Killing the forum is killing Reason as we know it

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
phasys

20 Jan 2015

If you don't even want to see the rack, you can do so now! Just use drag and drop in the sequencer! Be a total bonehead without knowing what you're doing, and it will make sound anyway! 

The thing with dropping the forum means that Propellerhead embraces stupidity in music and EDM in particular. Having all the low level knowledge removed corresponds with their new approach in Reason 8.

I should have seen it coming after laying eyes on Reason 8.

Some Desperate Glory

20 Jan 2015

I don't know about that.  People were making the EXACT same comments about DAWs with integrated audio like Studio Vision when they came out.  I suspect the same comments came out when the first MIDI sequencers became available, but that was before my time.

There is always a benefit in knowing what you're doing, and it will help distinguish your music.  I think we can recreate a lot of that lost knowledge here.  It's already in the process of being saved and you're contributing to that!  So thank you.
Still nostalgic about the old days, writing songs with my Amiga 500, Korg M1, and Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler.

Theo.M

20 Jan 2015

phasys wrote:If you don't even want to see the rack, you can do so now! Just use drag and drop in the sequencer! Be a total bonehead without knowing what you're doing, and it will make sound anyway! 

The thing with dropping the forum means that Propellerhead embraces stupidity in music and EDM in particular. Having all the low level knowledge removed corresponds with their new approach in Reason 8.

Not quite getting this.. are you saying the streamlining of creating devices via drag and drop is a bad thing?

motuscott

20 Jan 2015

I haz made a sound.
Where is my pop stardom?
Refund plz.

my name is motuscott and I haz support this haiku.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

phasys

20 Jan 2015

Some Desperate Glory wrote:I don't know about that.  People were making the EXACT same comments about DAWs with integrated audio like Studio Vision when they came out.  I suspect the same comments came out when the first MIDI sequencers became available, but that was before my time.

There is always a benefit in knowing what you're doing, and it will help distinguish your music.  I think we can recreate a lot of that lost knowledge here.  It's already in the process of being saved and you're contributing to that!  So thank you.
We can never save enough in just 2 days. We can only re-invent the wheel again.

phasys

20 Jan 2015

phasys wrote:If you don't even want to see the rack, you can do so now! Just use drag and drop in the sequencer! Be a total bonehead without knowing what you're doing, and it will make sound anyway! 

Theo.M wrote:
Not quite getting this.. are you saying the streamlining of creating devices via drag and drop is a bad thing?
You seriously call that "streamlining"? By making the background process more obscure?

Theo.M

20 Jan 2015

Theo.M wrote:
phasys wrote:
You seriously call that "streamlining"? By making the background process more obscure?
Sure.. to me it's more like other DAW's now where all cabling is done behind the scenes automatically.

That said, this is totally avoidable and one can use the reason rack as always, and lots of cables and manual hookup of everything in all it's glory.. All props have done is provide the choice, no?

phasys

20 Jan 2015

Theo.M wrote: Sure.. to me it's more like other DAW's now where all cabling is done behind the scenes automatically.

That said, this is totally avoidable and one can use the reason rack as always, and lots of cables and manual hookup of everything in all it's glory.. All props have done is provide the choice, no?
Absolutely not, I don't see how this so called drag and drop is any better than clicking a right mouse button. The other daws don't have "cabling behind the screen". The cabling simply isn't there. It's the one thing that Reason has over other daws and well, the whole "don't look at the rack if you don't want to" is ruining it.

Not to mention that new users will learn nothing about signal flow. They'll be the biggest morons in DAW land. I guess that's where Propellerhead wants to go, to be the Miley Cyrus of DAW's.

liampatrickingram

20 Jan 2015

You can still build your sounds from scratch if you want.  You can't deny the convenience of dragging your own custom patches into the sequencer as well as individual samples to different pads on Kong/channels on redrum, because that is sweeeeeeeet!

Theo.M

20 Jan 2015

Theo.M wrote: Sure.. to me it's more like other DAW's now where all cabling is done behind the scenes automatically.

phasys wrote:
Absolutely not, I don't see how this so called drag and drop is any better than clicking a right mouse button. The other daws don't have "cabling behind the screen". The cabling simply isn't there. It's the one thing that Reason has over other daws and well, the whole "don't look at the rack if you don't want to" is ruining it.

Not to mention that new users will learn nothing about signal flow. They'll be the biggest morons in DAW land. I guess that's where Propellerhead wants to go, to be the Miley Cyrus of DAW's.
Sure you don't see how it's an better, but the right click is still there is what I am saying. The choice is up to the user.

