Why is the maximum filter freq. 16,17 kHz?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Caelo

05 May 2022

Hi,

I was trying to recreate some sound from YouTube tutorials with Europa and found that the maximum filter cut off (the normal filter not the spectral one) is 16,17 kHz. After looking into different devices, this is also the case in Mimic, Monotone, Grain, and Sweeper. I found that when using a fully open LP filter in these devices there is always a bit of high end missing which makes the sound less bright. When feeding in white noise I was able to adjust the drive and resonance of these filters so that the difference is not audible, but I still find it a bit much to set these parameters so specific each time. I wanted to use the Sweeper filter to use as LP effect with automation, but it changes the sound to much when the filter is fully open (I could just bypass the filter when its not used but this is not what I`m looking for)

My question is: Why is the maximum filter frequency in these devices 16,17 kHz instead of 20 kHz like the one in Serum or other VSTs. Is this part of the emulation of older filters?

Loque

05 May 2022

I can only speculate, but maybe because a lot of ppl cannot hear much about this frequency and it saves CPU. And as you said, you can overcome it a bit with the right Resonance setting.

Personally i never understand such limitations too. Maybe it helps selling 25khz+ "Air" EQs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reason12, Win10

• Information