What can modular synths do that Reason can't?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
alexfsu

31 Aug 2016

So I've been exploring different itb modular synths like Oscillot and Reaktor Blocks and Softube Modular, and they're all very cool. But I can't help but see distinct similarities. So outside of the 'analog sound' that you get from hardware (different topic), I'd like to know what's the hoopla around these modular synths coming out, are they capable of doing anything that Reason can't? Thanks.

Zac

01 Sep 2016

They are a powerful drain on the pocket for those able to indulge themselves.
it's a cynical view of course.

miscend

01 Sep 2016

They are very good at making various kinds of bleeps and twerps.

bxbrkrz

01 Sep 2016

Real interface, multiple tactile feedback.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

submonsterz

01 Sep 2016

Run without eating your dsp like res do :)

jonheal

01 Sep 2016

Tons of cool, blinking lights. Next best thing to an actual Space Shuttle cockpit — without the possible discomfort of burning up during reentry.

https://vimeo.com/136165676
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

JoshuaPhilgarlic

01 Sep 2016

I agree with OP. Where's the beef in these "virtual" modulars? Ok, they provide tons of modulation possibilities. You can store patches and recall (or maybe blend?) them. Many of this can be done in Reason too - better than in any other DAW. So, personally I'm not interested at all in these virtual modular systems. For me, modular means not only endless possibilities, but also direct access. So if I ever can afford it, I would probably get some modular hardware, but never a "modular" plugin. Until than, Reason is all I need ;) .

Creativemind

01 Sep 2016

Break? lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Biolumin3sc3nt

01 Sep 2016

jonheal wrote:Tons of cool, blinking lights. Next best thing to an actual Space Shuttle cockpit — without the possible discomfort of burning up during reentry.

https://vimeo.com/136165676

Such a sick lil jam!

Marc64

01 Sep 2016

on real hardware modular synths you can tweak any knob and button and patch cables right there with both your hands and not worrying about dsp "burnout" :)
LOVE Reason btw :)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

scifunk

04 Sep 2016

They are highly over rated and I dont get the excitement of spending thousands, and days patching to get some bleepy sequence I can do in Reason in less than a minute????????????????????

Biolumin3sc3nt

04 Sep 2016

scifunk wrote:They are highly over rated and I dont get the excitement of spending thousands, and days patching to get some bleepy sequence I can do in Reason in less than a minute????????????????????

Yo Mang, You can't deny those blinking lights! This is old man territory - When I'm retired, I plan on having some analog eye candy, that's fo sho!

jonheal

04 Sep 2016

scifunk wrote:They are highly over rated and I dont get the excitement of spending thousands, and days patching to get some bleepy sequence I can do in Reason in less than a minute????????????????????
There's NO WAY you could patch what Richard Devine is doing in that video "in less than a minute" with Reason. I'm still trying to figure out how to patch something like that in Reason at all! :shock:

(Not saying it can't be done, and I hope it can, because that's the direction I want to go.)
Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:This is old man territory
Guilty as charged!!! :puf_bigsmile:

platzangst

05 Sep 2016

It's worth noting that in the notes to the Devine video he lists everything he does, what's hooked up to what. Here's a small excerpt:
Drum sequencing from TipTop CR, channel one kick drum going to the Nord Drum 2. Second channel number 2 triggering a custom snare drum made on the Nord Drum 2. Channel 6 from the CR triggering a low bass drum, in the key of "C". Clock output from CR into the 4ms SCM being rotated by a intellijel dixie sine wave output running at a slow rate shifting the 16th's hi hat pattern. Noise source for hi-hats are the SSF quantum rainbow 2, purple output running into the MakeNoise Optomix. The high end snare clap sound is by the Synthrotek's DS-M drum module, then being lightly processed by the Synthrotek DLY, slowly CV controlled by a Modcan Quad LFO in random mode creating more glitchy effects. This is then being sequenced by channel number 2 from the tiptop CR.
And this is just for some of the percussion sounds. We can glean two things from this:

One, Richard Devine creates some complex connections setting all his stuff up.