The curious, hardcore tweaker types, even if new to Reason, are still going to find there way to the manual cabling method.

phasys

20 Jan 2015

Theo.M wrote: The curious, hardcore tweaker types, even if new to Reason, are still going to find there way to the manual cabling method.
And he's going to lose the whole huge library built in a period over 10 years.

Theo.M

20 Jan 2015

Theo.M wrote: The curious, hardcore tweaker types, even if new to Reason, are still going to find there way to the manual cabling method.
phasys wrote:
I don't know what you mean, so it's obvious I am not one of those types, and love the auto cabling, hold shift to reorder auto cable, drag and drop, etc.. Different strokes.. all valid methods. They are trying to appeal to  users of other DAWs also, to appeal to a wider audience and keep making money.

phasys

20 Jan 2015

phasys wrote:
Theo.M wrote:
I don't know what you mean, so it's obvious I am not one of those types, and love the auto cabling, hold shift to reorder auto cable, drag and drop, etc.. Different strokes.. all valid methods. They are trying to appeal to  users of other DAWs also, to appeal to a wider audience and keep making money.
You don't know what I mean when I say that the whole library of knowledge about Reason is destroyed when Propellerhead is nuking the forum? Is that what you're saying?

Lunesis

20 Jan 2015

Getting a bit hot in here... maybe we should cool it down a little ;)

CharlyCharlzz

20 Jan 2015

I think we got a new home and we just need to do it all again , not a probleme for me because I forgot half of the stuff I learned the past years already :D
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

Theo.M

20 Jan 2015

Lunesis wrote:Getting a bit hot in here... maybe we should cool it down a little ;)
not from me mate, not even the tiniest bit. I have been completely and utterly polite and will continue to do so as promised.

@phasys, yes, i understand what you mean now, by closing the forum, 10 years of knowledge is being wiped out.. We were talking about auto cabling and drag and drop and i saw your comment and took it out of context, didn't realise we had gone back to the forum talk. Cheers.

Lunesis

20 Jan 2015

Lunesis wrote:Getting a bit hot in here... maybe we should cool it down a little ;)
Theo.M wrote:
not from me mate, not even the tiniest bit. I have been completely and utterly polite and will continue to do so as promised.

@phasys, yes, i understand what you mean now, by closing the forum, 10 years of knowledge is being wiped out.. We were talking about auto cabling and drag and drop and i saw your comment and took it out of context, didn't realise we had gone back to the forum talk. Cheers.

You're fine Theo.

I don't want to see people's anger towards the Props' decision to close down the forum get directed at other people members here. Nobody here is at fault for that but the person who made that decision.

phasys

20 Jan 2015

Theo.M wrote:

All good man. I respect you, you're a good guy. No harm done at all, and people shouldn't think that we're in a tangle just because we disagree about something. That's what discussion is all about.

Lunesis

20 Jan 2015

And yes I agree, it sucks. Sounds to me though like Props are going to extend the execution date so certain people can grab the best bits. Not all of it obviously but hopefully we'll see some notables in the tutorial section.

Yorick

20 Jan 2015

Nah, not with Pro Tools, Cubase and Ableton. Pro Tools especially you have to manually route everything. None use a cable image, but they all require you to set sends and receiving, inserts or whatever. Reason just makes it more like a physical studio with the cabling. Great for conceptualization.

axl3man

20 Jan 2015

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?  

Lunesis

20 Jan 2015

axl3man wrote:Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?  
It's fine, because the OP is about Reason. Which actually means I should move this over to the general forum.

Theo.M

20 Jan 2015

Theo.M wrote:

phasys wrote:
All good man. I respect you, you're a good guy. No harm done at all, and people shouldn't think that we're in a tangle just because we disagree about something. That's what discussion is all about.
Yeah me too man! We have had a couple run ins but I always thought you were a cool fellah,and plus, you love cats!

Absolutely, just a discussion with differing viewpoints (well actually not really, cause i agree with you, i was just misunderstanding a couple of your points).

peace !

oh and kitty pics to come (in the lounge don't worry wont go OT) - I just had them groomed and they look soooo beautiful!

Orion

20 Jan 2015

Closer to 13 years, but hey, who's keeping track? :s0403:

Faastwalker

21 Jan 2015

phasys wrote:The thing with dropping the forum means that Propellerhead embraces stupidity in music and EDM in particular. Having all the low level knowledge removed corresponds with their new approach in Reason 8.
I don't really see how dropping the forum equates to that. It's not like it was the only source of good information about using the software. In fact for a while now it's been one of the worst! Kudos to those that have always posted content, tips, tricks, advice, patches etc. But this sort of input has been in the minority for a while now on the Props boards. It felt dead since the last time it died. It never recovered from that for me. Time to move on ;)

• Information