Using a Loudness Meter

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
8cros

28 Dec 2016

It looks like the fact of using screams causes people to lose objectivity. :puf_bigsmile:
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

selig
RE Developer

28 Dec 2016

8cros wrote:It looks like the fact of using screams causes people to lose objectivity. :puf_bigsmile:
Not at all. Just sounds like crap to me, which is a totally objective opinion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

8cros

28 Dec 2016

selig wrote:
8cros wrote:It looks like the fact of using screams causes people to lose objectivity. :puf_bigsmile:

There is no place for impressions. ;)
REASON RESONANCES

eusti

28 Dec 2016

Not sure if this conversation is going anywhere... I don't think music production can be judged from a purely technical standpoint... As in it's louder now by x... Well, if the original sound has been altered too much to achieve this, then I doubt it's going to be of much worth to the musician... At least if he liked the sound before... :P

D.

selig
RE Developer

28 Dec 2016

8cros wrote:
selig wrote:

You are in the wrong place if you believe that.

Selig Audio, LLC

8cros

28 Dec 2016

eusti wrote:Not sure if this conversation is going anywhere... I don't think music production can be judged from a purely technical standpoint... As in it's louder now by x... Well, if the original sound has been altered too much to achieve this, then I doubt it's going to be of much worth to the musician... At least if he liked the sound before... :P

D.
I used screaming in vain. Ozone in the mixer channels will also clean. :cry:
:oops:
REASON RESONANCES

normen

28 Dec 2016

8cros wrote:Of course I hear it, but that details are not relating to the dynamic range and laudness. It is the color and character. Loads and distortion.
You focuses on completely unnecessary things.

You are wrong.

I'll explain.

I maximize mixer channels in Example 1.

I maximized only master in Example 2.
So based on the numbers you posted the latter track is louder (as in loudness), which is to be expected because it is distorted. When I put any track through a JCM800 at full gain it will increase its loudness. It will sound like shit but it will have increased loudness. Was that the purpose? Then just distorting the track completely would be easier.

Otherwise I wouldn't say that looking at the distortion levels is "unnecessary things", its what audio engineers did since the beginning of their profession...

But sure, sometimes thats also not good. I'll tell the old story of Jimi Hendix recording a "live on the radio" concert at a public german radio station (NDR) again:
Each time the engineer went into the recording room he'd turn down Jimis amp, when he was back in his control room Jimi would turn up the volume again. This went back and forth a few times until the engineer said: "Mr Hendrix, if you don't turn up the amp so far you don't get these nasty distortion artifacts!!"

So maybe the new russian EDM sound is exactly what you do, what do I know. But I personally think it sounds like crap and its nothing I'd ever do in a pro context to increase loudness unless somebody wants me to artificially destroy the track.
Last edited by normen on 28 Dec 2016, edited 1 time in total.

8cros

28 Dec 2016

selig wrote:
8cros wrote:
selig wrote:

You are in the wrong place if you believe that.

You'll understand later. Do not say nothing. :redface:
REASON RESONANCES

8cros

28 Dec 2016

normen wrote:
8cros wrote:Of course I hear it, but that details are not relating to the dynamic range and laudness. It is the color and character. Loads and distortion.
You focuses on completely unnecessary things.

You are wrong.

I'll explain.

I maximize mixer channels in Example 1.

I maximized only master in Example 2.
So based on the numbers you posted the latter track is louder (as in loudness), which is to be expected because it is distorted. When I put any track through a JCM800 at full gain it will increase its loudness. It will sound like shit but it will have increased loudness. Was that the purpose? Then just distorting the track completely would be easier.

Otherwise I wouldn't say that looking at the distortion levels is "unnecessary things", its what audio engineers did since the beginning of their profession...

But sure, sometimes thats also not good. I'll tell the old story of Jimi Hendix recording a "live on the radio" concert at a public german radio station (NDR) again:
Each time the engineer went into the recording room he'd turn down Jimis amp, when he was back in his control room Jimi would turn up the volume again. This went back and forth a few times until the engineer said: "Mr Hendrix, if you don't turn up the amp so far you don't get these nasty distortion artifacts!!"

So maybe the new russian EDM sound is exactly what you do, what do I know. But I personally think it sounds like crap and its nothing I'd ever do in a pro context to increase loudness unless somebody wants me to artificially destroy the track.
I used screaming in vain. Ozone in the mixer channels will also clean. :(
REASON RESONANCES

8cros

28 Dec 2016

But I will not do other examples. Because I got angry warning. :|
REASON RESONANCES

Kenni
Site Admin

28 Dec 2016

8cros wrote:But I will not do other examples. That's why I got angry warning. :|
No, nobody is against you or your examples. There's no conspiracy or anything about people ganging up against you. People are exchanging ideas and experiences based on what enters their ears - To me it appears that it's not only about the theoretical stuff anymore.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

8cros

28 Dec 2016

Kenni wrote:
8cros wrote:But I will not do other examples. That's why I got angry warning. :|
No, nobody is against you or your examples. There's no conspiracy or anything about people ganging up against you. People are exchanging ideas and experiences based on what enters their ears - To me it appears that it's not only about the theoretical stuff anymore.
I understand. But it is very hot issues.
Volume, Distortion, Jimi Hendrix.
REASON RESONANCES

Kenni
Site Admin

28 Dec 2016

8cros wrote:
Kenni wrote:
I understand. But it is very hot issues.
Volume, Distortion, Jimi Hendrix.
No, there's no "hot issues" - You keep talking about selig diverting from the thread subject even though he didn't.

