Your Favourite Electronic Music Genre

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

What Is Your Favourite Electronic Music Genre

Ambient (Inc Ambient Dub / Dark Ambient / Drone)
14%
Breakbeat (Inc Acid Breaks / Nu Funk / Florida Breaks)
3%
Chillstep
1%
Deep House (inc Deep Tech House)
9%
Drum 'n' Bass
10%
Dubstep
6%
Electro
6%
Electro House
2%
Euro House (Itali / French Tek / Latin / Spanish)
1%
Gabba
No votes
Garage (inc Future Garage)
1%
Hardcore (Inc Happy Hardcore)
No votes
Hardstyle (Inc Dubstyle / Jumpstyle & Euphoric)
1%
Intelligent Dance Music (Inc Glitch / Glitch Hop / Wonky)
9%
Jungle
4%
Old Skool Progressive House / Rave (Inc Chicago House)
4%
Progressive House (Modern & Old)
3%
Techno (Inc Acid and Detroit)
12%
Trance (Inc Classic / Goa Trance / Psytrance / Uplifting Trance)
10%
Trap
4%

Total votes: 160
Creativemind

04 Sep 2016

Hi All!

Doing this again, yes again.

I noticed you can now have 20 options in your poll. I wanted to include Chillout but again, not enough options available. To do this properly you'd need about 80 so you could include all sub-genres. There'd be about 20-25 just for house lol!

So I've included more genre's in here but I'm sure people will still find their genre missing lol!

I've included some sub-genres in brackets as well for more clarification.

Sorry if your genre isn't there. Keeping this poll open longer as well.

You can choose up to 4 genres.

Thanks!
Last edited by Creativemind on 09 Sep 2016, edited 3 times in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

tomba

04 Sep 2016

ROYKSOPP

NOTHING ELSE CAN COMPARE

Modern day Kraftwerk
:reason: :re:

Electric-Metal

04 Sep 2016

Got totally stuck in Trance of mid/late 90s.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

Creativemind

04 Sep 2016

I love old skool house /rave and Chicago house and some just modern/ old progressive house. Oh and Deep House.I also like uplifting / classic style trance too.

Here's some examples:-

To think these tracks were made without a computer / daw in sight. All hardware. Maybe some mid 90's tracks might have used Cubase perhaps with an Atari ST or Amiga 500 computer but not sure.

Synths like the Yamaha DX7 or DX10, Roland SH-101, Roland W30 Workstation (Prodigy famously used for their debut tracks), Casio CZ-101, Korg M1 for the classic rave piano and maybe the Polysix or Mono/Poly perhaps. A lot of chart hits used the Yamaha TX81Z Sampler for it's presets such as the Lately Bass (Gat Décor - Do You Want It Right Now / Whigfield - Saturday Night / Haddaway - What Is Love?) and then the TR-707/727/808/909 drum machines and the 303 Bassline Generator, Akai MPC perhaps and not sure about effects or what have you.

K.Markov

04 Sep 2016

Berlin school :puf_smile:

Creativemind

04 Sep 2016

K.Markov wrote:Berlin school :puf_smile:
What's that mean? lol!

aisling

04 Sep 2016

Electric-Metal wrote:Got totally stuck in Trance of mid/late 90s.
Love me some astral projection, atmos, ethnica, MFG, minefield, hallucinogen, juno reaktor, logic bomb....
Last edited by aisling on 04 Sep 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Electric-Metal

04 Sep 2016

Creativemind wrote:
What's that mean? lol!

Electric-Metal

04 Sep 2016

aisling wrote:
Love me some astral projection, atmos, ethnica, MSG, minefield, hallucinogen, juno reaktor, logic bomb....
Since you mentioned Astral Projection, just stumbled over that one :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

joeyluck

04 Sep 2016

I like electronic film scores. Not sure what that would fall under... The type where electronic elements mimic classical film orchestration.

Creativemind

04 Sep 2016

That's awesome electric-metal.

The good old doepfer modular synth.

I wouldn't mind an old skool house version of this. This is more trance / progressive (kind of).

sdst
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2016

synthpop -Synthwave- chillwave

but I like all music

Electric-Metal

04 Sep 2016

Creativemind wrote:That's awesome electric-metal.

The good old doepfer modular synth.

I wouldn't mind an old skool house version of this. This is more trance / progressive (kind of).
Glad you like it. I could watch vids like this all the time. Watching some guy squeezing goosebumps-sounds out of a bunch of hardware :puf_bigsmile:

Btw: When it comes to my personal taste, here´s a track I always come back to, the past few weeks.

talex

04 Sep 2016

My short list of e-love Brian Eno, Orb, Hallucinogen, Ott, System 7, Boards of Canada, Pete Namlook, and Woob.