Two, none of it would be impossible to do in Reason.

After all, he's got several devices there all connected together, it's not like he just plopped down a Virus TI or something and started jamming on one patch. There's three different devices used for the bass drum, snare and hi-hat. As long as you can spare the CPU, that's hardly unusual for Reason.

Where things could get tricky is in the triggering, where sequences change and switch and evolve seemingly at random. But that's being covered in many ways by REs and I suppose if you were clever and patient you might even be able to pull some of it off with stock devices.

But that's the trick, isn't it? Clever and patient. Hooking up a string of modular bits isn't going to make you sound as good as Richard Devine unless you're also going to put in the same amount of effort as Richard Devine, getting his drum sounds from three devices as opposed to buying a drum machine and just going with whatever patches come pre-set with it...

mcatalao
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2016

Take Reason's devices as small blocks and you can do a great deal of what those plugins do (if not everything).
IMHO, reason was the first in any segment ( DAW, instrument, or plugin) to achieve real modular ability.

And actually if you look at the description of the elements included, some of them are small block elements like Spiders merging and dividing, little mixers, and so on. Such things exist in Reason since V1.

It's not that i don't think this are not valuable devices - i think i would buy them if i didn't have Reason and the Rack paradigm. If you're a reason user, and are fine with pulling a CV cable, you work these out in a minute, but end up realizing you could do it all along with R1 or 2 10 years ago. IMHO

bitley

06 Sep 2016

With a modular system (or pretty common analog synths) "incorrect" connections can lead to new creative paths. My friend is all into Audio -> <-CV.

buddard
RE Developer

06 Sep 2016

For me it's not so much about the sound as it is about the user experience. Sometimes it's really nice to turn off the computer screen and just sit there moving around patch cables and knobs -- It's a more immersive experience, I guess, less distractions and more "zen". Also, like bitley said, there are way more happy accidents in modular, at least for me.

When I work on "actual music" (which sadly doesn't happen as often as I'd like nowadays), I make about 50% of the sounds in Reason, and 50% in the modular. I do almost all sequencing in Reason (which is why I created Euclid and Step, actually).

jonheal

06 Sep 2016

platzangst wrote:It's worth noting that in the notes to the Devine video he lists everything he does, what's hooked up to what. Here's a small excerpt:
Drum sequencing from TipTop CR, channel one kick drum going to the Nord Drum 2. Second channel number 2 triggering a custom snare drum made on the Nord Drum 2. Channel 6 from the CR triggering a low bass drum, in the key of "C". Clock output from CR into the 4ms SCM being rotated by a intellijel dixie sine wave output running at a slow rate shifting the 16th's hi hat pattern. Noise source for hi-hats are the SSF quantum rainbow 2, purple output running into the MakeNoise Optomix. The high end snare clap sound is by the Synthrotek's DS-M drum module, then being lightly processed by the Synthrotek DLY, slowly CV controlled by a Modcan Quad LFO in random mode creating more glitchy effects. This is then being sequenced by channel number 2 from the tiptop CR.
And this is just for some of the percussion sounds. We can glean two things from this:

One, Richard Devine creates some complex connections setting all his stuff up.

Two, none of it would be impossible to do in Reason.

After all, he's got several devices there all connected together, it's not like he just plopped down a Virus TI or something and started jamming on one patch. There's three different devices used for the bass drum, snare and hi-hat. As long as you can spare the CPU, that's hardly unusual for Reason.

Where things could get tricky is in the triggering, where sequences change and switch and evolve seemingly at random. But that's being covered in many ways by REs and I suppose if you were clever and patient you might even be able to pull some of it off with stock devices.

But that's the trick, isn't it? Clever and patient. Hooking up a string of modular bits isn't going to make you sound as good as Richard Devine unless you're also going to put in the same amount of effort as Richard Devine, getting his drum sounds from three devices as opposed to buying a drum machine and just going with whatever patches come pre-set with it...
Yes, I forgot about how well (and generously) he documents his setups. I should make that my first stop in attempting to (incredibly grossly) mimic some of his sounds with Reason.

• Information