You comment everything he says. He gives an explanation to the question why mastering engineers wants headroom (basically because bedroom producers mess up the mastering chain and makes it difficult to work with since they're ruining dynamics), and even though you had NOTHING informative to say or add to that topic, you commented anyway.

I know you probably don't understand this, but in case you didn't notice, there's no room for ad hominem on this forum, and this is the very last time I inform you on this. If you have nothing constructive to add other than making this personal, stop posting!
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

8cros

28 Dec 2016

I'm ready to go back and dwell on Selig's statement. If he ceases to aggressively push me strange questions. And he will not ignore direct questions.
I'm one against three people. This is called baiting dogs. :puf_unhappy:
REASON RESONANCES

Kenni
Site Admin

28 Dec 2016

8cros wrote:I'm ready to go back and dwell on Selig's statement. If it ceases to aggressively push me strange questions. And it will not ignore the direct treatment.

Again, nobody is against you, how paranoid are you? This is the internet, if you're mistaking, people will call the mistakes. If you have different opinions on how audio is perceived, there's no point in discussing them - Opinions are personal and highly individual. Just don't expect people to agree with you.

Personal opinion, discussing the visual loudness of a track being dragged through distortion algorithms and through a limiter/maximizer is one thing, how it actually sounds is another. Applying distortion on a mastering chain to gain loudness is stupid - To me! Apparently, selig and normen feel the same. Stop taking that personally.

So, when people tell you that a distortion algorithm might give you a louder visual signal but that it sounds like crap, I guess it's because they just think it sounds like crap. Nobody is debating your output, they're commenting on the perceived sound.

I know I could just ignore your debates with others, but your posts are being reported for being highly aggressive, so I'm asking you to stop being a drama queen, please.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

8cros

28 Dec 2016

Kenni wrote:
8cros wrote:I'm ready to go back and dwell on Selig's statement. If it ceases to aggressively push me strange questions. And it will not ignore the direct treatment.

Again, nobody is against you, how paranoid are you? This is the internet, if you're mistaking, people will call the mistakes. If you have different opinions on how audio is perceived, there's no point in discussing them - Opinions are personal and highly individual. Just don't expect people to agree with you.

Personal opinion, discussing the visual loudness of a track being dragged through distortion algorithms and through a limiter/maximizer is one thing, how it actually sounds is another. Applying distortion on a mastering chain to gain loudness is stupid - To me! Apparently, selig and normen feel the same. Stop taking that personally.

So, when people tell you that a distortion algorithm might give you a louder visual signal but that it sounds like crap, I guess it's because they just think it sounds like crap. Nobody is debating your output, they're commenting on the perceived sound.

I know I could just ignore your debates with others, but your posts are being reported for being highly aggressive, so I'm asking you to stop being a drama queen, please.
If you replace the five screams to five ozones. It will be the same result. :redface:
Last edited by 8cros on 28 Dec 2016, edited 1 time in total.
REASON RESONANCES

Kenni
Site Admin

28 Dec 2016

8cros wrote:
Kenni wrote:

If you replace the five screams for five ozones. It will be the same result. :redface:
You're probably right - The visual reading would be louder, but the perceived audio would still sound like crap to most people.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

8cros

28 Dec 2016

Kenni wrote:
8cros wrote:
Kenni wrote:

If you replace the five screams for five ozones. It will be the same result. :redface:
You're probably right - The visual reading would be louder, but the perceived audio would still sound like crap to most people.
it will not be louder

It will be a standard volume. :D
REASON RESONANCES

8cros

29 Dec 2016

The problem is that you are looking for a trick where it is not.
This is not a trick.

I do not want to cheat. I do not louder than you.
I do not do a range of less than is required even for classical music.

Do you think I'm doing crap? You have a lot to reconsider. :roll:
REASON RESONANCES

8cros

29 Dec 2016

normen wrote:
I do not think it is appropriate to say something like that.
I accept it for being rude. Once again. If you are Russian, so you want to make bricks out of the music.
You're talking about the Eurovision Song Contest?
At Eurovision, if you remember, took over the policy outright. :puf_unhappy:
REASON RESONANCES

8cros

29 Dec 2016

I brought measurement, both examples have the same volume.
There is no increase laudness. :evil:
REASON RESONANCES

Kenni
Site Admin

29 Dec 2016

You're talking to yourself, 8cros, nobody is replying.

You should really take a hard look at yourself before pointing fingers at people claiming they're inappropriate. We can't constantly accommodate for language barriers of this caliber, and since you're derailing a thread again, I'm going to close it.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

• Information