How do i bounce instrument to midi (specific region)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
petecampbell

26 Aug 2023

My problem is as follows i want to bounce to audio only one segment of a midifile.
When i select this segment, and right click--->bounce, the whole midi 3 minute file gets bounced to audio.
I really don't want that, how do i control which part of the midi in the sequencer gets bounced to audio??

WOO

26 Aug 2023

What I did was to take the razor tool, and made a cut at the start and end point of the section of midi then, set the right and left location markers to that section, then clicked on that section to highlight it, then bounced in place. Afterward if you need to, you can then join the section of cutout midi to the whole midi track using the join command.

selig
RE Developer

27 Aug 2023

WOO wrote:
26 Aug 2023
What I did was to take the razor tool, and made a cut at the start and end point of the section of midi then, set the right and left location markers to that section, then clicked on that section to highlight it, then bounced in place. Afterward if you need to, you can then join the section of cutout midi to the whole midi track using the join command.
You don’t need to set the right/left locators with “bounce in place” because any/all selected MIDI and/or audio clip(s) will be bounced with this command even if they are not within the loop markers or even on separate tracks or overlapping. But since it is “clip based” you DO need to separate the clip, which can be moved to a new lane if you don’t want to have to go back and repair the cut after bouncing. To do this, hold “Option” (mac) when using the Razor tool to create a new clip rather than cutting out the old clip. Then select just that new clip and drag it to its own note lane and then ‘bounce’.
Selig Audio, LLC

npinero1

27 Aug 2023

Follow up question: Can I "Bounce in Place" in mono. Every time I bounce in place , I get a stereo file.
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

selig
RE Developer

27 Aug 2023

npinero1 wrote:
27 Aug 2023
Follow up question: Can I "Bounce in Place" in mono. Every time I bounce in place , I get a stereo file.
According to the user guide, Bounce in Place is “post pan pot”, so the bounce will alway be two channels.
They “say” this is because “maybe” there is an insert making the mono track into a stereo track, but that’s something Reason should already know (if there is any insert and if so is it “stereo” or mono). Otherwise, it SHOULD bounce to the same format as the source IMO.

That said, I’d sooner use Bounce Mixer Channels for this since you have the option to avoid inserts etc. And when you bounce a mono file that way you get a mono file as a result.

If you start with a mono audio track, choose Range to Bounce: “Loop”, and either Apply Mixer Setting: “All except fader section” (or “None” if you don’t want the bounce in place effect), and Bounce to: “New tracks in song” as well as “Mute original channels” you end up with the same thing as Bounce in Place except mono sources will still be mono (and the fader won’t affect the final level which is often what I want anyway).
Selig Audio, LLC

WOO

27 Aug 2023

selig wrote:
27 Aug 2023

You don’t need to set the right/left locators with “bounce in place” because any/all selected MIDI and/or audio clip(s) will be bounced with this command even if they are not within the loop markers or even on separate tracks or overlapping. But since it is “clip based” you DO need to separate the clip, which can be moved to a new lane if you don’t want to have to go back and repair the cut after bouncing. To do this, hold “Option” (mac) when using the Razor tool to create a new clip rather than cutting out the old clip. Then select just that new clip and drag it to its own note lane and then ‘bounce’.
Thanks for the tip. :thumbup: Fewer steps. One day I must read rtfm. :lol:

Jackjackdaw

28 Aug 2023

What Reason needs here is a range selector tool in the sequencer.

RRP : 1, Standalone : 0

• Information