What I'm listening to today and loving.
Kayla Scintilla

groggy1

04 Sep 2016

I think I like Electrohouse, but I don't know for sure. When I lookup Electrohouse playlists on Spotify, sometimes I really like it, and sometimes I don't.

I like Neelix and Beat Hackers (e.g. Mushroom.Com song).
And I like Far Too Loud & Alex Mind's "Bring Back Boogie"

I can't tell what genre all of this is though. :) Any help is appreciated.

K.Markov

04 Sep 2016

Creativemind wrote:
What's that mean? lol!
The Berlin School is a style of electronic music that emerged in the 1970s. An offshoot of Krautrock, Berlin School was so named because most of its early practitioners were based in West Berlin, Germany. It was shaped by artists such as Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, and Manuel Gottsching. Innovative Berlin School recordings were a precursor of ambient music.

aisling

04 Sep 2016

Electric-Metal wrote:
aisling wrote:
Love me some astral projection, atmos, ethnica, MSG, minefield, hallucinogen, juno reaktor, logic bomb....
Since you mentioned Astral Projection, just stumbled over that one :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
Yes that entire disc is amazing. Sadly they seem to have lost the magic. Sorry for the "MSG" typo, meant to say MFG. All politics aside, the Israeli's really had a hold on the trance scene back then.

Raveshaper

05 Sep 2016

It's really hard to reduce. I don't know what most of these genres are in a scientific sense of genre specifications.
These are roughly in chronological order in context of when I discovered them. Soft to hard as nails to soft again.

:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

decibel

05 Sep 2016

what ? no psychedelic country reggae step ?

FlowerSoldier

05 Sep 2016

I pretty much like all music. I don't even think about genres. It's the same 12 notes over and over and over, right? I even like that reggae song they used for the theme song of cops. Bad boy bad boy. What you gonna do? That song isn't like my favorite or anything, but i like it.

FlowerSoldier

05 Sep 2016

[quote="Raveshaper"]It's really hard to reduce. I don't know what most of these genres are in a scientific sense of genre specifications.
These are roughly in chronological order in context of when I discovered them. Soft to hard as nails to soft again.

Madeon is probably God. That dude needs to get back to work. There's no such thing as too much Madeon.

Raveshaper

05 Sep 2016

Current Value is the lord and master of the sound wave.

Also Madeon might be 12 years old. And he's way ahead of probably all of us. Let's get to work!
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

dvdrtldg

05 Sep 2016

Genre classifications give me a headache, but I do love pretty much anything that came out on the Chain Reaction / Basic Channel constellation of labels in the 90s. I would give my left nut to make music that sounds as good as this

Gorgon

05 Sep 2016

Creativemind wrote: To think these tracks were made without a computer / daw in sight. All hardware. Maybe some mid 90's tracks might have used Cubase perhaps with an Atari ST or Amiga 500 computer but not sure.
You're wrong there. Cubase has been around since 1989 and was widely used, especially on the Atari ST with the built-in midi ports. That's also why Amiga lost the pro-musician's market, because everybody went apeshit when they saw the midi ports right in the case of the computer.
Synths like the Yamaha DX7 or DX10, Roland SH-101, Roland W30 Workstation (Prodigy famously used for their debut tracks), Casio CZ-101, Korg M1 for the classic rave piano and maybe the Polysix or Mono/Poly perhaps. A lot of chart hits used the Yamaha TX81Z Sampler for it's presets such as the Lately Bass (Gat Décor - Do You Want It Right Now / Whigfield - Saturday Night / Haddaway - What Is Love?) and then the TR-707/727/808/909 drum machines and the 303 Bassline Generator, Akai MPC perhaps and not sure about effects or what have you.
A Roland W-30 is basically a DAW.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Creativemind

05 Sep 2016

Raveshaper wrote:It's really hard to reduce. I don't know what most of these genres are in a scientific sense of genre specifications.
I would call the Flight of the Navigator one synthpop but that's just my guess. The a-side that Pagan Poetry was the b-side of was Cocoon and is classed as Glitch on Wikipedia so that would come under IDM on my list.

That Squarepusher one according to wiki is Drill 'n' Bass which I've never heard of and also states IDM, breakcore, experimental and noise. Think it may be a mad mix of anything goes. Might just come under the umbrella of IDM.

Haven't got time at present to look the others up.

• Information