'm really excite about VST support.

zakalwe

28 Apr 2017

danc wrote:With such a radical step-up to VST you would have thought it worthy of being called Reason 10. It easily earns a new number. Would love to know the reason for a micro increment from 9.2 to 9.5.
propellerhead actually have a history of doing big point five releases such as 2.5 and 6.5 so it kind of fits.

Faastwalker

28 Apr 2017

Feels a bit surreal. Never thought I would see the day. I only own 1 VST - GForce ImpOSCar. That's it! Will be cool I can dig that out again and use with Reason. Always hoped it would be ported to RE but I guess that's a moot point now. My only concern is that it will be the same for many developers, even though for Reason users RE is still much better than VST. I'm not sure what this will mean for the RE format on the whole. If VST support in Reason brings more users into the fold, that might have skipped over it before because it DIDN'T support VST. Well, maybe that will mean more customers in the RE shop. It will be interesting to see how this pans out for RE developers. It would be interesting to hear from more of them to see what they make of this. Can RE co-exist with VST?! I hope so.

stp2015

28 Apr 2017

So does this also mean Virus TI?

WhiteShark

28 Apr 2017

Amazing news...but I am going to be so skint now! First on the list..ImpOSCcar2...then Synthmaster...then...Kontakt...then ooh look at all those drum machines that just became available...then...*passes out* :D

pjeudy

28 Apr 2017

Also...Let the device competition begin!!!! SERUM inside of REASON versus Expanse :exclamation:

Also, a question for RE devs, why should RE developers build there devices using the REASON sdk NOW ? and have to compete with the flexibility of the VST sdk. Or will it just be easier to build VST devices for REASON and have there product go to the REASON market place that way.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

PeZiK

28 Apr 2017

I got curious if there were any VST video player out there...googled it..and there is one : http://www.lofibucket.com/articles/videoplayer.html

So maybe you can play video in sync with Reason...fingers crossed!

P.

Oquasec

28 Apr 2017

reason had vst support forever. Not cv vst support.
Producer/Programmer.

sdst
Competition Winner

28 Apr 2017

Time to sell my others DAW, i don't need them anymore. :)

let me Try the arturia 5 collection

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Apr 2017

can't tell if i'm still dreaming...

normen

28 Apr 2017

SA Studio wrote:Normen, you're an RE dev and very helpful person. Even creating a device all in the effort to assist, or help, people. All due respect.

Did you see this coming?

I didn't hear anything, is all i'll say. Not a peep. And I'm like Varys on Game of Thrones, with birds n stuff.
Well funny timing with me releasing VMG-01 for free, hm? :) Now if I was smart and greedy I'd have made a sale for it instead, right? So depending on what you think of me you can decide if I did or didn't know about that ;)

chimp_spanner

28 Apr 2017

Chizmata wrote:
chimp_spanner wrote:
it should have stayed an emulation of analogue studio equipment and refine on that more and more. thats just what reason is. more sound design, luxurious "analogue" sequencing tools (which dont exist at all right now) and CV. a world in its own that no other DAW has to offer. super-stable, very live-capable and with a unique feel. the streamlining as modern DAW makes it a mediocre one among others and the introduction of VSTs is actually the last step there, while the things im looking for havent been touched in years.
But what I'm saying is like, how could they have refined the analogue studio equipment experience further? We've got nice looking front panels, we can flip it all around and mess with CV and audio. We've got old school analogue style sequencers, pattern and pulse generators. Not sure where else they could go from there - maybe like, altering individual components within a synth or effect? But then you're veering into Reaktor territory and honestly, most people won't do that. The only thing I would've liked to see myself is an official PH modular system with filters and oscillators and Eurorack style goodies.

"Sound design" isn't 'a thing they can add. It's a thing we can already do, by patching and routing and experimenting. And if VST plugins are now part of that process...I'm happy! Adding more features isn't streamlining. If they said "we're adding VST and taking away the rear panel" then yeah, that'd suck. But we get to keep everything we already have, and then some.

I mean of course, you gotta do what you gotta do man. I just don't see why this development should stop you from enjoying what you already have. Do you have another DAW in mind as an alternative? I know Ableton has some modular-esque capabilities. And there's also Bitwig but I know nothing about that.

• Information